anyone in favor of eliminating all status programs

luckyinpa

I've yet to find a cruise loyalty program that actually offers anything of value without having to spend upwards of $200,000 US in cruises with them first.  10% off Wifi if you cruise with us ten times .... t h a n k s

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's a hot take. I don't cruise that often and have zero loyalty, but I understand people getting perks and having that loyalty. I travel for a living so I DO have loyalty with American Airlines/OneWorld, Hilton, and National Car Rental, so I totally get the perks of status and loyalty when it comes to travel...it's great. Can't fault people who cruise a lot, are loyal, and find status/perks beneficial. 

As mentioned earlier - don't like it? Don't do it. Nobody is making anyone gain/build loyalty status. But it's nice to be there for those who want it. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2

It seems to be an integral part of just about all businesses these days.  I find MSC very interesting in that they formally publicize a "status matching" program to get people to switch and try their line. 

• Like 1

I agree that the programs are nice and should continue. My issue is the poster that begins with:

"I am Gold / Diamond / Elite / Rare Earth" with XYZ Cruise line. These people seem to think they shouldn't have to see us lowly once or twice a year cruiser.

• Like 1

They are not status programs. They are loyalty programs. I personally don’t have any loyalty to any particular  cruise lines but I  I don’t and won’t reject any perks they hand out.  I also don’t see anything objectionable about them. I am not in favor of eliminating them although I have never booked because of them. I am humored by passengers who act like the loyalty programs are status programs but hey if it floats their boat to wear Pinnacle Pins or the like they did earn them.  . 

• Like 4

FWIW: “Loyalty” and “Preference” are vastly different things.

We have no “loyalty” to any particular brand of goods or services since circumstances may, and often do, change.

That said, we have a Preference for one particular cruise line, which ideally suits our cruise profile including itinerary/demographic/ship/food/service/etc. needs, expectations, budget et al. 
Fortunately, that line’s “Club” perks are significant including sizable SBC on every cruise (at our level = $500) + free gratuities et al. credits/discounts; and we get a complimentary 14 day cruise (anywhere) for each 20 “cruise credits” we amass. That ain’t “chump change.”

so, we’d be opposed to that line dumping it’s Club program (which would never happen anyway).

34 minutes ago, MissyKish said:

I agree that the programs are nice and should continue. My issue is the poster that begins with:

"I am Gold / Diamond / Elite / Rare Earth" with XYZ Cruise line. These people seem to think they shouldn't have to see us lowly once or twice a year cruiser.

ok you can add your statement to my question. they way they look down at us is not nice at all.  im sure youve seen the posts where people say "im elite and so and so blah blah blah' or ive cruised for 30 years on xyz and should be treated better. no you shouldnt, you should be treated the same as a first timer.  one things for sure in the cruise world. not everyone is equal.

also one person recently complained that 75% of their ship was elite. thus it was a less than perfect cruise or they wouldnt even have mentioned it.   seems stressful to be elite and have to keep the peons from messing in the elite pool. 

3 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

As we are Extra Super Pooper on every cruise line known to humans, we...

I really have nothing to add to this conversation, but I am very happy to see something else to write about.

What does the Pin look like when you reach Extra Super Pooper level?

• Like 1

I see no good reason to eliminate loyalty programs for any travel organization.  While the "perks" of some/many are of little use or of little interest to some, other travelers find them to be beneficial or even helps to reduce the cost of their vacation, i.e. free breakfast at an expensive hotel or free laundry on board a ship.  

Before Covid, we really enjoyed the private diamond & concierge lounges with Royal Caribbean.  Nice quiet places to get away from the madding crowd. 😉  But the lounges really got busy & crowded during 'happy hours'.

But the real perk for us is free laundry when you gain 4-Star Mariner on Holland America.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

It seems to be an integral part of just about all businesses these days.  I find MSC very interesting in that they formally publicize a "status matching" program to get people to switch and try their line. 

We did get a free specialty restaurant for our matched status, what I liked better was the ten percent discount for being a veteran.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

also one person recently complained that 75% of their ship was elite. thus it was a less than perfect cruise or they wouldnt even have mentioned it.

When everybody is special, nobody is special.  I believe repositioning cruises are often times more heavily populated with frequent cruises.

1 hour ago, MissyKish said:

What does the Pin look like 

I find the wearing of pins fascinating.  Some people view them as being equivalent to some kind of pseudo rank on the Ship.  All it really indicates is that one has disposable income to spend on vacations. 

39 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

we really enjoyed the private diamond & concierge lounges with Royal Caribbean. 

I like that too!  We have met some really nice people there.

39 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

But the lounges really got busy & crowded during 'happy hours'.

Sometimes they create spill over spaces into the bars on cruises with lots of members.  I have seen this happen on every transatlantic cruise.  We will see what happens post COVID.

29 minutes ago, George C said:

We did get a free specialty restaurant for our matched status

It's something.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

The rewards in “loyalty” programs are not that significant - certainly not enough to justify paying a bit more, or picking a slightly less desirable itinerary by sailing one line rather than another —- and certainly not anything to brag about;  but as long as they are there, why not take advantage of them. 

Airline mileage programs seem to actually offer more — with an occasional free flight, so it often makes sense to pick American over United, for example if you happen to be nearing a threshold  — but even with them, we seem to accrue miles on several - preferring a dollar savings or more convenient time on a particular flight to concentrating on just one.

Eliminate perks because someone's feelings are hurt?  Protect the sensitive from boring braggarts by eliminating loyalty programs?   Come on now.   I could care less if someone thinks they are hot stuff because of their loyalty status.  And, I suspect that most of the time when this comes up, people are just being a tiny bit too insecure.   

I like getting a few free drinks, free laundry, wifi, OBC, discounts, & etc.  Why the heck would I want to discontinue that.     

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The rewards in “loyalty” programs are not that significant - certainly not enough to justify paying a bit more, or picking a slightly less desirable itinerary by sailing one line rather than another —- and certainly not anything to brag about;  but as long as they are there, why not take advantage of them. 

Airline mileage programs seem to actually offer more — with an occasional free flight, so it often makes sense to pick American over United, for example if you happen to be nearing a threshold  — but even with them, we seem to accrue miles on several - preferring a dollar savings or more convenient time on a particular flight to concentrating on just one.

I think we should eliminate first class upgrades.  Those people think they are special because they get to board earlier and have more leg room.  They even have their own line!   It just isn't fair and I feel threatened every time I have to pass through on my way to my seat.   Well, unless I get an upgrade, that is.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I think we should eliminate first class upgrades.  Those people think they are special because they get to board earlier and have more leg room.  They even have their own line!   It just isn't fair and I feel threatened every time I have to pass through on my way to my seat.   Well, unless I get an upgrade, that is.  

Why stop at that?  Let’s seal in balcony cabins on cruise ships - so everyone gets an inside — and, in stead of having premium restaurants just for folks wanting to flaunt their disposable income, how about adding meal charges to every fare - and have just one cafeteria serving everyone the same food.  This should go a long way towards satisfying the egalitarians.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why stop at that?  Let’s seal in balcony cabins on cruise ships - so everyone gets an inside — and, in stead of having premium restaurants just for folks wanting to flaunt their disposable income, how about adding meal charges to every fare - and have just one cafeteria serving everyone the same food.  This should go a long way towards satisfying the egalitarians.

"and have just one cafeteria serving everyone the same food."

Yep, Soylent Green.   😄