The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 14th, 2022

richwmn

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

It's been a day of highs and lows.  

Just found out that our excellent PCC is leaving HAL 😞  He's been with them for decades and is the best we've ever had.  We're kind of in shock right now.  

The good news is that our skylight is being replaced today, for less than half the cost of the first estimate.  He couldn't tell either what happened, he said sometimes even larger birds will pick up and drop small rocks....

I just saw on FB that our PCC is leaving this week.  Jim replaced Diane who retired in April.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@bennybear Gore Tex  LL Bean jacket, new Columbia waterproof walking shoes and a Merino sweater coming out of safe storage. Two new travel pants, with convertible to shorts option purchased today.  With three weeks in Scotland,  prior to cruise I believe I will meet minimal dress standards on Dressy nights. Many of the quaint hotels we are staying at do not have elevators so not looking forward to daily bag drags.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Fingers are crossed on air flights. We bought the Apple trackers for each piece of luggage so at least we will know where they are located. Though I admit the Delta App does a pretty good job if the bags get swiped. With Apple trackers a quick check on your phone gives accurate location info.

The Daily exploded today with post and took me quite awhile to catch up.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy, my condolences on the passing of your family member. I believe you said she was 90, but I’m sure it was still a shock. Are you planning on attending the services?

I got word  from Nora's sister that she did not want any funeral or memorial service.  It will be  a small family burial.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

8 hours ago, ger_77 said:

It was too hot to enjoy the deck and yard yesterday afternoon so I tasked myself with making a couple of new cloth grocery bags.  I'm all about short cuts, so went to the dollar store and bought some heavy, lined table runners for the bag.  They didn't sell webbing that was needed for the handles, so I improvised and bought a ratchet tie-down thingy that I cut the hooks and ratchet off for DH to use in the garage and used the webbing from that.  I had to look up on Google how to make box corners, but managed to get them made and I'm quite proud of my final results.  The two bags should last a lot longer than the plastic ones from the grocery stores.

I admire your handiwork.  My county has outlined plastic bags.  Fortunately I have an ample supply of HAL tote bags.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@aliaschief, I hope you have a wonderful time in Scotland. I think I remember you talking about staying at Dornach Castle, I stayed there many years ago on a land tour , I remember it was quaint. I don’t know if you’re going to Orkney , if so I hope you have a chance to purchase some Sheila Fleet jewelry for Sue. She’s  an Orkney designer of great talent. Have a great time.

• Like 17

@HAL Sailer love the story of Doris,  so wonderful you were able to travel with your mom.  
@Seasick Sailor Happy birthday to your DH  Allen! 

@Quartzsite Cruiserappreciate your posts and hope you get to Meteora one day

@Sharon in AZI love tofu, especially in Japan, they serve it with a ginger sauce, Delicious.   
@kazu appreciate your ever helpfulness in teaching re posting photos, multiquotes and use of @ instead of multiple posts and not over sharing re toes 😉  it takes a little longer to post,  but IMO it helps with the flow 

hope you can get to Meteora again on a clear day.  
@smitty34877 you made me giggle!   Love beach photos 

@Horizon chaser 1957congratulations on your win! Score! 
@aliaschiefgood work on the clothes,  you will be all set! 

a second language is always a great idea, I met DH in French class!

7 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

That brings back memories, visiting Athens was the highlight of our Turkey, Greece and Greek Islands cruise back in 1999 as I was able to meet some of my Greek relatives who I never met before. 

How lovely!

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

I love tofu!  People just need to try it; it is a very healthy source of protein.  I am a pescatarian but my husband says it’s not a meal without meat so never fear, I will try to provide recipes to meet everyone’s taste in the next two weeks.  

Also, thanks to all who have provided words of encouragement while I fill in for Debbie.  I’m having a great time searching for recipes.

looks great! Thanks for stepping up! 

thanks to all who make this such a great place, and the effort spent on posting photos of the ports.   I don’t want to miss anyone, so will just say thanks to all. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We visited Canada’s highest paved mountain pass today,  still a little snow even though it was over 30 at home

3BEFCA9E-75CF-4960-989A-19A2CBF8A4F1.thumb.jpeg.10ab974877f90f885c2014b83bb46568.jpeg

6E2F51AC-7606-456C-AE07-3A1BB5C2AB20.jpeg

I drove around the forest service roads just east of Skykomish this morning. I was runing the air conditioner in the car while driving past multiple snow patches. Got out and walked a few miles to stretch my legs and enjoy the views. 

1326567077_Eastoftown1.jpg.c6cfb40b0e9e160b4155382057adb89c.jpg 

2088090158_eastoftown2.jpg.06d5f833c28845b7ad9ff17d3bdb71a8.jpg   

1422392205_eastoftown3.jpg.2482c96d0bf6a0e3b363cbd5f159c8fc.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I drove around the forest service roads just east of Skykomish this morning. I was runing the air conditioner in the car while driving past multiple snow patches. Got out and walked a few miles to stretch my legs and enjoy the views. 

