Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

While Celebrity has provided us with our best cruises, we have also cruised on Royal, NCL, Princess and HAL.

We have chosen to select price and itinerary over accruing higher loyalty status. As a result we have no qualms in cruise line hopping. Our next cruise is booked on HAL, but we will always keep Celebrity in the picture.

Lois, This may sound funny but I am glad you posted this. We just got back from a B2B on Reflection and I have to say this is the first time we have not booked another cruise while we were on board. Just so many little things we not right. I have to say I was ready to go home after the first leg of our cruise which is so unlike me. The food was not good. Blu was not so good this time. The Blu manager tried to keep us happy but we ate most of our meals in specialty restaurants. Muranos seemed to be the best. We ate there many times each week. I have 2 more cruises booked with Celebrity but I am canceling my panama canal as I have done one of these before and I really don't care for some of the ports. We have one next October celebrating our 50th anniversary with lots of friends. If that one is not so good then it will be goodbye to cruising Celebrity.

Pat

Hi Lois,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on your River Cruise. As for you not sailing with Celebrity ? It's always sad to see, when a very loyal Celebrity guest is cruising elsewhere. I always hope that Celebrity managment is aware of the unhappiness, and is taking notes. It's pretty clear that changes are ongoing, and it's not the same experience that so many of us have loved over the years. That's not to say the cruise cannot be very enjoyable - but it is... um, different.

We sailed 2 Princess Cruises over the past 2 months. The first sailing was fantastic. The recent sailing was good, but not nearly as good as the first cruise. Where does it leave us ? Hard to say. We still have several Celebrity sailings booked into 2017, but nothing is etched in stone.

We are super excited about sailing on Azamara in January. For those who have not sailed Azamara before, while the ships are smaller (about 30,000 tons) it's very much like what Celebrity was, years ago. Yes, it's pricier, but with Celebrity's prices increasing, it may be worth pricing Azamara, to see if there's a huge difference. If not ? I'd highly recommend considering Azamara. I'm planning on offering a "Live From" thread the last week of January. I hope everyone will visit the Azamara forum, when I'm onboard. It's the first sailing for Journey post Drydock, as she's being revitalized. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates to Journey.

I'm hoping we'll have many Celebrity cruises ahead, but I will be reading with great interest, what's being said from current and future cruisers. No matter what brand you choose, I wish you many wonderful voyages ahead !

Edited by Host Andy

---as Celebrity was, years ago. Yes, it's pricier, but with Celebrity's prices increasing, it may be worth pricing Azamara, to see if there's a huge difference. If not ? I'd highly recommend considering Azamara. I'm planning on offering a "Live From" thread the last week of January

I will look forward to that Andy, as we too are due to sail our first Azamara cruise. The reason we choose Azamara however, was the itinerary, with the added bonus that it sails from Southampton. Another minor consideration was that our status on X transfers to Azamara.

Lois R,

My sister favours river cruises, but because her husband has a 'movement' issue.

I hope the weather is fine and that you enjoy 'tulip time.'

Edited by upwarduk

I've sailed with Celebrity about 18 times over the last few years and it is very interesting to read other long term cruisers echoing my thoughts about the current standard.

Celebrity seems to have lost "something" in the last two or three years and the last cruise was the first where we thought it may be time for a change to another cruise line.

Apart from the gradual deterioration of the quality of the food, the entertainment and the apparent reduction in staffing levels there seems to be a different atmosphere on board.

I'm now restricted to cruising from the UK and, despite responding to Celebrity's request for ideas to include new itineraries, the same ones appear year after year.

The pricing policy has always been fluid, but nothing like it is now and I have decided that early booking no longer seems worth it. I have a reasonable price in mind and when/if it comes to that level then I may consider next years booking - otherwise I'm going to try something new.

As an Australian, I have looked at Princess and they are more expensive here for older ships, let alone a couple of the newer bigger ones. Then you start without the Elite perks. I can't even believe the P&O prices for smaller ships over 20 years old. P&O are considered a level below Carnival over here, but they do have a more interesting itinerary line up, as they are smaller and able to get into some different ports.

