The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 24th, 2022

rafinmd

Never, ever, did I think I would be saying this....but truly looking forward to the major rain storm coming our way in a few hours....it will melt the ice and freezing rain we've had since Thursday...and just in time for Christmas....!!

It's been nip and tuck....but our family will finally be together tonight for Christmas Eve....1st time since 2019....🥰

Hope everyone is staying safe.....and will have a wonderful Merry Christmas....!!!

Merry Christmas.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good cold and sunny morning. It’s currently warmer in Juneau and Anchorage than it’s here.

I have to venture out later for some last minute shopping. It seems strange not to be setting up church this evening 💔, but we did go to Lititz last Sunday evening for their service. 
Merry Christmas to all and hopefully Santa is delivering cruises to all of you.

Birthday wishes to Sarah and blessings to all.🎂❤️🙏

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

A Merry Christmas Eve  to all! We survived the storm and retained power .We are grateful indeed. It is a balmy 8 degrees now.

@grapau27,  Graham, a very Happy Birthday to Sarah

@dfish,Debbie, Enjoy your first Christmas in your new home.It sounds as if things are off to a good start.

@ottahand7, I am so glad DB is home.Bon Voyage to you and DF

I got a surprise  package of Swedish Christmas  cookies from my Massachusetts family .It was so thoughtful of them.DD and DSIL also surprised me with Vasterbotten cheddar and two types of herring for Swedish Christmas Eve.They are busy with prep for the rest of the meal and the smells are divine.

Tana and I were up together in the middle of the night and started talking about some of the smorgasbords my MorMor(grandmother) made.I was touched that she remembered everything  so fondly.I am very sentimental  today sorry.

Please be careful out there everyone. My best to you all

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. Happy Christmas Eve from Rotterdam!

We are sailing to San Juan, expecting a 1 pm disembark. I can hardly believe it's day 14 for us! 

Last night's dinner was a tad disappointing in MDR. The onion soup was very salty, my pork chop was tough, I had just a few bites.. and Allen's Jambalaya had way too much garlic. I'm normally not a complainer and feel bad about saying it as we're so blessed to be on this cruise, but needed to be honest.

Tonight we are eating in Rudi's, most always a hit. 😉

Thank you Roy for adding me to the care list. I have a feeling I'm going to lose my thumb nail darn it. 😥

Lifting prayers to our Daily family for health, safe travels and blessings for a lovely Christmas.

I feel your pain.  I did the same to my pointer finger on a cruise.  Lost the nail about three weeks later.  The good news is that it does grow back.

• Like 17

Merry and Joyous Christmas Eve (Saturday) Dailyites.  Years ago on a Christmas Eve, I was coming home from a midnight service.  It was one of those days that I had developed one of those migraines from Hades, but I was in the choir, and had to be there.  My parents had left the church and gone home after the service,  and I left a little later.  But I arrived home 2 hours later.  The migraine had become too much for me,  and I blacked out while driving.    I actually had stopped in the middle of the road, by the woods near the old Exxon offices.   And when I came to, this is what I saw in front of the car.  (Of course this is not the actual thing, but as close as I can find)

111320deerjpg-c2ee4be1a6b9e16e.jpg

It was my own little live Christmas card.  I was so lucky that no one ran into me, or that I didn't drive off the road and crash.  It was my own little Christmas miracle, and I am grateful every day for that one Christmas Eve.

The computer says 18, the weather man says 9.  Either way for Georgia it is cold!  Feral Fawn escaped off the porch yesterday, and went to the water garden to drink some "flavored" water.  She was so upset that she was walking on her pond!  She did not last long outside, when I went out and sat on the porch, she came back.  This morning I pointed out to her, that the water bowl on the porch had water in it, not ice, and she can stay on the porch. 

7072bce8300b594d58561de3b6517baf--kliban-cat-christmas-cats.jpg

This morning I am making Christmas French toast with Panettone bread  with sage sausage .  DH is wanting to have dinner at Waffle House, so we can play the juke box and hear Grandma got run over by a reindeer.  We miss those classics....

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 27
  • Haha 1

Merry Christmas Eve to all (and Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating too!)

We have a quiet Christmas this year - just DH and both DSs, no extended family.  Younger DS has to work today (retail never takes a break!), but will be home for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of filet mignons from the grill.  I'll be putting together our Christmas dinner today (lasagna), and will probably have to make one more shopping run before that.  It's currently 10F here in NY, going up to a high of 17!! 

