What port of call is missed the most?

manmtnmike

Just wondering since we we missed Half Moon Cay about 30% of the time, are there other ports that are missed frequently?

Thanks!

I found a travel ins policy that pays out $750 per incident of ship missing port or changing ports of call.:)

As per all the responses you've received, tender ports are the more unreliable.

Even in fine weather, high swells can preclude tender operations - ship steady as a rock, but little tender boats rising & falling on the swells even by just a few feet making transfers between ship & boat potentially dangerous.

A couple of years ago, on its first season on a new itinerary, a Thomson ship failed to make the tender port on San Blas Island, Panama on I think every cruise due to unfavourable conditions. That port has been replaced on its current itinerary.

High winds can also make berthing difficult, this affects big ships more than little 'uns because the big high superstructure acts like a sail. Antigua is a example, because there's a narrow approach to the port.

Then there are politically-unstable regions of the world, currently such as Turkey, Israel, Egypt. Captains are very circumspect about landing their passengers in dangerous ports, though in the main folk know well in advance which ports they're likely to be.

All the above makes a person wonder how a ship ever makes port :D

But it's nothing like as frequent as it might seem.

How many Caribbean ports are missed?

In my experience I'd guess about 8 to 10% - that's an average of one per two-week cruise.

Anyone else care to suggest an average?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Even in fine weather, high swells can preclude tender operations - ship steady as a rock, but little tender boats rising & falling on the swells even by just a few feet making transfers between ship & boat potentially dangerous.

A couple of years ago, on its first season on a new itinerary, a Thomson ship failed to make the tender port on San Blas Island, Panama on I think every cruise due to unfavourable conditions. That port has been replaced on its current itinerary.

High winds can also make berthing difficult, this affects big ships more than little 'uns because the big high superstructure acts like a sail. Antigua is a example, because there's a narrow approach to the port.

Then there are politically-unstable regions of the world, currently such as Turkey, Israel, Egypt. Captains are very circumspect about landing their passengers in dangerous ports, though in the main folk know well in advance which ports they're likely to be.

All the above makes a person wonder how a ship ever makes port :D

But it's nothing like as frequent as it might seem.

How many Caribbean ports are missed?

In my experience I'd guess about 8 to 10% - that's an average of one per two-week cruise.

Anyone else care to suggest an average?

I'd agree with your first statement... but it's "apples and oranges" when it's generallized to "Caribbean" ports, esp. compared to the larger more prepared ports like nassau, and St. Martin and St. Thomas, for example...

But for less than $150 ins it's the best ins designed for cruising out there...$750 coverage for a missed port?! I'll get Travel ins anyway.

You would be paid $750 for a missed port, even if you didn't have a $750 loss? Or they will pay up to $750 for any loss due to missing a port? Something sounds odd here.

On the Private Islands board, the common discussion is the miss rate at HMC is about 20-25%. Personally, we have made it 8 of 8 times. Only one was iffy.

You would be paid $750 for a missed port, even if you didn't have a $750 loss? Or they will pay up to $750 for any loss due to missing a port? Something sounds odd here.

On the Private Islands board, the common discussion is the miss rate at HMC is about 20-25%. Personally, we have made it 8 of 8 times. Only one was iffy.

Bruce...Great point, I'll have to check, the info on contract is vague...

Mike

Edited by manmtnmike

I'd agree with your first statement... but it's "apples and oranges" when it's generallized to "Caribbean" ports, esp. compared to the larger more prepared ports like nassau, and St. Martin and St. Thomas, for example...

But for less than $150 ins it's the best ins designed for cruising out there...$750 coverage for a missed port?! I'll get Travel ins anyway.

Yes, absolutely a generalisation.

So your example of Nassau is close to 100% success, and my example of San Blas close to 100% failure - at least for that particular ship.

With one or two cruises I've taken, it sounds like that insurance payout would pretty-well cover the cost of the entire cruise :)

But no such insurance available in the UK, as far as I'm aware :(

I found a travel ins policy that pays out $750 per incident of ship missing port or changing ports of call.:)

What is the name of this policy and what company offers it? Seems like if is reasonable price it would be a no-brainer if it truly covers $750 for a missed port.

What is the name of this policy and what company offers it? Seems like if is reasonable price it would be a no-brainer if it truly covers $750 for a missed port.

Nationwide; there were a couple discussions in the insurance forum about this. Be advised it provides different benefits, depending on your state of residence. You'd have to clarify for your state, and the wording of the policy itself is a little vague. If you are interested make sure you clarify exactly what's covered with an agent.

We missed Princess Cays, which is near Half Moon Cay, on one cruise due to rough seas. That day, because of the way the wind was blowing, the HAL ship was still able to make its stop at Half Moon Cay while our ship just sailed around in circles.

Some Pacific Islands as well including Easter Island.

Even tougher than Easter Island (where we were recently able to tender only one of the two days there) is Pitcairn Island where Oceania has pretty much given up getting folks shoreside (very difficult conditions most of the time). It's still on some itineraries. But, the current practice is to have the islanders board the ship from their long boat. Pretty much most of the approx 50 inhabitants make the trip and then hold a crafts fare while also doing lectures and a narrated cruise past key features of the island.

On the repo cruises to and from Alaska at the start and end of the season, Astoria OR seems to be missed on at least half the cruises it is scheduled for. A tender port on the North Pacific coast is always risky.

I must be lucky as in all my years of cruising the Caribbean I have only missed Grand Cayman once and cannot recall ever missing a cruise lines' private island call. Though my parents were on the SS Norway several times in its final years and seemed to miss Great Stirrup Cay each time.

And sometimes you are better off not fighting Mother Nature. Thee years ago on the Queen Mary 2 we anchored off Dublin in a teeming rain. The Captain and the port authority came to an agreement that one and only one tender boat would be allowed to operate; I guess the biggest fear was that two tenders would collide due to the poor visibility. Needles to say half the passengers who had lined up for tender tickets first thing in the morning will still onboard for lunch.

<snip>

I've not seen San Blas Islands on itineraries for years. We stopped there at least three times on partial/canal transits and it was great fun. I never really 'fell' for the whole gist of how authentic but we enjoyed each time we were there.

We knew who was the 'Chief' as his canoe was painted. :)

This brought back some fabulous memories of rocking good times. :D

I've not seen San Blas Islands on itineraries for years. We stopped there at least three times on partial/canal transits and it was great fun. I never really 'fell' for the whole gist of how authentic but we enjoyed each time we were there.

We knew who was the 'Chief' as his canoe was painted. :)

This brought back some fabulous memories of rocking good times. :D

Hi S7S,

Not the first good report I've heard of San Blas, a shame to have missed it.

Mebbe I'll have better luck next time if I paddle my own canoe :D

I would guess Grand Cayman then Belize. Grand Cayman because so many ships stop there. Then Belize because of the distance from Ship to port. Both are tender ports.

We have been to Belize twice and it was not tender:confused:

We have been to Belize twice and it was not tender:confused:

Are you sure it was Belize? I've never heard of a dock there that cruise ships use. Have been there on a ship smaller than 1000 passengers and it certainly was a tender. Have also been there on a 3000 passenger ship.