Unidentified Princess charges

Bridget2

I disembarked from a southern Caribbean cruise over a week ago.  In addition to my onboard account charge, Princess has placed 4 other charges on my checking account.  These were charged on the final 2 days of the cruise, which were sea days.  The amounts are the following:

$118.28

$198

$21.24/possibly a bar chg.

$74.34/possibly shuttle, although the rep who booked us said shuttle chg. was included in price of the cruise 

Except for just a few drinks, we spent nothing on those days and the "folio" seems complete for the other days.  Does anyone have any idea what these charges could be?  I can't get any info from Princess; spent literally hours on the phone and no one there knows anything, was told to email which I did last week no response so far.  I am beyond frustrated.

15 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

I disembarked from a southern Caribbean cruise over a week ago.  In addition to my onboard account charge, Princess has placed 4 other charges on my checking account.  These were charged on the final 2 days of the cruise, which were sea days.  The amounts are the following:

$118.28

$198

$74.34/possibly shuttle, although the rep who booked us said shuttle chg. was included in price of the cruise 

Except for just a few drinks, we spent nothing on those days and the "folio" seems complete for the other days.  Does anyone have any idea what these charges could be?  I can't get any info from Princess; spent literally hours on the phone and no one there knows anything, was told to email which I did last week no response so far.  I am beyond frustrated.

I am a bit confused as I have never seen Princess charge to one’s checking account.  Perhaps they are charges on your credit card?  
Did you perhaps book another cruise onboard  .. the $99 deposit pp may explain the $198 charge.  
Were these charges on your post cruise summary of onboard charges they sent via email?  If so, it should outline was these charges are for.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

$118.28

$198

Sad you disembarked before challenging these.  Calling a customer service rep will likely only raise your blood pressure.

Sorting via email usually a couple weeks to a month+.

Without the coding from your bill doubt anyone could tell where they came.

The possible shuttle charge - your rep CVP or a TA? - shuttles are not included in any cruise fare I have ever seen.  No guess on the rest.

I would dispute the charges with your bank (never heard of direct billing to a bank - debit card?) or credit card company.  Stating the facts clearly and succinctly.  Give booking number, dates, ship name.  State the total and amounts of charges you are challenging.  Detail the dates of calls and hopefully names of who you spoke to (at least number of calls and their response).

The other charges could be restaurants or likely the spa.

Good luck.  Hopefully a lesson learned for the future.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Thanks 1

Did you use a debit card ?  That would be the only way it might come from a checking account or maybe PayPal   Most use credit cards. 
Amare the see pending ?  They may be holds and not actual charges

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

$118.28

$198

I have found that emailing these types of post-cruise charge concerns to customer support at Princess can be fruitless.   I saw where someone suggested leaving a message on either Instagram or X (twitter).  I was skeptical, but tried.  I received an almost instant reply saying they were sending it to the appropriate department and my problem was resolved within 12 hours.  

@Bridget2 - I too have never heard of Princess accessing your checking account.  Did you receive a final version of your folio via email?  It is usually sent anywhere from disembarkation day to 3 or 4 days later.  In one case a year ago, when I hadn't received it within a week I sent an email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com noting my folio number, ship and cruise dates.  They responded within a week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridget2 said:

$118.28

$198

Your checking account?? How did they get access to that?  

Did you use a Debit Card attached to your checking account?

Are these pending charges or have they cleared your account?

Do you have a copy of your folio from aboard?

These are holds placed on your method of payment to assure the money is there. At the end of the cruise, a one time charge will occur for the total. The holds will disappear after some time. If you used a debit card, this money will not be available until after the holds clear. This is why it is not recommended to use a debit card for your cruise.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

These are holds placed on your method of payment to assure the money is there. At the end of the cruise, a one time charge will occur for the total. The holds will disappear after some time. If you used a debit card, this money will not be available until after the holds clear. This is why it is not recommended to use a debit card for your cruise.

Extreme example ...

I secure my account/folio with a debit card attached to a checking account that has about $2K in it ... that limits my 'immediate' liability to that in case of a medical emergency on board charged to my folio ... 

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Extreme example ...

I secure my account/folio with a debit card attached to a checking account that has about $2K in it ... that limits my 'immediate' liability to that in case of a medical emergency on board charged to my folio ... 

I set up my credit card with a specific limit - usually $500 - they text me for EVERY foreign purchase.  Over $500 - requires me to authorize the purchase by clicking on the text. Or I can click and say "not mine".

Use this as scammers usually try a charge under $10 first

Posted (edited)

Just got off the Enchanted Princess 4/13/2024. Bogus charges on my account that I used with a credit card. Looked at folio the morning we got off the ship and saw bogus airline baggage fee charge. Went to guest services 3 times and no help from them.

We have free luggage on Delta and Princess would not accept that. Delta said Princess fault.

So went  to credit card company and disputed the charge and they will remove it. Also spent more time on the phone with Princess this morning and supposedly they will send me a copy of my folio with all the charges.  May get this by Xmas. Do not believe what Princess says anytime ever. 

Also a $100.00 charge but that probably was their way of verifying that my credit card was good. And other charges that I want verified since Princess cannot be tusted.

And not giving you a printed copy of your folio under your door the morning you get off the ship is awful and no one can see or print their folio on the ship once you get off their floting tub. 

Edited by vettprincess
more info

Just now, vettprincess said:

Just got off the Enchanted Princess 4/13/2024. Bogus charges on my account that I used with a credit card. Looked at folio the morning we got off the ship and saw bogus airline baggage fee charge. Went to guest services 3 times and no help from them.

We have free luggage on Delta and Princess would not accept that. Delta said Princess fault.

So went  to credit card company and disputed the charge and they will remove it. Also spent more time on the phone with Princess this morning and supposedly they will send me a copy of my folio with all the charges.  May get this by Xmas. Do not believe what Princess says anytime ever. 

Also a $100.00 charge but that probably was their way of verifying that my credit card was good. And other charges that I want verified since Princess cannot be tusted.

And not giving you a printed copy of your folio under your door the morning you get off the ship is awful and no one can see or print their folio on the ship once you get off their floting tub. 

On any cruise you will usually have numerous holds on your card. This enables Princess to make sure you have enough credit to pay your bill at the end of  the cruise

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Extreme example ...

I’m confused. What happens if a medical emergency on board requires medical care over $2000?  They cut you off mid-IV?  Take back the flowers they sent you?  

The possibility of medical emergences while traveling is the only reason we don’t fight to get our ridiculously high credit limits reduced. It’s nice to know  that we can fund nearly any immediate medical care and seek reimbursement later. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, memoak said:

On any cruise you will usually have numerous holds on your card. This enables Princess to make sure you have enough credit to pay your bill at the end of  the cruise

And that practice is not limited to cruise lines.  Hotels do the same thing.

2 hours ago, vettprincess said:

I do prefer getting the statement the night before disembarking. Last 4 cruises I have gone to Guest Services and also use the machine near GS to print my own folio.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am a bit confused as I have never seen Princess charge to one’s checking account.  Perhaps they are charges on your credit card?  
Did you perhaps book another cruise onboard  .. the $99 deposit pp may explain the $198 charge.  
Were these charges on your post cruise summary of onboard charges they sent via email?  If so, it should outline was these charges are for.  

I use my debit card for cruising, so they have my checking account number.  The charges I'm concerned about were separate from the folio and not on the folio.  We've never been to the spa and had one specialty dining, which I was billed for before the cruise.

Thanks to 1025cruise who also enlightened me!

I do hate that we don't get the statement before we leave the ship anymore.  I wonder if it's because there's less disputes if passengers don't see it for a week.  I wouldn't mind having it emailed if it was done promptly.

We did have a lovely cruise.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

Thanks to 1025cruise who also enlightened me!

I do hate that we don't get the statement before we leave the ship anymore.  I wonder if it's because there's less disputes if passengers don't see it for a week.  I wouldn't mind having it emailed if it was done promptly.

We did have a lovely cruise.  

@Bridget2 You can print one at a kiosk, ask GS to print one or better yet screen print the folio on the app,  Why do you need crew running around on the final night delivering paper? Not to mention there are no longer mail boxes outside the door to put it in.

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

One of our favorite features of the app is the ability to check our folio any time, without having to go to Guest Services. We check it frequently during cruises and take a screen shot on the last day. On our last cruise we got our folio emailed very promptly as well. 

• Like 4

On 4/16/2024 at 3:35 PM, KarmaCruisers said:

Mine always comes via email the day after I disembark.

Mine used to, not on my last cruise. Because mine didn't come the next day, I had to request it a couple days after disembarkation. Then, I had to wait around two weeks. When I received it, it looked nothing like the "simple" folio one is accustomed to receive while on ship, or those you received the next day in your inbox, w/o asking for it.

What I got the "all you can eat, baby!" version of the folio. Anything and everything that may have been a charge if I didn't have the package was listed there. In the least user-customer friendly but the most accounting-friendly format possible (two or more entries for each transaction, debited, then credited etc.)

I was also charged for complimentary items that I had noticed on my folio while on the ship and had asked about, however believed Princess when I was told "don't worry, they will dissappear from your folio and you will never get charged for them anyway". Should have known better, this one is on me.

Over a month ago, I asked for those charges to be credited back, has not heard anything back yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, SmooshSmash said:

Mine used to, not on my last cruise. Because mine didn't come the next day, I had to request it a couple days after disembarkation. Then, I had to wait around two weeks. When I received it, it looked nothing like the "simple" folio one is accustomed to receive while on ship, or those you received the next day in your inbox, w/o asking for it.

What I got the "all you can eat, baby!" version of the folio. Anything and everything that may have been a charge if I didn't have the package was listed there. In the least user-customer friendly but the most accounting-friendly format possible (two or more entries for each transaction, debited, then credited etc.)

I was also charged for complimentary items that I had noticed on my folio while on the ship and had asked about, however believed Princess when I was told "don't worry, they will dissappear from your folio and you will never get charged for them anyway". Should have known better, this one is on me.

Over a month ago, I asked for those charges to be credited back, has not heard anything back yet. 

Update. I got the simple, usual version of the folio today. Almost two months after disembarkation! Still no news on the refund though.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, SmooshSmash said:

I was also charged for complimentary items that I had noticed on my folio while on the ship and had asked about, however believed Princess when I was told "don't worry, they will disappear from your folio and you will never get charged for them anyway". Should have known better, this one is on me.

Would you please tell us what these "complimentary items" might be that were on your folio?  Thank you.

• Like 1

Disembarked 26th March…still no sign of folio being sent by email…thank goodness I printed out folio half an hour prior to disembarkation…just in case !!! Received Credit Card bill yesterday and seems to show the same amount as the copy I printed on last day.

Usually receive email of folio, together with survey whilst waiting to disembark. …another ‘upgrade’ !!!!