Hoping everyone has a safe and wonderful time. Praying for all on the Care list, that they may be well and move to the Celebration list.  Special birthday wishes to @grapau27's niece Sarah!

Love to you all...

Laura

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from a cold (10F) and sunny Boston, brrr!  I love Christmas Eve, everything seems magical. I’ll enjoy a glass of eggnog later.  I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but we will be having our traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner this evening, homemade Borscht, shrimp cocktail, salmon scones, pierogis with cookies for dessert, there’s an empty setting for anyone without a place to go!  Today’s port is on my bucket list.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Blessings on all of our Daily family. 🎄☃️

Please share the recipe for salmon scones.  Sounds interesting.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for setting up today's report.  I hope Libya treats independence wisely.  I'll pass on the Eggnog but wish all who celebrate it a great Christmas/Eve or a wonderful last days of Hannukah.  I like the Richards quote.  I've been to Singapore several ways, as a port call on Queen Victoria in 2010, was there in 2014 but did nothing more than walk across the pier from Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity, and it was my Zaandam embarkation port in 2012.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Beef Stroganoff and Cherry Crisp which would have been my dinner choices on MS Prinsendam December 6, 2013 in I had not dined that night in Canaletto. 

Today’s care list:

ger_77 DH Dental emergency but kudos to the Doctor
Amera (I think Sharon’s almost niece) under the weather for Christmas
Safe travels for StLouisCruisers
Tana’s Aide
pauline’s friend losing daughter
Seasick Sailor’s hand
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome catmando
Hannukah day 6
Christmas Eve
luvteaching DH sprung for Christmas at home
Happy Birthday Sarah
3 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Happy Birthday to Sarah! 🎂

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Happy Birthday Sarah!!

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@grapau27

Graham, please wish Sarah a happy “new year” for me. May it be filled with love, laughter & great health!

150E86A8-771A-487B-A63D-9EC19073BA3E.jpeg.80709dfb3096cce848e68a583a305e5f.jpeg

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

@grapau27 Happy Birthday to your Sarah!

1403421175_HappyBirthday2.jpg.3a64b0921ee64410bf114217b01a2a2e.jpg

The wind howled all day yesterday, but really not a lot more snow.  It is still cold here this morning, but I think we are coming out of it.  Midland sort of exists in a bubble where the storms split and go north and south and then reunite.  That has happened with this one.  North of here is still getting pummeled with snow and has blizzard conditions for most of today.

Last night brother Bill, his wife Lauren, daughter Liz, and her husband Joe braved the weather and came over for Farkle.  Joe and Liz are in town for the holidays from Florida.  I hadn't seen them since my dad's funeral in 2019.  Baby Oliver was with them and he is truly a Jolly Ollie.  

Today's meal is perfect for today.  I'll pass on it due to the starchy carbs, but if you can indulge, more power to you!   This first one comes from Good Housekeeping, but that is a pay site.  I got the picture from Pinterest and the ingredients and directions from BigOven.   https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/triple-cheese-skillet-shells/2148459

467372906_triplecheeseskilletshells1.thumb.jpg.8cfa60f42a748829f2ad1d405fbb5b62.jpg

There are many recipes for triple cheese shells, but not many for the skillet version with the little shells.  So, we can have big shells.   Three cheese stuffed shells with spinach are the perfect freezer meal. Gooey cheese, plenty of garlic and the best pasta sauce come together into a perfect weeknight dinner solution.  Make ahead and freeze for when you need it quick!  https://feastandfarm.com/three-cheese-stuffed-shells-with-spinach/

1091245353_triplecheeseskilletshells2.thumb.jpg.79668fce8f3ea3f44a16e09b83e785a5.jpg

This one leaves out the spinach.  https://therecipecritic.com/three-cheese-stuffed-shells/

1090421441_triplecheeseskilletshells3.thumb.jpg.55ff0b6bcfe44380550c88bfed23eb72.jpg

This one adds some ground beef into it.  You can leave it out, substitute Italian sausage, or whatever strikes  your fancy!  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/three-cheese-jumbo-shells/

194267093_triplecheeseskilletshells4.jpg.bbc3312662f37f52acb55233de804124.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!  Please, no accidents, falls, or sudden illnesses!   Please stay warm and safe from the storm.

41 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and sunny morning. It’s currently warmer in Juneau and Anchorage than it’s here.

