The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 28th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says it's 69 and sunny.  It is.  The weather man has been trying to frighten us with impending doom and gloom for the end of the week.  They rate the weather between 0 and 11, and Friday is supposed to be a 4.  Originally this channel (11) put the numbers out based on the average history for that day, but they changed it, and use the numbers to show a great or bad day.  So we have lots of 11's when it is way too hot for this time of year, but they are nice days.

@superoma  

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

To @Safety Squirrel, @cruising Katie and @Petunia1950-

how-to-welcome-your-kitten.jpg

@smitty34877 The view from Tana's window this morning looks lovely.  The Atlanta area in the past, gets it's winter in March.  We are all waiting...for our winter next month.

Our neighbors who went home to Vietnam at the end of December, and said they would be back in February are still not back.  The house if you remember has been broken into, and DH put a lock on that door that was crow barred open.  I had been moving the furniture on the front porch, there was a metal chicken on the steps, and now that has been stolen.  Our storage room off the carport had been opened yesterday, while we were home working.  I told DH that when we are home, we really need to just keep the doors locked. 

@dfishYou had me at sausage,  and cheese..

In my need to watch some form of racing, I have found the Winter games of Ski Cross on Peacock. This will have to do until F1 starts this weekend.   Well, off to fix something to eat, and go and pay some bills.  

I did pay off the transatlantic cruise in October Rome to Tampa, and I now have two excursions paid for the Greek Island cruise- in Turkey we are doing the Ephesus, St John's and Virgin Mary excursion, and in Naples we are doing Pompeii -on our own.  In Sicily we are doing a cooking class, I just haven't booked that one yet.

Have a great day everyone, stay safe!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, superoma said:

Quick post- if we were in Florida we would be having dinner at the Columbia restaurant, either in Tampa, the original one or at sand key in Clearwater. It was our favourite restaurant and we have had our anniversary dinner there for many years, last in feb 2020. Tonight I will make a leg  of lamb roast, gravy, German dumplings, parsnips and carrots and a green salad to celebrate 53 years. Our friends who are usually in Clearwater with us will join us at our table and they are bringing dessert. Have a great day everyone. I just can’t stay away from this thread!

5DC22614-8064-4501-967E-6BABAC9F9C8E.jpeg

Happy Anniversary.

Screenshot_20221224_131411.jpg

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

No problem sleeping here. Just woke up and enjoying my first cup of coffee and reading the Daily. Watching weather report last night and we had around 16 days in February that had record high temperatures. Maybe another one today as we are already at seventy degrees Fahrenheit.

At some point I need to take some time out from  my tremendously busy schedule to get a haircut. If I could just wean myself off from perusing Cruise Critic I could possibly find some time.

Tomorrow is my annual optometry appointment and I have no clue why I scheduled it on what will be my birthday? We have two large Maine lobsters ordered which will be my celebration dinner. I do think tomorrow’s optometry appointment will show it’s time for cataracts to be removed. 
Thanks for all the reports and post. Have a great day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.25dda4bef157d17e6ef707d65325be12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c23cf1de3abc4d399a21f2e3b432da1c.jpegimage.jpeg.31d7c778b8436cd933e3227363c2ae6b.jpegimage.jpeg.637b2add7318716d330371358b4dbbd4.jpegimage.jpeg.e9fc6e50b916569bfe3a75972b984532.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34fd9e261de9117ea9c50cdc0dc40688.jpeg

Happy birthday tomorrow Bruce.

Really funny memes.

Graham.

76CD6CA2-D30F-404E-AC90-45961FE1F856.jpeg.804952145e44e55013c61f6aa17aa71e.jpeg

• Like 15

I still want to do nothing but sleep, but I'll stay home to do it. I would enjoy the meal if it could be made with turkey sausage; at home I'd need to use vegan sausage. I'd probably enjoy the wine, but I suspect that a St.-Julien would be above my means. The cocktail is a waste of good whiskey.

I haven't been to New Zealand. Do I get any credit for old Zealand? It's the island in Denmark that includes Copenhagen.

turneddown.thumb.jpg.e124e4a56ec4e29a9b9ff42498d70a0f.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 10

Good morning all,  

I am sort to say I joined the 3 AM club. I tend to do that especially before a trip. I plan on public sleeping today if only for a short time in the plane. I will leave after tax appointment today. I will need a distraction after working on my DH and DS final returns. 
Have a blessed day 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning on this last day of February.

