Number of Passengers Onboard

lakemurraykid

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Is the quarantine on the Dolphin deck?  I kind of wondered where those rooms were located.  

I know they give the quarantined passengers at least a balcony ...

It is on the Majestic and its my understanding that it is on other ships. One side starting in mid aft to back.

I decided to never sail without a  balcony after what happened on the Diamond and Grand. At least with a balcony I can get fresh air & look outside. 

So if they need to quarantine people on a ship, it needs to be in a room with at least a balcony.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I decided to never sail without a  balcony after what happened on the Diamond and Grand. At least with a balcony I can get fresh air & look outside. 

So if they need to quarantine people on a ship, it needs to be in a room with at least a balcony.

Same here, no Insides or Window cabins for us ever again!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Was on quickie Majestic, got off Sat.  Was told around 50%.

And yes, part of Dolphin deck was sealed off, Port side.

We were on Starboard.

So, we are looking at booking an aft balcony room on the Dolphin deck on the 10/30 Majestic.  Do you think that would be "safe"? how close were the quarantine rooms to the aft? 

2 hours ago, loris1021 said:

So, we are looking at booking an aft balcony room on the Dolphin deck on the 10/30 Majestic.  Do you think that would be "safe"? how close were the quarantine rooms to the aft? 

I would be more concerned with the soot on Royal Class ships.  Not only is it dirty, it stinks.

On 10/10/2021 at 7:16 AM, Ombud said:

@Roberto256its how many could possibly be onboard if sailing at100% capacity and does not take into account that almost 1/4 of Dolphin Deck is blocked off for possible quarantine 

Very good point.  Here is where a statistics class is fun.

As an example, with even numbers to work with.

Let's take a ship capable of 2000 passengers,  and room for 500 blocked off for possible quarantine.

As far as the CDC is concerned, 2000 times 60% = 1200 passengers.

As far as Prince$$ is concerned, and yes $$ is their main concern.  They have a lot of debt to pay back. Maximum capacity is 1500 passengers, so 1200 passengers out of 1500 passengers = 80%.

I think that is why we are getting varying reports of passenger capacity.

So far, in most cases, I think actual bookings are the limiting factor.

5 hours ago, loris1021 said:

I would think it probably would be safe because they wouldn’t put passengers at risk knowingly……however we had dolphin aft booked and after finding out the quarantine cabins may be in this area, changed our stateroom a couple floors up.

Diane

5 hours ago, loris1021 said:

If passengers are quarantined by definition they cannot leave the room. Therefore it should not make a difference if your cabin is somewhat near the quarantine area.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, leaneff said:

Just off the phone with my Princess Travel Agent.  I was told it is fluid and changing, but currently bookings are at 65% maximum.

Did she say what the tour capacities will be? If ship capacity is 65%, are tours the same? They canceled one of my minibus excursions and replaced it with a 50 capacity bus for $15 more (added 3/4 mile walk + fruit buffet). Wondering if I should book an independent excursion for same price (12 person max capacity)

Edited by Ombud

On 10/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, Ombud said:

So if they need to quarantine people on a ship, it needs to be in a room with at least a balcony.   Yup, I got Noro going around the horn of S. America and they quarantined my butt in the room (not that I cared for the 1st day).  They would call periodically to make sure I hadn't left the room.  I also told I would be put off the ship at the nearest port if I disobeyed this order.   Had I not had a balcony, I would have gone bat ***** crazy.   

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Did she say what the tour capacities will be? If ship capacity is 65%, are tours the same? They canceled one of my minibus excursions and replaced it with a 50 capacity bus for $15 more (added 3/4 mile walk + fruit buffet). Wondering if I should book an independent excursion for same price (12 person max capacity).     My first thought would be to do the private tour, then I started thinking that perhaps Princess does a Covid Test of all the excursion guides, drivers, etc.  I would hope they are doing this.   That would make me feel a little bit better than opting for a private tour without knowing if they've been tested.   I guess it boils down to what makes you feel safer.

Edited by cruzin4us
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m on the October 31st cruise from San Francisco on the Ruby Princess & I just looked & all categories of staterooms are available. Like other people have said there is no way to know in advance how many people will be on any ship. Even if someone reported the number on their cruise it could change from one cruise to the next. 

Tom😀 

• Like 1

On my Majestic cruise in August, one of the cruise director's staff talked about having been in quarantine during the previous cruise. She was in a balcony cabin and could talk to her neighbors--also in quarantine. I noticed the fire doors closed on the Dolphin Deck at the front of the ship on the port side. My cabin was on the starboard side near the middle of the ship. 

7 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Very good point.  Here is where a statistics class is fun.

As an example, with even numbers to work with.

Let's take a ship capable of 2000 passengers,  and room for 500 blocked off for possible quarantine.

As far as the CDC is concerned, 2000 times 60% = 1200 passengers.

As far as Prince$$ is concerned, and yes $$ is their main concern.  They have a lot of debt to pay back. Maximum capacity is 1500 passengers, so 1200 passengers out of 1500 passengers = 80%.

I think that is why we are getting varying reports of passenger capacity.

So far, in most cases, I think actual bookings are the limiting factor.

That seems statistically correct because as far as Princess is concerned the ship now has a maximum capacity of 1500 passengers.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Did she say what the tour capacities will be? If ship capacity is 65%, are tours the same? They canceled one of my minibus excursions and replaced it with a 50 capacity bus for $15 more (added 3/4 mile walk + fruit buffet). Wondering if I should book an independent excursion for same price (12 person max capacity)

My thought is that the 50 capacity bus will only utilize some of the seats so that the participants can be separated sufficiently. The independent excursion may have everyone crammed together including people not from your ship.

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

On my Majestic cruise in August, one of the cruise director's staff talked about having been in quarantine during the previous cruise. She was in a balcony cabin and could talk to her neighbors--also in quarantine. I noticed the fire doors closed on the Dolphin Deck at the front of the ship on the port side. My cabin was on the starboard side near the middle of the ship. 

That was our experience as well.  We were also Dophin/9  midship near Pano elevators.

I would not feel uncomfortable booking on Dolphin.  Their quaratine area is sealed off.

We got back from two back to back on the Grand (4 day to San Diego and Ensenada and 5 day to Cabo).  The information we heard was there were around 850 on the 4 day and 700 on the 5 day so just over 30% on the 4 day and under 30% for the 5 day.