The Daily for Monday 04/18/2022

richwmn

Thank you to @grapau27 and @kazu for your kind words.   In a way, it doesn't matter what the blood tests showed at this point.  I still get my chance with the surgeon and I'm sure the endocrinologist wouldn't make the referral if he didn't think it was warranted.  So, I'll look at this as a step forward.

@StLouisCruisers I am so sorry to hear about Gracie's journey over the Rainbow Bridge.  Gracie is a perfect example of how big an impact you can have in a very short time.  May we all be as impactful as Gracie.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisersI am so very sorry to hear about Gracie.  it is always hard to lose a fur baby, but it is so difficult when it is unexpected at such a young age. 💔 

Your DD and family did the right thing and an act of love for precious Gracie as painful as it was to do.  I hope they and you can have some solace in their memories of her as time goes on.  It will take a lot of time - I know.

I’m so sorry for all of our loss 😢  

5AD9C91C-279A-4C33-9F07-BB1F872C15B6.thumb.jpeg.74eb482282b3e1cd8aacfe0acb8708d9.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

So sorry about Gracie.  A great loss for the family.  

The picture reminded me of our darling Bella.  She always thought when Pat carved something delicious that bits would suddenly appear on the floor - and they usually did.  But she would watch the floor, not the carver!

1261981930_Hummingbird001.thumb.jpg.fca267419b0087d5de663e42d4a5b435.jpg

1761740525_Hummingbird002.thumb.jpg.3d1afc9d87fcfa3d8cbcfe70bc61e736.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

A very, very late good afternoon after another busy day.  I tried reading the Daily off and on, but only made it to page two until I finally finished all the chores and preparations to leave Wednesday.  Besides laundry, we also checked the air pressure in the motorhome tires and continued putting stuff on the motorhome and in sheds for the summer.

The first thing this morning, I called the clinic about the missing prescription.  The receptionist confirmed that the nurse practioner did not send it in.  The bad news is that he will not be in until tomorrow, as the staff covers three rural clinics.  She assured me she would leave a note on his desk  where he would see it the first thing in the mooning.  She also assured me she would call as soon as he sent the prescription in.  I told her I was just about to say that I would check with her tomorrow.

I've been too busy to follow the Boston Marathon, but I hope all went well for @cunnorl's niece.  DH has a couple of shortwave radios, but never got his license.  He likes to listen to the news services from different countries.  We enjoying visiting monuments and sites on our travels.

Add me to the list that disagrees with the MM quote.  We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice but pricey.

We have not been to Amber Cove.  Thank you @summer slope, @rafinmd, Roy for the pictures of Puerto Plato.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I checked online to refresh my memory about Huatulco.  The pier may have been built in part by the cruise lines, but the entire Huatulco area was developed 39 years ago by the Tourism Trust Fund as a resort area.  The town we call Huatulco is the port for the area of nine bays.

@Crazy For Cats  That you for the video of the longest toot.  It was nice to see @sailingdutchy Tony and Martha.  

@sailingdutchy  💐 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARTHA! 🎂

@cat shepard  Thanks for the wonderful memes.

@kazu  Jacqui, thank you for sharing the pictures and wonderful memories of Jose, especially the picture with Marley.  I hope your meetings today went well and that you made it to see Jose.

@jayhawk66  A belated BON VOYAGE and have a great cruise.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, that is good news that your fever is down, but I also think another test would not hurt.  Sorry you had to miss the birthday dinner. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIM! 

@marshhawk  Your tour in Amber Cove sounds every interesting and moving.  I liked the pictures of the mountain lion/cougar.  My high school mascot was the cougar.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm sorry your test were not all that conclusive.  I hope the surgeon has the answers to take care of your pain and that you don't have to way too long for an appointment.

@superoma  Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.  Thanks for sharing the great picture of your DH and his sisters.  Hope your back feels better soon.

@grapau27  Graham and Pauline welcome home   Thanks for the video.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, dfish said:

Kind of a mixed bag here.   Blood tests were contradictory and so not able to make a diagnosis.  We'll rerun them in a year.  That is a long time to wait, in my opinion.  But, I can't order the tests.  

However, he is still referring me to a surgeon for a couple of reasons.  The mass has grown from 2.7 cm to 3cm by 4 cm since April.  The mass is not homogeneous.  The pain is increasing.   I also have gall stones, but they are asymptomatic.  So, we'll see what the surgeon says.

Actually, depending on what they are, you MIGHT be able to. There are several companies that allow that type of access. Including Quest Diagnostics through their Direct Services. You order what you want online and pay. Then go in and get the test done. I have been doing it for several years for certain things I monitor. ( There are 3 states I’m aware of that do not allow this.). Just a thought.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 14

Thank you all for your sympathy on the passing of Gracie this evening.  My DD says she feels broken and I can't blame her.  Thank you @ger_77, @smitty34877, @JazzyV, @Cruising-along, @dfish, @1ANGELCAT, @4966and556, @aliaschief, @kazu, @Vict0riann, @Quartzsite Cruiser, and @57redbird.  Your words mean a lot.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

News this afternoon wasn't good about Gracie.  It was either an inter cranial tumor or inflammatory disease.  Steroids and epilepsy drugs weren't going to cure her.  They said today she was blind.  What a decline since Friday.   Could only go out to go potty if they used a towel to lift her up because she couldn't stand up.  She wouldn't be able to be left at home unless in a pen so she wouldn't hurt herself.  So DD and DSIL went over to see her after work and she had to go over the Rainbow Bridge.  She's in heaven now.   I'm sitting here crying this afternoon.  We will all miss her terribly.  Way too young at 6 1/2.

