Shorts in the dinning room

22 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I know I will get slammed for this but here goes from me!!!

Yes, anything goes and that's why our Oasis sailing this summer (which was booked specifically to cruise with Family) will be our last RCI sailing. Our current Diamond status is no longer an incentive for us to book with them and their apparent current "anything goes in so many areas as long as we fill the ships" policies. 

So with whom will you be cruising?

On 6/8/2023 at 11:21 AM, moposh said:

Yes.  I wore shorts my first night as my luggage had not yet arrived to my room.  It wasn't an issue.  I have seen people wear shorts on formal nights.

Because they wear formal shorts.  Therefore, those shorts are defended. Does one have pretension to the word “formal”.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So wearing a pair of shorts to dinner in a TROPICAL destination is "disrespectful"???

A large portion of the world from tropical locales would strongly disagree with you

Of course not.  However when a cruise line or restaurant has a dress code for dinner, lets respect it.  You don’t have to wear a tux, unless you want to, but long pants— not a big deal. Wear shorts from breakfast and lunch!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

On 6/8/2023 at 1:54 PM, Joseph2018Baltic said:

I can't believe this question is still being asked!

As in “I cannot believe people not wearing shorts are still cruising”.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Of course not.  However when a cruise line or restaurant has a dress code for dinner, lets respect it.  You don’t have to wear a tux, unless you want to, but long pants— not a big deal

However the entire post here is the fact that there is not a dress code...period

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mugtech said:
22 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I know I will get slammed for this but here goes from me!!!

Yes, anything goes and that's why our Oasis sailing this summer (which was booked specifically to cruise with Family) will be our last RCI sailing. Our current Diamond status is no longer an incentive for us to book with them and their apparent current "anything goes in so many areas as long as we fill the ships" policies. 

So with whom will you be cruising?

While I am sure I will cruise Royal again, of the seven cruises I have been on since the restart, 3 have been on other lines (Hal, Celebrity, and Princess). 

14 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

when a cruise line or restaurant has a dress code for dinner, lets respect it.

There is no dress code. Take a gander at your RC FAQ copy/paste in post #25, it says suggested, not required. Me personally, I wear pants but I respect other passengers right to choose, not some silly dress suggestion. It is their vacation too. 

Edited by Boz575
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

While I am sure I will cruise Royal again, of the seven cruises I have been on since the restart, 3 have been on other lines (Hal, Celebrity, and Princess). 

Said your Oasis booking will be your last RCI booking, now you are saying you will book with them again.  Appears to be a contradiction.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

As in “I cannot believe people not wearing shorts are still cruising”.

So my response was simply I can't believe people are asking this question, but I don't understand your answer.  I was just on a cruise, and the super majority of people were wearing long pants and "nicer" clothing at dinner.  I personally change into long pants or jeans for the evening, and at least a polo shirt, or button down shirt.  I live in Florida.  It is hot daily.  I wear long pants all day long most days at work.  If I go out in the evening, it usually means I will wear long pants.  The tropics do not mean anything.  I'm not judging what you want to wear, but last week, very few people were in shirts and baseball caps around me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

So my response was simply I can't believe people are asking this question, but I don't understand your answer.  I was just on a cruise, and the super majority of people were wearing long pants and "nicer" clothing at dinner.  I personally change into long pants or jeans for the evening, and at least a polo shirt, or button down shirt.  I live in Florida.  It is hot daily.  I wear long pants all day long most days at work.  If I go out in the evening, it usually means I will wear long pants.  The tropics do not mean anything.  I'm not judging what you want to wear, but last week, very few people were in shirts and baseball caps around me. 

My comment was an ironical way of saying the same matter what you delivered. I’m also wearing a proper attire whenever it’s needed, requested, or suggested.  It’s so funny to see lately people in tuxedos, shorts, and even swimming attire in ships’ elevators between 5:30-7 pm).  I always smile recollecting such a picture in my memory.

Edited by kirtihk

5 hours ago, Boz575 said:

I’m failing to see the connection to this thread. Was it the pants that got them into the Ivy’s?

No, but they can post such a claim, true or not, and swear that it's the truth.  Like a Holiday Inn Express commercial.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d be more worried about how one would sit at these upside down tables, let alone how much leg they’d show in shorts.  😂

That's the perspective the non-existent dress code fanatics take, looking under all the tables for potential violations to the imaginary code.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Of course not.  However when a cruise line or restaurant has a dress code for dinner, lets respect it.  You don’t have to wear a tux, unless you want to, but long pants— not a big deal. Wear shorts from breakfast and lunch!

+1 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

We used to cruise with Princess and HAL, and Celebrity more. Prior to 2016 we only cruised 5 times with RCI… we were still exploring.  But now we cruise multiple times a year and prefer to avoid flying. So it’s mostly from Northeast. Royal offers the best combination of ships and we are Diamond Plus. We are staying 🙂 

I also fell in love with Boleros. 

Since restart we sailed once on Celebrity Edge since it was the first ship sailing out of US in 2021! Other 11 were with Royal. We will probably sail with Celebrity occasionally from Bayonne or Boston.

Once again, it’s both funny and sad that people put so much of their enjoyment in how OTHER people look. And don’t tell me it doesn’t, else you would not be complaining about it here. 

You want to pretend you are wealthy, go for it. I would rather dress how I want- shorts, slacks, suit, whatever. Given how we cruise now, luggage space is a lot more important than worrying about what someone else thinks about what I am wearing. 

If you really think I’m lazy, good o you. I’m glad I can make you think so highly of yourself. 

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mugtech said:
3 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Said your Oasis booking will be your last RCI booking, now you are saying you will book with them again.  Appears to be a contradiction.

Not a contradiction. I'm not the one who said the Oasis booking will be my last. I do not have an Oasis booking. I was just pointing out the other lines I have been trying that match up quite well with Royal's product.

27 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Once again, it’s both funny and sad that people put so much of their enjoyment in how OTHER people look. And don’t tell me it doesn’t, else you would not be complaining about it here. 

You want to pretend you are wealthy, go for it. I would rather dress how I want- shorts, slacks, suit, whatever. Given how we cruise now, luggage space is a lot more important than worrying about what someone else thinks about what I am wearing. 

If you really think I’m lazy, good o you. I’m glad I can make you think so highly of yourself. 

Think of it this way… when you chose neighborhood to live or resort to spend your vacation does it matter for you who are your neighbors? Do you want to live in trailer park? You can have a nice house, but around you will be that.

I guess numbers matter. Several people won’t cannot spoil your vacation… but if you particularly sit right next to a person with hairy legs in crocs … person in baseball hat in MDR even one person will matter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Think of it this way… when you chose neighborhood to live or resort to spend your vacation does it matter for you who are your neighbors? Do you want to live in trailer park? You can have a nice house, but around you will be that.

I guess numbers matter. Several people won’t cannot spoil your vacation… but if you particularly sit right next to a person with hairy legs in crocs … person in baseball hat in MDR even one person will matter. 

I have absolutely no idea what shoes the person who sits beside me is wearing or whether or not they have hairy legs as I am not going to lift their tablecloth to check.  I do not concern myself with others unless they put their hairy legs up on my table.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

Are you twisting words on purpose? Nobody asks to wear what people were wearing in 1970. If you don’t remember what people were wearing in Love Boat I suggest rewatching it. 

If you are too lazy I will remind you. They wore formal clothes to MDR in that. 
Not torn jeans or regular pants (slacks) have nothing to do with formal or even business casual dress code. 

Thank god no one is wearing what was worn in the 70s!   

Edited by topnole