We are finding that the market here is so strong that the cruise lines are really focusing on specials obviously aiming to entice the new cruiser. As an Elite/RCI Diamond we are happy with a couple of drinks in the evening happy hour, so the drink package perk does not add up to much for us. When a new cruiser (like some friends we are booked with in 2017) sees the price with a drink package, it looks like a good deal, and it is.

Then new cruisers probably spend more on trinkets in shops that we will barely walk through, and they are bound to be more interested in over priced excursions.

I look forward to our next RCI and Celebrity bookings, but we are a bit bemused that 3 years ago on RCI we booked a Grand Suite, and we really envied our Diamond friends that were getting all the extras. Now on our last cruise we are bemused Diamonds, not getting ship tours, not getting priority tenders, but the suite guests are (as it should be for the Suite prices). The first time cruising Suite guests were allowed full access to the Diamond Lounge, and the Diamond Concierge tried to say to them that they had their own area, but she had no support from management.

We will do our next cruise on Royal in a suite, and then we will be sailing Celebrity in a balcony for 2017. However if we get the same feeling on Celebrity that we are not really valued loyalty program guests, then it will be our intention to look at doing Suites on other lines.

I don't think the RCI/Celebrity management really care about the loyalty program or long term cruisers. There are so many new customers out there that are blown away with how fantastic the ships are, and they are spending plenty of money on board.

We are seeing the lines focusing on the very quickly growing Asian market. It has meant that we see a flow on that some ships come over to Australia as well as we are in close proximity. The market is changing in many ways.

Add us to the list of long time celebrity loyalists now taking river cruises, land vacations and other cruise lines as celebrity joins the rush to mediocrity. We should be celebrities target audience...we have time and we're 1%ers. We look at value and don't just throw money around...and we have been quite pleased with Aqua class..and we have paid an appropriate premium for Aqua class. We are not suite people....don't need it and at the cost, there are, frankly, many other options. The world of travel does not revolve around cruising.

Certainly the celebrity cruising experience has been headed down....but their customer relationship has gone down much faster and farther...to the point where I no longer feel that I'm important, as a customer, to celebrity. I used to get a "welcome home, we're glad your back" feeling when boarding a celebrity ship...now, it's more of a "here's your glass of champagne....oh, you aren't in a suite....then welcome to our bus". I know I'm over stating this, but it's a perceptible negative change.

We just cancelled a South American B2B on the infinity for early 2016 because I wasn't looking forward to 28 days on the new infinity with the new theater on top of my previously quiet a1 cabin, and the culmination of Aqua changes, and the myopic focus on suites...or translated: who cares about Aqua passengers or elite pluses if you aren't in a suite....the water take away broke the camels back because it was such a really cheap "slap in the face" change.

We are boarding the equinox today with 2 other couples, all in 1a so we will eat together in the mdr. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully, we will have a great cruise...that's what I expect....and we'll once again look forward to cruising on celebrity. If not we'll be reconsidering three cruises (42 nights) that we've booked in A1 cabins. Btw, at current suite prices, there is no way celebrity will get us to upgrade...for those prices there are much better (for us) options on other cruise lines.

But it doesn't have to be apples to apples.

It is simply that a formerly loyal =X= cruiser is moving on. And if you (and Celebrity) doesn't see a trend here....

Yet Celebrity are still sailing with full ships as ours was two weeks ago. To me the line seems as hugely popular as ever and you are always going to see a percentage of passengers that want a change.

Speaking with many people on board they were just about all loyal to a Celebrity, had other cruises booked, and stated they were still the best cruise line out there.

Edited by yorky

After a dozen years of sailing with Celebrity I am moving on.......

Taking my first River Cruise in April:D.....I know it is about 360 degrees

different than an Ocean Cruise but it is something I have wanted to

do for a long time and I have the opportunity so I am taking it:).....

I was on Summit last month and yes, I had a good time but now with

the new pricing program (I booked that one before the GO Program

came into being).....but anyway, when I went to the FCC while on SUMMIT

and looked at a window cabin for next year on Summit.....lets just say

this is the first time in many years I have nothing booked on X.....not

even a deposit.

