Viking Will Operate Rhine Cruises Through the Winter

Host Jazzbeau

Copycat? Not quite, but following in the footsteps of Viva Cruises, the German company that has completed the second season of winter cruising successfully. The difference is that Viva Cruises operates those itineraries both on the Rhine/Main and canals to the North with the large ships and the smaller ones whereas Viking has chosen the standard Rhine route popular with its customer base. Viking cannot operate on the canals with its long 135m ships.Viking's press release: https://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/2023-05-23-viking-announces-new-treasures-of-the-rhine-itinerary.html

Sorry, but from my comments above you can see that the phrase quote: "...establishes Viking as the first line to operate year-round..." end quote, is not correct.

I am not convinced that seeing the river in four Celsius and rain and mist with the potential of flooding is an enticing idea. It does snow in January but a winter wonderland is not a given. Still, if you are prepared for all that it sure is a nice itinerary.

notamermaid

I wonder who the target consumer is for these cruises? It’s too darn cold for me. Christmas markets I’m willing to suffer a little. I can’t see these cruises being popular with the Viking core clients. 

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Am I missing something? The only reference I see is to off season sailings.

I think the idea was they were already doing sailings throughout the 'season' that everybody else does, this extends the season for this itinerary to all 12 months.  Not a time that I would want to do a river cruise in this part of the world, but the ships are there and the rivers are there so even without 'Christmas Markets' some people may like the 'offseason' vibe?

[My state-supported university was under great pressure to show 'productivity gains' which is hard to do in an industry that sees small classes as a better learning environment – so we came up with the idea of scheduling required classes on Friday afternoon.  The rooms were there, the faculty were paid for, so better use of the 'infrastructure' = productivity.  In our case, the students hated it.  But if Viking prices it right and only runs a few ships, there might be enough customers to make it work.  Especially as @notamermaid has documented that the rivers are getting clogged up with the vast numbers of river ships during the high season.  Worth a try, anyway...]

• Like 2

Clever marketing and innovative activities can work wonders.  There was a time when hardly anyone would travel to Iceland in the Winter--now with the push to see the Northern Lights and have an adventure, Iceland is booked non-stop.  The number of cruise ships going there is remarkable--even if, as just this past week on a Sky Princess cruise, the winds and waves prevented almost all port calls!

Would I go on a Rhine cruise at an off-time?  Well, first comes Oktoberfest, then the festive Christkindlmarkts, and anymore people are 100% ready to celebrate the new year on a cruise.  But what about those Winter months when it is dark, gloomy, and cold?  It is rare that the Rhine freezes, so the ships would be operable, but what is the draw for the tourist?  

I will add that my husband is a skier, so we always travel several times a year in the very cold, snowy weather, and the ski resorts have learned how to make themselves busy, cozy, popular and now quite costly oases of restaurants, shopping, bars and even nightclubs (après-ski). 

I am sure some well-paid Viking public relations gurus can figure out how to make the off-season Rhine a go-to destination--maybe offer discounts for members of the European Union?  But we know Viking caters to many Americans, so there has to be more of a gimmick--singles' dating cruises?  Couples' vow renewal cruises?  The list is endless...

They could easily tie some of the sailings in with the Faschings (German Mardi Gras) season leading up to Rosen Montag and Lent.  Traveling off season through Central Europe has its charms. Lack of crowds being chief amongst them. The itinerary is excellent and the pricing is attractive. I have no doubt they will find success with these sailings. 

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think the idea was they were already doing sailings throughout the 'season' that everybody else does, this extends the season for this itinerary to all 12 months.  Not a time that I would want to do a river cruise in this part of the world, but the ships are there and the rivers are there so even without 'Christmas Markets' some people may like the 'offseason' vibe?

[My state-supported university was under great pressure to show 'productivity gains' which is hard to do in an industry that sees small classes as a better learning environment – so we came up with the idea of scheduling required classes on Friday afternoon.  The rooms were there, the faculty were paid for, so better use of the 'infrastructure' = productivity.  In our case, the students hated it.  But if Viking prices it right and only runs a few ships, there might be enough customers to make it work.  Especially as @notamermaid has documented that the rivers are getting clogged up with the vast numbers of river ships during the high season.  Worth a try, anyway...]

Got it. I thought your headline meant just the 10 day Rhine itinerary.

I wonder about how flexible the itineraries will need to be.  While most of it is river adjacent,  I have no idea how good Dutch/German/French/Swiss road authorities are at clearing roads (or of business tolerance for snow). But there are definitely a few excursions on that itinerary (Heidelberg) that would be less accessible by bus if the roads were snowed over.  The guide I had in Bulgaria talked about  about viking still sending buses back in March during a particularly good snow on a pretty long excursion into the mountains (and having to get salt trucks to get them there). (something like if we have to stop for anything we aren't going to make it, and then running into a herd of cows on the road).

Ironically when I went to look at the viking page for the itinerary there is snow in the very first picture

Viking obviously knows what they are doing, but I haven't seen a full AMA ship in the past 3 years in spring/fall I cant imagine what they would get in the middle of winter.