I have tried making some silk floral arrangements for the house, with help from a friend. Love chili. I don't sleep in public; I can't sleep sitting up, have to be horizontal. True quote. The meal sounds great, although no pasta for me right now. I'll pass on the drink and wine (too $$$).

I was in Christchurch on my first HAL cruise, Auckland to Sydney, but didn't see the city.

It is gray, cloudy and windy so far today, although 42F. Yesterday I managed to get my tax paperwork submitted to my accountant. Today I want to work on getting my new auto and homeowner's insurance.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting the Fleet Report/Daily today. Sorry to hear of your poor sleep last night. I almost feel guilty that I've been sleeping well.

@kazu Hopefully no issues when you need to go to physio.

@ger_77 Oh my on DH's ongoing dental issues. Hopefully an easy fix. Sorry about the email issues. I periodically save a file of email from my email client; since I backup the PC to an external hard drive I could get it from there if needed.

@ottahand7 Thanks for sharing your photos.

@rafinmd I hope the appointment goes well today.

@dfish Woohoo on finally getting the additional dining room chairs. 

@superoma Happy Anniversary!

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear your stomach is being sensitive. 

@marshhawk That's unnerving about the house next door and your storage room. Do you have any outside cameras, like Blink? That way you could tell if anyone was on your property.

@kochleffel Sorry you're still lacking energy and want to sleep; hopefully that improves soon. 

@cruising sister Safe travels and have a great time!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

In Christchurch, we went to the International Antarctic Centre, so didn't see the city.

1650913366_310-ChristchurchInternationalAntarcticCentre.thumb.JPG.7370cf97e2f5c1c1c2d08c2be0b72517.JPG

1057866904_317-InsidetheIntlAntarcticCentre.thumb.JPG.1368d4a3784268a296bd4c1b8f448a5d.JPG

In the low temperature chamber

535239119_324-17_6F.thumb.JPG.06664454f570f31055e1122bb7e84a85.JPG

328.thumb.JPG.e60b05124adff91c99dfdb1cada351ef.JPG

332.thumb.JPG.553295b32527d57507db9fa413348cf1.JPG

333.thumb.JPG.f3792f6a97d4aceab2c2004e8ad98c53.JPG

Lyttelton Timeball Station. From 1876 to 1934 a ball dropped from its mast on its stone tower, signaling the time to ships in Lyttelton Harbor.

2101675695_336-LytteltonTimeballStation.thumb.JPG.04820df9cbc6a0856c36eccf7029834c.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

No problem sleeping here. Just woke up and enjoying my first cup of coffee and reading the Daily. Watching weather report last night and we had around 16 days in February that had record high temperatures. Maybe another one today as we are already at seventy degrees Fahrenheit.

At some point I need to take some time out from  my tremendously busy schedule to get a haircut. If I could just wean myself off from perusing Cruise Critic I could possibly find some time.

Tomorrow is my annual optometry appointment and I have no clue why I scheduled it on what will be my birthday? We have two large Maine lobsters ordered which will be my celebration dinner. I do think tomorrow’s optometry appointment will show it’s time for cataracts to be removed. 
Thanks for all the reports and post. Have a great day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.25dda4bef157d17e6ef707d65325be12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c23cf1de3abc4d399a21f2e3b432da1c.jpegimage.jpeg.31d7c778b8436cd933e3227363c2ae6b.jpegimage.jpeg.637b2add7318716d330371358b4dbbd4.jpegimage.jpeg.e9fc6e50b916569bfe3a75972b984532.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34fd9e261de9117ea9c50cdc0dc40688.jpeg

It might be good to get your eyes examined tomorrow on your birthday. This way you will be able to see all the candles to blow out; not saying your have a lot of candles to blow out, or you maybe a little older tomorrow; I better stop writing and just say, have a good day tomorrow.

The first cartoon is very funny. When I booked the first Voyage of the Viking cruise years ago someone told me that is you have a window cabin you would be issued an oar when boarding.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 11
  • Haha 8

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear your stomach is being sensitive

Vanessa, My stomach is not being sensitive now.  This is something I have been living with for years.  i just know what I can and cannot eat.  

Do not give me bell peppers, chili or anything that is spicy hot.  My tummy does not like them.

I look at Debbies recipes and drool.  Many of the meals are just not for me.

Thanks for your kind words.

