Taking food off the ship into port in Alaska

Gardener62

Actually this type of “food sensitivity” is fairly common. Sadly, there are quite a few people who seem to be unable to eat food they have to buy if there is ANY possibility of sneaking stuff out of some buffet somewhere and sneaking it somewhere else.

Very true. Some people just have to miss out on great local, perhaps unique or speciality foods.

Actually this type of “food sensitivity” is fairly common. Sadly, there are quite a few people who seem to be unable to eat food they have to buy if there is ANY possibility of sneaking stuff out of some buffet somewhere and sneaking it somewhere else.

Yes -- sadly, you would have thought that Alaska was a third world country, from reading the OP's initial post.

Boarding a 3 day cruise on Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach several years ago. Boarding stopped because a couple decided to leave the previous cruise on a sea day.

We waited many hours for the investigation to finish. The ship could only send down water, even though the ship provisions in Long Beach weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not necessarily true. Some ports are enclosed by a fence and your bag is checked, plus they have dogs sniffing bags.

Not in Alaska for sure. Which port did you leave the ship with fences and dogs? Never happened to me

i always sneak stuff off the ship, think I am going to pay for food when we have all that on the ship, yogurt, bacon, croissants, bagels work best. If you get caught just plead ignorance or senility.

Wow. Just.........wow.

Well hopefully through all this the OP understands that taking non-prepackaged food off the ship is not allowed - if they come back to their thread.

I've noticed that very often the OP never returns if they don't like the answers given. They don't post for information but for affirmation. :cool:

Not in Alaska for sure. Which port did you leave the ship with fences and dogs? Never happened to me

Many ports the actual dock area is fenced and you have to exit at a specific gate.

Have been checked at several Mexican ports (also behind gates), Cartagena, Dominica. Even in the US at Fort Lauderdale you enter a guarded gate; can't just enter port. Many of the guarded ports have dogs patrolling.

While everyone in this thread is spouting the standard line for Caribbean cruises, I wonder how many have actually cruised in AK, and know the rules there? I also wonder if the OP realizes that they are in the US, and that convenience stores are easy to find. I have been to every major cruise port in AK, except Haines, and have yet to see any dogs, customs agents, guards, guns, fences, etc.

OP should check the AK state rules on line and proceed accordingly.

While everyone in this thread is spouting the standard line for Caribbean cruises, I wonder how many have actually cruised in AK, and know the rules there? I also wonder if the OP realizes that they are in the US, and that convenience stores are easy to find. I have been to every major cruise port in AK, except Haines, and have yet to see any dogs, customs agents, guards, guns, fences, etc.

San Diego has Ag dogs and fences. She alerted on my lemon heads.

Do remember seeing a dog in one of our Alaskan ports last year. Wasn’t close enough to read its vest. No idea which govt agency it belonged to.

Edited by SadieN

In 2012 my brother tried to walk off the ship with a banana in one Alaska port and a coffee in a to-go cup in another. In both cases at the bottom of the gangplank he was told to either eat/drink the items or dump them in a large nearby garbage can that was quite full. He had no excuse - other than paying no attention and not learning from his first mistake - since the regulations for Alaska and Canada were highlighted in the Patter every day.

While everyone in this thread is spouting the standard line for Caribbean cruises, I wonder how many have actually cruised in AK, and know the rules there?

Several threads on this and the same rules apply. Keep in mind many Alaska itineraries depart from a Canadian port and would be provisioned there so taking non-prepackaged foods off the ship is not permitted.

Besides as others have pointed out, as it is a US state, not sure what would be needed that couldn't be purchased on shore to avoid any possible violation.

I've noticed that very often the OP never returns if they don't like the answers given. They don't post for information but for affirmation. :cool:

You must be referring to another poster. The OP has only posted three times, twice on this thread. And the thread is only a day old.

You must be referring to another poster. The OP has only posted three times, twice on this thread. And the thread is only a day old.

I took that response when I read it as referring to generic OP's - not this one specifically. :)

But certainly could be interpreted to be included.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Although about 5 yrs since our last visit to Alaska, I don't recall any of their ports having enhanced security provisions. However, this is not common throughout the world, since the implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code) many ports have enhanced security up to total access controls and dogs.

Vancouver is a classic example, with all port roads now requiring a port pass for access.

All I can eat is mango and fresh coconut. If I get a medical from my Dr. can I bring that off ship?

Your doctor's note would probably receive a suggestion to remain on board. Obviously it is at the discretion of the Border Agent, but in our experience entering the U.S. the most likely answer is NO.

All I can eat is mango and fresh coconut. If I get a medical from my Dr. can I bring that off ship?

Are you sure the ship has mango and fresh coconut? Have seen mango in the Caribbean but don't remember fresh coconut on any cruise. Admittedly I wasn't looking for it, but I love fresh coconut and if it had been on buffet I think I would have seen it.

Are you sure the ship has mango and fresh coconut? Have seen mango in the Caribbean but don't remember fresh coconut on any cruise. Admittedly I wasn't looking for it, but I love fresh coconut and if it had been on buffet I think I would have seen it.

I can get it on the ship, I just need to take it off in containers in my backpack for snacking while onshore. I drink coconut water and milk, as well as snack on chunks of fresh

I think not,,,, not in Alaska. All you ever eat is mango and fresh coconut? I was going to suggest taking one of the sealed, bags of shredded Coconut. that might be permitted to b e carfried off the ship. but then i saw you specified fresh. I have sailed on many ships, a Number of cruise lines and do not remember seeing fresh coconut on any ship.

What will you do if your ship is not stocked with agreat many mangos and has no fresh coconut?

Have you told the cruise line that is alll you eat ?

Alaska and Caribbean cruises may not provision exactly the same.

Edited by sail7seas

Your doctor's note would probably receive a suggestion to remain on board. Obviously it is at the discretion of the Border Agent, but in our experience entering the U.S. the most likely answer is NO.

Actually, I believe that, rather than writing such a note, that doctor would prescribe treatment at an eating disorder clinic: “all I can eat is mango and fresh coconut” ....!!!!!

Come on!

Actually, I believe that, rather than writing such a note, that doctor would prescribe treatment at an eating disorder clinic: “all I can eat is mango and fresh coconut” ....!!!!!

Come on!

I think myfuzzy is pulling our legs. Just a few days ago on a Princess thread that I was watching they wrote:

"OK, bagged snacks available in shops, I get it, I don't think I ever seen them, but I guess I've never looked.

I'm talking about powered scrambled eggs, pre made sandwiches, more edible deserts, either more upscale dishes or more comfort foods....

I for one would wish they would make breakfasts to order in the buffet to get hot fresh pancakes,waffles, fresh eggs. The bacon and sausages are OK."

Seems like there is no issue at all as to what they can eat.

I can get it on the ship, I just need to take it off in containers in my backpack for snacking while onshore. I drink coconut water and milk, as well as snack on chunks of fresh
No need to worry as there are mango and coconut trees on almost every corner in Alaska!;p

No need to worry as there are mango and coconut trees on almost every corner in Alaska!;p

And because it can get cold and snowy in Alaska, the trees have adapted to grow plastic baggies around their fruit for protection. Just pluck a few baggies off the nearest tree as you walk by - a slight twist is all that is needed - and continue on your excursion uninterrupted, munching on fresh fruit right off the tree.