Decorating Doors - any specific rules?

BuckeyeMark

Not interested in debating it, just want to know if anyone has had an official with Princess say "you can't do that" or "that's okay but don't do ______."  I'm guessing nothing that leaves a sticky residue or intrudes into the hallway, obstructs the room steward etc.  We're talking a simple sign with magnets so I can find my door easily.  And ... anyone got door dimensions?  Thanks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Not interested in debating it, just want to know if anyone has had an official with Princess say "you can't do that" or "that's okay but don't do ______."  I'm guessing nothing that leaves a sticky residue or intrudes into the hallway, obstructs the room steward etc.  We're talking a simple sign with magnets so I can find my door easily.  And ... anyone got door dimensions?  Thanks.

I always decorate my door with no issues. I always take them down at the end of the cruise and never use anything that will damage or leave residue on the door.

Most folks don't understand why people do this but I think it's fun and always get positive comments from cabin neighbors.

ETA: Don't know door dimensions but they are narrow.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We're talking a simple sign with magnets so I can find my door easily.  And ... anyone got door dimensions?  Thanks.

This is it. Doors are 22 inches wide. Subtract a few inches on each side for clearance. Decoration maybe about 18 inches wide.

• Like 2

Be aware of the wind tunnel that MAY happen if you are on a balcony. If you have the balcony door open and then open the cabin door it will create a wind that can blow things off the door and other areas. Including the outside of the door.

• Like 3

We decorate our door.  Once on a halloween cruise, we decorated, and I pre-made a 'certificate' proclaiming our door had won "2nd Place" in the door decorating contest - looked really official - date of cruise, cabin # , and 'the captain's signature'.  We got a couple of comments that people didn't know about 'the contest' and wondered who had won first place ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 29

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

We decorate our door.  Once on a halloween cruise, we decorated, and I pre-made a 'certificate' proclaiming our door had won "2nd Place" in the door decorating contest - looked really official - date of cruise, cabin # , and 'the captain's signature'.  We got a couple of comments that people didn't know about 'the contest' and wondered who had won first place ...

Now that is just genius!  LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

Be prepared for decorations to disappear. We put up American flags on a Panama cruise 2 weeks after 9/11 and they were gone 4 days after sailing

You took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard?) I wouldn't put major effort or expense into a door decoration.  There are thieves who steal nice looking door decorations.  I don't know why but I hope they enjoy their stolen artworks.  Sometimes it's kids switching door decorations around to confuse people but most of the time when a door decoration is taken, that's the last time you'll see it.

On my last cruise (not Princess) I had ordered a poster made specifically for cruise cabin doors and hung that. And I included a command hook with a Dollar Tree bucket. I kept that bucket filled with individually wrapped candies, suckers, mints, etc for guests to take. I refilled as needed - it was fun!

This cruise we're celebrating a landmark birthday so I'm thinking of doing the same thing. On the other cruise line, they did specify that it had to be fire resistant materials. So that might be something to consider.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Chelly said:

No door decorations but....Once had a cabin with toilet that wouldn't flush.  Called housekeeping and front desk.   Half a day passed and toilet still wasn't repaired.  

I Put a large sign on hallway side of door "TOILET STILL DOES NOT FLUSH" in bold magic marker.  Left cabin, came back in 20 minutes.  Sign was gone and toilet was repaired.

Good sign, a message that was actually useful besides the typical ones I've seen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Really????? You chose this unrelated topic to bellyache about one of your apparently many complaints against Princess.

Not only was her post meant to be funny, how is it a complaint when she said it was fixed in 20 minutes? Sounds more like a compliment to me....

• Like 4

On 3/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, BuckeyeMark said:

Here’s what I put on my door & it’s magnetic.  I have 2 sizes one large & one small both the same sign. 

I’ve never seen any regulations for what’s on your door. 

I used the small sign with my Christmas decorations. The lights were on a timer & the Santa spoke when anyone passed by, turned off over night, but the stateroom people loved the Santa. 

I used large hooks to hang the lights & decorations on. 

Tom😀

image.jpeg

image.png

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 8