The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 8th, 2023

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

Decided to get up after awaking at 3:00a. It’s still dark here. Guess it’s just part of the “packing crazies” I go through.

Our group has its first ride for several months. It’s been postponed several times due to rain and wet trails. Am expecting lots of wild flowers. 

It’s hard to believe it’s been that long. I was a teenaged dyed in the wool Dodgers fan at the time and not real pleased it was against the Dodgers, but not so sorry it was against Downing. The Dodgers used to have about 8 players on different parts of the stadium in booths to give autographs on Sundays. He had just refused to sign a baseball, saying he would only autograph paper. 

What are those birds?

Have a great day everyone!

Sandhill Cranes. When they talk it sounds like a prehistoric bird!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good morning everyone from slightly foggy San Diego.   The three days are interesting and any quote from Abraham Lincoln is good by me.  The sesame noodles and wine sound good.  Watermelon cocktails aren’t a favorite.

We haven’t been to Amber Cove yet.

I hope those on the unwell list are improving and getting stronger each day. I’m grateful to be up and about and looking forward to Easter Brunch.  DH is off to golf today with DSIL.  I might make a run to See’s Candies for Easter treats. We are lucky to have a small store a few minutes away.

@grapau27, your lunch looks delicious as always.

@aliaschief, congratulations on the upgrade!

@superoma, lovely that you can share fish and chips with your father at his grand old age of 93.

@smitty34877, prayers that the new aide stays a long time and eases things for you and your family.

Many thanks to the Daily Team and to all contributors.   Wishing all a lovely Saturday.

07D4E602-678F-49A4-B462-0A2C08373946.jpeg.69db18b456ecab9defb12f6566043915.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon on this Holy Saturday. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute all is ours day. I can't draw very well, although I haven't really tried. I like zoos now that animals are more free. Maybe on the meal (with half zoodles), and no to the drink and the wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Puerto Plata. 

It's going to be a nice day today, with some sun and temps up to the mid-50's later, after a chilly 29 this AM. I have a lot I need to do regarding packing and general "redding up" (a local idiom I never heard of before moving to Western PA) of the house. Sadly, my knee that was injected yesterday is hurting quite a bit; I guess the novocaine has worn off and the steroids aren't working yet. So I'm limping around 😞. BFF and I decided not to have me fix an Easter dinner, as the standing to cook wouldn't be easy for me.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to you and your twin sister! I like both pictures of you two! How much time was there between your birth and hers?

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations. And the meal photo.

@aliaschief I'm glad your plane was on time. Safe travels and congrats on the upgrades.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that it sounds like this new aide will work out. I hope Tana is doing better today.

@Lady Hudson Enjoy the cruise with your twin sister!

@ottahand7 Nice picture, with the rainbow.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry all of getting the house together falls on you; slowly but surely you'll get there. Sounds like a sad but necessary thing to sell DH's car if he's not safe to drive. 

@superoma Sorry your Father is struggling; it's hard to see (I went through it with my DM). 

@Seasick Sailor I hope the coughing is gone soon.

@Overhead Fred Happy Anniversary to you and Mitzi!

@kazu Thinking of you.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

None of the special days really grabs me, although I like zoos.

I suppose I could make sesame zoodles in consideration of Passover but I don't think I will. No on the cocktail and probably also on the wine. It's a Bordeaux-style blend, but with Merlot predominant. Bordeaux blends typically contain Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc, and I like them better with less Merlot. The same blend is sold by some wineries, including several in my region, as Meritage, a trademarked name (so they have to belong an an association and follow its rules) that avoids calling an American wine Bordeaux.

I haven't been to Puerto Plata or Amber Cove, but seeing how many cruises call at one of them, I probably will get there eventually.

The synagogue ritual for the Sabbath during Passover customarily includes a reading of the Song of Songs. It's not really explicit, but it is certainly suggestive. We read only part of it, and the two women (adults, not adolescents) who split the reading blushed, giggled, and almost collapsed in embarrassment. We also sang two modern settings of parts of it; here are links to iconic performances by the composers.

I'll be having some of the not-shepherd's-pie as soon as it heats up a little.

firedfromcleaning.thumb.jpg.ccbcc5ab5b32b43b56a05bbb7d593675.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Greetings everyone and thanks  

I'm a turkey fiend, DW makes it for me every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.  Well we took the bird out of the freezer on Wednesday, and Thursday night asked the youngest son to put it in the fridge. Just discovered he put it back in the freezer, now we have to try and thaw it again for tomorrow morning.  UGH!!!

So a few weeks out for our 30th Anniversary cruise and vow renewal on NA. We were cleaning around the house yesterday and looking at some old gold.  Decided we should take it in and have our bands remade  so off to the jeweler soon and see what can be done. Better than having that stuff just sitting in the safe  

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks all!

