What happened to awesome cruise experience?

djdavis88

My husband said last night, while discussing a possible Alaska cruise next….“ I’m just about done with cruising, this Nickel  and diming us is just about over the top.” 
We have been cruising since 1995 and it has changed soooo much, that we are loosing our enthusiasm for cruising. It use to be so price inclusive and feeling pampered, and just a total awesome vacation. Not so much any more. It’s so sad and we don’t know what direction we are going to go in. 🥺.

Not really complaining, we realize the cruise industry lost a lot during the pandemic. I am just sad, really sad. Food has declined, service has declined, paying extra for things that formerly were all included has changed. It’s just not as fun as it was, the “wow” has dissipated. 
Is annyone else sad of what use to be, mourning what once was?

Edited by djdavis88
  • Like 1

"Familiarity breeds contempt"?

Perhaps you need to switch up to the premium or luxury lines. Like any other relationship when the lustre has faded, it may be time to move on to something new.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 10

I notice that the OP has cruised on Princess, which is, at best, a decent mass market line.  Not only has the industry changed since 1995, but it has also changed even more for those of us who have been cruising a lot longer (for us it goes back to the 70s). 

We have been cruising for about 50 years, have spent more than 1400 days on cruise ships (16 lines) and have never tired of cruising.  Why?  Because we continuously change cruise lines, ships, and itineraries (been to 6 continents).  For us, variety keeps it fresh and exciting.  

"Mom says" read my mind when she talked about trying the Premium lines (i.e. Azamara, Oceania, Viking, etc) or Luxury (Seaborn, Silverseas, Regent, Silverseas, etc).  Yes, they do cost more, but you sometimes do get what you pay for...or even more.  In fact, in the current market we think that the luxury lines are where one can find the best value.  It is possible to cruise on luxury lines for as little as $500 per person/day...and consider this is generally all-inclusive (no paying for drinks, tips, etc) and includes a suite.  The small ship luxury lines generally have 60-80 tons per passenger (space ratio) which is about double what you get on mass market lines.  Going to dinner on a ship with only 400 passengers (eating in 3 different dining venue) is much different than being on a ship with over 3000.  On those luxury ships you can walk into a show at the last minute and find plenty of seats.  If you are at a tender port there are no long lines, no tender tickets, etc.

Hank

• Like 2

I said to my husband c2009 I was done when RCL wanted me to pay for an espresso.  I said it was a coffee, they said it was a special drink.  In 2011 we did our first Seabourn and I’ve never signed for a an espresso, champagne, or anything since.  Yes we pay more up front, but after reading CC posts I am more than happy with the decision.  

• Like 3

I’m not as experienced as many of you. My first cruise was in 1991 on Costa. I don’t think they offered drink packages then- or maybe we didn’t know to get one. But the drinks were very pricey. There were not specialty restaurants as I recall and the food was excellent. There was a midnight Buffett every night too. But the ship was horrible, nothing worked right. We were supposed to have the honeymoon package with all these extras we never got. 
Our next cruise was 2000 on RC. There were all the same extra cost there are now. And I remember feeling nickel and dimed then too. 
I choose to see the positives in this. If the cruise lines included all those specialty things, drinks, etc in all tickets sold the cost of cruising would be too high for many people. I like that if I’m not a big drinker or don’t care about “special” restaurants, my cruise costs less. I still have the option to get a more expensive package that does include those things. Or, as others have said, I can go on a higher end line. 
And by the way, NCL and Princess (I think) both offered packages you could buy for unlimited Starbucks. So if that is important, you can have it! 
We will be cruising Celebrity for the first time this fall. We got a zero proof drink package that said it includes specialty coffees. We will see. 

• Like 6

Maybe it's time to look at other vacations. I know that is what I would be doing if we were getting tired of cruising and the only answer was to switch to a premium cruise line. Fortunately the cruise is only the backdrop to spending time with family and friends for us, so it's not the main focus.

