Does anyone have any insights as to why the television choices are always so bad?

CruisinShips

I'm not talking about the on demand movies...I am talking about the limited choices of channels and the randomness of the shows they do show on those channels.  And with all due respect to those who say "because they don't want you in your cabins"...I don't buy that.

You would think with all of the streaming services and content out there today, someone would come up with a way to improve it over the same old limitations we have been seeing since my first cruise many years ago.

I know this probably isn't a big deal to many cruisers...but it's just one of those things I wonder about. 😉 Anyone have any insights? 

• Like 2

I'm sure it has to do with cost. They have to use satellite for television and any streaming services. They wouldn't want television streaming options to interfere with people who purchase the wifi packages. I'm sure they have negotiated the lowest possible price for television satellite service. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Bridge cam or the routing map channel for me…these may be one and the same.  The ocean depth on the info always fascinates me.  

I watch the routing map channel each night before bed to see where we are located.  One morning they had a contest to see who could guess how far we had traveled so far on the cruise.  I think I was within 10 miles - won a deck of Celebrity cards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I’m not in my cabin much and don’t usually turn on the tv. But, if I was sick, I would like the option to stream Netflix since the tv offerings aren’t very good. 

This brings up that anyone Quarantined to a Stateroom during the worst of Covid must have gone buggy watching the few shows on TV?

• Like 2

I read a live review posted by @Jim_Iain earlier this year where many details were given about streaming and rigging up the TV through maybe a prime stick? (I don't necessarily know the jargon) but it was most helpful.  Between a vpn and one of those sticks, we had the capability of streaming...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

38 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I wonder why people who don’t have an interest in Tv (or my question) feel compelled to say they don’t like to watch tv lol. 

In my case -  Yea I have TV,  but 95% of what we watch is recorded in our Virtual VCR and many of the show have the commercials stripped from them and the others you can fast forward though. 

Even the news I usually have recorded and watch whenever I get up and or when away on a cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I'm not talking about the on demand movies...I am talking about the limited choices of channels and the randomness of the shows they do show on those channels.  And with all due respect to those who say "because they don't want you in your cabins"...I don't buy that.

You would think with all of the streaming services and content out there today, someone would come up with a way to improve it over the same old limitations we have been seeing since my first cruise many years ago.

I know this probably isn't a big deal to many cruisers...but it's just one of those things I wonder about. 😉 Anyone have any insights? 

I agree 100% with you and the technology is available it is Celebrity chooses not to use it.  

We took our first Non-Celebrity Cruise last month on Ponant (a French Small Ship Line).   On the TV they had about 200 movies and 60+ stations on the in-room TV's.    The had everything from French, Spanish, German, UK and US news as well as live news from Australia, China and Japan.    All free. They do not use streaming services and provide them all via Satellite.    That is also available to Celebrity but it is a cost constraint on what they choose to subscribe to.

The main reason I use a streaming stick is I enjoy the news and can not stomach watching FOX, MSNBC, CNBC etc because they are so polarized.     If nothing available we may watch Sky News or BBC News but they lack much U.S. local news.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If nothing available we may watch Sky News or BBC News but they lack much U.S. local news.

You write that as if that is a bad thing to watch BBC , I think of as a plus 😁

In 2019 there was a Canada Federal election, we were on a TA , it almost impossible to find the results 

1 hour ago, ymncruise said:

I’m not in my cabin much and don’t usually turn on the tv. But, if I was sick, I would like the option to stream Netflix since the tv offerings aren’t very good. 

There is that option.  I get the premium WiFi and stream netflix on my iPad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

I wonder why people who don’t have an interest in Tv (or my question) feel compelled to say they don’t like to watch tv lol. 

Because they enjoy showing how much better they are then the peons who watch tv.  Yet they post on cruise critic...🤔

Edited to add, yes the channels are abysmal.  I like to watch the navigation map and the news.  Sometimes a movie may be on.  We use our tablets to watch downloaded series or a movie at night or during an afternoon sea day nap.  

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Erm,  they said they don't watch much tv while on the ship. I haven't seen anyone say they never watch TV period. And i doubt that the presumtuous and judgemental opinion given by the previous poster has anything to do with the price of tea in China.

Pretty sure the lack of variety is a budgetary constraint. We've seen better and worse on different lines. Maybe X wants to push more people to premium wifi. Princess may show a lot of Love Boat reruns, but at least they've got a good supply of movies. 

But I think more people today are interested in streaming on their own devices when it comes to news and video entertainment.  On our last cruise,  I spent much more time on my tablet with my local news app,  YouTube  and Netflix than I did with the cabin TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I read a live review posted by @Jim_Iain earlier this year where many details were given about streaming and rigging up the TV through maybe a prime stick? (I don't necessarily know the jargon) but it was most helpful.  Between a vpn and one of those sticks, we had the capability of streaming...

@Jim_Iain, do you by any chance remember this post and can you link it? I'm hoping to use my Roku stick to stream Netflix, Max, and YouTubeTV in the Mediterranean, and any tips would be most welcome!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I agree about the available channels.  If you had to pick a few, what channels/networks would you like included?  

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree about the available channels.  If you had to pick a few, what channels/networks would you like included?  

Good question.  American ESPN (sans cricket, rugby and soccer), TBS, Travel Channel, Food Network, TNT, even Bravo or AMC…and not on a loop lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Good question.  American ESPN (sans cricket, rugby and soccer), TBS, Travel Channel, Food Network, TNT, even Bravo or AMC…and not on a loop lol.

Good choices (except Travel channel which isn't about travel).   Comedy & History channels might be good too. 

PS: Hate the loop! 

Edited by ldubs

4 hours ago, D. B. said:

This brings up that anyone Quarantined to a Stateroom during the worst of Covid must have gone buggy watching the few shows on TV?

We were quarantined due to Covid.   We got free on demand.   There wasn’t anything we wanted to watch.   Same with cable at home with the premium channels.  There are very few movie we want to watch.  We have them because of the tier we need to watch the regular channel we like. 

Most of the time I was on the balcony enjoying the sea while  reading on my IPad using the WiFi.    It wasn’t bad as we were in a suite, got butler service, got any drinks we wanted and etc.   The main problem was we lost our  taste.  Some things didn’t taste like they should have.   One bonus was we really didn’t have to get dressed to go for our meals.   We got room service and just lounged around in very comfortable clothing.  

I can’t stand watching the news channels.  I sit in my man cave watching old reruns while my wife watches the idiotic morning shows, and news.    

There aren’t very any if any new movies being made today that we want to see. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched