Medical Histories To be Provided For Manicure and Pedicure in particular!! Think about this!!!

SusieAV8R

I just had an a very unfortunate, unacceptable but informative interaction with the Spa on a  Celebrity ship. I had a manicure yesterday. It was satisfactory and I was required to provide nothing further than my name and stateroom number.  Today, I went to the spa with DH for a pedicure I had booked for him.  He was provided a tablet with detailed questions about his 3 YEARS detailed medical history. For a pedicure??!!!  The X spas on X appear to be under legal authority of the Bahamas.  (Which means, Americans, HIPPA protections probably do NOT apply. I have no personal knowledge of non-American country medical protections.)  So ask yourselves:  WHO ultimately has access to my medical history once I enter it into this X SPA tablet/on the web???   (BTW:  Apparently I was supposed to have completed this detailed questionnaire yesterday for my simple manicure....I did not....I would have cancelled my manicure in a heartbeat had the technician required it!!!)  Sharing information to the unknowing.....

• Like 3

Very interesting. I've had manicures and pedicures in the spa on Celebrity ships and never was asked for this type of info. At this point I can't recall where we were in the Caribbean. I was planning to have a spa visit on my upcoming cruise, but I may instead visit my local salon before my cruise. Thanks for posting your experience!

• Like 1

I had to fill our medical history for a facial in the spring.  Really didn’t think much about it.  It was only the 2nd time in 60+ cruises I used the spa, but had a lot of OBC to burn.

Every cruise I've used the spa I had a questionnaire to fill out, I just provided no real health info. I mean at most I may say I have lower back issues for a massage but that's kinda important but nothing else.

• Like 2

i just provide the basics but essential info... hopefully no one is hacking into tbe spa records... more afraid of credit card info going astray..

35 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Very interesting. I've had manicures and pedicures in the spa on Celebrity ships and never was asked for this type of info. At this point I can't recall where we were in the Caribbean. I was planning to have a spa visit on my upcoming cruise, but I may instead visit my local salon before my cruise. Thanks for posting your experience!

Kathynorth, why not do both (spa visit at home and then onboard)?   And give us your reaction.  I am onboard right now on M-class (in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico) but my research says the Spas on X, and some other ship brands, is that they are under Bahama law.  Now in an effort to be "fair", the explanation the Spa manager gave me was that this medical information was REQUIRED IN CASE one of us later had a massage or similar service.  My issue was, neither DH nor I do onboard Spa massages, face "lifts", etc.   (I am booking a pedicure for DH with the salon I use  as soon as we arrive home..........and he will NOT be asked for his detailed medical history for the past 3 years.)  

42 minutes ago, 39august said:

I have been presented with this quesionaire  a few times.   I gave no medication info and filled out very little of the rest. No problem. 

DH refused to complete the questionnaire (regarding medications, medical procedures etc. within last 3 years) and was advised that he could not have a pedicure without completing it in full.  (This occurred at approximately 3 pm today EST).  When I had a conversation with the Spa supervisor (about 20 minutes after this incident), she told me I should have been required to complete that questionnaire before I had my manicure yesterday afternoon.  I just wanted to do a Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware) 😃

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

While I suppose X could sell ones health info, it’s mainly to protect them against liability

As an attorney, I have a different perspective on this subject.  But the great thing is?  We all have choices!! 😄

• Like 2

I have had to complete a pretty basic questionnaire every time I have had a pedicure on any ship in any part of the world.

Perhaps individual questionnaires could be formatted relevant to the different treatments?

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

As an attorney, I have a different perspective on this subject.  But the great thing is?  We all have choices!! 😄

I took a class in contract law in school.  It doesn’t make me think I’m required to answer every question someone asks me.

• Like 1

Geez, I'd be in trouble. I'm a collection of bits and pieces and my Dr Frankenstein has retired.  Maybe you know my new doctor, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz. My pal Dangerfield highly recommended him. 

• Haha 1

What is your perspective?  I haven’t used the spa services before and don’t think I ever will…lol

Objection sustained.  I would have the same reaction.  Thanks for posting.  I will make no statement (or spa appointments, lol).

40 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

What is your perspective?  I haven’t used the spa services before and don’t think I ever will…lol

If you give people information that is not required it can and will be misused.  When you start getting zillions of marketing emails for foot fungus or whatever your medical history is you will understand…

Posted (edited)

A pedicure is a medical procedure, no different than getting your teeth cleaned where you have give them your medical history 

My wife does pedicures  and has to keep a file on what was done on each client

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 2

Unless it is for a massage, when I note I have lower back pain, I just reply none or check the no boxes. I might say I use Advil as needed. That's it. They have never insisted that I was less than forthcoming. 

22 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A pedicure is a medical procedure, no different than getting your teeth cleaned where you have give them your medical history 

My wife does pedicures  and has to keep a file on what was done on each client

Does a manicurist need to know that I have cancer?  Or heart disease?  How is that relevant?

• Like 1

Headquartered in Nassau, Bahamas, OneSpaWorld is one of the largest health and wellness services companies in the world. OneSpaWorld’s distinguished spas offer guests a comprehensive suite of premium health, wellness, fitness and beauty services, treatments, and products currently onboard 163 cruise ships and at 70 destination resorts around the world. OneSpaWorld holds the leading market position within the fast-growing international leisure market and has been built upon its exceptional service standards, expansive global recruitment, training and logistics platforms, and a history of service and product innovation that has enhanced its guests’ personal care experiences while vacationing for over 50 years.

https://onespaworld.com/privacy-policy/

Your personal data will be shared with and processed by our affiliates and certain service providers as necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in this Privacy Policy, including:

• Other entities within our corporate group;
  • External third parties such as our insurers, service providers, IT and hosting service providers, legal and risk management advisers, and the cruise line on whose vessel you were provided with the service; and
  • Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this Privacy Policy.

4 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

I’m with you. I don’t do spa treatments on ships…ever… and definitely would not provide any medical info to spa personnel. 

• Like 1