No trays!!!!

Dennis Lindsey

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We were asked not to do this as it makes the legs of the chair more vulnerable to being run into by those who aren't watching where they're going.

Interesting as I've seen it done many times....not necessary for us since one of us stays with the table.

Thanks for your answer.

When we started cruising (70s) trays were very common at Lido buffets on most lines.  Then, they gradually disappeared,  Why?  We have been told it was for a variety of reasons.  1.  Cleaning all those trays uses a lot of water and energy (which equals money).  2.  Studies have shown that eliminating trays reduces food waste.  and 3.  Studies have also shown that folks consume less, when they do not have trays!   All this is good for cruise lines.

Hank

• Like 1

If it’s really busy I sometimes ask the people next to my table if they would keep an eye out for a

minute. I make sure they are mid meal and not about to leave. 
on one cruise I asked another solo diner and we ended up having breakfast together. Most people are happy to help. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

I'm not sure I understand the sanitation argument. Is it because people touch it and then slide it around? Do plates hover?

Make no mistake, it is a food waste measure. People are more likely to grab more food when they can carry it more easily.

The United States Public Health Service (USPH) determined quite some time ago that most ship-based dishwash machines were not able to properly / completely sanitize these trays due to their size. This contributed to increased numbers of mass market cruise passengers infected with Norovirus and Coronavirus due to cross contamination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2023 at 12:21 PM, sanger727 said:

The problem with making multiple trips is if you are by yourself. When the buffet is busy, If you leave a used plate on a table; it will be gone and the table will be taken by the time you get back. As long as you have someone else with you, you can take turns.  But I get what the OP is saying, I often have breakfast on my own because I'm an early riser.

Can you not take a book or something and leave it on your table or ask a neighbour to say the table is being used? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

Can you not take a book or something and leave it on your table or ask a neighbour to say the table is being used? 

This presumes that you have neighbors or that your neighbors are not also getting up themselves.

I could bring a book but then I'd have to carry it around with me or return to the room. 

You 

49 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This presumes that you have neighbors or that your neighbors are not also getting up themselves.

I could bring a book but then I'd have to carry it around with me or return to the room. 

If you bring a book someone would just steal your book or move it to another table.  You could bring a foldable sign that says that the table is taken so do not sit there.  When (not if but when) someone ignores the sign and says that they did not see the really big red sign call someone from senior buffet staff over and have the malefactors kicked out of the buffet.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You 

If you bring a book someone would just steal your book or move it to another table.  You could bring a foldable sign that says that the table is taken so do not sit there.  When (not if but when) someone ignores the sign and says that they did not see the really big red sign call someone from senior buffet staff over and have the malefactors kicked out of the buffet.

DON

We had our drinks and napkins/utensils and my jacket at a table once and someone still sat there. When I walked up and said we were sitting there he said well now "I am" I asked didn't you see our stuff and he said " I thought it was set up by the staff". "Including my jacket" I said he just ignored us !!! 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We had our drinks and napkins/utensils and my jacket at a table once and someone still sat there. When I walked up and said we were sitting there he said well now "I am" I asked didn't you see our stuff and he said " I thought it was set up by the staff". "Including my jacket" I said he just ignored us !!! 

Did you go to "staff" who he said set up the table and ask them to kick him off the table.  I would have.  

DON

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, Dennis Lindsey said:

Just a suggestion. But something has to give navigating the buffet lines now that most ships no longer provide trays.
You quickly run out of hands, plate space, pockets . Say you're walking down the serving  line and decide to get a carton of milk. Your plate is 80% full, because you embarrassed yourself at the mashed potato serving tray, in your other hand a cup of soup. Carp! At this point you're pretty much screwed.  Look for an empty table plop your plate down. Back to the serving line and try to reach in to grab a carton of milk. Hopefully without some knucklehead screaming: "The end of line is that way!" The buffet food is barely warm as it is. So by the time you gathered all the nuts and berries you want and if a staffer has not taking your plate away, Sit and enjoy cold food.

So chill

Try sailing on lines with more imaginative fellow passengers - and try to adjust your eating habits to the line you do happen to sail.

First rule is to grab your drinks and silverware FIRST, grab a table and then go back for food!!

For some reason people tend to fill their plates full and then wander around the buffet looking for a seat…….so much easier the other way!!

• Like 1

I’m a bit surprised. I haven’t cruised as much as some here. But I don’t think I have ever had a problem with another passenger at the buffet or anywhere else. The worst I’ve seen is people letting kids play in the Jacuzzi or just not listening to instructions when given. Making it obvious we are at the buffet has always worked. I find other passengers are, for the most part, in a good mood and happy to work with others. I can’t imagine having to go to staff to complain about another passenger. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. But I find, in general, when you walk around with a smile on your face, people respond in kind and interactions are a lot more pleasant and cooperative. But if someone takes your spot, maybe the best thing is to pick up your stuff and find another table. Whose vacation do you ruin by letting those things bother you? 

Edited by Szt
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, donaldsc said:

You 

DON

I always have a book and leave it with my drink to return to get food as a solo .  Never had an issue with a missing book

• Like 1

This is the bugbear of the single cruiser.  Also unless you call the  wait staff over who are doing coffee etc, they ignore you.  “Oh I thought you were waiting for someone else, then I was coming over to you.”

Still manage to keep well fed, and still solo cruising, just n observation.

• Like 1

I’m glad they are gone. Watching people walk to their table with a giant tray filled with plates piled high with food was about as unappetizing as it gets. Now people have to put some thought into it.

Win/win all the way around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Great cruise lines do not offer trays in buffets.

These items are reserved for schools, factory canteens, prisons, and cheapatoni cruise ships.

Then you will be pleased to know that trays aren't offered on two mainstream lines (at least). Guess that makes them "great"🤣.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Then you will be pleased to know that trays aren't offered on two mainstream lines (at least). Guess that makes them "great"🤣.

Only time I'm even aware of this is on these forums. I haven't seen trays on any ship for a long time.  Don't know and don't care to speculate why.  Trays or no trays, who cares.  Though, one must wonder what they did with all those trays.  😀 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:16 AM, Szt said:

I’m a bit surprised. I haven’t cruised as much as some here. But I don’t think I have ever had a problem with another passenger at the buffet or anywhere else. The worst I’ve seen is people letting kids play in the Jacuzzi or just not listening to instructions when given. Making it obvious we are at the buffet has always worked. I find other passengers are, for the most part, in a good mood and happy to work with others. I can’t imagine having to go to staff to complain about another passenger. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. But I find, in general, when you walk around with a smile on your face, people respond in kind and interactions are a lot more pleasant and cooperative. But if someone takes your spot, maybe the best thing is to pick up your stuff and find another table. Whose vacation do you ruin by letting those things bother you? 

As we always say 'take a good time with you and that's what you'll have'. Works for us!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

As we always say 'take a good time with you and that's what you'll have'. Works for us!

And the opposite is also true---if you go in looking for what you can complain about, you will find things wrong and not have as good a time as you should have.

• Like 1