Shorts in the dinning room

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Why? 
And this is why Royal Caribbean crew isn’t doing it too. Who wants confrontation?

I am thinking that NCL which I like way less than RCI does this better. They have smaller MDR where people who don’t wish to wear pants dine. However they don’t allow people in shorts in large MDR. Everyone is happy. 🙂 

Perfect...you can go on NCL and be happy as well.  Love when everyone remains happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Fancy dress up is not what the contemporary cruise wants. Royal is still stuck with the idea of formal nights. They don’t appreciate that they are not a luxury cruise line. Formal nights and fixed time dining need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

This was formal night on our Wonder of the Seas cruise. Note all of the tuxes. 
IMG_6089.png.29a1be6296cbe0502774e782876290bb.png 

Who doesn’t appreciate? RCI? I’m sure RCI knows what line they are.

Luxuriousness of cruise line also has nothing to do with formal nights. 🙂 Luxury lines mostly use country club dress code.

Formal or near formal line is Cunard… which for the most part is not a luxury line. But they do require tux/suits during formal nights and sport coats/nice dresses after 6 pm nightly on regular nights. 

RCI did not have ANYTHING like this for 20 years we cruised with them. 
What they have is dress your best at best. 🙂

Regular pants/jeans have nothing to do with formal clothes.

Edited by Tatka

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Why? 
And this is why Royal Caribbean crew isn’t doing it too. Who wants confrontation?

I am thinking that NCL which I like way less than RCI does this better. They have smaller MDR where people who don’t wish to wear pants dine. However they don’t allow people in shorts in large MDR. Everyone is happy. 🙂 

Why. You asked the CC community "if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR?"  No one here can answer what others do. We are always happy when we are eating in the MDR in the evening on RC.  Personally what others wear isn't my (our) concern. That's all on the staff at the entrance to the MDR. We were subject to a noisy busy body concerning what we were wearing one evening while standing in line to the MRD on the JOS a few years ago. I didn't ignore her comment.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Perfect...you can go on NCL and be happy as well.  Love when everyone remains happy.

I can go on any lines, and that’s what I do. In 20 years 58 cruises were with 8 lines. Lately almost inclusively with RCI. 

As a devoted cruiser to RCI (with 29 by the end of this year) I propose a separate dining room or a floor depending on RCI ship (Quantum class ships for the most part have 4 rooms) for people who don’t own any pants or jeans. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I can go on any lines, and that’s what I do. In 20 years 58 cruises were with 8 lines. Lately almost inclusively with RCI. 

As a devoted cruiser to RCI (with 29 by the end of this year) I propose a separate dining room or a floor depending on RCI ship (Quantum class ships for the most part have 4 rooms) for people who don’t own any pants or jeans. 🙂 

Let us know how that turns out.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Why. You asked the CC community "if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR?"  No one here can answer what others do. We are always happy when we are eating in the MDR in the evening on RC.  Personally what others wear isn't my (our) concern. That's all on the staff at the entrance to the MDR. We were subject to a noisy busy body concerning what we were wearing one evening while standing in line to the MRD on the JOS a few years ago. I didn't ignore her comment.

And this is cool.. You appreciate hairy legs in crocs contest next to you enjoy 🙂 . I proposed something that’s not difficult to achieve. Simple pants/jeans will do. 
When you say you don’t need to look at other people legs in a situations like this 
 those legs can be much closer to you than you think. 
This is Liberty 3rd floor. (In some reason picture is attaching upside down, but it is clear how close tables are)

IMG_9629.jpeg

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

And this is cool.. You appreciate hairy legs in crocs contest next to you enjoy 🙂 . I proposed something that’s not difficult to achieve. Simple pants/jeans will do. 
When you say you don’t need to look at other people legs in a situations like this 
This is Liberty 3rd floor.

Haven't notice or care. The only set of legs close or next to mine are my wife's. We only do two tops. Breakfast and dinner. 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Haven't notice or care. The only set of legs close or next to mine are my wife's. We only do two tops. Breakfast and dinner. 😉

We also always use tables for two. Always. However I’m sure you couldn’t miss how close tables are placed in MDR. 

