Would you bid on an upgrade?

CineGraphic

So they are playing the game that the airlines are now into.

I believe in purchasing a cabin where I will be happy. If the upgrade fairy lands, that's super. If the upsell fairy comes to visit, I'll consider the offer. But I don't think I'm interested in a bidding war with fellow passengers.

I believe in purchasing a cabin where I will be happy. If the upgrade fairy lands' date=' that's super. If the upsell fairy comes to visit, I'll consider the offer. But I don't think I'm interested in a bidding war with fellow passengers.[/quote']

Completely agree with you. We book the cabin we want.

An upgrade might be nice, an upsell would be considered, however I am not interested in a bidding war either.

I would be willing to do "closed" bidding, where anyone interested could name what they would be willing to pay, and the highest could buy it, but not a back and forth bidding war.

I would consider it (maybe) if that was the way the bidding worked and if we were told exactly which cabin it was. Making a bid is a simple act and if you don't get it, you just go ahead and enjoy what you already paid for. Simple.

Nope. I book way in advance and choose the cabin I want. It would take a lot for me to consider even a free upgrade. What one person (or Princess) considers an upgrade, you may not. For instance, you could upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony but it's located beneath public deck. There's no way I'd consider that an upgrade.

I believe in purchasing a cabin where I will be happy. If the upgrade fairy lands' date=' that's super. If the upsell fairy comes to visit, I'll consider the offer. But I don't think I'm interested in a bidding war with fellow passengers.[/quote']

I'm with you.

We are booked on June 2017 Baltics and our flight is SAS - SFO to Copenhagen. We have an option to bid on upgrade to Economy Plus. I assume it is a one time bid. I started estimating how much I would be prepared to bid to ensure an upgrade and then thought 'If I want it that badly, why not book Economy Plus in the first place'.

I could submit a $25 bid to SAS just in case there are empty Plus seats and no one else bids :D

I agree with others - No bid on Princess.

open bidding sounds horrible.

is to goal to do away with guarantees? i mean obviously the goal is to eek out as much money from us as possible, but the secondary goal.

it seems like a bigger hassle than contacting a few passengers to see who bites. i also foresee really upset customers who don't understand the biding being super upset when they don't win.

A closed system, perhaps. A reverse system as well (where Princess sets a price for the upgrade and people can grab one. Each day thereafter the cost goes down by $10 until all the upgrades are gone.) But I wouldn't be interested in an Ebay style upward auction where one would have to stay up until midnight and place a last minute sniper bid in order to "win".

Me personally? No, because I book what we want..

But is it a good idea for the lines to maximize the value of unsold cabins, and generally more fair to consumers than whoever calls first and gets the right rep gets an upgrade? Yep...

RCCL was going to test this as well before they started changing their Star classes around.