(AMAMagna was 150ish this month but thats a ship that can take 195 which is vikings max as well)

Edited by CastleCritic

I think it has possibilities if the pricing is right.  Kind of like visiting Paris in the winter after Christmas.  Lower airfares and hotel rates; far fewer crowds and tourists. 

I did a Christmas cruise with Tauck last year.  The weather was miserable in Holland and Belgium but it was one of my best cruises.  I've booked it again this year and the New Years cruise after it. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 4:36 PM, Daisi said:

My main concern would be the icy cobblestones....and some of the steeper streets! 

Good point. I have had a look and it seems that Marksburg Castle is open all year. But would I want to be up there in winter? Snow looks great but icy ground is dangerous in that place. I think such an itinerary needs adapting to the weather conditions. A Black Forest coach trip is fabulous in snow, but, again, icy or rainy and blustery? Not my thing.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We could always bring our ice spikes, but not sure how much they would like us walking around in the lobby of the ship with them on. They make a mess on carpets. We have learned to buy cheap Dollar Store "welcome" mats as they have to be replaced every year.

It only adds about 10 weeks to the schedule.

There are often travel agent sailings mid-March, so off season. 

I heard from a vendor that they often spend 3-4 weeks getting a ship ready for spring sailings (bring it out from winter, make sure safety protocols are working). This eliminates that downtime as it will be continually done (safety checks).

I often sail off season as the price is right. I have had no regrets when I have done so.

There are also some professions that often can't sail during several times of the year. I think of farmers who often vacation in January and February. I am sure there are other professions.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

I heard from a vendor that they often spend 3-4 weeks getting a ship ready for spring sailings (bring it out from winter, make sure safety protocols are working). This eliminates that downtime as it will be continually done (safety checks).

But that's also the time they do the sprucing up that keeps river ships looking so new.  Still, Viking has so many ships they can probably rotate them in and out to keep up with maintenance on the entire fleet.

• Like 1

Looking at their web site its a Winter only itinerary and only affects 2 ships (Alruna and Tialfi).  Both 2016 builds so they should be at about the same place in the maintenance cycle.

Im sure near the end if they feel those two need anything they will substitute them from their stored fleet towards the end.

Edited by CastleCritic

My bad.  I had changed the headline to focus on river cruises (the original headline seemed even more misleading to me – decide for yourselves now that I changed it back in post #1) but didn't confirm the details on Viking's website.  The Porthole article says "the voyage will sail year-round."

For comparison, there are now similar articles on two other websites:

SeaTrade: Viking introduces year-round river cruising in Europe

TravelWeekly: Viking will operate Rhine cruises through the winter

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking Will Operate Rhine Cruises Through the Winter

I'm booked to take this cruise over Christmas with spouse, boarding 23 December.  It's 9 nights.  Our adult kids are scattered to the winds, so this will be nice.  

Lived in Germany so aware weather will be blah...also I currently live 9 miles east of Lake Ontario, so chances are it will be worse at home.

Yes, we are on Tialfi.  Interested to see what they do with us Christmas day.  We have a scenic cruising day scheduled for 'pretty part' of Rhine.  Nice if they have some of the polar parkas and mulled wine on the Sun deck.  The guy running the grill with some brats would put it over the top.

• Like 1

We have done two Christmas New Year's cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest. Two weeks on the Danube in the rain, sleet, sunshine, cold, but no snow. There were quite a few on board from Australia and New Zealand  hoping to experience a white Christmas. Perhaps less crowded sites and the chance to see snow will entice cruisers.

RB 

• Like 1

I agree – winter cruising in Northern Europe is not for me.  That's when we abandon the Northeast US and head South!  But different strokes for different folks.  I have no doubt that Viking can fill a couple of ships with this strategy.

Snowbirds eh Jazz we met quite a few due to the time of year we went to the USA on business. Which got me thinking Viking may be onto a bit of a ploy here such as aiming for the people who cannot get away due to family, business or health reasons during the summer not necessarily huge numbers but just enough to make it viable.

Just two ships should work. I agree Canal archive that there is a small market especially among those not being able to travel for the reasons you mentioned. After all, Viva Cruises found out that they could arouse enough interest to go into a second season.

But of course Viking will not mention other than in the small print that river levels can be an issue. Ahh, ship swap you may say, start one ship in Amsterdam and the corresponding one in Basel. Yeaahh, that would work if it was low water. We do not get low water on the Rhine in winter (98 percent correct). Flooding is the problem which Viking cannot get around with the usual ship swap. Authorities ban river traffic and Viking has no influence over that. I recognize that the problem is small but "avoiding the Kaub bottle neck" is not what would solve it. The Upper Rhine valley would be more likely to through a spanner in the works, i.e. disrupt a Basel to Amsterdam itinerary.

notamermaid

• 2 months later...

I am booked for end of Jan this year Rhine river cruise with Viking. Excited to be going to new places instead of another island again for our early winter vacation. I am okay being outside in the cold weather and have winter gear. 

I do think it would be very interesting to take the same trip again once the weather warms up- it would be a totally different experience.

Looking forward to the adventure:)

~Tracy