1326567077_Eastoftown1.jpg.c6cfb40b0e9e160b4155382057adb89c.jpg 

2088090158_eastoftown2.jpg.06d5f833c28845b7ad9ff17d3bdb71a8.jpg   

1422392205_eastoftown3.jpg.2482c96d0bf6a0e3b363cbd5f159c8fc.jpg

Gorgeous!   Great minds….

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@aliaschief, I hope you have a wonderful time in Scotland. I think I remember you talking about staying at Dornach Castle, I stayed there many years ago on a land tour , I remember it was quaint. I don’t know if you’re going to Orkney , if so I hope you have a chance to purchase some Sheila Fleet jewelry for Sue. She’s  an Orkney designer of great talent. Have a great time.

@1ANGELCAT Yes we are going to Orkney as most of our two week private tour will be on the Outer Hebrides. Sue has no desire for anymore jewelry. The jewelry box is full with some very nice jewelry and usually only is worn on cruises. On our Florida life style not many occasions to get dressed up.

We are at a stage in our lives that we are trying to dispose of things. In all our cruises we have seldom bought anything to take home and we try very hard to avoid gift shops. Just not our thing but understand some have a passion for shopping. The cruise is the gift of memories to take home.

Bruce

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good day to our Daily-ites from Maui!

We have had much fun today. The ocean was so wonderful.  My sis and I are pooped out!!

Thank you for my sweet husband's birthday wishes. We are leaving soon for dinner.

Sorry I’m late to this, but Happy Birthday to your DH.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

That's the same Jim --- he will be missed by many. 😞 

Oh no! Say it ain't so!! Have you heard directly from him, by any chance?

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 7

i've been either in a dr's office, (all morning) or on the phones til 8:30 since I came home.  I will try to catch up tomorrow, but for now, I must sleep.

9e1e38d94f2cc873dff5ba94dc1e1ce4--good-night-my-friend-the-angel.jpg

thought the snow flakes will help you all feel a little cooler, good night angels!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks fpr the Daily reports, we have beeen to Athens, but not by ship. appreciating  all the photos of Athens and surrounding areas., brings back good memories.

Walked up to the Acropolis in my younger days,

Today  we have alternating rain and sunshine, temperature 7 C.

@Seasick Sailor a late Happy Birthday to your DH.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Congratulations on winning the shade tent.

@ger_77you are such a good sewer, the bag looks ready for lots of use.

@0106 thank you for filling in while Debbie @dfish is away.

@Heartgrove sorry that your DB is not so well.

@HAL Sailerthanks for sharing the good news that Curt is going home, with the appropriate support.

@kazu am concerned about your toe, has it not improved?. 

A big THANK YOU to @kazu, @StLouisCruisers and @Quartzsite Cruiser for multiquoting today, @bennybear thanks for your comment about multiquoting and using @ instead of multiple posts.

Best wishes to those on the Care List.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

To those asking about spacing between pictures, this is what I do on my phone and PC. I space to where I want the picture to be and add the file aka picture, then click insert and it shows up where the cursor was. I usually only do one picture at a time so I can space them out. After you insert the picture the cursor is now immediately after the picture and usually you can’t see it, but either way just hit the return key several times and then the cursor will be below the picture and you should be able to see it and add more spaces if you want.  Then I can add text to comment on the next picture. I hope this helps. 

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I have not gotten past the 1st page this morning. I'll catch up later. Hope everyone is doing well. Prayers for Buddy's entire family. Have an awesome time in Norway Debbie. 

Today is my sisters last day so we are getting a full day in. 

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

Peace, prayers and blessings 

Happiest of Birthdays to sweet Allen!

A973E682-634A-4AC0-8028-487A06639422.gif.a328b8a4a88414d9597b0b6869b7d02b.gif

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A few photos from our 3 day stay in the English Lake District last week.

IMG_20220706_115147.jpg

IMG_20220708_133822.jpg

IMG_20220708_130659.jpg

IMG_20220708_150418.jpg

IMG_20220709_130836.jpg

IMG_20220709_130508.jpg

IMG_20220708_130820.jpg

IMG_20220708_130721.jpg

IMG_20220708_115429.jpg

IMG_20220709_130713.jpg

I knew you were in the Lake District!  Lovely pictures Graham and Pauline. You are both looking so fit!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@1ANGELCAT Yes we are going to Orkney as most of our two week private tour will be on the Outer Hebrides. Sue has no desire for anymore jewelry. The jewelry box is full with some very nice jewelry and usually only is worn on cruises. On our Florida life style not many occasions to get dressed up.

We are at a stage in our lives that we are trying to dispose of things. In all our cruises we have seldom bought anything to take home and we try very hard to avoid gift shops. Just not our thing but understand some have a passion for shopping. The cruise is the gift of memories to take home.

