So, You've Cruised Many Places in the World...Now What?

Lastdance

In no way am I advocating that you cannot cruise any longer, but what do you imagine, in terms of itinerary, to be your last and best cruise(s)?  The one that you want to remember for the rest of your life if indeed it is the last one.  Personally, I want it to be a recap of all the most memorable places that I have been and most likely the longest because I don't want it to end.  Honestly, life takes so many turns that lately I have been dwelling on my future venues that have not even been released, but vissions in my head have me hoping that the best is yet to come...any ideas?  

Edited by Lastdance
Changes

• Lastdance changed the title to So, You've Cruised Many Places in the World...Now What?

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Norway all the way up and down the coast.   Also, Alaska all the way up and down the coast.

Still want to get to New Zealand if they EVER open up.  Still hoping to get to Iceland next  year as well as Greece.

toodles.

Glad to hear you say that, Oceansaway, as we are booked for Norway in July.  I hope it sails.  One of our best cruises still is Honolulu to Auckland to Sydney.  Iceland was cancelled on us last year but we still hope to get there some day.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Norway all the way up and down the coast.   Also, Alaska all the way up and down the coast.

Still want to get to New Zealand if they EVER open up.  Still hoping to get to Iceland next  year as well as Greece.

toodles.

We're booked for New Zealand and a Transpacific next year. Fingers crossed. Greek Isles late summer this year. Again, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

For anyone who hasn't done New Zealand - you must go!  It was one of the prettiest places I had ever seen.  I don't have a bucket or wish list, I know that sounds odd.   I just want to keep traveling.  Some of my best cruises were ones we booked because we had time and there was an interesting cruise when we had the time to go.   

We had previously done one cruise a year, and then at least one land trip.    We are finally hoping to get back into that mode this year.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

In no way am I advocating that you cannot cruise any longer, but what do you imagine, in terms of itinerary, to be your last and best cruise(s)?  The one that you want to remember for the rest of your life if indeed it is the last one.  Personally, I want it to be a recap of all the most memorable places that I have been and most likely the longest because I don't want it to end.  Honestly, life takes so many turns that lately I have been dwelling on my future venues that have not even been released, but vissions in my head have me hoping that the best is yet to come...any ideas?  

Keep planning, mid-June - mid-July, one month in Italy

• Like 1

We have been to every continent and our bucket list is complete. Therefore, floating around the Med with favorite stops of Amalfi Coast in Italy and the S. of France would be just perfect. 

After cruising to Antarctica and the very rough seas we encountered, we realized that expedition cruising is not for us. My penguin fix was accomplished.

Mr. Blonde agrees wholeheartedly 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nordkapp and Lofoten Islands, Galapagos and Antarctica are on my wishlist, hopefully we’ll get there sometime in the next 5-8 years…

Always happy to return to the Greek isles, my dream destination, we’re hoping to do a land tour this May.

• Like 1

We really enjoyed Norway and Alaska.We definitely fell in love with Hawaï, Italy and Greece.

We are booked this summer on Silhouette, for the United Kingdom, Ireland and Iceland as well as on the Breakaway, from the Netherlands, stopping amongst others, in Germany, Russia, Sweden and Finland.

Keeping my fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Galapagos - check

Hawaii - check

Milford Sound and NZ - check

Norwegian fjords - check

Iceland - check

Antarctica -- deleted.... too cold for me.

Too cold for us too, until we listened to our friends raving about it, and watched them book a second trip.  Now Antarctica's back on the list..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We already had it, a 15 night Hawaii cruise on Disney. Left out of LA 5 sea days 4 stops in Hawaii, 4 or 5 sea days a stop in Mexico and back to LA. Was an amazing trip on a smaller ship and our inside room cost us just a bit over 4K for the two of us. Not sure we will ever have a cruise that tops that one. 

• Like 2

I’m personally not thinking about an itinerary that I haven’t done yet as if I have to have a ‘completed checklist’ prior to retiring to my front yard where I’ll spend the day yelling at teenagers to stay off my grass!

No, I’m not big on the bucket list approach. I’m not putting it down, just not into some list of ‘must do’s’.  Yes, there are places I want to see that are new, but I find that I enjoy more revisiting so many places I’ve enjoyed for relatively short trips. Did 4N’s in Dublin followed by 10N bus trip around a good deal of Ireland, but I have no problem and would Love to visit Dublin and Ireland again. I have a feeling I didn’t quite see nearly all the interesting places. Not just ‘seeing’ places, but experiencing what is ongoing such as special events and festivals. No, not going to the Blarney Castle and the such in Ireland, but seeing more of what I saw just a glimpse of, maybe a bit off the beaten path. 

