Lost Luggage - FtLauderdale Nov 19

Lauren14

Really annoying finish this morning  to a GREAT 13 day cruise on Equinox.  One bag never made it from outside our room to the terminal building for pickup. No Celebrity personnel well-versed in what we should do with only 2 hrs to catch a flight and no advice on any quick solutions to the problem.  We just left for the airport one bag down and spent 2 hrs after getting home just trying to talk to the right person.  Turns out their solution is for us to file a claim on a non-Celebrity website and wait to see what happens.

Anyone have this happen and was your luggage found?

34 minutes ago, Lauren14 said:

Really annoying finish this morning  to a GREAT 13 day cruise on Equinox.  One bag never made it from outside our room to the terminal building for pickup. No Celebrity personnel well-versed in what we should do with only 2 hrs to catch a flight and no advice on any quick solutions to the problem.  We just left for the airport one bag down and spent 2 hrs after getting home just trying to talk to the right person.  Turns out their solution is for us to file a claim on a non-Celebrity website and wait to see what happens.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I can't help with any advice. The problem will be who handled the bag last, Celebrity or the terminal people.  A few years ago we sailed out of Bayonne and as we did, you could see several bags floating in the water.  I'm sure they were likely never retrieved.  The little silver lining is that it got lost after the cruise, and not before you sailed . Imagine having to buy cheesy tourist t-shirts  to wear and rinsing your undies in the sink every day.

• Haha 1

It is possible another passenger picked it up mistaking it for theirs.  I hope you had clear up to date contact information on and inside your bag.

A few years ago we disembarked in Rome and along with 2 other couples shared a car to Rome.  When we got to the 1st couples hotel the women realized she had taken the wrong  bag when leaving the port. The husband hired a taxi to drive back to the port to return the one take. In error and hopefully find theirs.  Since we didn’t know them we never heard how it turned out.  

There are a lot of careless passengers pick up luggage and go.

The only way to avoid this happening is make your luggage stand out.

Who ever touches it will know right away they got the wrong one.

I always put two tags in one luggage.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had lost luggage pre cruise...airline didn't load them on our flight....took 3 days but one piece caught up to us at our second port....2nd piece arrived when we returned home.  On another occasion the airline didn't put our luggage on the belt (but on the floor) in NYC;  it also made it to our home a week later.  In the pre cruise Equinox case, the Purser made every attempt to follow the luggage and get it to us as quickly as possible. After cruise they may follow it as well if it's their responsibility.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

What a disaster.  So sorry. One thing I did was purchase an Apple AirTag  and put it in my bag.  You can then track it with the Find My Iphone function.  

AirTag - Apple

Thanks so much for posting this link!  I am going to order 4 to attach to luggage & DH's keys!!

• Like 3

One piece of our luggage was nowhere to be found in the terminal after we disembarked in Quebec. After searching for an hour and filing a claim,  it finally was returned by someone that realized it wasn't their's when they got to the airport.

The claims person said it happens more than you would think. They would have shipped to me if it was returned after our flight.

Good luck

24 minutes ago, 39august said:

I am sure your travel insurance policy will cover lost luggage. That is standard for a travel policy. 

IF you took travel insurance. I never do.  However, in the event of a loss, you may recoup from  your credit card you purchased your ticket with or your home owner's policy. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lauren14 said:

When we came off Equinox in September one of our bags was missing.   I told an agent who had a walkiTalki and she asked my name and looked at a clipboard.    She the went to the ship and returned in 2 minutes.  

She said my bag was on the other side of Customs.   Someone had accidental picked up my bag and already cleared customs so could not bring it back in.    The agent by the door confirmed my name and gave me my bag.

How this happened I have no idea as the bag was a rather unusual Canvas Overstuffed Blue Canvas bag that had my name on it.

At least I had it so did not have to file a claim.

From the other message looks like I not the only one that had a bag mistakenly picked up.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From the other message looks like I not the only one that had a bag mistakenly picked up.

Reminds me of the time that I basically had to wrestle my bag from someone who insisted he had the right bag. He totally didn’t notice that the handles were different and that mine had a flower luggage tag on it. He may have been shocked when he opened my bag at home. 

I was almost was knocked to the ground once when disembarking at the Pan Am pier in San Juan. As we were leaving the baggage collection area in the terminal with the porter who put all our larger luggage (same color, brand and additional markings I put on each) on a dolly, some guy came running up to us yelling stop, you've got one of our pieces of luggage. We all stopped and before he could put a hand on our luggage I blocked him. Once he saw all the orange ribbons on our luggage he mumbled something like our ribbons are red and just stormed off. I just shock my head at the porter and we proceeded thru customs. One of our concerns at the cruise terminals and baggage claim at the airports are those that just grab and go. 

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We had lost luggage pre cruise...airline didn't load them on our flight....took 3 days but one piece caught up to us at our second port....2nd piece arrived when we returned home.  On another occasion the airline didn't put our luggage on the belt (but on the floor) in NYC;  it also made it to our home a week later.  In the pre cruise Equinox case, the Purser made every attempt to follow the luggage and get it to us as quickly as possible. After cruise they may follow it as well if it's their responsibility.

When it comes to airlines one nice thing about several of the airline apps (Delta and United for example) is that you track your luggage status while in route.  You can make sure that the luggage makes it onto each flight.  Had one bag miss a flight.  Was able to notify the airline during a connection and they made sure it was on another flight going to the same destination.  While it took a different route I could track what flight number it was on and was able to retrieve it 30 minutes after my original flight landed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had this happen departing in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Can't remember which. There was a table set up to report missing bags. I reported it as missing and was given a card with a number to call to check if it was found. We were halfway into our 3 hour drive home when we got a call that our bag was found. It had been put in the wrong number group. They wanted us to drive back and get the bag. We told them that we couldn't do that.  They told me that we would have to pay to get the bag delivered. When we got home, I called the number and pitched a fit and my bag was delivered a couple of days later -- no charge.

• Like 1

I have gotten in the habit of photographing my bags. I had a garment bag go missing once when boarding and the photo helped the cruise line quickly locate the bag. I also try to put something on the bag to make it look different from other bags.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, verizon said:

There are a lot of careless passengers pick up luggage and go.

The only way to avoid this happening is make your luggage stand out.

Who ever touches it will know right away they got the wrong one.

I always put two tags in one luggage.

I put a tag on EACH handle of my luggage; (and my luggage has three handles; top, side & bottom)!

After a Princess cruise we had the same scenario--both our suitcases out to the hall at the same time, my husband's never maade it to the terminal.  Or, more likely, it was picked up there by another passenger by mistake.

Princess helped us look, but otherwise had no other way to help.  They did give us a free ride to the airport!!.  Received a measly $250 from them as compensation.  Even the suitcase cost more than that!

I just bought new luggage and I bought the most distinctively different that I could stomach. It's black and white hounds tooth with a rainbow stripe down each side.  I couldn't quite bring myself to buy the line green with pink detailing.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

They have lithium batteries, so good question.

Per the FAA ---

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. ... With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams).