What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

With a U.S. presidential election this year, I've noticed more interest in politics when having dinner with family/friends. 

What are your thoughts on having a respectful conversation about politics in the MDR?  

Edited by thermal

6 minutes ago, thermal said:

With a U.S. presidential election this year, I've noticed more interest in politics when having dinner with family/friends. 

What are your thoughts on having a respectful conversation about politics in the MDR?  

With people you know, and are probably traveling with?

Or with "other passengers you've just met on the cruise"?

If the latter, then... hard NO.

And not only "at this time".  Not at any time.

GC

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

With people you know, and are probably traveling with?

Or with "other passengers you've just met on the cruise"?

If the latter, then... hard NO.

And not only "at this time".  Not at any time.

GC

I'm as "hard left" as one can get and agree with 100%. And if someone tries to do it I will so "no" firmly. If that doesn't work, I'll leave the table.

• Like 7

I once had a conversation about politics with a stranger on a cruise who was more opposite to me in my politics and we were able to keep it respectful. Overall we both gave each other something to think about. So I do believe it is possible but I think it comes down to whether both parties are willing to listen as much as be heard. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 4

I think the only way it’s ok is if you know you are with like-minded people, and you are able to keep the volume at a level other tables can’t hear you. Nowadays, people get judged by such stupid reasons as being from a particular state. 

With as ugly of a year this is going to be, cruises should be a safe space to get away from all the nonsense. 

• Like 7

As a Canadian, and not ready even here to expose my political leanings, I will say that I have American cousins and friends that have split our family and friendships apart over the past number of years because some of them cannot have a sensible and respectable conversation about their politics.  They have a viewpoint and that is the only viewpoint acceptable.

Not that there are not Canadians that will fight their viewpoint to the death, but we as Canadians have not become so polarized over our politics that we cannot have respectful conversations, with family, friends, and neighbours.

I also feel that Americans (this is just my opinion and observation and not intended to offend) are more ready to speak politics and take a particular side than any other culture that I come into contact with globally.  More like the weather is an ice breaker, so now has political talk become an ice breaker.  (again, this is my opinion and observation and not intended to offend)

We love Viking Cruises and we know that 70+ percent of the guests on Viking will be American.  We love to meet others on our cruises.

We NEVER bring up politics when we meet people.  We never bring up religion when we meet people.  To me these are two subjects that are good to remain under the covers, especially in a new friendship or a casual encounter that will last for a dinner or two.

If we meet people that want to talk politics, we suffer through that encounter and then distance ourselves from them.  Plain and simple.

So, my answer is NO, dinner conversation should not include politics.  We are on a cruise to a place we have never been before, lets discuss culture, food, what we saw today, what we are going to see tomorrow, where we have been in the past, etc.  There is so much more to discuss.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No discussion of politics, religion or how much paid for the cruise with people we don't know.  Since they are strangers we keep the discussion such as it is (we aren't very chatty) to cruising.  Now if we are sailing with any/all of my 3 siblings and spouses, as we frequently do, anything goes!

• Like 1

Sadly, people tend to be subjective rather than objective in discussing matters such as politics and religion — if one is capable of discussing something without trying to support his preferences, almost anything can be discussed.  Put briefly: discuss government rather than politics, or theology rather than religion —- keep your own views (or prejudices) off the table.

• Like 2

I'm not an American. When on a cruise I am on vacation. I have little or no interest in being subjected to a tedious discussion on the American political situation. Please keep them off the dinner table.

I'd also appreciate if you didn't discuss race, gun control, religion, reproductive rights, immigration and other subjects on which Americans often strongly. I feel strongly about them too and might be tempted to square off. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I'm not an American. When on a cruise I am on vacation. I have little or no interest in being subjected to a tedious discussion on the American political situation. Please keep them off the dinner table.

And conversely -- as an American who takes cruises on some lines with a high percentage of English-speaking non-Americans -- I have no interest in being asked about the American political situation. I'm on vacation; I'm not there to be your "token American with the answers".

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I'd also appreciate if you didn't discuss race, gun control, religion, reproductive rights, immigration and other subjects on which Americans often strongly. I feel strongly about them too and might be tempted to square off. 

We *are* from the USA.

And I cannot even begin to imagine wanting to discuss "any of the above listed topics" with strangers or other vague acquaintances on a cruise over dinner.  Or ANY other time, either!

GC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Put briefly: discuss government rather than politics, or theology rather than religion —- keep your own views (or prejudices) off the table.

Wow, thats some challenge - separating religion from theology and politics from government. 

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I once had a conversation about politics with a stranger on a cruise who was more opposite to me in my politics and we were able to keep it respectful. Overall we both gave each other something to think about. So I do believe it is possible but I think it comes down to whether both parties are willing to listen as much as be heard. 

I went through that for just too long. Too far apart for me is just tiring and doesn't accomplish. And, hey, I'm on vacay!

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

We *are* from the USA.

And I cannot even begin to imagine wanting to discuss "any of the above listed topics" with strangers or other vague acquaintances on a cruise over dinner.  Or ANY other time, either!

GC

....but you would be surprised by how many try it. Both from the US and from other countries. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thermal said:

I don't even ask "What do you do" so no, I an not engaging in any political, religious or even "which way does the toilet paper roll go?" discussions with strangers at dinner.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Wow, thats some challenge - separating religion from theology and politics from government. 

It takes a bit of self-discipline:  keeping your mind on the topic, and not what you personally feel about the topic. 

Of course, when you are seated with a group of strangers the odds are that one or more of them will lack such self-discipline.

I recall a professor in a Government course - who managed for the whole semester to avoid disclosing his personal political views.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

It is that temptation to “square off”, which so many seem unable to control,  that makes political discussion with strangers in advisable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Agree With You....

When we go cruising or a land based vacation, we enjoy each other's company. But with conversation, we try to keep news from off the ship stand off the ship unless it pertains to the vacation.

We like to talk about the entertainment, the shore excursions we anticipate or have gone on and of course the cuisines we try.

Yes, there are times when off the ship news comes on, we will monitor it and keep up the latest. But talk a little about it. Self control is so important to keep the atmosphere at the table or other locations.

Our may goal is to remember why we all wanted to go together and enjoy talking about it afterwards.

We have unfortunately expected those that can interfere on a nearby table and does not even realize how there conversation bother others.   

• Like 1

Last political discussion I had while traveling was with a couple of guys on a train in Italy.  They were more interested in how things work as opposed to taking sides. 

I actually can't think why I would ever bring up politics with people I had just met at the dinner table on a cruise ship.  I mean, it isn't something that I yearn to talk about with new acquaintances.  I guess there are those who like to proudly display their political leaning at every opportunity.  America is very polarized these days.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We have unfortunately expected those that can interfere on a nearby table and does not even realize how there conversation bother others.   

Any loud argument at a nearby table would be bothersome.  Otherwise, I wouldn't pay any attention.  

• Like 1