Number of Passengers Onboard

lakemurraykid

This is a curiosity question...is Princess limiting the number of  passengers on board?  I'm particularly interested about the Enchanted November 20, 2021 cruise.  I did a mock booking and there right at 100 mini suites still available.  However, the club minis were practically gone. There were also a good number of balcony cabins as well.  They weren't just scattered around the deck, they were in clusters (together).  I know...curiosity killed the cat...

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Current CDC guidelines require them to sail at 60% or less.

That's what I thought, too.

This thread has a link to an update on princess restarting.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2805473-cruising-out-of-florida/

This page:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25961-princess-cruises-restart-latest-updates-on-dates-and-locations.html

...has entries like:

Caribbean Princess

Capacity at 100%: 3,100

Date: November 28, 2021

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale (United States)

Length: 7 nights

Itinerary: Princess Cays, St. Thomas and St. Kitts

It's confusing ... is the 'Capacity at 100%' just an aside, or is it a statement?

From what I've read here on CC, my August 8th cruise on Majestic had the highest number of passengers booked as it was at 90% capacity.  After that the number fell significantly which coincided with the testing requirement instituted on the next cruise after our's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Roberto256its how many could possibly be onboard if sailing at100% capacity and does not take into account that almost 1/4 of Dolphin Deck is blocked off for possible quarantine 

It's a little hard to guess, as princess seems to be constantly changing the playing field...

I think they only way to ensure that a ship sails at reduced capacity is to require everyone to

use only the App to get on board!

51zLZbEVSTL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

• Haha 5

We are doing a B2B out of LA in December.  Really hoping that it will be low capacity - one because it is so close to the holidays and the other because they are required to limit passengers. 

We never had a problem with the crowds - only getting tender passes or going to the shows, but that would not be a problem with less people.

Have two cruises booked for 2022 so far - hope the low capacity in December won't spoil us if the ships are back to full capacity in 2022

57 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

Really hoping that it will be low capacity - one because it is so close to the holidays and the other because they are required to limit passengers. 

I do not believe that the current CSO has any restrictions as to the percentage of passengers allowed on a cruise.  Any limits currently in place are voluntary by the cruise line.   In a recent Majestic Alaska "Live" thread, it was noted that the ship was at near 90% capacity.

21 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I do not believe that the current CSO has any restrictions as to the percentage of passengers allowed on a cruise.  Any limits currently in place are voluntary by the cruise line.   In a recent Majestic Alaska "Live" thread, it was noted that the ship was at near 90% capacity.

Princess has been starting off their ships and moving it on up to full capacity within the following month.  They are only now limited to how many people are booking on the Majestic and the Grand.  Not sure about those in Europe right now.  We were on the inaugural sailings after the pause on both the Majestic and the Grand, which were limited to 60% and 70% respectively.  The Majestic was filled to their capacity limit and the Grand (we did a B2B) didn't make it anywhere near the 70% mark on either sailing on our B2B.  The second leg actually had less than 1000 whereas the first leg was just a bit over that.  I understand the Oct 4th sailing had even less than our Sept 30th leg.  

So, the capacity is only limited by the number of people booking at this point.  

As some people on our cruises noted, enjoy it while it lasts!  Ships will be back to full capacity before we know it.  It is rather wonderful being able to go to a show and there are plenty of seats to choose from, even in the smaller venues.  No lines are crowds anywhere and oooo ... the ships are soooo very clean.  

• Like 3

Hi,

I am booked on the October 30 cruise on the Majestic Princess. It will be interesting to see how many passengers are on the cruise. In July, I took a seven-day cruise on the Celebrity Summit and there were only 400 passengers (on a ship with capacity for over 2,000). This was wonderful, but obviously cruise lines can't sail for very long with such reduced numbers.

Chuck

While the CSO scheduled to expire at the end of this month its projected by many to be extended, it seems logical though that with the elevated  state of vaccinations and vastly increase testing requirements that of all the CSO requirements that capacity limits would be the least likely to be extended. With the recent dismal load numbers it appears the cruise market place has proven once again that when it comes to Covid nervous and reluctant passengers, along with all the current mandates will regulate capacity loads much better than any written words from DC.

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1

I sailed on the Majestic to Alaska in Aug. We had about 2500 on board with I believe a capacity of 3600. They only opened the aft portions of the buffet and there were never any lines or problems finding seating.

• Like 1

I have noticed blocks of state rooms not showing up in the booking system online.

They are not marked as sold out. Just not shown at all. Not sure if they are being held back until the pandemic situation improves or if they are blocks that have been chartered

6 hours ago, srpilo said:

With the recent dismal load numbers it appears the cruise market place has proven once again that when it comes to Covid nervous and reluctant passengers, along with all the current mandates will regulate capacity loads much better than any written words from DC.

The worry about being able to get a Covid test within two days of boarding and having the results back in time to embark has caused a number of people to cancel their bookings  and an unknown number not to book at all.

And that 2 day requirement is from the CDC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

I have noticed blocks of state rooms not showing up in the booking system online.

They are not marked as sold out. Just not shown at all. Not sure if they are being held back until the pandemic situation improves or if they are blocks that have been chartered

About 1/4 of Dolphin Deck was blocked off for possible quarantining per Hotel Mgr Jasper.  He stated it would be this way on all ships. I actually walked there and sure enough, it was closed. All taped up. So if these are the rooms you are referring to, that's why

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brisalta said:

I think they are booking cabins in blocks so that they are all together and not dotted around so making servicing them easier for the cabin stewards without large gaps of unused cabins.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Don’t want this to sound sarcastic but the sailing capacity for each cruise will equal the number of rooms they can book.

There is no way to really know what it is until you board as that’s not public info that you can find out in advance

So it might be 50% or 100% or in between

It actually cannot be 100% if they block off cabins to be used in case of a need for Covid quarantines.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 7:16 AM, Ombud said:

@Roberto256its how many could possibly be onboard if sailing at100% capacity and does not take into account that almost 1/4 of Dolphin Deck is blocked off for possible quarantine 

Is the quarantine on the Dolphin deck?  I kind of wondered where those rooms were located.  

I know they give the quarantined passengers at least a balcony ...