Good Men's Hat for Carribean Sun?

CNSfromHI

Heading to the Caribbean in a few weeks and realize I need something better than a baseball cap to protect my face, ears and neck from this ☀️ so I don't look like this 🦞 on Day 02.

Thinking I'd need a full-brim thing in a lightweight color/fabric, and hopefully packable/crushable. All suggestions appreciated!

cjr

1 minute ago, CNSfromHI said:

Heading to the Caribbean in a few weeks and realize I need something better than a baseball cap to protect my face, ears and neck from this ☀️ so I don't look like this 🦞 on Day 02.

Thinking I'd need a full-brim thing in a lightweight color/fabric, and hopefully packable/crushable. All suggestions appreciated!

cjr

Go on Amazon and get yourself a Tilley hat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tilley. One of the ones with mesh so it breathes more. (Mine’s an Airflo, but there could be something newer and better.) A Panama hat looks better, but it’s not as practical. 

• Like 2

Wear the ball cap and pick up a hat from a vendor at one of the ports.  It will help them by the sale and you will have a souvenir.  

I wear ball cap and use sunscreen.  I never had any problems doing that. I am no longer  a sun worshiper and try to avoid the sun for extended periods.  I now prefer the  shade and not basting in the hot sun.  

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

Vietnam boonie hat. This one is the real thing (1970-71). Any 'bucket hat' will work fine. 

I need to find mine. I bought mine at Army Surplus.  Us sea based swabbies were not issued boonie hats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Tilley. One of the ones with mesh so it breathes more. (Mine’s an Airflo, but there could be something newer and better.) A Panama hat looks better, but it’s not as practical. 

What I like about a Tilley Airflo is that it also a good hat if it rains,. I can wear it in the water too. I wear an old old Tilley in the pool and hot tubsl. The only negative is that it won't stay on my head if it is windy. The strap will keep it from blowing away but there is no protection if it won't stay on my head. So I always pack a ball cap too. 

1 hour ago, danceswithphones said:

It was pretty much an Army thing. Infantry, Armor, and Artillery. Arty for me. Get some shipboard time? 

Spent almost every month Nov '70 -- Feb '73 off the coast.  Was in Hong Kong on liberty the morning the news broke that the peace treaty had been signed. 

Edited by DaKahuna

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Spent almost every month Nov '70 -- Feb '73 off the coast.

Thank you for your service! I'm surprised how many Navy people I've met who never served shipboard. Still a pretty good shooting war when I got there in October '70. Not so much when I left. 

12 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

Thank you for your service! I'm surprised how many Navy people I've met who never served shipboard. Still a pretty good shooting war when I got there in October '70. Not so much when I left. 

You are most welcome and thank you for your service as well. 

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yours is in a lot better shape than mine. 

I'm on my third one. Still available on ebay. I made sure the replacements were completely correct before finally giving up on the one I got in-country. Original packaging including the worthless mosquito netting. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Escape-Protection-Explorer-Heathered/dp/B08D1VS6QF/ref=asc_df_B08D1VS6QF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459574372013&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1251430382823292672&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016172&hvtargid=pla-945062758520&psc=1 

I am female but this comes in men's and women's versions. I got mine at Costco for about $11 and while it won't be seen on any runways anytime soon, it's been sturdy, water resistant, and totally worth the expenditure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Spent almost every month Nov '70 -- Feb '73 off the coast.  Was in Hong Kong on liberty the morning the news broke that the peace treaty had been signed. 

Was also there when it was signed. Was aboard CLG-5

• Like 1