Is it time for all cruise lines to have one ''cannot sail'' list.

dolittle

After this latest brawl on the Carnival Sunshine it is passed time to have a No Sail list for ALL lines. Thugs like this should have no where or no one who wants them on board any ship anywhere. They are giving Carnival (and all cruising) a bad name . I hope all of them are banned from cruising for ever.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, dolittle said:

After this latest brawl on the Carnival Sunshine it is passed time to have a No Sail list for ALL lines. Thugs like this should have no where or no one who wants them on board any ship anywhere. They are giving Carnival (and all cruising) a bad name . I hope all of them are banned from cruising for ever.

What happened on the Carnival Sunshine?

If you want to get others who sail on other cruise lines to be interested in what you are referring to, perhaps you could share...?

We certainly agree that those who get into "brawls" on ships (or most other places, but ships at sea have special concerns!) should have limitations on their ability to affect others.

GC

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

What happened on the Carnival Sunshine?

If you want to get others who sail on other cruise lines to be interested in what you are referring to, perhaps you could share...?

We certainly agree that those who get into "brawls" on ships (or most other places, but ships at sea have special concerns!) should have limitations on their ability to affect others.

GC

I googled it and apparently is was a territorial dispute over a barstool.  Or some such thing.  EM

• Haha 2

Avoiding Carnival is the best solution, apparently.  I just googled XXXXX Cruise line brawl, for Carnival, RCCL, NCL, MSC, Holland America.  One altercation came up for each of NCL, RCCL, and MSC.  None for Holland America or Celebrity.  But each Google search came up with several links to brawls on Carnival ships.  My favorite was a 60 person brawl on Carnival Magic last July apparently caused by a passenger 3-way followed by cheating complaints.  In all likelihood fueled by copious amounts of alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had read about the brawl over 4 or 5 decks last July on Magic, but (fortunately) missed this latest one.  I often wonder when when people are going to wake up to this simple fact:  if they're not punished, they'll do worse next time.  This holds true anywhere, any time.  But few want to see reality when it comes to bad public behaviour. 

6 hours ago, dolittle said:

In theory a No Sail list would be a great idea.  HOWEVER for it to work a lot of things would have to be looked at and changed across the board on all cruise lines.  All cruise lines would have to use the same operating system that they are all hooked to, they would have to keep up with each person on the list because of name changes, names being spelled wrong to get around the list, the fact that there is not just one person in the world with a name (I had 2 other girls in my high school with the same name as me), people move and can get around the list and such.  

Choice Hotels has a National DO NOT RENT LIST and people get around it all the time.  So even though a NO SAIL list sounds like a great idea it would not work out.

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Avoiding Carnival is the best solution, apparently.  I just googled XXXXX Cruise line brawl, for Carnival, RCCL, NCL, MSC, Holland America.  One altercation came up for each of NCL, RCCL, and MSC.  None for Holland America or Celebrity.  But each Google search came up with several links to brawls on Carnival ships.  My favorite was a 60 person brawl on Carnival Magic last July apparently caused by a passenger 3-way followed by cheating complaints.  In all likelihood fueled by copious amounts of alcohol.

And yet in a thread from a few weeks ago you'll find many insisting that one is just as likely to find passengers behaving badly on all cruise lines -- anyone thinking otherwise is a "snob"....

• Like 2

I don’t trust the lines to manage such a list. TSA had issues managing the list and that organization is dedicated to a single purpose of airline security. I am not sure they even maintain that list anymore?

Raise bar prices and eliminate packages and I bet much of this would end. 😉

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

While “known troublemakers” may be barred by a single entity, there are some anti-boycott laws which might need to be observed.  

Laws of what state?  Flag state?

3 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I would think that the Carnival corporation, which includes several cruise lines, would be able to have one. It would be a good start. IMO.

Maybe industry sharing would be in order for passenger safety purposes.

Airlines have lists like these.

I’m sure Carnival Corp. already does.  Royal Caribbean does also, as has been reported here in the past.  And pleased don’t ask for a link.  It’s been years.  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I would think that the Carnival corporation, which includes several cruise lines, would be able to have one. It would be a good start. IMO.

Maybe industry sharing would be in order for passenger safety purposes.

Airlines have lists like these.

Every parent cruise line has a do-not-sail list.  Typically, when you are banned from any particular line, you are also banned from all lines under the parent company's umbrella.  

• Thanks 1

Is this really such a common problem that it requires this type of solution?  I know things can happen of cruises, but it's just never been a problem for me.  I fear this cure may have unintended consequences.  For example.... say some drunk guy gropes your daughter and you slap his hand away - he responds by punching you and you are both wind up on the no-cruise list for fighting (cruise line bans everyone involved in fighting).  The "but he started it" defense didn't work well in grade school and it probably won't in this case either.  I'm just not sure it's such a wide-spread problem that a no-cruise list is called for. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Laws of what state?  Flag state?

The United States , New York, California  and a number of other jurisdictions have statutes barring "combinations in restraint of trade" and other bases limiting organizations combining to impose limitations on free access.  

Do your homework.

4 minutes ago, wcook said:

Unpopular Opinion: I’m not saying brawling is good, but in the grand scheme of poor cruise behavior, it’s not that big a deal. Chair hogs are worse. 

but no one is ever going to be banned from a cruise line for being a chair hog. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

Given that the problem primarily exists on one cruise line (see post 6), I don't see a screaming need for a no cruise list like the do not fly list in the US. Carnival can ban the offenders from all of the lines under their umbrella, which is the largest of all the cruise umbrellas. That, plus handing them over to the police to face charges, instead of just kicking them off the ship. Carnival has to know that they have a reputation problem. There are reasons why many cruisers rank Carnival far down on their list of lines they want to sail on, and bad behavior by passengers is one if those reasons.

• Like 2

There are behaviors other than fighting that get people banned from a cruise line.  There was a woman on Royal quite a few years ago who was always finding a reason to complain to Royal about her cruise experience and get compensation.  She bragged about it on CC and other places.  Royal caught on and banned her.  An elderly couple on Cunard a few years ago who got to acting too entitled, were abusive to crew and other guests.  They were put off the ship.  A woman traveling with her teen son and his longtime friend who turned out to have a behavioral/mental problem the pair were unaware of.  He made his way aft to a crew only area and was hanging off the stern threatening to jump.  The captain talked him back in, but they were put off.  The man on a HAL ship who made his way to a crew area aft and released a stern anchor.  I’m sure he was disinvited to cruise…. EM

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

There was a woman on Royal quite a few years ago who was always finding a reason to complain to Royal about her cruise experience and get compensation.  She bragged about it on CC and other places.  Royal caught on and banned her.  

Oh wow, I remember her.  Yeah, that was a long time ago.  

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The man on a HAL ship who made his way to a crew area aft and released a stern anchor.  I’m sure he was disinvited to cruise

I remember that incident.

5 hours ago, wcook said:

Unpopular Opinion: I’m not saying brawling is good, but in the grand scheme of poor cruise behavior, it’s not that big a deal. Chair hogs are worse. 

Correct:  your opinion is not popular with me.  

• Like 1