Love Amsterdam. Spend 5N there prior to a Rhine cruise and intentionally doing the Celebrity Iceland cruise for one reason that its out of Amsterdam and will spend time there again. I don’t need to walk every street, but 4Ns was just a scratch of the surface. I mean one day wandering the Rijksmuseum sufficed? Nope. The ‘Bucket List’ approach seems to infer if I step into some city, or country or even a whole continent, I’ve ‘been there. I’ve experienced what it has’. And I realize many would agree who Do have Bucket Lists, but I think we get a bit too tied up in, ‘Got to go there because it’s there and I’ve haven’t’

Enough. I understand wanting to see new places, when I get to Iceland I want to walk the midAtlantic Rift, but I don’t really think checking that off is the point of traveling…..for me. 

Den

• Like 3

Here are our favorite cruises so far on each of the cruise lines we’ve sailed where we had an outstanding time with a ton of memories!!

HAL - 22 day “drive by” Antarctica cruise and 30 day Australia circumnavigation

Princess - 25 day Panama Canal and Easter Island cruise

Celebrity - 10 day Galapagos cruise and 16 day Apex Caribbean cruise

Oceania - 16 day B2B circumnavigating Cuba twice!

Crystal - 30 day SE Asia B2B with overnights in downtown Hong Kong and Shanghai

Disney - 7 day Alaska family cruise

Here are some we currently have booked which will hopefully provide many great memories as well.

Celebrity - 24 day B2B “drive by” Antarctica cruise and 10 day Galapagos cruise

NCL - 38 day Suez Canal and East/South Africa cruise

Princess - 28 day Hawaii and Tahiti cruise

Seabourn - 20 day Western Med and Africa cruise

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have done Transpacific 4 times  

Circumnavigated Australia  , Hong Kong to Southampton, Hong Kong to Cape Town

Beijing to Sydney  Panama canal LA to Miami x 2, Rome to Rio and Rio to Miami

Buenos Aries to Miami via Cape Horn on Infinity was excellent as we did the 3 day trip to Macchu Picchu

We now say the friends we travel with are as important as the destination

Edited by emmas gran
  • Like 2

From starting work and having a bit of disposable income we have always enjoyed travelling. We are so thrilled that we did so much when we were young as mobility issues developed as I hit retirement and there is no way I could physically do now what I did then!

Highlights of a lifetime of travel include…

Cruising down the Nile (before it got too busy).

Touring Greece in local buses with chickens and goats!

Mexico tour.

Far East tour.

China Tour.

TransPacific Cruise with stays in Hawaii and Australia.

Numerous land visits and cruises to the Mediterranean (Santorini and Malta favourite ports).

Several independent US tours visiting many national parks, wonderful cities and quaint towns…

Wonderful Caribbean cruises…

We have no intentions of stopping traveling or enjoying our travel but we do now pace ourselves more…

Intentions for the future…

To revisit some favourite ports but instead of rushing around to see the ‘highlights’ sit in a comfortable bar with a great view and savour the ambiance, sights, sounds and smells.

To try some European river cruises.

To enjoy some land stays in private villas (we have loved this in the Med and in Florida).

To enjoy meeting people.

To enjoy the travel itself, treating ourselves to the sweet suite life.

• Like 2

I come from a traveling family and have traveled all my life. Like some, I don't really have a 'bucket list' -- or if I did, it would be one where as soon as I tick something off, I add two more items, often based on discussions with other travelers.

I like to mix it up when it comes to how I travel -- not just cruises but also independent land travel and also guided trips (particularly for difficult destinations or places that are hard to arrange on one's own). Doing that helps keep things fresh. Also, I look for not just destinations but also for special experiences -- such as being able to visit an archaeological site that requires special permission or participating in a special local event (not one set up just for tourists).

I'm still working but hope to retire in the next few years. I can't imagine reaching a place where I would want to plan one final trip!  😱

Some places/experiences on my radar include Iceland and Greenland (this summer, fingers crossed), circumnavigating Japan during cherry blossom season (2023 hopefully), a Norwegian coastal cruise on one of the real coastal lines, and in-depth visits to India and China. I'm less into natural scenery than great civilizations and I alternate warm and cold re: Antarctica.  Once retired I hope to base myself in Italy for several months each year and experience living more like a local while also visiting some out of the way places.

If I could repeat one cruise, it would be the first one I took on the 350-passenger Voyages to Antiquity that visited Egypt, Syria (including Palmyra, now destroyed), Beirut and Cyprus.  

Now that I think about it, I guess you could say there IS one item truly on my bucket list -- in that I hope to get there before it die -- and that would be Libya, to visit the wonderful Roman sites there. It seems less and less likely though....

• Like 3