• Like 3

My analysis of this ongoing question leads me to the conclusion that the passengers, and their expectations, have changed more than the cruise lines have.  Changes by the cruise lines are, for the most part, reflecting pax demands.

For example, when we started cruising in 1990, all pax were assigned a dinner time and table. Dinner was leisurely.  Food and conversation were enjoyed.  There might be a small buffet at breakfast and lunch, but MDR provided a much nicer meal.

Now there is Anytime Dining.  A big buffet is always expected. There are many who loudly complain that MDR dinner took almost 50 minutes for their three courses.  I do agree that the quality of the food has declined to some extent, but more striking to me is the decline in the Experience: waiters have to rush to get food to the vocal ones, kitchen must have plates ready for instant pickup, many pax have a different waiter at every meal, less opportunity for a personalized meal. And did the dessert cart become extinct because it took too long?

As to nickel-and-diming, we've never had pressure to buy extras in the past, and we don't now.  I know the extras are available, but we don't feel any need to partake.  I really can't think of anything that was included before that is missing now, apart from the camaraderie and the overall Experience.  Honestly, I would not take a cruise in which beverage package, excursions, and wi-fi were included. I would not use them, and I believe they do cheapen the experience overall.

We still think a cruise is the most magical way to spend our leisure time. But we cruise to be on a ship at sea, so as long as we can see and feel the sea, we are happy.

• Like 6

There are many, many things in our world that will never be the same because of Covid.  While I am very sad for the things we lost I know that I can either keep wishing for the way things were OR I can accept what I cannot change and find the positive things in my life now.  

At my age I am well aware I don’t have a lot of years left to travel.  I still love cruising and will continue to do so as long as I can.

May you all look for glasses that are “half full and not half empty” and be happy you have a glass at all….

• Like 11

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

My analysis of this ongoing question leads me to the conclusion that the passengers, and their expectations, have changed more than the cruise lines have.  Changes by the cruise lines are, for the most part, reflecting pax demands.

For example, when we started cruising in 1990, all pax were assigned a dinner time and table. Dinner was leisurely.  Food and conversation were enjoyed.  There might be a small buffet at breakfast and lunch, but MDR provided a much nicer meal.

Now there is Anytime Dining.  A big buffet is always expected. There are many who loudly complain that MDR dinner took almost 50 minutes for their three courses.  I do agree that the quality of the food has declined to some extent, but more striking to me is the decline in the Experience: waiters have to rush to get food to the vocal ones, kitchen must have plates ready for instant pickup, many pax have a different waiter at every meal, less opportunity for a personalized meal. And did the dessert cart become extinct because it took too long?

As to nickel-and-diming, we've never had pressure to buy extras in the past, and we don't now.  I know the extras are available, but we don't feel any need to partake.  I really can't think of anything that was included before that is missing now, apart from the camaraderie and the overall Experience.  Honestly, I would not take a cruise in which beverage package, excursions, and wi-fi were included. I would not use them, and I believe they do cheapen the experience overall.

We still think a cruise is the most magical way to spend our leisure time. But we cruise to be on a ship at sea, so as long as we can see and feel the sea, we are happy.

Couldn’t agree more! We love meeting other travelers. We also like forming a relationship with our waiters. But we appreciate the freedom to eat when we want and not have to dress for dinner if we feel like shorts and tees. 
money if the reasons I like Cruise Critic roll calls is the opportunity to connect with others, maybe arrange to have dinner together, etc. just because the cruise doesn’t set you up with other diners doesn’t mean you can’t do it yourself. And you can always request the waiter you want. We have found the crew will do everything in their power to make your cruise exactly what you want. So if you long for the old way of cruising, just ask for it!

• Like 2

The original question? What happened to the awesome cruise experience? Well, from this person's point of view, I just took one😃 Recently returned from a wonderful 12 night cruise out of Southampton ending in Copenhagen with many ports all around Ireland and Scotland. 

