Online Travel Agency's?

Harrylinden

Yes, we can’t list specific companies/online agencies. But In response to the OP, I understand many are reliable. I’ve used a few, but I now use a local Travel Advisor. I found the online TA’s to be more of a Booking Agency, and that was it. If I had issues, I’d end up with another ‘TA’ than I started with and had to go through lots of discussions and so on. Or I’d hear about some change, (usually here!), and go to the online contact, they never came to me with any changes. So I went to a local professional who i work with directly. Just my experience. 

So I’d suggest if going to use an online agency, get one that you then have direct contact with the TA you are working with, a direct contact email/ph# with them, not the general site. 

Enjoy 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Please note that we are not allowed to name TAs on these boards. 

Just do your research before hand.

I'm fully aware we aren't allowed to name Online TA's. Just want to know opinions of other's who might  have used them, If they are reliable  or not?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Yes, we can’t list specific companies/online agencies. But In response to the OP, I understand many are reliable. I’ve used a few, but I now use a local Travel Advisor. I found the online TA’s to be more of a Booking Agency, and that was it. If I had issues, I’d end up with another ‘TA’ than I started with and had to go through lots of discussions and so on. Or I’d hear about some change, (usually here!), and go to the online contact, they never came to me with any changes. So I went to a local professional who i work with directly. Just my experience. 

So I’d suggest if going to use an online agency, get one that you then have direct contact with the TA you are working with, a direct contact email/ph# with them, not the general site. 

Enjoy 

Thank You for your advice. It is appreciated and well taken!!!

31 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

Are they good and reliable to book with? Never done it but seems like they have some good perks to get!  Just curious because I always go directly through the Cruise line to book!

you'll find both the good and the bad.  Won't know until you try, good luck.

• Like 1

Ask questions before making any arrangements. Some charge fees. Get one that does NOT. Be sure you have contact information for your specific agent. Also be sure the agency is open weekends. Some times over the past several years, I saw a rate change on a weekend that my agent wasn't working, but another agent at the company  was willing and able to  help me.  I get excellent service/response time from my TA. I also get significant refundable OBC for every cruise.  AND for any changes or questions, he is the one who has to call and wait on hold for the answers, not me. 

Edited by 39august
  • Like 3

There so many different travel agencies out there. Like a million of them. Some of them are trustworthy while others are not so much. I would be very carefull choosing between them. Read reviews, talk to people taking those cruises and etc. There is a lot fraud in that field. 

No travel company should charge a fee for cruise bookings. Most do not and if there is any inference of that, run away quick. Some will charge a fee for airline bookings, which is done by ourselves so easily, or part of the cruise contract which is done by the Line, and I understand that. They get nothing from the airlines. 

One example to watch out for and ask about and that is deposit refunds. Even with fully refundable bookings, some TA’s do not refund all or any of the deposit as a charge for their work that doesn’t pan out. Most of the time (I say that because I’m not an expert), TA’s only make money when the cruise/booking is executed, so some charge you by taking part of the deposit you get back for cancelations. I made a major mistake once. I thought I was booking directly with a Cruise Line and booked with a company with a very close name. When I canceled and the actual Line allowed full refund, the Booker kept my refund and not a minor amount. Went through big efforts getting it back.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

Just be careful and get all the information ahead of time. We have booked with one online TA that we were not impressed with. While they say "no cancellation fees" in big words on with site, it's for flights only. They do charge cancellation fees for cruises. Also, they were offering OBC based on the amount of the cruise, but when you booked it was only on NCF which took us into a different fare bracket.

We have often used one online TA that we find to be very good and reliable. They don't offer all the "perks", but someone answers the phone 24 hours a day and helps us. They regularly offer better fares on Celebrity cruises than Celebrity offers. And they have been helpful for price drops.

The trick is to find the right online agencies.
We’ve booked 47 cruises through online travel agencies with 0 problems. Have gotten every price reduction and every cabin change we’ve asked for. Got refundable obc on everyone of them of at least 10%. We’ve done enough cruises that we have no questions and all we need from them is to handle the paperwork. 

1 hour ago, Harrylinden said:

Are they good and reliable to book with? Never done it but seems like they have some good perks to get!  Just curious because I always go directly through the Cruise line to book!

There was a very recent thread on a very similar topic.  See here for more information.

I have used a specific online travel agency for multiple cruises in the past.  I always got a few extra bucks from them, usually in the form of OBC.  However, be aware that the past two years have changed landscape for them.  Read CURRENT reviews of any agency you are thinking about using.  Right now,  I am trying to cancel a cruise scheduled for late February (allowed under the cruise line's stated policy on their web site) and am having a very difficult time communicating with the agency.  Two other couples on the cruise cancelled thru their travel agency and got full future cruise credits immediately.  I'm still playing phone and email tag with my agency after 10 days.

There are some very good TAs.  As Said check out their ratings.  Definitely talk to the agent and make sure cancellation fees not charged.  Ask if they participate in MoveUp.  One TA based in a big box store doesn't.   Your YA should be able to expedite things and call back within a day.  They then handle your problems.

As said you can book with Celebrity and transfer to.a TA if done shortly after.

14 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I’ve had good luck with them, getting lots of OBC that you don’t have going through Celebrity.   I haven’t had it happen but watch out for cancellation fees.

Same here. Using an online travel agency based in Miami for the last 10 years. NO cancellation fees.

I have been using a large on line agency to book cruises since 2006.

I have always dealt with a specific agent and when they are promoted to management (has happened twice), I am passed to an agent that they feel is good.

My current agent has been my agent for ten years at this point.

He is responsive, knowledgeable, and as his agency does a volume business with the cruise lines, has had no problems getting any issues corrected.

An unexpected bonus was that I had travel insurance for a cruise booked in April 2021. The cruise was cancelled and he managed to roll the policy over to a new cruise I booked for July 2021.

That cruise was also cancelled by the cruise line and when the dust cleared with the FCC and refund request, he also contacted the insurance company and they agreed to refund the insurance money as the cruise line had cancelled the cruise.

I'm a planner type of person and almost always book our cruises with Celebrity, initially.    I do my research and often search using an airline site since Celebrity Search is so terrible.   After booking and getting all the Perks I can from Celebrity, I transfer to an online agency for additional perks. The agent then manages the reservation until sail date.    Currently you must transfer to an agent within 30 day.

I've mostly had very good experiences with Agents and the additional perks of a refundable 5-10% OBC is well worth the change. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

With all the agencies I have used the deposits and  payments are processed through Celebrity not the agency.  Something I feel is important.   Others may disagree.

Might need to clarify for some, Jim.  The way you stated that, it could be misinterpreted to mean that you deal directly with X for payment.  I understand what you mean by "processed through", but some may not.

Edited by canderson

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

BTW

With all the agencies I have used the deposits and  payments are processed through Celebrity not the agency.  Something I feel is important.   Others may disagree.

Agree and while on the phone with the agent.

Have used the same very large online outfit for 20+ years.  Do my own research and go through them for the percs.  One advantage they have over many locals is their 24/7 customer service line.  Had to contact them in the middle of the night a couple of times  with time sensitive issues and call desk was always able to help me out.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

BTW

Is there a special request we need to make with the TA to have payment processed through Celebrity rather than the agency?

I did not realize this was even an option.