I have to venture out later for some last minute shopping. It seems strange not to be setting up church this evening 💔, but we did go to Lititz last Sunday evening for their service. 
Merry Christmas to all and hopefully Santa is delivering cruises to all of you.

Birthday wishes to Sarah and blessings to all.🎂❤️🙏

29 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

A Merry Christmas Eve  to all! We survived the storm and retained power .We are grateful indeed. It is a balmy 8 degrees now.

@grapau27,  Graham, a very Happy Birthday to Sarah

@dfish,Debbie, Enjoy your first Christmas in your new home.It sounds as if things are off to a good start.

@ottahand7, I am so glad DB is home.Bon Voyage to you and DF

I got a surprise  package of Swedish Christmas  cookies from my Massachusetts family .It was so thoughtful of them.DD and DSIL also surprised me with Vasterbotten cheddar and two types of herring for Swedish Christmas Eve.They are busy with prep for the rest of the meal and the smells are divine.

Tana and I were up together in the middle of the night and started talking about some of the smorgasbords my MorMor(grandmother) made.I was touched that she remembered everything  so fondly.I am very sentimental  today sorry.

Please be careful out there everyone. My best to you all

24 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Merry Christmas Eve!  And Happy Holidays to all!

Happy birthday Sarah!

Our heat came on last night, so it is cold here too (but nothing like up north).

Best wishes to all!  I need to do some food shopping and baking.

18 minutes ago, kplady said:

Merry Christmas Eve to all (and Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating too!)

We have a quiet Christmas this year - just DH and both DSs, no extended family.  Younger DS has to work today (retail never takes a break!), but will be home for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of filet mignons from the grill.  I'll be putting together our Christmas dinner today (lasagna), and will probably have to make one more shopping run before that.  It's currently 10F here in NY, going up to a high of 17!! 

Hoping everyone has a safe and wonderful time. Praying for all on the Care list, that they may be well and move to the Celebration list.  Special birthday wishes to @grapau27's niece Sarah!

Love to you all...

Laura

Sarah said Thank You for all your lovely birthday wishes.

Graham.

IMG-20171221-WA0003.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Merry Christmas Eve to all who celebrate; it’s a special time of the year for so many.  

I’m sure there will be eggnog at some point in the day, I do enjoy a Malbec, and we would love to return to Singapore for an extended visit.

All is quiet right now, with the whole house sleeping in.  I think of it as the calm before the storm, because once the boys are up, it is a never ending surge of energy and excitement.  As I look out into the dark, it even looks warmer; the temp is -13C right now, with an expected high of +1C.  I feel for all of you who are dealing with the barrage of storms on both sides of the country.  My heart goes out to my Daily friends who aren’t able to have family with them this year.  Maybe video calls will help ease the disappointment.

I like todays menu suggestion, but we’ve planned on doing a ham for Christmas Eve this year.  Ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies and a salad will be what the fam will be enjoying around the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for safety for those in the paths of the storms, woo hoo for all the celebrations!  Stay well, be safe.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

We are now into day three of bad weather with today's blizzard more intense. Yesterday, we could see from our third floor windows across the river to the large Methodist church but not see as far as our usual West Grand Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan view. This morning, at times, even the church is obliterated by blowing snow.

The street snowplows and 'bobcat' sidewalk plows woke me at 2am. That's part of the joy of city living and, as much as I hate being awakened, I do love watching their synchronized dance of snow removal. Today, I was shocked at how much snow they were plowing -- easily over a foot. We haven't been outside and from the third floor we have no depth perception. 

We are hoping things improve so we can make our already postponed trip to DH's son tomorrow and then on to his sister's (DSIL) Monday. The presents are wrapped, the pulled pork prepared, the luggage is packed, the SUV's gas tank is full -- now we just need the weather to cooperate with our drive.

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, and with whomever -- my DH and I wish you a wonderful holiday filled with joy and fun and peace,

-Melisa 

Yesterday morning:

IMG_20221223_133017488_HDR.thumb.jpg.1039d7d98f9829d90438f6a8e100569c.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd.

Happy Christmas Eve! Lots to do to get ready for tomorrow. I had eggnog last night. Libya independence is a good thing. I like the quote. The meal looks good, although carby. I like the drink and wine. I also like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to Singapore. 

