Question about DR menu and room service

kywildcatfanone

I feel kind of dumb not knowing this, but we are going on our first non Princess cruise next week with Celebrity just to try something different. I found out via threads on their board that you can order from the DR menu via room service and they will deliver to your room.  I had never thought of that, does Princess offer this?  We haven't been to a DR in years on Princess, but I would consider ordering from the DR menu for room service if it was available.

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

So not to just anyone.  Maybe that is why I haven't heard of it before, since we don't do suites.

Some have reported if you catch "the 'rona" and are confined to a quarantine cabin, that not only can you order off the mdr menu, but also the specialty restaurants at no charge!

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I feel kind of dumb not knowing this, but we are going on our first non Princess cruise next week with Celebrity just to try something different. I found out via threads on their board that you can order from the DR menu via room service and they will deliver to your room.  I had never thought of that, does Princess offer this?  We haven't been to a DR in years on Princess, but I would consider ordering from the DR menu for room service if it was available.

Keep in mind, Celebrity has room service delivery charges between 11pm and 6am, and many of the food items have a surcharge during any hours.  It's not 24/7 free/included like Princess.  We usually have a load of obc on Celebrity ans use it on some room service splurged..  breakfast has a wide selection,  again though many items have a surcharge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Keep in mind, Celebrity has room service delivery charges between 11pm and 6am, and many of the food items have a surcharge during any hours.  It's not 24/7 free/included like Princess.  

What a misconception it's free. It's been prepaid in your fare so it's included. Everything about a cruise is loaded into your fare after the bean counters decide the profit margin. 

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

What a misconception it's free. It's been prepaid in your fare so it's included. Everything about a cruise is loaded into your fare after the bean counters decide the profit margin. 

Perhaps you overlooked where she said free/included.  As opposed to extra charges for the RS items. It's a matter of context. Poe tay  toe, Poe tah toe.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Keep in mind, Celebrity has room service delivery charges between 11pm and 6am, and many of the food items have a surcharge during any hours.  It's not 24/7 free/included like Princess.  We usually have a load of obc on Celebrity ans use it on some room service splurged..  breakfast has a wide selection,  again though many items have a surcharge. 

Of course, what happens on Celebrity has no connection to what happens on Princess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Keep in mind, Celebrity has room service delivery charges between 11pm and 6am, and many of the food items have a surcharge during any hours.  It's not 24/7 free/included like Princess. 

Okay.  No one on the Celebrity forum has mentioned any upcharge for just having MDR food delivered other than if you should tip.  I was aware of the 11pm ending, which isn't an issue for me from a stand point of dinner, lol.

As far as it being 24/7 free with Princess, someone said that that is only true in suites.

8 hours ago, Kay S said:

Of course, what happens on Celebrity has no connection to what happens on Princess.

What happens on Celebrity has no connection to what happens on Celebrity 🙂  We find them consistently inconsistent.  Princess is also inconsistent among ships and even among decks and bars....eg. laundry soap on the Sky a few weeks ago was $1.25 on one deck and $1.50 on another....and wine pours were almost laughably inconsistent.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

If you are in a full suite then yes you can order from the full DR menus. The meal arrives all courses at once, not served. Other cabin categories do not have this service. Those can order some items from the Ocean Now app for delivery to the cabin or any other location on the ship. Cabins (full suites excluded) do not have proper tables for dining. Check out your cabin once on board.  

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

As far as it being 24/7 free with Princess, someone said that that is only true in suites.

There's a small charge for pizza ($3 ?). There are some items on the app that have a charge. Overall, there is no charge for most room service food 24/7. As has been pointed out...suites can order from MDR menus at no charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There's a small charge for pizza ($3 ?). There are some items on the app that have a charge. Overall, there is no charge for most room service food 24/7. As has been pointed out...suites can order from MDR menus at no charge.

The pizza does have a $3 charge but it is enough for 2 or 3 people and it is so good!  I order it with a couple salads and it can be ordered throughout the ship.  Plan on anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to get your order as it is made when you order it.  
The complimentary room service menu is actually quite good and greatly expanded since the restart.  Breakfast item choices are slim, though.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

In that case, just do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner if it is available!!!  Increase in food and service at just a few bucks more.

Good idea.  I have a bunch of OBC to use up, to that would be a good way to do it.  I have never done the Balcony dinner or breakfast.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:12 PM, voljeep said:

Some have reported if you catch "the 'rona" and are confined to a quarantine cabin, that not only can you order off the mdr menu, but also the specialty restaurants at no charge!

Yes, I can attest to this.  Although we were able to stay in our same room (rather than being moved to the isolation deck) through our isolation, we were able to order anything from the MDR, specialty restaurants, drinks, etc.  Nothing was off limits.  Now, the food was not as good as it would have been if we were served at a table in one of the specialty restaurants.  Room service is just not the same.  It has its place.

Edited by Coffeeluvr05
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kay S said:

Good idea.  I have a bunch of OBC to use up, to that would be a good way to do it.  I have never done the Balcony dinner or breakfast.

We did the breakfast once and once was enough. No choices about what they bring and a lot of the food was stuff we don't eat. Luckily, there was so much we didn't go hungry, but there was a lot of wasted food.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 4:31 AM, ghstudio said:

.eg. laundry soap on the Sky a few weeks ago was $1.25 on one deck and $1.50 on another

This "discrepancy" reflected the higher cost of transportation to the higher deck.  $0.25 to transport a 2 ounce box of laundry soap an extra deck or two seems very reasonable.

Next, the bean counters are going to start charging higher room service delivery fees if you are on a higher deck!!

• Haha 2