Bruce

Bruce - I’m ‘only’ 57 and am already at that point in my life as I plan to retire at 60 🤞.  I’ve always been a everything has its place/organized person and if we haven’t used it in a year or two, it’s probably time for the donation pile (everything goes to local no kill pet shelter to sell).  I want to be ready for the downsize and purge in a few years and move on easily.  Unfortunately, DH’s mother is a ‘collector’/borderline hoarder and will not change.  Luckily the purchases have pretty much stopped, but the 3800 square foot house on 2 acres with multiple garages and sheds are packed to the gills.  She’s happy as can be with her ‘stuff’ and I’ve convinced DH it’s important to her for whatever reason so no point in trying to change that now.  Fortunately, a few good sized dumpsters and an estate sale should address the issue , but will take months to organize.  I don’t have kids, but can’t imagine leaving that burden to them.  Kudos to you for focusing on the trip, not the souvenirs!  Great plan! 

Edited by Kurtybee123
  • Like 14

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for your condolences.  I'm sure his loss will leave a huge hole in his family for years to come.

Jack, thank you for your sympathy.

Sandi - just catching up on this weeks posts.  Please know your entire family is in my thoughts and I’m thinking of you all.  So heartbreaking. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Right now, I'm doing a happy dance.  We have a line of thunderstorms coming through and they are dumping much needed rain. 🌧️🌩️  They are also bring 20 mph winds with strong gusts.  Everything in the port is pretty secure.   For the past hour or so the winds and front have dropped our temperature to 70F.  I'll enjoy that while it lasts.  In just the few minutes it's been raining, we've already gotten 1/10th of an inch, and the storms are to last until about 3:30 this afternoon.

@kazu Jacqui, thanks for sharing @luvteaching Karen's email.  I'm glad they are having a good cruise, but sorry about the azipod problems.  Hope the expert gets it fixed.

@HAL Sailer  I loved the story and picture of our DM at the Acropolis.  All I can say is I'm glad we did the climb when we were in our 50s, otherwise, I'd be resting on the way up too.

Lenda

Lenda - we got some wind, clouds and a little thunder in Plano, but no rain.  Looks like it all moved south quickly.  But what a difference the clouds and breeze made.  Only low 90s today without the searing sun beating down all day.  My evening walk was fantastic at 90 vs 103.  Pool was only 90 vs 93 yesterday (still borderline hot tub rather than pool - lol). Unfortunately, reality returns tomorrow.  It’s been brutal and it’s only mid-July!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Last post for today.  We visited Piraeus/Athens in May 2018 on Celebrity Reflection.  Many years ago, I acquired a small porcelain smoking baby in a voodoo shop in New Orleans - a few hurricanes may have been consumed prior to the purchase 🤣.  Here’s the ‘smoking baby’ enjoying a cold beer in Athens after a long day of touring the Acropolis, Pantheon, changing of the guard, and the newly renovated Acropolis museum.  This ‘baby’ has  had adventures across the globe - often on a BHB! 🤣 it’s creepy but has taken on a life of its own amongst my friends.  They only care about pics of the baby from here on out 🤣

A

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if it’s still Thursday where you are - it’s Friday here in Copenhagen.  I’ve just skimmed the Daily and thinking of you all.    We flew in safely yesterday, just a little under 2 hours late.  I think the rule is if it’s more than 2 they have to do reimbursements , so of course they didn’t bother to load all the luggage, in their hurry to get away.  My bag made it but Pat’s didn’t.  We’ll be heading out today to buy a few things.  Copenhagen has never worked for us - last time we were here, DD’s purse was stolen, passports, money, phone, cameras, credit cards, everything gone!  We spent the next day getting to embassies, getting police reports, etc., and setting her up to wait, alone, for a new passport.  She missed St. Petersburg, a regret for her.  Perhaps on a third try, we’ll have more luck.  It might be an interesting place to visit!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a beautiful place to visit!  No wonder you go there often.

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

To those asking about spacing between pictures, this is what I do on my phone and PC. I space to where I want the picture to be and add the file aka picture, then click insert and it shows up where the cursor was. I usually only do one picture at a time so I can space them out. After you insert the picture the cursor is now immediately after the picture and usually you can’t see it, but either way just hit the return key several times and then the cursor will be below the picture and you should be able to see it and add more spaces if you want.  Then I can add text to comment on the next picture. I hope this helps. 

Happiest of Birthdays to sweet Allen!

A973E682-634A-4AC0-8028-487A06639422.gif.a328b8a4a88414d9597b0b6869b7d02b.gif

I knew you were in the Lake District!  Lovely pictures Graham and Pauline. You are both looking so fit!

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Sharon @Sharon in AZ for your very nice compliments.

We love the English Lake District.

The hotel was on Lake Ullswater which is one of the prettiest spots in the lake District and only 95 miles from home.

We often go to the Lakes for a long day trip as well as staying over for 2-3 nights.

As a teenager I went camping in the Lake District and when I met Pauline we have been to and stayed in numerous hotel's together.

For a time in the 1980's when I sold records part of my area was the Lake District and I stayed in lots of different hotels in the area.

Graham.

• Like 10