Here she was watching DH fix the Thanksgiving turkey for us all at DD's house a few years ago. Waiting for that piece of stuffing to end up on the floor, bless her heart.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJGGW5Jl4TYUHhzKIpqsnU_Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1650319425

Sandi big hugs for all of you. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear your news. Sending hugs to you and Gracie’s family.

26 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

@StLouisCruisers just logged on after a busy day and read the sad news about Gracie. It is a difficult decision to make but it was the correct one for her and she is not in pain now.

25 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi big hugs for all of you. 

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@StLouisCruisersI am so sorry about Gracie.   I am sure everyone  in your family is devastated.   Thanks for sharing the darling picture of her. ❤️

light a candle pet.jpg

Thank you my friends. 😢

You're all the best!  XX   

• Like 15

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

News this afternoon wasn't good about Gracie.  It was either an inter cranial tumor or inflammatory disease.  Steroids and epilepsy drugs weren't going to cure her.  They said today she was blind.  What a decline since Friday.   Could only go out to go potty if they used a towel to lift her up because she couldn't stand up.  She wouldn't be able to be left at home unless in a pen so she wouldn't hurt herself.  So DD and DSIL went over to see her after work and she had to go over the Rainbow Bridge.  She's in heaven now.   I'm sitting here crying this afternoon.  We will all miss her terribly.  Way too young at 6 1/2.

Here she was watching DH fix the Thanksgiving turkey for us all at DD's house a few years ago. Waiting for that piece of stuffing to end up on the floor, bless her heart.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJGGW5Jl4TYUHhzKIpqsnU_Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1650319425

Oh Sandi, I am so sorry to hear this. Praying for comfort for you and all of Gracie's family. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruiserswhat heartbreaking news.  I am so sad to hear Gracie couldn't be well again.  My heart goes out to you and all her family; pets are so precious and leave the biggest holes when they're not there any longer.

So terribly sorry about Gracie. That always hurts so much and for a young dog it is also so unexpected. Her family loved her and they tried their best. In that way she was so lucky.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So I've asked the mods to close the pier runner thread.  I'm really disappointed in it actually, while most of the responses were civil, a few were borderline attacking, and my ignore list grew significantly.  But it seems like there are people on CC that go around looking for controversial discussions, as a good many of them I have yet to see in day to day HAL conversations.  Lesson learned.  

• Like 12

12 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Monday Dailyites!

Years ago, in another life when I lived in Boston, the Marathon was held on the 23rd of April.  That's my birthday (amazing how many April babies are Dailyites) ... my friends asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday, I said to them let me choose one thing, and if you have more time, you guys can choose the other...So we went to the matinee of Mahler's 2nd.  OMG!  That is such a beautiful piece of music, and then...they chose a baseball game at Fenway Park.  On the way to Fenway, the Boston Marathon was going by...All of this in one afternoon!  They took me back to my dorm after the game, and went on to do their own things, so my birthday night was pretty boring, but in all my years, that birthday was the most memorable. 

Thank you @richwmn for the port...I have actually been to.  Of course no pictures, but this port has been on our go to again list for a long time.  Early morning we were slowly cruising along a mountainous coast, green with jungle, sky clear and very blue, air cool.  We  got breakfast and finished up, just as we were docking,  ran down to our cabin and got our "bag" and headed off to our excursion.  NOT SO FAST!  Our excursion was to a girls orphanage, which had requested the need for art supplies and tooth brushes, and toothpaste, and deodorant, brushes, etc.  and when they checked our bag, they said we could not take these articles off the ship.  We explained our excursion to them, and they sent us up to the customer service desk, who said of course you can take that to them, that is part of the program, and down we headed to disembark, with a note in our hands, and again we were stopped, and again told that we could not take the items off the ship, and then we handed them our note, and they called the service desk, and then we were allowed off the ship.

The port where the ships dock is a Carnival made port.  Lots of little shops (worlds best coffee), there is a giant swimming pool there for ship guests, a water slide, and zip lining.  If you have no excursions, it is still a great little port to wander around or play in, but you are very far from town.

We boarded our bus, and we got a walking tour of the town center, visiting the church, the history of the town, the history of the country,  the problems they have sharing the island with Haiti,  we visited a few gift shops, and then headed to the orphanage,  were we got educated about the socialized system of the people.  These girls were not orphaned as in their parents had died, or left them, their parents were in jail for drug charges.  You do not want to be caught in this country with drugs!  So to take care of the children, they are placed in orphanages to get an education, and college in this country is free, as long as you graduated high school and hold a job.  Every one works.  

After our visit with the orphanage, we went into the mountains to visit a woman who makes cavva ? bread, and we all got free samples.  The mountains are beautiful, and DH and I spent our very brief time up there just (yup, taking pictures).  Dirt roads, and it was amazing how the bus driver got us up there, and turned around and drove us back down...to lunch, typical island fair, fruits, pasta, and chicken.  We did a brief drive by of the fort, and then headed back to the port.  We stopped for coffee.

The orphanage visits are no longer offered, I've seen the town, and I don't need to use the pool, DH and I want to go back up into the mountains, and that is what we will be doing in September.

I loved this country and it's people, but the people have got to learn to love their country.  Trash was every where, plastic, everywhere.  We were there in early May 2017, right before DH had his heart attack, going back, I'm hoping to see a bit of a clean up.

7b9ab9c3e1098f90fa309047637c8ffe.png

I'm glad you enjoyed Amber Cove!  The Carnival built port is the nicest I've been to and Puerto Plata offers historic sites along with a nice malecon. There is a nice smaller town to the right of Amber Cove with restaurants and bars and shops.  We also took the bus to Santiago over the mountains.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@StLouisCruisers  So very sorry to read that Gracie has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, very hard to loose such a beloved fur baby. Hugs to you all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1