Happy birthday Sandi! 

Happy anniversary Fred and Mitzi! 

We were married at Easter as well five decades ago, hard to believe, but our actual anniversary date isn’t for a couple of weeks.  Always feel like we have two anniversaries. 

Happy  Easter!  Good passover and Ramadan wishes too! 
It’s starting to feel like spring,  the golden eyes are courting,  hurts my neck just watching!  

@RedneckBob those sand hill cranes have quite the strange unforgettable squawk! 

C420CB62-AA36-45C4-A398-E32CED4B113C.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lobsternight said:

Greetings everyone and thanks  

I'm a turkey fiend, DW makes it for me every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.  Well we took the bird out of the freezer on Wednesday, and Thursday night asked the youngest son to put it in the fridge. Just discovered he put it back in the freezer, now we have to try and thaw it again for tomorrow morning.  UGH!!!

yes I too like Turkey for Easter.  I do a ham for New Years.

Sorry to hear your bird is still STIFF but you have one more day.  good luck

• Like 9

Just a very quick note since I am not really functional at all.  Happy Bday and Happy Anniversary and good sailing to those going on cruises.

The back surgery was successful though the post op and being 100% functional I think will be a long haul. I am very grateful that I was able to move the surgery date up to well before my son's wedding in June which gives me time to recuperate. I am also glad we canceled our European port intensive cruise for this summer and re booked for next summer, since I don't think I would have been up to it.

I am up and walking but I can't sit down yet for any length of time so it is bed, up and walking, some PT exercises and back to the bed.  I had thought I would be back to work (remotely) this Monday, but that will not be happening.  I have to be able to sit down before I can work.  Oh well I was told to take all the time I need and I guess I will have to do that.  

Reading the daily keeps me sane, even though right now it is hard for me to post.  

Thank you for putting me on the care list. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Just a very quick note since I am not really functional at all.  Happy Bday and Happy Anniversary and good sailing to those going on cruises.

The back surgery was successful though the post op and being 100% functional I think will be a long haul. I am very grateful that I was able to move the surgery date up to well before my son's wedding in June which gives me time to recuperate. I am also glad we canceled our European port intensive cruise for this summer and re booked for next summer, since I don't think I would have been up to it.

I am up and walking but I can't sit down yet for any length of time so it is bed, up and walking, some PT exercises and back to the bed.  I had thought I would be back to work (remotely) this Monday, but that will not be happening.  I have to be able to sit down before I can work.  Oh well I was told to take all the time I need and I guess I will have to do that.  

Reading the daily keeps me sane, even though right now it is hard for me to post.  

I'm happy for you that your back surgery has been successful.

Take care and do all your rehabilitation exercises and hopefully the benefits will be massive for you.

Graham.

• Like 8

I watched the Nieuw Statendam departure from Port Everglades a while ago but they never panned the balconies so I didn't see DH's sister and BIL.  They're off to the Med now.  But wow on those toots leaving port!  Someone counted 16 long toots!  Bon Voyage!

Thanks again to everyone for the birthday wishes.  Vanessa @JazzyV Twin and I are 6 minutes apart.  11:53 pm for me and 11:59 pm for her.  From what I remember hearing, our parents had no idea there were twins arriving until birth.  I'm sure Dad was sitting in a waiting room and a nurse or doctor came out and announced the news.  Shock!  Big sister was thrilled with her Easter gift.  At the time we all 5 were crammed into a 1 bedroom flat until they could find something bigger.  😳

Thanks also go to @ocean sounds, Marge @Love the beach, Maxine @AncientWanderer, Linda @lindaler, Paul @kochleffel, Brenda @bennybear, and @tupper10 .  Sorry the recovery from your back surgery has been so rough @tupper10.  All that activity to stay comfortable must make for a difficult time getting enough sleep.  Hope things start going better soon.

Paul @kochleffel thanks for showing and explaining your Passover customs.  Very informative!

Time for happy hour!

• Like 11

Good afternoon.  It was cloudy this morning when I finally opened the blinds, but there was not much wind.  We actually reached 66F this afternoon, and the sun is coming in and out of the clouds.  I don't remember the last time it was sunny.  Our rain chances keep moving, and now Monday is supposed to be the rainy day.  I just hope the prediction of warmer temperatures holds.  

The house is clean, at least for a while.  After I finished the cleaning, and rested for a few minutes, I took some things to the attic to store, brought some things down that can be tossed.  While I was up there, I changed the a/c filter.  All I can say, it's been worse, but not by much.

With our nice sunny afternoon and at least warmer weather, we took a golf cart ride around our neighborhood.  I think the golf cart might have been lonely.  Since I've been walking and picking up the mail, it hasn't been driven much this year. One good thing about all the walking was it was easier to climb the drop down ladder to reach the attic.

9 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Our weather forecast for the next several days doesnt look very good but who knows?!