Seems I am not the only one changing.....I have read several threads

and know several people who are also switched.....I guess everyone

has their own reasons but I just know I am so looking forward to this

River Cruise.....sailing out of Amsterdam in the Spring....it is called

TULIP TIME:)

Not sure what I am going to do next fall......Maybe Celebrity, maybe

not.

HI Lois....somehow seeing your post reinforces my own belief that X just is making it difficult if not impossible to continue sailing with them. The pricing just released for 2017 sailings are just crazy and apparently there is no interest at all in retaining their loyal base. It's a gamble on their part that may or may not work out but in the meantime we also are looking elsewhere, we cruised on Princess for the 1st time in November and while there were areas that didn't meet X standards there were others that they excelled at, entertainment being the primary and VERY important one, for us anyway. Princess wins that battle hands down.

We enjoyed our TA on Eclipse so much this past April that we booked another on Reflection for this spring....but that will be it for us...the same rooms we booked for those 2 cruises have now more than doubled in price for 2017....way too rich for us...... now looking at Princess for a TA spring 2017, with 2 more nights and 2 more ports and at just over half the cost of X's alternative.....that's a no brainer choice for us....

I hope you enjoy your river cruise, that's also something we've looked at but nothing booked yet. X is losing one of it's biggest advocates in you, I guess they have decided their loyal customers are no longer important.....to their detriment.....:confused:

WOW...I see alot of you posted overnight.

Thanks again for the good wishes......not sure where I should start first.

Dana, my sister and bil have cruised on AMA and when my sis says

it was good:D...they have been cruising for years so her opinion means

a lot to me. And the gal I used to book...she and her husband have taken

at least 6 cruises on AMA so I think I made the right choice.

Andy, I know you went to Princess and who knows, maybe I will try

them down the road.

Hi Pat, hope you and Rod are doing well too.

I want to point out, it is not that my recent cruises (I went on 3 with

X this year) were horrible....well, (Connie was not good at all but that

was what I consider a total exception to the rule). But my other 2,

Alaska in May and just recently on Summit last month, I had a good time

but it is just something as some of you have mentioned.....small things

maybe......the overall experience. I never book suites and never will.

Regular balcony and/or window.

And I know there are plenty of folks who are younger and to be blunt,

have way more greenbacks than I do.....and if Celebrity is changing

their whole genre/demographic and want to gear towards them? Well,

as many others have stated over the years, the way to say I am not

really happy with it anymore is to take my own greenbacks elsewhere.

So, we shall see how my new adventure works out.:) I do feel good

about it though.:D

We always compare land based holidays to the cruise price and still the cruise deals are still the best. We always compare HAL, P&O and Celebrity for our annual Caribbean cruise and Celebrity are still the winner even after their pricing change. Even being Elite the drinks package is definitely a winner for us, rushing drinks between 5-7pm is not our scene, much preferring to take drinks with our meals.

Hi Lois ~ you know I feel your pain. It's so sad to see a company with great ships and crew making a slippery downward slide so quickly. I think Celebrity has struggled with an identity crisis the past several years. I appreciate them trying to appeal more to a wider demographic but I don't appreciate the way they've gone about it. You can't continue to give things like drink packages, gratuities and onboard credits away without making up that money elsewhere. Cuts across the board and increased prices for things like specialty restaurants is where they are trying to make it up. While people think we are getting "free" things, we really aren't.

We're booked on HAL's Koningsdam for 2017 (she's just being built) and she is designed by the same person that designed Celebrity's S-class ships (I could tell as soon as I saw the renderings). They have some great features on the ship that we're anxious to try.

Our plans are to also try a river cruise in the summer of 2017 and perhaps Azamara as well. While it's sad to leave Celebrity for now, it's nice that there are lots of other options for our vacation dollars.

Wishing you a wonderful river cruise and wherever else your travels take you.

Although the Tulips and Windmills cruise is rather atypical of most river itineraries, we loved it and we are certain you will as well.

Particularly as, we think, river cruising faces two major challenges:

1/ Exploding popularity has led to many more ships and no real alternatives in terms of cities/towns and their docking space. Hence the commonality of "rafting" at these docks and increased crowds.