Maybe you generally don’t notice things.. even hairy legs belonging to a stranger in crocs right next to you. Good for you I guess. 🙂 

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, AC Stew said:

But if it's Europe ... they might want to invest in a pair or two of khakis or even black jeans. No need to get fancy, just a step up from what they'd wear during the day.

Even Europe is more casual these days. Definitely a difference on Symphony ex BCN last month compared to smaller ships a few years ago. Maybe it's a younger more family ordinated crowd on the big girls.

Having said that there were still a fair few smart suits/dinner jackets/posh frocks. Basically I think most anything goes 

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

If you are too lazy I will remind you.

I’m lazy so remind me, is the Love Boat era the one wear folks minded their own beeswax and didn’t let what others are wearing affect their vacations?

• Haha 4

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

I wore shorts to dinner in March on Celebrity

I watched people being turned away last fall. Getting away with it does not mean it meets dress code. I should qualify that shorts are often allowed night one.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Actually, the head of dining on Harmony, who is moving to Icon to set up dining, told us they were doing something like this on Icon during our All Access tour last month. Except that it was the opposite. He said they were going to take one room (he referenced like Quantum) and it will be strictly formal for those that want formal. The other dining rooms/floors will remain casual for the majority of cruisers who prefer casual in the Caribbean.

Whether this will actually happen is yet to be seen as the logistics seems difficult unless you choose formal much like early or late dining.  But a formal dining room may happen if you believe the future head of dining of Icon.

Edited by cruise_co
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Fancy dress up is not what the contemporary cruise wants. Royal is still stuck with the idea of formal nights. They don’t appreciate that they are not a luxury cruise line. Formal nights and fixed time dining need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

This was formal night on our Wonder of the Seas cruise. Note all of the tuxes. 
IMG_6089.png.29a1be6296cbe0502774e782876290bb.png 

The dress code for formal nights is now "smart casual". No matter how you stretch the definition, pretty sure guys waiting on line dress is a far cry from smart casual. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We also always use tables for two. Always. However I’m sure you couldn’t miss how close tables are placed in MDR. 

Maybe you generally don’t notice things.. even hairy legs belonging to a stranger in crocs right next to you. Good for you I guess. 🙂 

Your picture shows floor length table cloths. Do you lift up the table cloth of the table next to you to inspect legs?  If you are grossed out by male bare shins there are at least two cloth barriers between you and your neighbor's bare shins.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Tatka said:

This is Liberty 3rd floor. (In some reason picture is attaching upside down, but it is clear how close tables are)

IMG_9629.jpeg

I’d be more worried about how one would sit at these upside down tables, let alone how much leg they’d show in shorts.  😂

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Half of Royal Caribbean’s client base nowadays look like they just rolled out of bed and into a Walmart super center. 

The shorts debate is long gone. Practically anything goes on these ships now and there’s no need to dress up to have them serve you your microwave quality dinner in the MDR 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Half of Royal Caribbean’s client base nowadays look like they just rolled out of bed and into a Walmart super center. 

The shorts debate is long gone. Practically anything goes on these ships now and there’s no need to dress up to have them serve you your microwave quality dinner in the MDR 😂

Royal's attempt to become Carnival is almost complete. The pull of the dark side is strong. They had to find someway to distinguish themselves from Celebrity. I was hoping it would be more the family friendly route via ship designs versus cutting quality and service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Royal's attempt to become Carnival is almost complete. The pull of the dark side is strong. They had to find someway to distinguish themselves from Celebrity. I was hoping it would be more the family friendly route via ship designs versus cutting quality and service.

Spot on

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I wouldn’t say so. At least on cruises we go. Carnival yes, NCL is much closer. 
Not sure about “anything goes”. At least not publicly. 

Again, I have limited experience cruising from Florida now and never cruised from Texas, so cannot say about it. On cruises (especially 7 days and longer) from Boston, Bayonne and Baltimore most things are fine. 

54 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d be more worried about how one would sit at these upside down tables, let alone how much leg they’d show in shorts.  😂

Interesting is that I even added comment about picture attaching incorrectly (probably forum’s bug) and yet…

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

...and this is why our July Family sailing on the Oasis will be our last RCI cruise!!!! 

• Like 2