Do You Miss Folks From Previous Cruises?

Thrak

We aren't really folks with a bazillion cruises like many here. We have actually only cruised 9 times so far and (unless we book a cruise next spring) won't hit Elite until very late next year (with 154 days). That means we haven't cruised with the same folks much. However, I find myself missing cruising with folks from our 28 day cruise last October. It was truly a great bunch of people whom I (we) would love to cruise with again.

We did meet up with one couple later as they fled the Canadian winter. They weren't even part of our huge roll call group but were dinner companions on the cruise. Freaking great folks. We met them for dinner as they passed through the area where we live. What a truly nice couple. We really enjoyed their company immensely on the ship and also on their way through our area.

Do you find yourself "missing" folks you cruised with before and wishing you could cruise with them again? While I can't really imagine anyone "missing" cruising with me I certainly find myself thinking back on what great folks we cruised with on that particular cruise. That was really a special group of people and we would both love to cruise with them again.

I also find myself wishing we could cruise with some of the crew members again. Some of them were truly outstanding and it would be great to cruise with them again. I do realize that, to them, we were likely just a couple of random cruisers out of the bazillion they see but they really stood out to me (us) and we would love to cruise with them again.

Sooooo... How about it. Do you find yourself missing former fellow cruisers and wishing you could cruise with them again?

I have made some very dear friends from past cruises. With email (and FaceBook), it is so easy to keep in touch with them. I carry social cards with my email address on them. I fill in the cruise and the date. I hand them out to those I wish to continue a friendship with. It is up to them to decide if they want to send me a confirmation email with their information.

Looking forward to cruising with you someday.

I also find myself wishing we could cruise with some of the crew members again. Some of them were truly outstanding and it would be great to cruise with them again. I do realize that, to them, we were likely just a couple of random cruisers out of the bazillion they see but they really stood out to me (us) and we would love to cruise with them again.

Agreed. We have met some wonderful passengers, but what I seem to miss the most are the crew members who went out of their way to make the cruise such a fun one.

I miss Cruise Director Corey Moir, one of the highest energy people I ever met. Corey did "The Wake Show" every morning on tv, and if that didn't get passengers energized for the day's events, I don't know what would have.

I miss Arnold, our waiter on the Emerald Princess, one of the most conscientious, friendly, hard-working people ever.

I miss our walking tour guide in Ketchikan, Joe Williams, a member of the Tlingit tribe, who in 2 short hours, taught all about the Tlingit culture, Tlingit language, totem poles, all sorts of history of the Inside Passage. He taught us to say "thank you" in Tlingit. He has a Facebook page, "Where the Eagle Walks", and I'm sure that everyone in Ketchikan, Alaska knows him. What an interesting personality.

Thanks for starting this fun thread ! -- EBC

we have been most fortunate. Up until 2006,. we only travelled on HAL. There were folks we befriended that we still keep in touch with Then there were 2 couples and 2 women that up until today we still travel with annually. About 5 yrs ago on Princess we met another couple that we cruise with every other year.

So I consider people I have met friends and look forward to always making new ones. Also the more we cruise it seems that we run into people we have been on other cruises with as well.

Nice friendly groups of people.

Only really stayed in touch with a small handful of people we have met in cruises. Plus one bloke who works check in.

Only one couple face to face, and one other by phone.

But then I am a bit of an anti social SOB.

• Haha 1

Interesting question. Yes, we have been fortunate to have met some lovely passengers and crew members on our cruises who have enhanced our experience and given us some happy memories. With have also met some great folks on our Rick Steves tours. It’s been refreshing and encouraging to see that there are still many kind, pleasant, and thoughtful people in the world. We have communicated with several after our cruises and tours and in one case our plans to meet up with a couple for lunch in Seattle were thwarted when we experienced a last minute flight cancellation. (We we’re on our way to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise and had scheduled a brief stay in Seattle prior to the cruise.)

I have to say, Thrak, that we always enjoy your posts and you and your wife are CC members that we would love to meet some day.

We have met some great folks over the years and quite a few we still are in contact with, either cruising with them again or meeting for dinner when we come their way.

