Disembarkation at a port other than the planned destination

Tufor

I am considering a TA cruise in which NYC is the second-to-last destination (Miami is the last). I live 40 mins from NYC. Obviously preferable to get off there. I understand from my reading that disembarkation from a port other than the final destination is either impossible or costly if there is an emergency that requires you to get off board. Has anyone ever just left the ship at another port? Do they ask you when you leave why you have a bunch of luggage?

It’s totally dependent on the port and the cruise line.  If you give us the cruise line we may be able to give you more help.  Do you have any other US ports before NYC?  You will have to go through US immigration at the first US port stop and if NYC is the first, there should be no reason not to allow you to debark there.   BUt you have to ask your cruise  line for a deviation.  Have you talked with them?  EM

I think you are starting with an assumption that is incorrect.  Sometimes it's impossible or costly to disembark early.  That is usually an issue on a closed loop sailing when you want to get off in a different US port than the one you started in.  You should go through customs and immigration in NYC anyway (first US port). It may not be a big deal to disembark there. You would need to contact the cruise line to find out.

Yes, I imagine you would get some questions if you tried to disembark for just the day with all of your luggage. Rules for emergencies are different than planned disembarkation.  Also, the ship may be delayed if you just don't return. 

One big problem is that the luggage you are trying to disembark with will not be going through Customs, as they are not set up for screening luggage in that port.  So, the OP may find himself held up at Guest Services, being sent back there by the gangway security team, until Guest Services is notified that a Customs agent is present, and how much they are going to charge the OP for the Customs agent's cost.  While they cannot detain someone onboard (unless a crime has been committed), they can place an "innkeeper's lien" on the person, and retain the luggage until all costs are covered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tufor said:

I am considering a TA cruise in which NYC is the second-to-last destination (Miami is the last). I live 40 mins from NYC. Obviously preferable to get off there. I understand from my reading that disembarkation from a port other than the final destination is either impossible or costly if there is an emergency that requires you to get off board. Has anyone ever just left the ship at another port? Do they ask you when you leave why you have a bunch of luggage?

If there is no customs and immigration set up in NYC for debarking passengers you would be in violation of the law. You have to officially clear both. Also you could be inconveniencing the other passengers. They will be looking for you and would possibly delay the ship waiting for you not knowing you had departed. 

Don't  assume that it is impossible to arrange. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Don't  assume that it is impossible to arrange. 

But note the wording "to arrange".

That means contacting the cruise line well in advance so that IF it is possible, they have any necessary time to arrange for the customs/immigration officials to be there.

If they can do it, and those officials are not already planning to be on site (perhaps another ship is already *ending* an international cruise there, so they need to clear all the passengers of that ship??), then be prepared to pay for any fees to have those officials show up to process your arrival, IF it is possible.

Good luck!

If you were able to arrange it, perhaps you could post the details after you are home.

GC

• Like 1

My suggestion to the OP, is to talk to the cruise line and simply ask about an en route disembarkation.  Different cruise lines have different policies and a few even have an extra fee for en route disembarkations.  We have done it a few times (always in Europe) with no problem.  

I should mention that some lines actually have a form, for such a request and most will require any such request to be in writing.  If you do get a written approval, be sure to print a hard copy and take it on your cruise.  Early in the voyage, stop at Guest Relations to make them aware of your plans (and approval).

Hank

• Like 1

Tell the cruise line what your plans are and unless there is a reason that it can't happen it will happen. NYC is a major entry port. You won't have a problem. I departed a TA in Halifax instead of the final U.S. port without an issue or extra cost. 

On 9/9/2024 at 8:44 AM, Tufor said:

But that is the OP's question isn't it? "Has anyone ever just left the ship at another port? Do they ask you when you leave why you have a bunch of luggage?" Funny there are all kinda comments but no answer to the question yet.

"Yes, I tried once but cuz of this and that couldn't do it",

or "Yes, did it after doing xyz. Easy, peasy japanese!" 

