LIVE!!! ICON OF THE SEAS INAUGURAL

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are so many great videos and pictures out there by others with a lot better phography skills than me that I probably won't post a lot.

Therefore a few that I will attempt though.  

On FB look fir cruise director Mitch.  A former cruise director who is now an account manager with Royal close to me  has done a bunch of great videos.

Not everyone does fb Ken. Appreciate anything you can show us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

When will the Cruise Critic master photographer @twangster sail on Icon?

1 hour ago, cruisinghawg said:

Yes, haven't heard from him in a while.

No Icon cruises booked right now.  I've been busy on another RCG brand.  Just had a phenomenal cruise to Antarctica on them and have booked a few more on that line.  

Turns out I'm more of small ship cruiser although I am sitting on Mariner right now and have two upcoming weekend getaways on Allure.  Beyond that I find myself looking at other lines for the price of admission on Icon.

I've said it before... if I'm paying luxury rates I'm going to sail a luxury line.   Putting my wallet behind that statement.

• Like 28

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

One in our group ordered the 32 Oz tomahawk and left only a bare bone.

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I can't imagine eating 32 oz of meat.

I can, lol, and well-played by him!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

No Icon cruises booked right now.  I've been busy on another RCG brand.  Just had a phenomenal cruise to Antarctica on them and have booked a few more on that line.  

Turns out I'm more of small ship cruiser although I am sitting on Mariner right now and have two upcoming weekend getaways on Allure.  Beyond that I find myself looking at other lines for the price of admission on Icon. 

I've said it before... if I'm paying luxury rates I'm going to sail a luxury line.   Putting my wallet behind that statement.

I'm fully with you on this Twangster.  Currently looking at Oceania and/or an Anarctica sailing.  We'll only sail Royal now for multi-generational family cruises.  Off to read your Antarctica thread.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Here's a video of Michael Bayley doing Crown's Edge.  It looks like there's a video camera on each harness.  Maybe a video is included for the $90??  Knowing Royal, it's probably an extra charge.

Rich people and their toys.  I'm not mad at him.  However, I bet he didn't pay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

A few random observations.

The new elevators are fantastic.  No more throngs of people pushing their way into each elevator then stopping at every floor.  The most stops I have made is 2.  Waiting an extra minute or two to get an elevator that then makes few stops is definitely a plus.

Windjammer is laid out like Wonder.  Very efficient, made to order omlettes at the very back, many miss thelis so it doesn't appear to be busy.

Bed configuration is yhe same as Oasis class with the cabin on the right side of a connecting pair having the bed by the balcony.  This ship does have the closer near the bed like Oasis and Allure to it is a tight squeeze with the bed by the bath so a definite preference for bed by the balcony on this class of ships. 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

$90 for a ropes course? That's insane. I know the economy is booming but there have to be better ways to burn money than that.

IMG_0606.thumb.jpeg.835b1663a7f15e879a87dbfbdb3427a2.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

image.png.eeae0aa0a3efdd3b31ee8e23813f1846.png

I can't... but I certainly enjoy trying.

You know how the saying goes, If at first you can't, then try and try again.

Nice to know that is an option, but we would probably take that for 2.

dp

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The new elevators are fantastic.  No more throngs of people pushing their way into each elevator then stopping at every floor.  The most stops I have made is 2.  Waiting an extra minute or two to get an elevator that then makes few stops is definitely a plus.

Windjammer is laid out like Wonder.  Very efficient, made to order omlettes at the very back, many miss thelis so it doesn't appear to be busy.

Bed configuration is yhe same as Oasis class with the cabin on the right side of a connecting pair having the bed by the balcony.  This ship does have the closer near the bed like Oasis and Allure to it is a tight squeeze with the bed by the bath so a definite preference for bed by the balcony on this class of ships. 

If you happen to see a balcony cabin with the sofa set up for the third person, can you please snap a picture? Curious to see how the sofas open.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just received!  Woohoo!

Oh wait... I'm still not booked on Icon

image.thumb.jpeg.e36d37f6e1de6d0547de1c2c98a626be.jpeg

New ship.  Same IT.

That would be awesome if they invited you.  Maybe someone at corporate has noticed your talent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Do you know if the Infinite Balcony Central Park balconies follow the same alternating pattern as the Oasis/Oceanview balcony cabins?  Also, do you have access to take a picture of these cabins?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are so many great videos and pictures out there by others with a lot better phography skills than me that I probably won't post a lot.

Therefore a few that I will attempt though.  

On FB look fir cruise director Mitch A former cruise director who is now an account manager with Royal close to me  has done a bunch of great videos.

Matt of RCI Blog has a 1+ hour report on Icon.  Just about every aspect is covered.  $200 pp for Empire Supper Club.  Wow.  I was totally overwhelmed with what Icon has to offer.  The Pearl, the Aquadome are amazing as is the extra wide Promenade. Your own personal impressions would be very welcome in here.

This ship truly seems to be a destination in itself.  Any Caribbean beach break pales in comparison.  I just don't care for the colors. Maybe I have to be there to appreciate it?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

This ship truly seems to be a destination in itself.  Any Caribbean beach break pales in comparison. 

When people lately heard I am cruising again they ask, where are you going?  I had to think about it.  I told them it's more about the ship.  We have been to St Thomas and Cococay enough that we plan to stay on the ship.  St. Kitts has been on our itinerary before but got canceled so we plan to get off there.

• Like 8