Shorts in the dinning room

11 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

I know I will get slammed for this but here goes from me!!!

Yes, anything goes and that's why our Oasis sailing this summer (which was booked specifically to cruise with Family) will be our last RCI sailing. Our current Diamond status is no longer an incentive for us to book with them and their apparent current "anything goes in so many areas as long as we fill the ships" policies. 

Everyone is different.  I much prefer casual attire on vacation and have zero problem if people wear flip flops and shorts.  Doesn’t impact my experience one bit.   To each their own and obviously there are cruise lines that cater to your preferences which is great.  

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Yes, anything goes and that's why our Oasis sailing this summer (which was booked specifically to cruise with Family) will be our last RCI sailing. Our current Diamond status is no longer an incentive for us to book with them and their apparent current "anything goes in so many areas as long as we fill the ships" policies. 

Finally, some movement to get the prices lower. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Everyone is different.  I much prefer casual attire on vacation and have zero problem if people wear flip flops and shorts.  Doesn’t impact my experience one bit.   To each their own and obviously there are cruise lines that cater to your preferences which is great.  

I'm with ya 100%.  I'm a casual person, as casual as they come.  After 20+ years of the Army, getting dressed up in my Class As (the Green suit with all the regalia) I've dedicated myself to not ever wearing a suit again unless specific/special circumstances/occasions like a wedding of funeral arise.  Eating a meal on a ship is not one of those specific/special circumstances/occasions, for sure.  On the other hand, I enjoy seeing those that do put on their best "Sunday-go-to-meet'in" clothes LOL.  And my under or over-cooked Lobster doesn't taste differently, no matter how other people are dressed.  I guess some folks are happier sailing on a cruise line like Silversea and be as stuffy as they want to be.  But, to be honest, they can do that on RCCL, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

People wearing shorts to dinner is enough to make you stop sailing? Unless you go-to one of the very high end lines, you'll see the same thing. Msc,carnival,celebrity, princess....all allow shorts at dinner

• Like 5

On 6/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, ETski said:

We are bringing two teenage grandsons on a cruise this summer. Since the boys don't have a lot of dress clothes would they be able to wear nice shorts to the dinningroom? 

Teenage boys should wear pants.  If you go to Target get then each a couple of pairs- Unless 5 and 8 pants would be the better option.  I also have teenaged grandsons and they understand that they should wear pants in the evening.  Shorts fine all day.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

It's always funny when people post the "Shorts are welcomed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch" and then just assume that means they aren't allowed at dinner.

When right below that on the "dress code" page it says:

"Main Dining Room/Specialty Dining Venues

Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

If shorts aren't allowed at dinner, it would be so easy for them to just add "and shorts" to "tank tops" and be done with it.  

It's very easy to read your own bias into the absence of words.  Words mean things.  If shorts weren't allowed at dinner in the MDR, they'd say shorts aren't allowed at dinner in the MDR.

Counterpoint:  If shorts are welcomed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, why wouldn't they include dinner if they are welcomed then too?

• Like 2

Yes, you'll see men wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner; however, they will be in the minority ... cruises have become more casual, but most men will wear nice jeans or khakis to dinner (with polos or collared shirts).  Do talk to your grandsons about the difference between nice, presentable shorts vs. athletic shorts.  

I'd also say this is an opportunity to talk to them about dressing for the occasion.  They're approaching adulthood, and that lesson could be valuable to them.  Boys don't always "catch on" to social norms.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Counterpoint:  If shorts are welcomed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, why wouldn't they include dinner if they are welcomed then too?

Even though that wasn't addressed to me, I'll chime in.  

I'd say that nowhere does it say that shorts are welcome for any meal.  Also, nowhere does it say that shorts are prohibited from any meal, at least in the "Dress Code FAQ".  The only mention of having to be formal is at the Chef's Table and I'm not too sure about that, either.  If you look at the very first line of the FAQ, it says that the guidance for what "Formal", "Smart Casual", or "Casual" is, is only a "suggestion". I'd submit that there are short pants suits that are formal suits.  But, I know that shorts are allowed in the MDR on Formal nights as my Army buddy wears shorts to every venue no matter formal night or not.  Never been a problem.  But, nobody stood at the entrance and come over to welcome his shorts.  

https://www.amazon.com/MYS-Button-3-Piece-Business-Wedding/dp/B07V2CK7R1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=short+suits+for+men&sr=8-2