Brrr. On awakening, it was -2F with a wind chill of -23F! The wind is still howling. I had the faucet in the kitchen dripping overnight, as it's on an outside wall, and left the cabinet door under the sink open. Luckily my power has stayed on! There's a football game at 6 here tonight; I can't imagine being outdoors for that! The celebration of the Immaculate Reception was moved from the outdoor site yesterday to indoors. Sadly, many churches have cancelled their Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services. I've got some meal prep today and one dessert to bake. BFF will come over tonight and stay a few days. 

@luvteaching Wonderful that you were able to arrange for DH to come home for the day on Christmas!

@Sharon in AZ Sorry to hear that illness is interrupting your Christmas Eve plans. 

@bennybear Sorry to hear your family also has illness at the holidays. 

@grapau27 Happy Birthday to Sarah!

@ottahand7 Good to hear DB is home. Have a great cruise!

@smitty34877 Sentimental is a good thing!

@HAL Sailer I hope the weather cooperates so you are able to make your trip tomorrow.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all. Wind has died down, still cold but not currently snowing.  

I am looking for some cc help this morning. I usually only read a couple of threads, the daily, kazu, now rich and scrapnana which is finished now. However, with the world cruise coming up, I will probably add several more to the list, potentially 10 based on the list from the inside cabin. I sign up for the blog emails (like writer on deck and rafinmd) when possible but is there a place here on cc where I can track the threads by themselves, sort of like putting them in a folder so I don’t have to search the Hal pages?  I always shut off the cc notifications because i don't want to sort thru all those emails. But if that is the best way I will turn them on. Thanks for any info

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!

Good morning from a still cold, 26F, but sunny and not as windy central Texas.  I've been busy cleaning the house this morning and forgot I told Sandi, @StLouisCruisers I would check for a link to the port of the day early.  I have checked and could not find that Singapore had been the port of the day before.  

We have been to Singapore twice.  The first time was in 2000 on P&O Oriana world cruise.  The second was in 2002 on Volendam on the 64 day APEC  cruise.  These are DH's pictures from 2000 and my pictures from 2002. 

In 2000, we arrived about noon after sailing through the large container port.  I think at that time, it was the largest one in the world.

P3050476.thumb.JPG.e2c8304ad69397ef659c2c4083b8e1b5.JPG

We took a taxi into town, and did a short tour of places the driver thought interesting.  Then we rode their monorail around the island to get a look at the areas away from downtown.

P3060483.thumb.JPG.72c6e34cfa8337d925f34032258c606e.JPG

P3060484.thumb.JPG.c8aaaa29ea7e6d33b42075f9b2c4202e.JPG

P3060493.thumb.JPG.9d485bd601bcceb5fbba3719a142d5a5.JPG

We walked down a pedestrian shopping street.

P3060495.thumb.JPG.ca18a622131b06e1fd0f77ce9a14858b.JPG

Our next stop was Raffles, but we did not go to the Long Bar.  We did have supper n the patio.

P3060496.thumb.JPG.7b8283bae747c7009e9970f07ab2e5d6.JPG

P3060497.thumb.JPG.be7610a3b809903ba3973020c81c8008.JPG

P3060501.thumb.JPG.1226db7c05846181d8d794c55b1f48a8.JPG

From Raffles we walked down the the waterfront and took a boat to see more of the sights.  Singapore at night from the boat ride.

P3060502.thumb.JPG.fbb37e3376622449dd842b264e6f5724.JPG

In 2002, there was a performance by some costumed dancers.  These two posed for us as got off the ship.

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.384c675943e23023f6805589d1e2fd19.JPG

We took the shuttle into town and walked around.  This time we did make it to the Long Bar.

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.4e8f5732f6f29af28db7a7a17f133ec0.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.efa9fe9afebf23da5383ab390cca77a2.JPG

IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.2876b5a8487320475024464dd5765b50.JPG

I'll come back and read the Fleet/Daily when I finish cleaning the house.

Lenda

P3060482.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

We’re planning a quiet Christmas Eve here, will attend one of the services and have steaks planned for dinner tonight. I had planned to try making some traditional Polish paper decorations but just never started. It was part of my plan to learn about the culture(s), having recently discovered I’m half Polish. (Mom hid that fact, and after she passed, Dad spilled the beans. I’ve traced the family back to the town they were from, and got copies of immigration papers for a few. A great uncle came over on the Volendam.😁) A big thank you to @Mr. Boston for sharing your traditional menu. I was wondering about that, and was disappointed when the local ethnic store had nothing posted for Christmas.