I think OP is looking for comments like those.

29 minutes ago, SmooshSmash said:

But that is the OP's question isn't it? "Has anyone ever just left the ship at another port? Do they ask you when you leave why you have a bunch of luggage?" Funny there are all kinda comments but no answer to the question yet.

"Yes, I tried once but cuz of this and that couldn't do it",

or "Yes, did it after doing xyz. Easy, peasy japanese!" 

I think OP is looking for comments like those.

The OP will be waiting a long time looking for someone who intentionally left the ship with all of their luggage without notice to the cruise line. Not to say it never happens; but requesting permission is far more common.

• Like 1

Wouldn't they have to close out their cruise account.  If so wouldn't the ship people wonder why they are doing it in NYC instead of the final port.  I may be reading more into the post than the OP means but he is a 1st time poster and has not replied after 9 days.  He sort of sounds as if he as a "me first" attitude.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On 9/9/2024 at 10:44 AM, Tufor said:

Hello @Tufor and welcome to the Cruise Critic website & message boards! 

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you have posted! Please click here Cruise Critic Community for all our forum categories. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on one of our various forums, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Use the dark blue Start new topic button and word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry message to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention the cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your inquiry message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

Be sure to see if there is an existing Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your specific cruise line, ship and sail date. Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll CallFor more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

Use the Roll Call Finder Tool at the top of the ROLL CALLS forums to check to see if there is an existing Roll Call thread for your specific sail date. If not, feel free to start one by following the directions in How To: Create A New Roll Call. Especially how a Roll Call thread is to be titled. And don't worry about any responsibilities in starting a Cruise Critic Roll Call thread. Our Roll Calls belong to all members sailing that specific cruise; there is no designated leader or owner. It does not matter who started the thread. Our Roll Calls are for Cruise Critic members on the same cruise. They get to know one another online before their cruise so there will be all kinds of discussion in the Roll Call thread for their cruise!

If one already exists, click the Roll Call title to open the thread and read through the posts to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you. Then use the dark blue Reply to this topic button to post an introductory post about yourself. I feel sure your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you will welcome you with replies. For more information regarding posting on our boards, please click here: How to: Reply to a Topic / Quote / Multi-Quote 

The specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members may post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that may have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted share requests that may interest you. 

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads on the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. As with other forums on our boards, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are soooo happy to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

On 9/9/2024 at 8:44 AM, Tufor said:

TA cruise in which NYC is the second-to-last destination (Miami is the last). I live 40 mins from NYC. Obviously preferable to get off there. I understand from my reading that disembarkation from a port other than the final destination is either impossible or costly if there is an emergency that requires you to get off board. Has anyone ever just left the ship at another port? Do they ask you when you leave why you have a bunch of luggage?

i have seen people get off a few times on transatlantic cruises from RCCL going from the US to Europe.  The first was when a couple from Valencia got off in Barcelona as the final stop was in Rome.  The second time a couple got off in Ibiza where the final stop was in Barcelona.  The last was when people departed in La Havre when the final port was Southampton.  In all cases people left with their luggage and I know for a fact the Valencia couple wasn't charged anything extra to leave. 

Good luck and to get the definitive answer call the cruise line to understand their departure policies.

BTW - the customs point raised by @chengkp75 is an interesting one that I really didn't consider.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Thanks 1

Ask the cruise line.

If NYC is not your first US port the likelihood rises.  If it is the first US port there could be customs issues as noted in earlier responses.  If you simply leave without clearing and there are fines imposed they will pass on the bill to you.  Those fines can be hefty 

Edited by Mary229

Timely subject for us as Mrs Ldubs is toying with the idea of exiting the ship in Victoria as opposed to the terminal stop in Vancouver.  I will be happy to share if we get serious about it enough to check with the cruise line.  Right now, I think it more likely we will disembark Vancouver and backtrack to Victoria.  

• Thanks 1