First time I had visited any of these places and LOVED IT😃

Now, was everything 100% perfect? No, of course not because nothing in life is perfect. BUT overall it was truly AWESOME experience. Met some absolutely wonderful people, saw some old friends on board the ship too.

As for being sad? Nope, not here......not about the cruise. My trip home made me mad, not sad........

as I was stuck at JFK because my flight home was cancelled and it took 4 tries for Delta to get me a flight😠 now that was a real PITA............but the cruise itself? EXCELLENT😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

I said to my husband c2009 I was done when RCL wanted me to pay for an espresso.  I said it was a coffee, they said it was a special drink.  In 2011 we did our first Seabourn and I’ve never signed for a an espresso, champagne, or anything since.  Yes we pay more up front, but after reading CC posts I am more than happy with the decision.  

This can't be a serious post. I want free things so badly that I will jump from RCL to Seabourn to get them. I'm sure there are other things you enjoy about the Seabourn product, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the experience. The free espresso being a breaking point is just absurd though. The obsession over free things time and time again has shown that it really has less to do about actually saving money vs a perception of "unlimited" or "included." 

The best part about cruising now vs 1995 is the amount of choice has increased tenfold. Almost any type of experience you are looking for, is available on one of the lines. For some strange reason, people think they can select any line they want, and expect that it caters to their needs. Especially mass-market lines that serve the needs of the vast majority of cruisers.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This can't be a serious post. I want free things so badly that I will jump from RCL to Seabourn to get them. I'm sure there are other things you enjoy about the Seabourn product, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the experience. The free espresso being a breaking point is just absurd though. The obsession over free things time and time again has shown that it really has less to do about actually saving money vs a perception of "unlimited" or "included." 

The best part about cruising now vs 1995 is the amount of choice has increased tenfold. Almost any type of experience you are looking for, is available on one of the lines. For some strange reason, people think they can select any line they want, and expect that it caters to their needs. Especially mass-market lines that serve the needs of the vast majority of cruisers.

It's not the "free" things that enhance the cruise experience.  It's the service and the feeling that you are living at a more luxurious level in which "specialty" drinks, service charges, all beverages, and alternative dining choices are how you live.  Being able to sit at the pool and have a steward ask if you would like a beverage without asking for your card.  Being able to move freely around the uncrowded ship - easy access at the theater or few queues at port calls.  More space, more personal service, more luxury.  And many times, the cost isn't really higher.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, djdavis88 said:

My husband said last night, while discussing a possible Alaska cruise next….“ I’m just about done with cruising, this Nickel  and diming us is just about over the top.” 
We have been cruising since 1995 and it has changed soooo much, that we are loosing our enthusiasm for cruising. It use to be so price inclusive and feeling pampered, and just a total awesome vacation. Not so much any more. It’s so sad and we don’t know what direction we are going to go in. 🥺.

Not really complaining, we realize the cruise industry lost a lot during the pandemic. I am just sad, really sad. Food has declined, service has declined, paying extra for things that formerly were all included has changed. It’s just not as fun as it was, the “wow” has dissipated. 
Is annyone else sad of what use to be, mourning what once was?

I don't know if I would say I'm mourning over what used to be, but I agree it has changed and, yeah, some of the wow is gone.  For me, dining has had the biggest impact.  In the good old days specialty restnts weren't needed because the included dining experience was terrific.  Now it is kind of average. However, I'm not ready to throw in the towel.  I still find great value with cruises to interesting places and still enjoy our family group cruises.  

I understand what others say about upgrading to a luxury line to get the desired experience.   We are currently doing more international land trips than cruises.  Faced with spending 3 to 5 times more for a cruise, our land travel will increase.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

The original question? What happened to the awesome cruise experience? Well, from this person's point of view, I just took one😃 Recently returned from a wonderful 12 night cruise out of Southampton ending in Copenhagen with many ports all around Ireland and Scotland. 