2/ Attempting to make these ships more "luxurious" (perhaps to increase appeal to ocean cruisers) in some cases has deepened their draught. Add to that the less than typical weather, particularly last summer, and you have the potential of the necessity of busing to overcome navigational issues.

Thus I think your choice of itineraries is wise since you are not likely to encounter problem 2.

However, for those who have been on river cruises, perhaps like some Celebrity cruisers, we have nostalgia for the old days :).

But I also fully concur that, at some point, one needs to accept a change and a new experience.

I believe you are already active on the river cruising forum. We look forward to your assessment of your experience.

Hi Lois,

I'm certain that you will have a wonderful River Cruise. You always seem to enjoy your experiences.

I discussed what I projected as Celebrity's change of direction over a year ago. They have focused on the high margin, high spending customer. Unfortunately ,for many loyal customers, the strategy is working. Just try to book a Suite for a cruise within the next six months. The few available carry a hefty price. You can't blame any company for maximizing profits when they can. Heard a Future cruise presentation yesterday on Silhouette and the Exotics are basically sold out for the next year. Obviously someone is booking at the increased price level. I've heard through the grape vine that there will be more announcements in 2016 that will more Celebrity to more all inclusive pricing. This means that prices will continue to increase and more loyal cruisers will be priced out of the market.

Hi Lois,

I'm certain that you will have a wonderful River Cruise. You always seem to enjoy your experiences.

I discussed what I projected as Celebrity's change of direction over a year ago. They have focused on the high margin, high spending customer. Unfortunately ,for many loyal customers, the strategy is working. Just try to book a Suite for a cruise within the next six months. The few available carry a hefty price. You can't blame any company for maximizing profits when they can. Heard a Future cruise presentation yesterday on Silhouette and the Exotics are basically sold out for the next year. Obviously someone is booking at the increased price level. I've heard through the grape vine that there will be more announcements in 2016 that will more Celebrity to more all inclusive pricing. This means that prices will continue to increase and more loyal cruisers will be priced out of the market.

My current cruise has been one of the best in terms of service and quality!

Add me to the list of X cruisers that is looking outside of X for future vacations. This really pains me, though, as we are suite cruisers and we seem to be in X's most recent target demo (I'm mid-30's). We actually got engaged this summer while on a Millie cruise in Alaska and are getting on the Summit tomorrow in San Juan for our honeymoon. For all the same reasons listed above by others, however, X is just not feeling like "home" to me anymore and that is even when sailing in a suite.

For those that mentioned the ships currently sailing full, remember that most of these bookings were made prior to the recent changes. What will be really telling is the Q3/Q4 sailings given all that has been mentioned here.

I hope you love Tulip Time, Lois!

Edited by Classynfun1

Obviously we all do cruise ship vacations for a variety of different reasons.

It would be next to impossible for any cruise line to meet all those different expectations.

We cruise to relax and decompress.

I think there is a very wide range of expectations from fellow CC members...There has been much discussion on this thread about costs being high...I'm sure that is correct is some cases, but we haven't experienced that for our next two cruises.

I booked a Xmas cruise, "regular balcony", NO perks from X, and paid the lowest price we have ever paid for a 1 week cruise.

Booked a Western Caribbean cruise next spring and paid what we typically have paid in the past...again, balcony with NO X perks.

I have yet to see a ship sail anywhere but close to completely full. X must be doing something right.

Grass sure looks greener, and maybe the higher prices will prevail, but for now we are happy paying what we do for the service that we get.

I'm guessing that if we sailed in suites, we might have a different perspective, (where the price to go to a smaller/fancier cruise line wouldn't be that dramatic) but for a "regular joe" sailing in cheaper cabins, we would never pay what those lines charge.

I will also be curious when the new ships come on board.

To OP, enjoy river cruise...we have looked for a long time at them, but they just cost too much for us...We would rather do land trips in Europe, but I know you will have great time.

Hi folks...thanks for all the good wishes and kind words:)

And hello Bob:D....and Don:)

Don, you have a River Cruise booked? Which line did you go with?