I cant draw a straight line so wont attempt a bird. Beautiful but sad story about the origin of this day. Thanks Graham @grapau27

A very Happy Birthday to Sandi @StLouisCruisers and your twin.

@Overhead Fred Happy Anniversary to you and Mitzi. 

@aliaschief Have a wonderful and safe trip

@smitty34877  Hope the new aide works out. Sounds promising. 

DH and DS are volunteering at a shredding event this morning. Sponsored by the local police department and the library. It is usually a very popular event. It is a drive thru, so the people just drive up and pop the trunk. DS who is young and strong lifts the boxes right into the shredding truck. Goes smoothly.

I will run to the mall when hey return, Want to get a few things for the Easter baskets. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, that was nice of your DH and DS to volunteer at the shredding event.  

8 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all. It looked like great weather for a while so DGS and I will clean off the outdoor furniture and bring out the cushions. 

Happy Birthday Sandi and thanks for getting us started each morning. Happy Anniversary Fred. May today be great for both of you. 

I splurged and bought attachable luggage. With two bad hands (one waiting for surgery and one recovering) I need help handling two pieces of luggage. I hope they are what they are advertised as I am sure I’ll need more than a carry-on for my next cruise.

Prayers for those on the Carol list and for those suffering in the world. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Lorraine, I hope the new luggage works as promised and makes traveling easier.

8 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Saturday morning all.

Sorry I have been AWOL. We have had a series of power outages here since Wednesday,  I have had all sorts of computer problems because of that.

Today all the emails I have sent over the last few days have been returned as “undeliverable”. Reason “potential spam”.  Thank you very much.

Trying to catch up.  All is well and I am working hard to get this house in decent shape.  As you probably realize, it is all falling on my shoulders.  I can only do so much and no more in one day.  Part of the each day is looking for things that should be in one place but are not where they belong.  Every day is a new discovery around here.

Still waiting for the glass to be installed in the shower.  Yesterday we put up a tension rod and shower curtain so that we can use the shower and not get water all over the floor.

We have decided that we will sell DH’s car.  He hardly drives it and I am very relieved.  Every time he goes out I do nothing but pray that he does not have an accident. However this puts an added burden on me to do all the driving everywhere.  However, safety is important.

I went on the Carvana website and was very surprised at the amount of money they offered for it.  An offer we can’t refuse.  We will probably go ahead with it on Monday.

Prayers for all during this very special and Holy Season—no matter what you celebrate.  I will keep all of you in my prayers, especially those on the cares list.  

Cheers to those celebrating and those cruising.

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Terry, I know that was a difficult decision to sell your DH's car.  I hope the job getting the house back in shape becomes easier.  

8 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Lovely sunshine this morning and the same for tomorrow.  @dfish is just far enough north of us to get a little wintry mix this morning. And one dd and DSIL are in ipperwash Ontario on Lake Huron and they too will get some wintry mix. Yesterday we had a nice lunch with my father. Picked up fish and chips to enjoy with him. He wasn’t having a great day. The cable on his garage door snapped so he can’t close it right now. Repair to come on Monday. He lost some bookmarks on the internet, not sure how he does that. He actually thought his cable was Down (tv and internet) but it was just a loose battery on his remote that wouldn’t change channels. Got him up and running. In the last months and especially since this last car accident, I see he is struggling and really showing his age (93 in July). He has decided he will not buy another car, his was so damaged that insurance wrote it off. This was a tough decision for him since he has been driving since about age 20 and has owned a car since 1953 or so. He still lives in his house but not having a car may help in his decision to move to a retirement home. 

Birthday and anniversary wishes to those celebrating. Hope everyone has a great day. We will spend Easter with the other DD and DSIL, probably outside on the patio. Word has it we may reach 80f by Thursday!

Eva, while it was a hard decision, I know you are relieved your father decided to hang up the keys.  It's always easier when our parents make that decision in stead of our having to force them to.  I was lucky that my father knew when it was time to quit, and to let my stepmother do the driving.  Her kids weren't so lucky with her.

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi again y'all.  I finally located the baby photo I was thinking of earlier this morning.  Not where I thought it was.  I must have "organized" my photos and placed it with other photos in a box.  This must be how Terri @Cruzin Terri feels when things aren't where they used to be.  😂  Here we are.  I am on the left and Twin (Linda) is on the right.  We are fraternal twins.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL66-e7XWiOXPuX-Tz9UzNIVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1680957701

Thanks for all of you who sent me good wishes today.  Graham @grapau27, Ann @cat shepard, Bruce @aliaschief, Terry @smitty34877, Katherine @Lady Hudson, Dixie, @summer slope, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, @RedneckBob, Debbie @dfish, Charlene @cunnorl, Nancy @ottahand7, Lorraine @cruising sister, Annie @marshhawk, Terri @Cruzin Terri, @Mr. Boston, Roy @rafinmd, Eva @superoma, and Joy @Seasick Sailor .  It's nice having so many CC friends and spend time with you here.  

