How offensive is it to call the ship a boat?

NewCruiser256

Yes....

Ship, vessel, Ocean Liner, Cargo Ship....proper terms.

Boats......sailboat, row boat, many call Disney ships boats.

Even a tender is not A Boat..

Also many call ships referred as She's...

But a large vessel is a ship...

• Like 1

IMO: if YOU are paying the fare, call it what you like.

That said, the reality remains that there is a generally accepted difference between a “ship” and a “boat.” In the most general terms, “you can put a boat on a ship but not a ship on a boat.” Of course, there’s the sole traditional exception in that military submarines are commonly referred to as boats.

Why is the distinction between “ship” and “boat” important? 

There are several possible reasons why someone might “correct” you. The easiest is that some folks like knowing stuff that you don’t and want you to know it too. C’est la vie.

Another, somewhat more significant reason is that mariners have their own language describing all sorts of items/actions and a practiced mix of understandable specificity and tradition helps to keep communication clear which, in turn, often contributes to maintaining safety and efficacy.

A perfect example is the use of the terms “port” and “starboard.” Beyond the historical origin of words like “starboard,” think about how, in an emergency radio communication to the Coast Guard, citing a landmark as on our “right” is far less accurate than stating it is on our “starboard” side.

Similarly, “lines” are specific types of “rope.”

The list goes on…. including “ship” (big) vs “boat” (small).

And, finally, IMO, if you call a cruise ship a “boat,” it suggests to me that you may not understand other terms that are far more important for your safety. And that’s why, when you first step on a stranger’s boat (particularly a sailboat), among the first words it’s skipper may say to you is “please don’t touch anything unless I tell you to.” 

• Like 2

It's always good to know the nautical lingo but if you are a newbie and use an incorrect term I may politely and humorously correct you.  Even though I spent half my life in the Navy I can't imagine "going ballistic" over something so menial.

Some folks just look for things to get upset and offended about.

• Like 5

Technically, it's a ship. A boat is what attached to the sides that you hope to never need to use (outside as a tender).

So yes, you'll get a ribbing, but I wouldn't expect anyone to go ballistic. Unless it's Celebrity's Captain Kate who has a name tag spelling out that it's a ship and not a boat 🙂

Not sure what constituted "going ballistic", but I can see where someone would correct you. Using that term to refer to a ship demonstrated your lack of knowledge. Ships officers and crew might construe the remark as ignorance, and dismiss it. Or, in context, might consider it disrespectful to the capabilities  of both the ship and its crew.

Edited by mom says
  • Thanks 1

OK, this is a true story. Many years ago DH was on the bridge as their large supply ship was readying to sail on an extended deployment. A last minute engine room problem suddenly occurred, which would result in a delayed sailing. The Captain got on the phone to TPTB and loudly proclaimed "Hey boss, my canoe- she no go". The entire bridge burst out laughing. 

So it's not a matter of a lack of sense of humour.

People make mistakes on word usage all the time.   Who cares.   It is not an obligation to point out the error unless some harm might happen.  Constantly doing that would actually be kind irritating.   

• Like 1

Ok....  so stupid question.

The ocean going "Ship" is a ship.

What do I call the River going vessel?  On the Douro River they are 80-90 passengers, other rivers they hold 180 passengers.  

Is this a ship or a boat?

You hear both - some call them "River Boats" but the industry refers to them as "Long Ships".

What are they?  

For me, it's not so much as "it's offensive" as much as it is context.  I'm Dyslexic so I rely on context to understand what the topic is.  Ships have always been larger vessels used to travel and transport goods on water, whereas boats are the smaller version.  

I understand both can be used interchangeably, but there's a huge difference as to what each has to offer so in order for me to keep up with the conversation, I have to know which one you're talking about.

As others have mentioned, "offensive" is subjective and relevant to the audience and context in which it is said.  IMO the more accurate descriptor would simply be "incorrect" based on the many nautical vessels defined in this thread.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Ok....  so stupid question.

The ocean going "Ship" is a ship.

What do I call the River going vessel?  On the Douro River they are 80-90 passengers, other rivers they hold 180 passengers.  

Is this a ship or a boat?

You hear both - some call them "River Boats" but the industry refers to them as "Long Ships".

What are they?  

I go with river boat but wish to not use long boat.

On 9/6/2023 at 10:33 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes....

Ship, vessel, Ocean Liner, Cargo Ship....proper terms.

Boats......sailboat, row boat, many call Disney ships boats.

Even a tender is not A Boat..

Also many call ships referred as She's...

But a large vessel is a ship...

As a FYI - submarines are also called boats. Have a great day.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, CDNPolar said:

Does "the industry" call them longships, as a river cruiser I've never heard that as a general term?

I've heard them called hotel-boats.

Longships is what Viking call a class of their river boats, but that is surely based on that cruise lines Scandinavian ownership. The historical Vikings travelled in longships, though their wooden boats were powered by sail and oar. (I can testify that today's Longships do not require their passengers to row 🙂)

Scenic call their river boats 'space-ships' but as their dimensions are the same, it's no more spacious than a longship and a longship is not longer than a space-ship.

54 minutes ago, pontac said:

Does "the industry" call them longships, as a river cruiser I've never heard that as a general term?

I've heard them called hotel-boats.

Longships is what Viking call a class of their river boats, but that is surely based on that cruise lines Scandinavian ownership. The historical Vikings travelled in longships, though their wooden boats were powered by sail and oar. (I can testify that today's Longships do not require their passengers to row 🙂)

Scenic call their river boats 'space-ships' but as their dimensions are the same, it's no more spacious than a longship and a longship is not longer than a space-ship.

I guess that because we are Viking loyal, we think that Longship is the industry name.

People who get so bent out of shape over something so trivial should probably seek prescription meds.  Seriously.  

For what it's worth, a ship meets the definition of a boat.  It's like square/rectangle.  All ships are boats but not all boats are ships.  

• Like 5