Thank you all who are stepping in for @richwmn, and to Rich for putting the Daily together.

Happy Hanukah and a Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 24

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Definitely a much colder day today, at least the sun is shining.  Today we are making the turkey I got from work and then will have it tomorrow with different sides.  Wishing everyone safe travels and a wonderful day today.

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!  I am very grateful for many things!  

Our first granddaughter becomes a teen today, hard to believe,  she shares DH’s grandmother’s name and was born on my grandmothers birthday.  

@smitty34877 a great day to be sentimental IMO

@grapau27 happy birthday to your Sarah

sending you wishes for a Merry Christmas 

E0B271C6-C49B-4B74-AF6C-1E77AC55CE31.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all and Merry Christmas Eve!

It's raining pretty hard here now (Sue @Rowsby) headed your way!  And our snow is melting away.  Perfect timing because up to now the Seattle area has been iced over and driving has been treacherous.  Now Christmas plans can go forward because we're back to our usual wet weather.

We'll be having our DS's homemade Alton Brown Eggnog tomorrow.  We had a taste of it after Thanksgiving and it's delicious.  The meal looks yummy, but since we had pasta already this week and I need to limit carbs, will pass on the meal.  Also will pass on the red wine, but the drink looks good. Have never been to Singapore.

Today will be another day of baking (lemon meringue pie) and roasting that turkey,  DH and I always have Christmas Eve alone, and get some kind of take-out for dinner.  I think we've decided on some from our local Chinese restaurant that has never disappointed.  Tomorrow will be a full day -- brunch and gift exchange at DS and DDIL's new house, then the afternoon and dinner at DD's house.  So thankful the driving conditions will be good unlike yesterday.

Prayers for all who are sick, and/or have had to cancel Christmas plans because of sickness or weather.  When Florida is cold you know it's strange weather! My relatives in Savannah are scrambling, not knowing what to do.  Of course it will be back up to the 60's and 70's in a few days, so they won't have to deal with this very long, unlike other parts of the country.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

This is the time of year to cherish our friends and family.  I hope you have a moment to rest, to reflect, and an opportunity to dream of what can come from the year ahead.    
All the best- Tina
E12298DC-52A5-4224-88B5-1A0AA0D8E863.jpeg.a48b437c50f42d78ace403e2d89949ad.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from sunny and chilly, but not too cold, Durango. It was 16F when dogs and I walked this morning. And it felt positively balmy since there was no wind. All the family that was headed to my sister's made it in ahead of the bad weather and hopefully the two local family members will get there today. They plan to stay over tonight since that includes the youngest member, age 7.  Martha is going to have a very full house with some of them bringing their own air mattresses. Glad I went in October when we could have a more quiet and meaningful visit.

Spotted Mama dog has gone to a foster maternity home as we do not like pups to be born in the shelter. We now await word of the blessed event. She is a wonderfully sweet dog, although a bit large,  and I know she and puppies will find good homes. In the office maternity pool I picked a date of Dec. 30 for puppy births, and I am guessing 7 puppies. Now we wait and see. The staff has promised a prize to the lotto winner.... I just hope it is not a puppy.

Off to sort and make the pies and bread for tomorrow. Our current count is 9, but there are a couple that are problematical. Next week should be very quiet. The only real thing on my schedule is getting my hair cut. And it is supposed to stay in the 40's until the weekend.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

Happy Christmas Eve! The wind has gotten a bit better since yesterday -- just gusts now instead of the unrelenting blow! Almost all of my outside Christmas decorations , plus one shutter, blew down yesterday. I was going to put them all back up today, but think I'll wait another day. Not anxious to work outside in 10 degrees, so I salute the power company workers that worked all day and into the night to bring back electricity to our area. We were lucky -- only out for about 4 hours. Good excuse to go out somewhere warm for lunch!

Our church has five Christmas Eve services today -- 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8 pm, and 10pm. Our choir sings in all but the 6pm, which is a contemporary service - that's our dinner time.  I'm skipping the 2pm service so I can stay awake for the 10pm one -- that's my favorite one. It's quieter, includes communion, & is the most meaningful one to me. I'll go home afterwards, settle down with some "seasonally adjusted" eggnog, and remember past Christmases with family members that have passed on. Then up early tomorrow morning to head to the mountains & celebrate with the rest of the family. Good times!

Happy Holidays!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 23