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Teenage boys should wear pants.  If you go to Target get then each a couple of pairs- Unless 5 and 8 pants would be the better option.  I also have teenaged grandsons and they understand that they should wear pants in the evening.  Shorts fine all day.

that is your opinion, I am glad I am not your grandson.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, topnole said:

It is not Cunard so there is no mandatory evening dress code in all venues. I get that. What I do not get is on the ship with various venues from buffet and pizzeria, Cafe Promenade etc to MDR if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR? They have plenty venues where it is completely fine to be in shorts and any type of shoes. It is not like it is MDR or being hungry.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is not Cunard so there is no mandatory evening dress code in all venues. I get that. What I do not get is on the ship with various venues from buffet and pizzeria, Cafe Promenade etc to MDR if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR? They have plenty venues where it is completely fine to be in shorts and any type of shoes. It is not like it is MDR or being hungry.

It is completely fine to wear shorts in the dining room.  It's completely fine to wear a tux on Tropical Night. It's completely fine to wear dark clothes on White Night.

I shudder to think how many cruises have been ruined by the lax enforcement of all of those suggested dress codes.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Not sure where you are from, but in hot weather environments like Florida, people wear shorts to dinner in fine dining restaurants all the time.  It’s totally normal other than winter months on cold days.  Why would the Caribbean be different?  Plus, a lot of peoples like to dress in casual attire when on vacation in warm environments.   I don’t get why this bothers people.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I’m sure your grandsons are thrilled to be treated like they’re being raised in 1923 instead of 2023. Good luck with that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I’m sure your grandsons are thrilled to be treated like they’re being raised in 1923 instead of 2023. Good luck with that.

What? 1923? We are talking about regular casual pants including not torn jeans, not tuxedo or suit parts. In 2023 people still wear pants. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Counter-counter point:  Exactly my point!  Royal does not care one bit whether passengers wear shorts at dinner in the MDR, so they make bland “policies” that people interpret however they want.  

And in the end, it matters not.  Because people wear shorts at dinner and the only people who complain are the few CC posters who think we still live in a society that should dress like they’re attending a baseball game in the 1920’s.

IMG_4010.thumb.jpeg.18814c71326f6d2b67b7ca520df0a171.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Counter-counter point:  Exactly my point!  Royal does not care one bit whether passengers wear shorts at dinner in the MDR, so they make bland “policies” that people interpret however they want.  

And in the end, it matters not.  Because people wear shorts at dinner and the only people who complain are the few CC posters who think we still live in a society that should dress like they’re attending a baseball game in the 1920’s.

IMG_4010.thumb.jpeg.18814c71326f6d2b67b7ca520df0a171.jpeg

This is a clear exaggeration.

In a reality most people have good understanding which clothes are appropriate for which venue. Nobody is demanding very strict standards at that. 
Not in this topic anyway 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

Fancy dress up is not what the contemporary cruise wants. Royal is still stuck with the idea of formal nights. They don’t appreciate that they are not a luxury cruise line. Formal nights and fixed time dining need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

This was formal night on our Wonder of the Seas cruise. Note all of the tuxes. 
IMG_6089.png.29a1be6296cbe0502774e782876290bb.png 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tatka said:

On your next cruise ask them. 🙄Then post back how receptive they were to your question. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tatka said:

if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR? They have plenty venues where it is completely fine to be in shorts and any type of shoes. It is not like it is MDR or being hungry.

Because it's not the 1970s Love Boat era anymore and what you wear doesn't impact how your food tastes.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Because it's not the 1970s Love Boat era anymore and what you wear doesn't impact how your food tastes.

Are you twisting words on purpose? Nobody asks to wear what people were wearing in 1970. If you don’t remember what people were wearing in Love Boat I suggest rewatching it. 

If you are too lazy I will remind you. They wore formal clothes to MDR in that. 
Not torn jeans or regular pants (slacks) have nothing to do with formal or even business casual dress code. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

On your next cruise ask them. 🙄Then post back how receptive they were to your question. 

Why? 
And this is why Royal Caribbean crew isn’t doing it too. Who wants confrontation?

I am thinking that NCL which I like way less than RCI does this better. They have smaller MDR where people who don’t wish to wear pants dine. However they don’t allow people in shorts in large MDR. Everyone is happy. 🙂