Escargot--Yes or No?

Roxydog15

49 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

It's delicious! love escargot!

I use to order 2 plates of escargot every night for over 15 years. Who remembers the escargot shortage of 2013. It was a rough year. I know who would think that there would be a world wide shortage of escargot.

I remember that and was heartbroken.  We happened to be on a Celebrity ship and they found some for us.  YES!!!!!

After a year and a half of no cruises, I finally was able to board a ship last month and ordered my escargot ... it was extra good.  My DH just watches as I eat them ... he's not impressed.  

• Like 1

Yes, order it several times in a week.  Has to be broiling hot though.  We tried it in a restaurant in our area and it was awful but love it on Celebrity.

I look at cruising as a chance to try something new without having to pay for it in a restaurant.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

2 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

So after years of giving my husband a hard time for probably being the only one who orders this in MDR, and that X stocks it just for him, thought I would toss it out there..

Do many of you ever order Escargot?

Definitely!  As others have mentioned, I also dip the breads in the garlic butter. 😁🐌🧄🧈🥖🧡

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

So after years of giving my husband a hard time for probably being the only one who orders this in MDR, and that X stocks it just for him, thought I would toss it out there..

Do many of you ever order Escargot?

Double order please with some extra bread for dipping!

• Like 1

I love escargot, too.  Maybe I just love the garlic butter 😉  Just like sushi -- maybe it's just the soy sauce/wasabi combination!  My husband loves the shrimp cocktail; he just discovered he likes the cocktail sauce (where's he been -- I've been telling him this for years)!

I'll order them only once per cruise.  Too many other fine foods to try...

Well I guess I need to cut DH some slack due to the overwhelming loyalty to this dish.  

"joand452" I agree, and shrimp must be eaten with gobs of cocktail sauce!  All the things to try is one of the great things about cruisen'!

Thanks for all these great replies 🙂 

OOOOHHHHHH Yes! And I think Celebrity does a homerun on it. The only difference between Celebrity escargot and some in one of our local fine diner is they are in a shell here. But I like the X more; and I need a ton of bread with it!

Never quite understand the ‘slimy’ comment since they aren’t. 

I got introduced to pickled herring also in the X buffet. When I got home, I immediately got a big bottle of them…..it isn’t the same! Must taste better when sitting in a steel ‘container’ that is sliding though salt water! 

Den

• Like 1

Let’s kick it up a notch…anyone ever seen stuffed Quahogs on board (to most you probably know as stuffed clams, but in New England we have to change the name of everything)!  If you have, how were they?  

6 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yes, order it several times in a week.  Has to be broiling hot though.  We tried it in a restaurant in our area and it was awful but love it on Celebrity.

I look at cruising as a chance to try something new without having to pay for it in a restaurant.

You are so right ... Celebrity's presentation and taste is top tier! Your making me want to cruise again just to get at the escargot!

Would try the stuffed clams if I have the opportunity but always have the escargot with a second appetiser every night.

Whilst the Celebrity bread is great it is one vice I avoid on cruises when I am gorging myself every night. 

Unfortunately our young labrador is fascinated with house snails which are not edible and carry parasites, so Drontal for her and I chuck them over the fence.

I will eat them at least once on a cruise, however as I have gotten older, large doses of garlic will cause me issues at night. My wife will usually eat one of mine so that we each have garlic breath for the night, LOL