First time I had visited any of these places and LOVED IT😃

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, Lois.  I missed your posts around these parts.  🙂

Since I expect everyone to scatter to the next post about the good ol' days and how everything since then has gone to you-know-where in a handbasket, I'll post about what I hope/expect will be awesome about the next six cruises I have booked.  This could be a little long; the two of you left have been warned:

• November 2023, Carnival Magic, Western Caribbean - I think it will be great to get back on Carnival again.  I've tried multiple times to do so, but they didn't work out.  Also, this will be my first stop in Belize since the restart.  I don't know what I'm going to do there (maybe nothing), but it's nice to have the option.
  • January 2024, Carnival Dream, Panama Canal (almost) - I really like the longer sailings on Carnival, and this will be my first one in a while.  I get to visit Limon, CR and Falmouth, Jamaica for the first time in several years.  Again, dunno what, if anything, I'm going to do, but it's nice to be able to choose.  We'll be docking in Colon, Panama, which is as close as we officially get to the Canal.  Excursions are offered to do a partial transit in a smaller ship, which I may or may not do.
  • February 2024, Mariner OTS, Southern Caribbean - The first of my music charter cruises.  This one is The 80s Cruise.  I love the music of the 80s, and some of the artists I love most will be onboard.  This will be an awesome experience.  I'm calling it now!
  • March 2024, Celebrity Summit, Southern Caribbean - Another music charter, this time covering 70s music.  Lots of good music to be had here.  And as a special bonus, I get to finally meet one of my favorite CC posters!
  • April 2024, Norwegian Pearl, Nassau - The last music charter of this group, this very short 3-nighter has Michael McDonald and Patti LaBelle and some other stuff.  I'm sure it'll keep me runnin'. 😁  This will be my first trip on NCL, which I'm excited to try out.
  • October 2024, Ovation OTS, Hawaii to Australia - This is a BUCKET LIST extravaganza - to French Polynesia, New Zealand, and Australia on a transpacific cruise ticks off four boxes!  This will be my longest cruise ever, with the most sea days ever.  This is also my first voyage on a Q-class ship.  We'll have to see how it all adds up.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

It's not the "free" things that enhance the cruise experience.  It's the service and the feeling that you are living at a more luxurious level in which "specialty" drinks, service charges, all beverages, and alternative dining choices are how you live.  Being able to sit at the pool and have a steward ask if you would like a beverage without asking for your card.  Being able to move freely around the uncrowded ship - easy access at the theater or few queues at port calls.  More space, more personal service, more luxury.  And many times, the cost isn't really higher.

Then again, you and I sail for very different reasons.  If I want poolside I go visit my sister, I sail to travel 

on topic, we certainly enjoyed all of our cruises beginning in the 1980s.  I likely have changed more than they have. I used to fly the red eye special on Southwest but now I prefer Business class.  We used to cruise for the nightlife and partying, usually not even making it to the beach as we were sleeping daytime😉.  Yes, yes, food was cheaper, labor was cheaper, luxury more affordable but I never found it necessary.  I can afford wonderful meals and great entertainment but I don’t necessarily look for that on a ship.  For anything under $300 a day I think people have unrealistic expectations.  A quality hotel alone costs that much easily.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

The "feeling" that you are getting something is every marketers dream. Again, I can completely understand if you like the overall product better. What you will not sell me on is being handed a coffee or a drink in any capacity is worth thousands of dollars extra. 

I love a drink as much as the next person. However, I believe beverages are the most overrated part of vacation. For many, they are the center of the universe. Booking only certain lines because of how many you can get for "free" or how "free" of a package they include. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Honolulu, thanks so much for the kind words🙂sounds like you have LOTS of cruises booked!

Thank you for being such a wonderful poster (and person) and keeping us solo travelers in line!

Six cruises may seem like a lot (it's the most I've ever had booked at the same time), but I'm sure it's not anywhere close to the most among this group.

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thank you for being such a wonderful poster (and person) and keeping us solo travelers in line!

Six cruises may seem like a lot (it's the most I've ever had booked at the same time), but I'm sure it's not anywhere close to the most among this group.

6 cruises is a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1