I am going on AMA Waterways.....they were highly recommended.

Sorry, my fault, we have one Celebrity cruise booked, actually Jeanne doesn't want to go so Brian and I are making it a boys week.

So the OP is planning to take a river cruise? Well, so am I. I hope to combine it with a Celebrity TA. I don't consider that "Jumping Ship." :eek:

You are staying with Celebrity so of course it is not jumping ship.:eek:

We all have our own opinions.....ours seem to differ. And that is fine.

There are a lot of people who still love the line and find the value wonderful.

I am not telling them to leave......I was just posting about my experience.

Booked to Alaska for the 5th time May 2016 on Millenium ,ending in Seward .Since we have been there so many times in the past ,we are placing more emphasis on the land side of our trip vs the cruise side & thus booked a inside cabin .We will use our E+ perks to advantage . :D

Going first on Island Princess from LA to Vancouver ,a 3 night Repo & will compare both ships for food quality ,presentation ,service & entertainment

Prices for both cruises were very reasonable with tips covered by OBCs:D

We are spending more time on land than at sea even doing a 3 night Princess & a 8 night Celebrity .Our land portion is 6 nights inside Alaska & 7 nights in Calgary /Banff Ntl Pk :D

Hi Lois,

I think it's only natural to look around and see how our favorite lines stack up. Lauren and I have never taken a river cruise, so it will be great to see how you like your AMA experience!

We've never been an exclusive Celebrity couple, although, 50% of our 56 cruises have been with the "X" label. Here is our current rotation:

--Celebrity is still number one.

--NCL using their UDP (Ultimate Dining Package) is surprisingly excellent. Great entertainment as well.

--Oceania and Azamara are great, but very expensive.

--Cunard is wonderful; very formal and great MDR cuisine. The buffet is not great however.

--Certain ships and itineraries with Royal Caribbean are a great experience. Too bad their food is not a bit better. The Quantum class feels somewhat "Celebrity Like", but lack the cuisine. The large Oasis class is something everyone should try.

--HAL used to be one of our favorites, but it's on our "out list" for now. Old, tired, too traditional, and the smoking situation is one of the worst.

--Princess, we don't get it. We've tried, and many people love them, but we find it crowded, impersonal, so so food, and a dull experience.

Some day we will cruise Crystal, Seabourne, Silversea…, But out of our $$$$ league right now. Of course, we will look into a River cruise at some point, but we've travel extensively around all of Europe using the train system and "day cruises".

Have a wonderful time!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

So the OP is planning to take a river cruise? Well, so am I. I hope to combine it with a Celebrity TA. I don't consider that "Jumping Ship." :eek:

That was our plan for 2017, until we saw the prices for TAs. Unless the prices drop considerably we will be flying to Europe. We have a Celebrity Transpacific booked for September 2016 and have no intention of booking another cruise with them at the present prices. We enjoy the Elite+ benefits, so have no interest in drink packages. The included gratuities and OBC in no way make up for the inflated prices, so we may well be jumping ship, although I will not say that we will never book Celebrity again. Itinerary and price are the deciders for us and we will be considering other cruise lines as well as land tours.

I would rather know that folks are exploring other options, than have long time posters just slip away..interesting to know why and what they will be doing next..also lets us know we are not the only ones....

And there's .no reason why they should not post ( if they choose to) with valid commentary based on years of Celebrity experience and comparisons. Not to mention a wealth of photographs that have been shared.

And just maybe Celebrity will take some time to read the various posts about .why folks are moving on or branching out....

Just my own opinion....

While my DH and I truly enjoy Celebrity, we also enjoy other cruise lines. We love the RC Oasis Class ships when sailing with family, who have kids under 17, and recently had a great experience on NCL in the Haven. It was wonderful but expensive. Have enjoyed sailings, perhaps not as much on Princess and it's sister Carnival.

It is a good idea to have many different cruise experiences . It makes your choices so much more meaningful and gives you a true basis for comparision. After trying different brands and classes of ships, we now make informed decisions on which ships, where and when to sail.

Edited by Cruise a holic