Tell me about your baggage

Notonboard

We do longer cruises, so can't really comment for 7 days.

For carry-on, I have my camera backpack (fit in overhead bins) + laptop bag and DW has a rolling case meeting carry-on sizes to fit in the overhead bins + her purse. 

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

For any cruise we take a backpack and an airline carryon size.  We are in 70's and got tired of dragging suitcases around.  For a cold weather cruise we might share another 21" case.  EM

While that is also our starting point, we usually overflow into a 24 inch case that we check on the airline.  That gives us room for snorkeling gear (half the suitcase), extra shoes, and souvenirs.

Whatever you do don't spend a lot of money on luggage. Go to Costco, SAMS, or somewhere else and get inexpensive luggage. Whatever you get is going to get beaten up and my experience is that I get longer life out of the stuff I get at COSTCO than what I buy at luggage stores.

9 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Whatever you do don't spend a lot of money on luggage. Go to Costco, SAMS, or somewhere else and get inexpensive luggage. Whatever you get is going to get beaten up and my experience is that I get longer life out of the stuff I get at COSTCO than what I buy at luggage stores.

I agree 100 percent!!   Even Kohls online when they have the 30 percent coupon.  Luggage gets destroyed easily, no matter how expensive it is.    One piece of advice I do have though.  I purchased a "hard shell" a couple of years ago.  Not thinking....I realized there are no "outside" compartments, cutting down dramatically on storage.  This is where I put all of my toiletries in zip-lock bags...so no breakage and leakage all over the clothes.  

Edited by champagne123

How much luggage I would take on a 7 day trip would depend where I am going, when I am going and what I intend to do when I get there.  My options range from a wheeled garment bag to carry-on size shoulder bag. 

Having had bad experiences with cheap luggage in the past my preferred brands are Briggs and Riley and Eagle Creek but I am a frequent traveller for business so want products I can rely on.   

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

And I thought it was just me.  I have the exact same experience.  I think most of what we have now came from Costco.  

We have small carry ons and large (LARGE) suitcases.  For some reason we no longer have medium sized luggage (I think the kids absconded with them).  That will be our next luggage purchase.  

52 minutes ago, Notonboard said:

So I am thinking of just one carry on! I want this luggage to fit under the seat, be light weight and have spinning wheels.  The Delsey that I have claims to fit under the seat it does not!  Hard or soft what is your preference?

the only  thing I have found that fits under the seat is  a small tote bag

good luck

For anything more than an overnight, I almost always travel with the same luggage. A backpack that will fit under the seat and a roll-aboard suitcase for the overhead bin (or gate check on small planes). It doesn't matter whether the trip is 5 days or a month as I rarely pack more than 5 days worth of clothes. If the trip is longer, we get laundry done. My backpack is an Osprey. It serves both as my carry-on and a daypack when touring. 

Occasionally, I've taken a soft duffel that I check if the trip requires extra equipment or if I I'm planning on buying much but mostly I can fit everything into carry-on.

We carry a small bag for shoes, hats, etc....and a larger bag with our clothes...and I also have a bag for makeup and hair stuff...there really isn't a limit on the SHIP...it's airlines you have to worry about, with their restrictions.  If you're driving, the sky is the limit!

We have personally seen Long Shoremen throwing luggage 30+ feet to cement floors. Don't know if it was for fun or they were pissed at the pax. Our American Tourister metal framed case was destroyed. We use a large roller that is to heavy to throw and simple nylon jellyroll bags for soft items (if necessary). We also use a carry on for all cruise paperwork, medications, jewelry electronics and one change of clothes

On November 27, 2018 at 7:46 AM, zqvol said:

Whatever you get is going to get beaten up and my experience is that I get longer life out of the stuff I get at COSTCO than what I buy at luggage stores.

I agree. We have been around the world, sometimes quite remotely, with soft-sided inexpensive wheeled luggage bought on final sale at a closing catalog showroom 20 years ago.  Despite many miles, that lugguage is still doing its job.

We pack light and carry our own luggage whenever possible - that vastly reduces wear and tear. 

We always have sturdy inexpensive canvas backpacks that allows our hands to be free for stairs, hiking, etc. Mine also serves as a foot rest on planes and as a day pack.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Me...20" Eagle Creek roller .  DW:  20" Rick Steves  roller. Both carry on.

Seven days or seven weeks.  The only exception is automobile trips or if we are only going from home to ship and back with no extended pre or post cruise.

Edited by iancal

Here is what we found when shopping for bags.

The labels are meaningless.  Just about every bag we looked at had a 'newer, stronger, lighter' tag on it.  This was not so.  Many of the bags we looked at were not light, despite the label.

Carry on claim.  Some bags claimed to be carry on but their dimensions were not.  We found that some brands only measured to the bag, not inclusive of the wheels.  If you are looking for carry on and travel internationally then look for a bag that meets the international size requirement, not the simply the North American requirement.  There is a small difference but why buy the latter when you can get the former?

You really do need to measure and weigh and compare those weights  We have an older carry on that we no longer use for extended travel.  It is a great bag but it is too heavy.  Many airlines have a carry on weight restriction.

List price and supposed incredible percent of list are meaningless  It is almost like trying to buy a mattress at full price.  They are always advertised as being discounted 50-60 percent.  Really....who believes that?

When we buy carry on we are concerned about wheels (we like 2) and zippers.  SInce we very seldom check, and when we do it is usually a gate check because of the type of aircraft vs the carry on regs) we are not too worried about damage by the airlines.

Edited by iancal

My first 7 day cruise with DH (1980'a) we both had a 30"pieces of  luggage plus a over the shoulder soft train case. Whew!  Over the course of traveling, each of us  now manage  using a  21" wheelie  (meds and makeup use some of the storage) plus foldout oversize travel bag  for our caribbean trips and land vacations 

no matter where or how long we cruise plus land trip - and we've been gone 4 months - we each take a carry on and a backpack. and some of the european airlines weigh those carry ons - 8 kilos or 18 pounds max. we haven't checked a bag in 10 years. 

works for us but ymmv!