No more tram service unless handicapped from ship on Cocoa Cay?

EllieinNJ

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

It would be very awkward to have to wear your handicapped parking placard around your neck to avail yourself of handicapped services. 😁 And besides, what would your poor parked car do if you had your placard with you instead of hanging it in the vehicle? 🤷‍♀️

They could just get one of those yellow vests that the dogs wear 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

For example to get special sign for parking in our state you need to proof for your disability.

But CC isn’t US, although they try to accommodate people.

You're right. It's called a note from your doctor. My wife is disabled. She carries NO documentation for that not is she required to do so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

Americans with disabilities usually have documents to prove they are disabled. 
So I suppose something like this could be used. Although imho it’s done so less people who don’t have disabilities use trams. We used it once just to check out. We wouldn’t attempt if it was declared only for people with disabilities. Maybe because people who don’t need tram are using it disabled people must wait longer? 

What type of documents are you aware of to prove a disability? 

7 hours ago, Tatka said:

For example to get special sign for parking in our state you need to proof for your disability.

But CC isn’t US, although they try to accommodate people.

FYI, to get a placard for your vehicle there is a state form that is filled out with a doctor's note.  That's it.

There is no paperwork that you carry.  

There are many people with medical issues that are unknown by just looking at a person.  

If Royal is truly considering getting rid of the tram, other than those with medical reasons,  that would be a huge mistake on their part.

• Like 4

This policy is insane- My DH and I are seniors- in our 70's while we aren't deemed handicapped, on our last cruise stopping in Nassau- the walk to the pier was horrible for us- the heat made it very difficult- How can the cruise line deny Seniors a ride on the tram?  They need more trams- to accomodate the passengers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

This policy is insane- My DH and I are seniors- in our 70's while we aren't deemed handicapped, on our last cruise stopping in Nassau- the walk to the pier was horrible for us- the heat made it very difficult- How can the cruise line deny Seniors a ride on the tram?  They need more trams- to accomodate the passengers.

Issue is not that it’s not enough trains, but rather safety. People walk and trains run on the same pier. They will have trains, but maybe less and for people who really need them.

What happens on other islands where there are no trains? There are many of them?

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Issue is not that it’s not enough trains, but rather safety. People walk and trains run on the same pier. They will have trains, but maybe less and for people who really need them?

I agree that this is most likely the reason for the change....but rather than eliminate the tram they just need to do a better job of traffic control.  It's not that hard.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I agree that this is most likely the reason for the change....but rather than eliminate the tram they just need to do a better job of traffic control.  It's not that hard.

Considering that capacity of this port is now up to 13K (Icon + Oasis class)... it is rather difficult.

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

What type of documents are you aware of to prove a disability? 

My late husband had COPD and had a parking placard but also had a small card that he carried in his wallet. If I were using his car and parked in a handicapped parking spot (which I never did) I could be asked to show the card. Funny thing is that he did not appear handicapped at all while I have arthritis and sometimes limp. 

The trams were running normally from the pier to the tram station when we were there on 10/4. Perhaps they were talking about trams back to the ship at the end of the day?

We will be back there again this Friday and I will try to get clarification on what (if anything) has changed.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

I emailed my sales rep and apparently this was for Oct 1-8 only; why I don't know. Future weeks should not be affected.

I was concerned personally as I have intermittent back issues. I reported to my rep that I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a shore excursion to not have a tram service if needed. Considering the cancelation policy is 48 hrs before, it could prove to be quite costly.

Personally I think a workaround to the problem is to charge a nominal fee. It would more likely be less expensive than what I tip.

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

FYI, to get a placard for your vehicle there is a state form that is filled out with a doctor's note.  That's it.

There is no paperwork that you carry. 

At least in my state, there is a "registration" card for the placard that can be requested by a police offer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tally Cruiser said:

I emailed my sales rep and apparently this was for Oct 1-8 only; why I don't know. Future weeks should not be affected.

I was concerned personally as I have intermittent back issues. I reported to my rep that I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a shore excursion to not have a tram service if needed. Considering the cancelation policy is 48 hrs before, it could prove to be quite costly.

Personally I think a workaround to the problem is to charge a nominal fee. It would more likely be less expensive than what I tip.

Well, it is after 8 Oct now.  I think you need to look at post #34 above.

12 hours ago, Tatka said:

Issue is not that it’s not enough trains, but rather safety. People walk and trains run on the same pier. They will have trains, but maybe less and for people who really need them.

What happens on other islands where there are no trains? There are many of them?

Not all islands have long walks to piers.  Sometimes you also take a tender directly to the pier.  Who will determine who needs rhe shuttle?  Must i bring a cane?

Edited by Cruise a holic

44 minutes ago, silentbob007 said:

I will be following as I will be traveling with someone who would need assistance.  Are the pathways wheelchair friendly or do they have the sand wheelchairs that can be used?

Both. 🙂 Sand wheelchairs are available on a first-come-first-served basis. According to DH, they are pretty easy to push in the sand but a bit harder on the paths. But the pathways are more than sufficiently wide for wheelchairs. 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not all islands have long walks to piers.  Sometimes you also take a tender directly to the pier.  Who will determine who needs rhe shuttle?  Must i bring a cane?

I’m sure they will accommodate people who will ask. They probably want to divert crowds of people with no issues 

16 hours ago, Tatka said:

Have you BEEN to CocoCay?  The trams run on the outer edge of the pier.  It's somewhat like a bike lane.  And it is delineated.  

Perfect Day at CocoCay: Port Review | Porthole Cruise Magazine

• Like 2