Why so many Burger Kings and KFCs in the Carribean and so few McDonalds?

Z'Loth

One thing that I noticed in my two cruises to the Carribean in 2018 and 2024 is that it felt like every island had a Burger King and a KFC, and most had a Subway, but when it came to the golden arches, only Martinique had one. I didn't visit any of them (my rule is to avoid chain restaurants if they exist in my home area), but still find it curious. 

There are certainly more McDs than the one you happened to see. Google it. As for the small number - smaller population with lower average incomes may be one reason. Or they could be located away from the cruise port. Or maybe the locals just have a better taste in food.

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

There are certainly more McDs than the one you happened to see. Google it. As for the small number - smaller population with lower average incomes may be one reason. Or they could be located away from the cruise port. Or maybe the locals just have a better taste in food.

I would expect the American oriented fast food places would be in the tourist areas, not in areas not frequented by tourists, particularly if the fast food places don't fit the local economy well.

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Could it be the cost of the franchise?  Don't know, just tossing it out there.  

Possibly.  With McD's, as I understand it, Latin America and the Caribbean franchises are held by a single large franchise owner, who also happens to be the largest franchise owner with McD's.  How he has elected to manage the logistics of these locations is likely driven by local economies, raw material import requirements, etc.  The info about this owner, as @mom says suggests, would be available via google.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most eaten protein in the Caribbean is chicken and fish so that probably would explain the popularity of KFC.

Somewhere I read that Bajans prefer the flame grilled flavour of Burger King compared to McDonalds pan grilled flavour. BBQ meat is very popular overall in the Caribbean so perhaps Burger King is just a better match to their palette. 

24 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

perhaps Burger King is just a better match to their palette. 

Also, Burger King just plain tastes better (which isn’t saying much when the competition s McDonalds - whose only decent item is their fries).

On 1/23/2024 at 7:45 PM, mom says said:

Or maybe the locals just have a better taste in food.

120 countries around the world have McD's, so the thought that they just exist for non-locals is a bit off. I've been to McD's in probably 50-60 countries, I think it's fun to see what they offer. 

McDs did not spread around the world to serve unadventuresome North American tourists who are intimidated by the prospect of local food or want a "taste from home." Without local patrons McDs wouldn't survive.

In 40 years of extensive traveling I have eaten at a McDs outside of North America once. Late night arrival at a hotel in a very dodgy industrial neighborhood in the UK. My choice was risking being stabbed or eating a Big Mac and I still wonder whether I made the right choice. Otherwise I won't set foot in them or any other U.S. franchise when on the road. There are so many better options. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

Why would you eat at those places when traveling?  

As the original poster, I stated "I didn't visit any of them (my rule is to avoid chain restaurants if they exist in my home area), but still find it curious." If I'm traveling to another region, I prefer to avoid chain restaurants that I can patronize locally, and am attracted to the local restaurants. Having said that, I can still observe some of the local chain restaurants and make observations. 

5 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

One explanation might not be the food but the toilets. Those who eat at McDs when overseas will sometimes defend their choice by saying they are often the only places with accessible and acceptable washroom facilities. I've never found a huge challenge answering the call of nature when traveling but will acknowledge having occasionally visited some quite gruesome toilets along the way. 

and sometimes, even when travelling, you just want something simple and quick..

I cant remember if Ive ever got Mcdonalds when travelling in another country - but it is possible.

10 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

One reason would be to try their local variations. Like in Japan you can get matcha sundaes, taro pies in China, banana pies in Brazil, biryani in India, pasta soup in Hong Kong, kale soup in Portugal, bulgogi burgers in South Korea, McFalafels around the Middle East, shrimp burger in Cyprus and Greece, McSmazak in Czechia, McCurrywurst in Germany, they use rye buns on their burgers in Finland, alcohol is served in French and Serbian McDonalds, arepas in Colombia, local sauces like aji in Bolivia and Chile, the list goes on. Sometimes it can be fun to see how international franchises adjust to the local area. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

One reason would be to try their local variations. Like in Japan you can get matcha sundaes, taro pies in China, banana pies in Brazil, biryani in India, pasta soup in Hong Kong, kale soup in Portugal, bulgogi burgers in South Korea, McFalafels around the Middle East, shrimp burger in Cyprus and Greece, McSmazak in Czechia, McCurrywurst in Germany, they use rye buns on their burgers in Finland, alcohol is served in French and Serbian McDonalds, arepas in Colombia, local sauces like aji in Bolivia and Chile, the list goes on. Sometimes it can be fun to see how international franchises adjust to the local area. 

My interests are more in eating the real thing from genuine local vendors instead of whatever pale imitation an American fast-food giant decides to slap together to pander to local tastes.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, K32682 said:

My interests are more in eating the real thing from genuine local vendors instead of whatever pale imitation an American fast-food giant decides to slap together to pander to local tastes.  

It might not be your thing but it is definitely a phenomenon. There are travellers who make it their mission to try McDonalds at least once in every country they visit. Funnily I have heard the same critiques levelled at cruise ship food😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It might not be your thing but it is definitely a phenomenon. There are travellers who make it their mission to try McDonalds at least once in every country they visit. Funnily I have heard the same critiques levelled at cruise ship food😂

I have encountered cruisers who scurry back to the boat from shore excursions because they are appalled at the prospect of having to eat local food.

Edited by K32682

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I have encountered cruisers who scurry back to the boat from shore excursions because they are appalled at the prospect of having to eat local food.

Very true.  For us, one of the delights of travel is to sample food all around the world.  DW and I fall into that category of folks who live to eat:).  Even when we have overnighted on ships, around the world, we note that many cruisers only eat onboard.  

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

After an exhaustive 14-day cruise across the Mediterranean, preceded by 4 days in Venice, where we did all we could and ate locally as much as humanly possible, we hit a McD's in our final stop of Barcelona.  Honestly, it was heavenly.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 6:17 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Possibly.  With McD's, as I understand it, Latin America and the Caribbean franchises are held by a single large franchise owner, who also happens to be the largest franchise owner with McD's.  How he has elected to manage the logistics of these locations is likely driven by local economies, raw material import requirements, etc.  The info about this owner, as @mom says suggests, would be available via google.

Somewhat OT but in Thailand there are 5000 7-Elevens and they're owned by one person/company. Some are right across the street from another.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:45 AM, Zach1213 said:

120 countries around the world have McD's, so the thought that they just exist for non-locals is a bit off. I've been to McD's in probably 50-60 countries, I think it's fun to see what they offer. 

We used to have a place in Rio and can't remember but one time going for fast food. But one day we had an appt and needed to have a quick lunch so hit KFC. What we remember is that the food was served on real plate and flatware and glasses. And they bused the table. We were pretty amazed 🙂

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

After an exhaustive 14-day cruise across the Mediterranean, preceded by 4 days in Venice, where we did all we could and ate locally as much as humanly possible, we hit a McD's in our final stop of Barcelona.  Honestly, it was heavenly.  🙂

Scream bloody murder!!!!!!!!!! In my favorite food city in the world I would never, ever eat fast food in Barcelona. Talk about "to each their own.' LOL.