Terri

• Like 22

Good morning from a sunny, 59F central Texas with no wind, and it will be 84F this afternoon.  Yesterday, I noticed that the oak trees that sent so many dead leaves into our port, now have new leaves to torture us next fall.  It looks like today, we will be heading to W-M to get a new car battery.  This one is 9 years old, and the car still started yesterday, but we don't want to take any chances.

For years I was a fill the vase with water and just stick the flowers in type of girl.  Then when older DD was in high school, one of her electives was floral arranging.  So now, I fill a vase and try to arrange the flowers.  We like chili in this house, but I'll wait until Friday, when it's supposed be be a high of 60F.   Sleeping in public is proudly celebrated on BHBs, and I've been know to sleep on tour buses, especially after a big lunch or a long day.

Most nights, I can sleep soundly while DH is the light sleeper who has trouble getting to sleep.  Last year, during the stress of not knowing what was going to happen until DH finally had his surgeries, and then after his surgeries, I was a member of the 3 am club.  Since he's been home and improving, that does not happen as often.

I like today's quote by J. K. Rowling.

The meal sounds nice, but probably not tonight.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine if it wasn't a little pricey.

We have not been to Lyttelton, New Zealand.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble sleeting,  

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you DH can get his partial plate fixed easily, and that the teeth stay put after this.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thank you for your pictures of Belem.  It looks worth taking the long bus ride to see.  Oh no about the lost pallet of cookie dough.   For me that would be worse than no flowers. 🍪  The Volendam won't cross the equator until after you leave the Amazon and begin heading north, so there is still hope for a crossing ceremony.  People who are late or no shows at the end of a tour are being rude to everyone else.  Once in Auckland on a tour we picked up in port, the driver left a couple at the museum when they hadn't returned after a reasonable time.  He told us that on a multiday tour, one couple was always 30 minutes late.  When they were not on the bus, he told the others that the actual time to be on the bus would be 30 minutes later than the publicly stated time.  No more waiting on the tardy couple. 😄

@dfish  👏  Yeah on getting your dining room chairs today, Debbie.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I hope your day stays calmer than yesterday.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you hear back from the contractor with a date for the tilers.  Enjoy your new tv table in the meantime.

@marshhawk  Annie, I too would keep the doors locked since someone is breaking into homes and storage rooms even when people are home.  Can you get the police to patrol the area more often?

@cruising sister  Lorraine, have a safe flight this afternoon and enjoy all the distractions LV offers.

@kochleffel  Paul, I hope your energy returns soon.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, thank you for your pictures today.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

We were in Christchurch/Littleton on our rect trip to New Zealand. We went on a 8 hour excursion to a sheep farm and where they still use Cyledales to pull all their equipment. we did see a lot of the countryside which was beautiful but the farm was a disappointment. Wished I had picked something else.  

Great rocket launch last evening from Spacex.  

@superoma Happy Anniversary. Sounds like a great dinner!

@aliaschief Happy Birthday tomorrow. Hope the eye appointment goes well.

Playing golf this afternoon. Dont usually play at this time but  I will take it. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23

Good morning.  Chili, flowers and sleeping sound pretty good, as does the tortellini.  I’m a Harry Potter fan and the quote is a memorable one.

We have not been to Lyttelton, but have been to Christchurch from port stop in Akaroa.  We don’t have photos, but I’ll share our experience there, since most seem to have mainly visited the museum.  

We enjoyed an early morning walk around Akaroa, which is a small but charming area, and then took a 9:30 a.m. City Line tour bus to Christchurch.  It was about an hour’s drive and we booked the shuttle there where the tender dropped us off in Akaroa.  

We were there in November of 2015, so after the earthquake.  The weather was perfect.  We walked through the interesting “Container Mall” that had every kind of shop set up in a container.  My understanding is that the area is closed now, as rebuilding has taken place.  The amount of devastation to the area was heartbreaking.  Beautiful old buildings destroyed.

But…the main memory I have of Christchurch and the reason everyone should go there is the out-of-this-world Botanic Garden within Hagley Park.  It is a truly magical area.  There are oaks, chestnuts, redwoods — every kind of tree — larger and healthier than any we’ve ever experienced.  The rhododendrons — also enormous and tree-like.  All the colors were vivid beyond belief. DH took many photos, but, sadly, can’t seem to find them.

