Incorrect Ports - Compensation?

ElisMum23

56 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

LOL yeah I know. I just wanted to contact them ASAP if these ports have and will continue to be known no-gos. I do understand things happen. It's just frustrating that they didn't even mention that they currently were both closed when I booked. I would have considered something different. 

My upcoming 5/22 Harmony cruise still shows Labadee and Falmouth.   There is talk about Labadee opening soon, but I would just as soon go to Costa Maya or Cozumel anyway.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That's only if you get a sea day. If they are replaced you MIGHT get the difference but maybe not per my ta.

Your TA is incorrect.  If there is a difference in port charges due to a port of call change or cancelation an adjustment is made to the booking record.   Sea days have no bearing on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElisMum23 said:

LOL yeah I know. I just wanted to contact them ASAP if these ports have and will continue to be known no-gos. I do understand things happen. It's just frustrating that they didn't even mention that they currently were both closed when I booked. I would have considered something different. 

Let me get this right.  You wanted them to say "Your cruise is seven months away, but just so you know those ports are currently both closed"?   

You know ANY port can get changed or substituted in the last minute.  Just because a port is closed (or open) today, doesn't mean that's going to be the case next week, much less seven months from now.  

They don't know if the ports will be closed seven months from now, so all they could tell you is they might be closed (or otherwise missed), which you already know.  Sorry, I really don't get your complaint.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

At that point, when we stopped off to exchange crew members on that very early Monday....I thought..

"Ok" so we made our PVSA requirement.  Could have legally just spun around at sea the rest of the week..  😮  Though I know they had to fuel up the tank at St. Maarten.  😉 

Are you still on board this week? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Let me get this right.  You wanted them to say "Your cruise is seven months away, but just so you know those ports are currently both closed"?   

You know ANY port can get changed or substituted in the last minute.  Just because a port is closed (or open) today, doesn't mean that's going to be the case next week, much less seven months from now.  

They don't know if the ports will be closed seven months from now, so all they could tell you is they might be closed (or otherwise missed), which you already know.  Sorry, I really don't get your complaint.

Last week on Harmony, we didn't know from day to day...or even hour to hour what port we would end up in ....if any at all!  😮    Was originally western when I booked...then eastern by the time it got close...then St. Thomas replaced by St. Kitts, then back to St. Thomas again and ended up not even going to St. Thomas (sea day).  

Didn't bother me.  I was just happy to be on a ship...going anywhere!  😄 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well put.  And that is the reason no mention is made of the current issues.  The itinerary in question is intending and scheduled to go to those ports of call on the dates planned and until that changes, that is the plan.  Impossible to predict the future that far out and unnecessary to have the reps identify the current conditions. 

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

My upcoming 5/22 Harmony cruise still shows Labadee and Falmouth.   There is talk about Labadee opening soon, but I would just as soon go to Costa Maya or Cozumel anyway.  

About 10 wks away and still Scheduled Labadee, may happen lot can change in "2 Covid Months" Be my first return there since few weeks after 9/11 and first Cruise with my Grand Daughter

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, our B2B was 1/2 and 1/9.  Got back home on Sunday for laundry...and the dreaded ironing (ugh!!).  Will be packing for Odyssey end of next week...another B2B.  

The one bright side of cancelling our second leg and not visiting any ports on the first leg is that we really didn't have a lot of laundry to do. Most of the dressier clothes went back into the suitcases exactly as they were when we originally packed them.😇

Everything is now hung up just waiting to be repacked for our February cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The one bright side of cancelling our second leg and not visiting any ports on the first leg is that we really didn't have a lot of laundry to do. Most of the dressier clothes went back into the suitcases exactly as they were when we originally packed them.😇

Everything is now hung up just waiting to be repacked for our February cruise.

I hope you like that one better but I have my doubts that you will

47 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your TA is incorrect.  If there is a difference in port charges due to a port of call change or cancelation an adjustment is made to the booking record.   Sea days have no bearing on this.

Recent passengers are being told the refund only happens if the total port charges as of today are less than you paid at time of booking.

Now if a port gets cancelled due to failing the local covid limitations, you stand a good chance of getting one day's worth of refundable OBC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even before covid and political unrest, ports have been changed/cancelled due to weather or other factors, with just a few hours notice, i.e. while onboard.  While disappointing to those who were looking forward to a particular port, there's not much that can be done.  

It's just nice being on a ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You only get full compensation if a port is missed and you have a sea day. Though lately if a port is totally missed rcl often gives a prorated refund ... read some live threads.

My ta is almost never incorrect so I suspect you are confused.

Let's say when I book port fees and taxes are 127, new ports now its 111 ... I cant price match and get it unless there is a new booking. By sept when I actually go the port fees may have gone up on the replaced ports. There is no guarantee i will get any obc for the changed ports. Sorry but my ta is excellent .. correcting the wrong person. 