Also nice to go on a ship and see crew members we got to know on previous cruises. On last one two of the headwaiters we had known from the past.

Last year, we ran into a couple we had met on a cruise five years before. We met them on the train ride from Fairbanks to Denali--when Princess assigned us to sit together on the train. When we ran into them, we were standing in line to kiss the Blarney Stone. Catching up with them made the wait seem to go by quickly. We arranged to eat dinner with them on one of the open seating nights later on that cruise. We'd love to see them on another cruise. We're back in touch with them by email and may eventually work out to do that.

Sooooo... How about it. Do you find yourself missing former fellow cruisers and wishing you could cruise with them again?

Hi neighbors, I miss you 2 too. That was a fantastic cruise! I actually have several little groups of cruise friends I have made on my cruises. I have done a couple reunion cruises and I am cruising in October with one of of those little groups :)

We have made some great friends on cruises!! I’d say only one couple where we invite each other to meals at our homes. That kind of happened from cruising together a couple of times and with various family members.

We also do holiday cruises and have also become friends with some of the couples who repeat the holiday Cruises. We don’t really do things outside of cruising but we can count on their amazing company on our next holiday cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never stayed in contact with anyone we have met on a cruise. We only sit at a table for two for meals, and aren't really interested in making friends while on a cruise.:)

this -

do remember Carmen from Vines on a cruise, and ( forgot her name now - maybe Cherry seems right ), but asked Carmen about her, and she happened to be in the wheelhouse bar, so we would split our time between the two - about 80/20 vines...

we did meet a couple on our last cruise - and we both knew... well, it's a long story but it was a childhood friend of mine that they also knew the couple...

we saw him a few times on the ship, but never socialized with them after the sailaway...

Yes, I do miss some people that we have cruised with. Two of our dearest friends are people we met at lunch on embarkation day about 10 years. We have since cruised with them since on more than one occasion, they have stayed with us and we talk frequently. Just did our last cruise with them this past December and have one more planned. Since they live in Canada and we are in Florida, it’s not easy to get together.

Feel very fortunate to have meet Kathy & Bernie.

Met a wonderful couple from England on one of our sailings and when they got off their last b2b we had lunch and they fly into Miami in mid September for another sailing and we will be having dinner with them. We keep up via facebook. They are really good people as well.

I could go on and on as we have been so lucky to have met such great people and keep in touch with many.

I have met many people on cruises, through roll calls, etc. and many have become very good friends. I’ve cruised again with quite a few, stayed in touch via social media and emails, and always look forward to seeing them again on future cruises.

I managed several Community sites for a major online service for many years. Cruise Critic originated as a community (forum) on that service. I still think of CC and cruising as a community of friends with common interests. IMHO, that’s what keeps it interesting and fun.

Thrak:

We had a great cruise last October on the Emerald Princess. The 28 days went by fast because of the group of people we were with. I tell a lot of people it was the best cruise critic group we have cruised with and we have done about 30 cruises. Good sailing! We will see you and your wife on another ship!

We have friends all over the world that we have met while cruising. In fact, the couple we vacation with now every year we met on a cruise. We love meeting people from other parts of the world and learning about their cultures and beliefs. Helps you realize we are all the same.

We haven’t, but would if we met that right couple. I think for us it’s a bit different because we travel with siblings and cousins so we have our own table and plenty of other people to hang with.

But, in answer to your question, our very close friends met a couple they cruised with about 5 years ago. They live about 3 hours apart and see each other regularly and have been on 2 other cruises together since. We’ve met them and now have been lucky enough to call them our friends as well and hope to do a cruise all together one day.

I’m going on a cruise in November....maybe we’ll come home with some new friendships!!

We aren't really folks with a bazillion cruises like many here. We have actually only cruised 9 times so far and (unless we book a cruise next spring) won't hit Elite until very late next year (with 154 days). That means we haven't cruised with the same folks much. However, I find myself missing cruising with folks from our 28 day cruise last October. It was truly a great bunch of people whom I (we) would love to cruise with again.