Can you tell we enjoyed the park?  It’s a must-do.  And the drive there and back is lovely, too.  We were back onboard at 4:30 after an especially enjoyable day.

I hope everyone enjoys this day, too.   I suspect there might be some napping amongst us.  Thanks, everyone, for all the wonderful contributions here.  

634F3312-23E2-479F-A060-7BFE4EB671A1.jpeg.bd0cd009d5d21d7e1050fe49870c9cc8.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 6

Good morning all,

We had lots of rain during the night and now have a beautiful morning. I’m not ready to celebrate Flower Arranging Day yet. That will come in a few weeks. Today is another flower production day. The goal is a dozen anthurium. These are for our Mucha themed tea the end of next month.

4D2AA939-53A2-427C-96EA-E6485706164F.thumb.jpeg.57e94d98e63883ca62471540fde8f082.jpeg

@ger_77 Glad to hear you are on your way to getting your system set up.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

@Rafinmd

so glad you posted on Churchill.  Way back (I think 1994) I had a unique tour there.  At the time there was a "Tundra Buggy Lodge" , an elevated vehicle that went into the prime bear viewing area with an included dormitory.  While others were up at the crack of dawn to travel out to the tundra we slept a bit later and were still up viewing for a while as the bears were most active and then perhaps about 9 parked the lodge for a hearty breakfast, then a bit more viewing (although the bear's peak activity was past) and continued to relax and view throughout the day.  Sadly, I don't think the lodge is still in use.

The tundra buggies are still in use although not with a dormitory, even in the summer; however, they don't guarantee you will see any polar bears.  They are used in the winter when it is prime polar bear sighting season.

Hotels in Churchill are usally 3* or 4* - you go for the wildlife not for hotel accommodations.

Edna

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

A couple of photos from Christchurch which I passed through on the way back from the Antarctic Center.  The still (at least until recently) untouched Cathedral ruins:

cathedral2.jpg

And the innovative temporary replacement, using cardboard as the primary structural members:

cardboard.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, we on the K are still on Oahu. I made mention yesterday the forecast in Kauai has high winds and bad weather and not safe to bring our ship into the small harbor. So Captain (Frits Carsjens) made the decision to cancel the port. 

Also wanted to mention my sweet husband takes these gummies that help him relax. They are OLLY extra strength SLEEP.  

We had some busy days here in OAHU and don't think we will do much in the way of more sightseeing. 

Prayers lifted. Thanks to our faithful ladies for posting. God bless you!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, 

I have 2 inches of snow with more falling so am staying put for the moment. I prepped DH yesterday that I might not make it in or I'd be late. The thing is we have snow but in Burlington, which is about 7 miles away, it's green grass and some rain! Mother Nature is having fun with us. 

DH is continuing to do well to come home on Friday. Yesterday he stood at the parallel bars for over two minutes a couple of times so that was good. 

Today I'll get some phone calls made, get the banking things taken care of (payday for my teacher's pension) and maybe bake some cookies. 

Karen

• Like 25

Many of us have s-n-o-w right now.

I suspect that many of us have also been on cruises that called at Palma de Mallorca. When I was there in April 2018 it was already uncomfortably warm.

Guess what they have now in Palma.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/28/mallorca-snow-spain/

This is Valdemossa, at a higher altitude than Palma.

WBMJDKYDBNWU4PYO4CVWCLSMV4_size-normalized.jpg&w=1200

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser Today we did go north of the equator and I think our changed route confused many of us.   The Captain said at 1 am we crossed to 1 degree north in our circuitous route out of Belem.  We are now heading west into the mouth of the Amazon and back below the Equator.  So we will have 3 Equator crossings on this cruise. ⛴️ Nancy 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all! 
@superoma happy 53 anniversary!  
@Seasick Sailor there have been some serious wind advisories in Hawaii. The restaurant I had booked a month ahead called us to cancel, they couldn’t keep some of the food on the plate and then there’s the sand, lol! 
@ger_77 sorry about your DH Dental issues and your computer . We switched to apple many years ago and last year we got a new computer and it was absolutely seamless transfer.   I don’t think I could ever go back,  just a thought.  

well in honour of floral arranging look carefully and you will find a little friend. And I apologize for the upside down, I cannot remember How to turn it.  And I have now joined the one daily club I had wished to decline.  Up from 2:30 until 5 or o dark o’clock, arghh!,

500CF056-D822-4C6E-A89D-8B7D8F4DBE15.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1