I have a bunch of cards collected on the mantel I need to open next.  Saved them all for the Big Day.

Bruce @aliaschief nice being upgraded to First Class today!  Sorry about the bad weather here today.  I heard the weatherman say we're in a Wedge.  Colder temps along the Mid Atlantic down to central Georgia.  Hope your travels are safe today and you get settled in at your hotel before long.  Thanks for the great memes!

Terry @smitty34877 I'm really hoping this new aide works out well for you and Tana.  🤞

Katherine @Lady Hudson wonderful news about the cruise with your TWIN! 

Joy @Seasick Sailor are you feeling any better today?  🤗 Hugs to you!

Sandy, both pictures of you and Linda are adorable.

6 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

Happy Saturday everyone!  

To go with National Zoo day, the Houston Zoo has had their grand opening of their new Galapagos Island animal exhibit his week.  I can’t wait to visit it! 

https://www.houstonzoo.org/explore/exhibits/galapagos/

Happy birthday Sandi and twin Linda

Happy Anniversary Fred and Mitzi,

Thanks to all who keep our Daily thread going !

Prayers for those in need, and smiles and cheers for those with good news.

When we lived in The Woodlands and the DDs were younger, we'd go to the Houston Zoo a few times a year. 

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@StLouisCruisers 

Sandi I am feeling better but my cough returned so I started in with Mucinex which helps. Weird cold!

image.png.4b223c32688d73466b88172c4803557e.png

Joy, I'm glad your feeling better, but sorry your cough returned.  I hope it's all behind you soo.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon on this Holy Saturday. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute all is ours day. I can't draw very well, although I haven't really tried. I like zoos now that animals are more free. Maybe on the meal (with half zoodles), and no to the drink and the wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Puerto Plata. 

It's going to be a nice day today, with some sun and temps up to the mid-50's later, after a chilly 29 this AM. I have a lot I need to do regarding packing and general "redding up" (a local idiom I never heard of before moving to Western PA) of the house. Sadly, my knee that was injected yesterday is hurting quite a bit; I guess the novocaine has worn off and the steroids aren't working yet. So I'm limping around 😞. BFF and I decided not to have me fix an Easter dinner, as the standing to cook wouldn't be easy for me.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to you and your twin sister! I like both pictures of you two! How much time was there between your birth and hers?

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations. And the meal photo.

@aliaschief I'm glad your plane was on time. Safe travels and congrats on the upgrades.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that it sounds like this new aide will work out. I hope Tana is doing better today.

@Lady Hudson Enjoy the cruise with your twin sister!

@ottahand7 Nice picture, with the rainbow.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry all of getting the house together falls on you; slowly but surely you'll get there. Sounds like a sad but necessary thing to sell DH's car if he's not safe to drive. 

@superoma Sorry your Father is struggling; it's hard to see (I went through it with my DM). 

@Seasick Sailor I hope the coughing is gone soon.

@Overhead Fred Happy Anniversary to you and Mitzi!

@kazu Thinking of you.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

When DH had his steroid shots in his knees, the same thing happened.  The next day, he was pain free, but the following day, the numbing drug had worn off.  

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Made it to Fort Lauderdale along with luggage. I guess we have stayed at Renaissance enough times as several staff recognized us from previous visits.

Me thinking a nap before dinner at Boatyard. Zzzzzzzzz!

Bruce, I'm glad you arrived safely in FLL and with all your luggage.

25 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I'm glad your surgery was a success.  The recovery will take time, but following doctors orders does help.  When DH had his surgery last fall, he was told to walk often, but to not sit in one place for more than two hours before returning to bed to rest.  I think walking is the key, since too much time in bed can cause problems too.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Another on the semi-aquatic mammal topic:

A man in Queensland, Australia, has been charged with kidnapping a wild platypus. This is a serious offense in Australia, with a maximum fine of $289,000, and he can't surrender it, because he apparently set it loose.

The platypus is a mammal that lays eggs, and has a bill like a duck and webbed feet. Males also have venomous spurs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/06/world/australia/platypus-australia-train.html?smid=url-share

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Catching up with the daily news.

Yesterday a busy day, included travelling  to a favourite restaurant for a splendid lunch on our wedding anniversary.....where have all those years gone??

Have not been to today's port.

@aliaschief  thank you for your humour today, great to have the upgrades for your flights.  Wishing you and DW a wonderful cruise.

@StLouisCruisers  Happy Birthday to you and your twin.
@Overhead Fred   Happy Anniversary.

@JazzyV  hope your knee improves very soon.

@smitty34877  good that the new aide coped well, hope she continues to work with Tana for a long time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3