I have a slew of booked cruises in my signature and several have changed. I'm well aware of how it works. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You only get full compensation if a port is missed and you have a sea day. Though lately if a port is totally missed rcl often gives a prorated refund ... read some live threads.

My ta is almost never incorrect so I suspect you are confused.

Let's say when I book port fees and taxes are 127, new ports now its 111 ... I cant price match and get it unless there is a new booking. By sept when I actually go the port fees may have gone up on the replaced ports. There is no guarantee i will get any obc for the changed ports. Sorry but my ta is excellent .. correcting the wrong person. 

I have a slew of booked cruises in my signature and several have changed. I'm well aware of how it works. 

I am not confused.  The discussion is only with regards to port fees.  And I am not talking about an adjustment to port fees paid that have changed since they were paid.

What I am saying is if a port of call is canceled you will receive a refund for the amount paid in port fees for that missed port of call.  If a new port of call is scheduled in its place an adjustment for that port of call's fees relative to the missed port of call is made to the booking. Happens all the time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Recent passengers are being told the refund only happens if the total port charges as of today are less than you paid at time of booking.

Now if a port gets cancelled due to failing the local covid limitations, you stand a good chance of getting one day's worth of refundable OBC

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not confused.  The discussion is only with regards to port fees.  And I am not talking about an adjustment to port fees paid that have changed since they were paid.

What I am saying is if a port of call is canceled you will receive a refund for the amount paid in port fees for that missed port of call.  If a new port of call is scheduled in its place an adjustment for that port of call's fees relative to the missed port of call is made to the booking. Happens all the time.

I kept up with the harmony thread john was on last week. They got a pro rated amount back equal to 1/7 of the cruisefare they paid not necessarily what they paid.

He has the same TA as I do. I've read others who got a pro rated amount of cruisefare back. I'm going to trust john and some others before you. 

While I know in the past things have been handed differently .. I've read posts by trusted posters. Ok believe what you want that multiple posters made up what they received. But good luck. Argue away. I'm saying it's being handled sometimes differently than what you believe. Read some live posts from cruisers. 

PS I'm pretty sure if you search john and others posted a rcl letter they received in their cabin regarding the pro rated cruisefare refund when they missed a port. I've seen it in print. Vs what was in the past you insist is how rcl does it. 

Edited by firefly333

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Happens all the time.

What happened in the past may not happen now. As @John&LaLa mentioned, most reporting recently suggests that RCI is using new term and conditions which say that only when the overall port fees for the whole sailing go below what you paid ( for what ever reason, like a missed port) do you get on board OBC. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I kept up with the harmony thread john was on last week. They got a pro rated amount back equal to 1/7 of the cruisefare they paid not necessarily what they paid.

He has the same TA as I do. I've read others who got a pro rated amount of cruisefare back. I'm going to trust john and some others before you. 

While I know in the past things have been handed differently .. I've read posts by trusted posters. Ok believe what you want that multiple posters made up what they received. But good luck. Argue away. I'm saying it's being handled sometimes differently than what you believe. Read some live posts from cruisers. 

PS I'm pretty sure if you search john and others posted a rcl letter they received in their cabin regarding the pro rated cruisefare refund when they missed a port. I've seen it in print. Vs what was in the past you insist is how rcl does it. 

I was on that sailing as well.  We got back 1 days cruise fare for missing St Thomas in refundable OBC- i already have the credit posted to my credit card.

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, the ships can miss ports due to weather as well. If that doesn't sit well with you then maybe cruising is not for you. The reason the person on the phone at Royal reservations didn't mention it is because they cannot predict what may happen next week, let alone 7 months from now. Currently everyone needs to be flexible with expections or wait until a later time. The weather reason can happen any time. 

They couldn't dock at Coco Cay the other day due to high winds and the waves going over the dock so it wasn't safe to. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was on January 2 and January 9 Harmony cruise. 

St.  Thomas was canceled both weeks. The first week we received OBC equal to 1/7 of our cruise only fare.  The second week we received OBC equal to 1/7 of our cruise only fare PLUS some small amount of money. Our  additional amount over the 1/7 was $17 or so per person, but others had slightly different amounts.

The obc was refundable but we had enough sea pass charges that it was used up on board. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

No, our B2B was 1/2 and 1/9.  Got back home on Sunday for laundry...and the dreaded ironing (ugh!!).  Will be packing for Odyssey end of next week...another B2B.  

(Too bad you're on the other side of the continent from me:  I love to iron......I'd totally do it for you.)

• Like 3

We have to go easy on people who post like the OP is here.  It's a shock to find out what current day cruising is like.  It's like we all have to adopt a "OH, we are going to a port?" attitude, and believe it when we see it.  

I mean let's face it:  many of us couldn't even go out of our houses a little less than 2 years ago, let alone keep cruising.  

So, gentle, people, gentle.  

Me? I'm all yippy-skippy, cruise endorphines popping in my system.  I'm leaving in 3 days!!

Bonus:  I got to Zoom and watch my 6 year old (today) granddaughter open all her birthday gifts!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1