Would you pay $4 million to buy a lifetime cruise cabin?

ontheweb

A "lifetime cruise cabin" is good for about 25 years maximum. At that point the engines are shot, the hull is rotting, and repairs / maintenance are beyond any reasonable cost.

Then what is your $4 Mil cabin worth when the ship cannot move anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

A "lifetime cruise cabin" is good for about 25 years maximum. At that point the engines are shot, the hull is rotting, and repairs / maintenance are beyond any reasonable cost.

In a lot less than 25 years these problems would be with me, not the ship; but the end result would be the same.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I wouldn't be available to go on a lifetime cruise costing $4,000,000.

Because I'd be in jail for embezzling $4,000,000.

JB 🙂

No, with that much cash you could find a lawyer who would get you off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you imagine if you didn't like the neighbors?

Or the guy next door likes to hang out on his veranda au naturel (like Terry Bradshaw in Failure to Launch)?  It would be interesting...

Or your cabin was one of the ones that creaks?

I think if I had 4 Million US$ to splurge with I would try a variety of ships at the suite level until I found one that I liked, then travel every few months.  I would still keep a brick & mortar home.  :  ) 

Four million dollars, at a conservative inflation-adjusted return of 4% per annum, would yield income of $160k per year without loss of capital. Or the same amount could be spent on an annuity that would yield about $200k per year for someone with a 30-year life expectancy. Consider that when deciding on the wisdom of blowing $4M on a lifelong cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would likely invest it and take some nice trips off the earnings. No way I’d put it all into one travel bucket.

If for some reason the $4 million came with a caveat that I HAD to spend it all on something travel-related upfront, I’d buy a nice apartment in central Rome.

17 hours ago, shorne said:

Four million dollars, at a conservative inflation-adjusted return of 4% per annum, would yield income of $160k per year without loss of capital. Or the same amount could be spent on an annuity that would yield about $200k per year for someone with a 30-year life expectancy. Consider that when deciding on the wisdom of blowing $4M on a lifelong cruise.

This is not vacationer logic. You should be looking at FREE AND UNLIMITED FOREVER and defended with any other convenience they can think off of the top of their head.

Your good example aside, I would get bored of the same ship and the same stuff. Sure the ports are nice and could vary, but ports are not exclusive to that ship. I would much rather just go on a bunch of different vacations. 

• Like 1

The 4 million is for a home at sea; not an extended vacation. In many home markets $4 million is not crazy over the top. And clearly you would not make this purchase if it was a financial strain, this would be more like if you had $10 million and decided to sell your $3 million home and move to your new condo at sea. 

50 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

. And clearly you would not make this purchase if it was a financial strain, this would be more like if you had $10 million and decided to sell your $3 million home and move to your new condo at sea. 

BUT..Hopefully, you've put the spare 6 mil back for the preverbal 'rainy' day because 20-30 years down the toad your 'sea condo' runs aground to an asian or south asian breaker because your condo's engines and hull have wore out and been sold for scrape 😞 A fate that land locked L Ron Hubbard.

Mac