We did meet up with one couple later as they fled the Canadian winter. They weren't even part of our huge roll call group but were dinner companions on the cruise. Freaking great folks. We met them for dinner as they passed through the area where we live. What a truly nice couple. We really enjoyed their company immensely on the ship and also on their way through our area.

Do you find yourself "missing" folks you cruised with before and wishing you could cruise with them again? While I can't really imagine anyone "missing" cruising with me I certainly find myself thinking back on what great folks we cruised with on that particular cruise. That was really a special group of people and we would both love to cruise with them again.

I always found it interesting how well the cruise lines would place us with strangers at a table in the dining room and how compatible we would all be. In 2016 we took a Carnival Cruise to Acapulco, Ixtapa, & Manzanillo. Our table mates were this really nice couple and over the 8 days we had a lot of fun together. We have always wished we stayed in touch as they were so fun and we would have loved to have cruised with them another time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Agreed. We have met some wonderful passengers, but what I seem to miss the most are the crew members who went out of their way to make the cruise such a fun one.

I agree that there are some crew members we would love to see again. Some just really stand out for their wonderful and friendly service. There are a number of folks in that category but people move around and don't stay on the same ship (or do they?) so it's difficult to know if we will ever see them again. Since we haven't really cruised all that much it's not as if we have vast opportunities to see them again but one can always hope. :)

I agree that there are some crew members we would love to see again. Some just really stand out for their wonderful and friendly service. There are a number of folks in that category but people move around and don't stay on the same ship (or do they?) so it's difficult to know if we will ever see them again. Since we haven't really cruised all that much it's not as if we have vast opportunities to see them again but one can always hope. :)

I do run into some of the same crews, usually bartenders and I wonder if it’s because I keep doing the same cruise. Our good friends that I was talking about is texting me from their Regal sailing that they are currently on (also doing the TA) and lo and behold, Jason is bartending again at Crooners.

Guess you can tell where I spend too much of my time!! LOL

Yes! We miss some people we've met on prior cruises! I've been friends with many people from our wonderful group of CCers for the past 6 years from our 2012 British Isles cruise. That was one awesome group of people and we had so much fun!

We remember lots of other people and still talk about them today. Seems like we meet at least 2-3 couples that make a real impression on us on every cruise. They made our cruises great experiences and are part of the memories.

Thrak-Why not have a reunion cruise? Lots of people on RCI and other boards will do that. They have a group that cruises every so often together. There's huge lists of them on the main Boards list and you could post your cruise there. ;)

I'm doing a repeat this October! Last Feb my friend and I cruised a 5n to Cabo, made friends playing Trivia, we had so much fun - we're doing a 7n Cali Coastal together Oct 6th! ;p

But I agree, friends are easier to make on the longer cruises. Did our 1st TA this spring, our dining table in the MDR had so much fun, that about a week in, another table was leaving the late dining, a woman stopped at our table and asked how long we'd all known each other, because we were having SO MUCH fun...you should have seen the look of shock on her face when I said, "8 days", our whole table was laughing so hard, we were just uncontrollable! We made friends (& social media friends now) from Washington, Florida, Canada, Russia, the Russians from Florida! I love keeping up with them all, it's so easy now!

DH & I are doing our first REALLY long cruise in March! The 28n Hawaii - Tahiti, etc. We are so looking forward to all those sea days from our aft balcony!! :hearteyes: And making new friends!! Whose on the Star with us March 29???

Happy Sailing!

Your story reminds me of my table on the Queen Mary 2 last summer. We six got along immediately (2 Americans, 3 British, and one French). We laughed and talked nonstop and had such a wonderful time each evening that even our waiters seemed to be enjoying us (and the waiters on Cunard are not generally the cheery, happy, gregarious types we're used to on Princess).

I've met some enjoyable people onboard -- mostly dinner tablemates or trivia teams -- but can't say that I've extended those relationships on land. I'm kind of introverted, so someone would have to make the effort; I'd never dream of extending my contact info. And there are quite a few posters here on CC who I'd love to meet in person someday (plus a few who I'd definitely avoid).