Norovirus spread and sea pass cards

lizzie_m

Sailing on the Oasis on Sunday and it occurred to me that we have to give our sea pass cards to the bartenders to scan.  Even if they are wearing gloves that only protects them.  They can still pass the virus onto the card.  We can be so careful about what we touch and washing our hands but these cards are a concern.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

4 minutes ago, lizzie_m said:

Sailing on the Oasis on Sunday and it occurred to me that we have to give our sea pass cards to the bartenders to scan.  Even if they are wearing gloves that only protects them.  They can still pass the virus onto the card.  We can be so careful about what we touch and washing our hands but these cards are a concern.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Yeah, I think you are. What protects you is frequent washing of your hands and the liberal use of Purell. Remember that bars are not the only place to have your card scanned....maybe spend less time in the bars? Have a great cruise and wash your hands a lot; it'll be fine......probably!:classic_cool:

Doug

• Like 1

And when you hand your Seapass card to take out or return a towel,  or buy something is one of the shops or  when you touch a chair to sit down or when or when ----

Yes I think you are being a bit paranoid

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

We were on the Serenade on the cruise just after their noro outbreak on the Christmas/New Years cruise. They handled the next cruise very well. Sanitize stations everywhere and employees making sure that everyone used them. They appear to have stopped the outbreak cold as it did not resurface on our cruise. The only slight inconvenience was not being able to serve yourself in the buffet for the first three days of the cruise. 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

And when you hand your Seapass card to take out or return a towel,  or buy something is one of the shops or  when you touch a chair to sit down or when or when ----

Yes I think you are being a bit paranoid

Lol- well, DH has gotten it twice while on vacation, and I’ve gotten it once.  I’m ok with being paranoid 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn

I had norovirus once on a cruise.  Managed through it for 2 days on my own with OTC meds.

The major reason for getting noro is in contaminated food. That is according to the CDC.  

That said, it is easy to catch all kinds of viruses in close quarters.  Here is the paranoid list of how to minimize risks:

Wipe down cabin touched surfaces, handles, etc with disinfecting wipes

Wash hands often, use hand sanitizer often, don't touch your face, don't eat finger foods with your fingers

Use paper towels to open rest room doors

Do not place hands on railings, I "hover" my hands or arm over railing instead

Buffet serving utensils! use hand santizer after every trip

Bartender/waiter  hands you a glass - sanitize hands and glass

I don't do all of this reliably.  But I have stayed healthy for many cruises now.

This is everyones responsiblity. It is sad to hear people in the airport talk about heading for a cruise and saying they have been sick for the past 20+ hours with vomiting and hope they don't have Noro. They laugh about telling the flight attendants that they were scared of flying and just anxious on their 2 hr fight. I wanted to scream! They were willingly and knowingly in a large crowded public place(airport), in a closed environment(plane), and were now going to go on a cruise! All the while subjecting many thousands of people with whatever it is they have! Please, if sick, stay home! 

Per the CDC:

Prevent the Spread of Norovirus

Millions of people get sick from norovirus each year. It causes sudden vomiting and diarrhea, and spreads quickly and easily to other people. If you think you have norovirus, stay hydrated and take steps to keep it from spreading.

Norovirus is very contagious. When you are sick with norovirus, you can shed billions of virus particles in your vomit and poop. It only takes a few of these particles to make someone sick.

You are most contagious

• when you have symptoms of norovirus illness, especially vomiting
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

However, you may still be able to spread norovirus for two weeks or more after you feel better.

You Can Spread Norovirus in Many Ways

If you are sick with norovirus, you can spread it to other people by having close contact, such as by caring for, preparing food, or sharing food or eating utensils with them. You can also spread norovirus to others by contaminating surfaces.

Take Steps to Keep Norovirus from Spreading

• Wash your hands. 
    Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers, and always before eating or preparing food.
  • Handle and prepare food safely.
    Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and cook oysters and other shellfish thoroughly before eating.

If you are sick with norovirus, do not prepare food for others while you have symptoms and for at least 2 days after symptoms go away.

• Clean and disinfect surfaces.
    After you vomit or have diarrhea, immediately clean up the entire area using a bleach-based household cleaner as directed on the product label. If no such cleaning product is available, you can use a solution made with 5 tablespoons to 1.5 cups of household bleach per 1 gallon of water.
  • Wash laundry thoroughly.
    Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may have vomit or poop on it. Handle items carefully—try not to agitate them. If available, wear disposable gloves to handle soiled clothing or linens, and wash your hands after. Wash soiled items with detergent and hot water at the maximum available cycle length then machine dry them at the highest heat setting.
  • Norovirus illness is often called stomach flu or food poisoning.
  • Norovirus is a germ that can cause foodborne illness (food poisoning). It is the most common germ that causes foodborne illness in the United States.
  • Norovirus and flu may share some symptoms, but the flu is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus, not norovirus.

Norovirus Symptoms

Most people who get sick from norovirus will have these symptoms:

• diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • nausea
  • stomach pain

Some people may also have a fever, headache, or body aches.

Norovirus can be more serious for young children, the elderly, and people with other health conditions. It can lead to severe dehydration, hospitalization and even death. To learn how to stay hydrated see norovirus treatment.

Most people sick with norovirus get better in 1 to 3 days.

Norovirus is Common

19 to 21 million people get sick with norovirus each year in the United States. A person will get norovirus about 5 times during their lifetime. People of all ages can get norovirus.

You can get norovirus any time of the year, it is most common from November to April when outbreaks occur. Learn more about U.S. Trends and Outbreaks.

• Thanks 1

Oh and no one needs to feel like they are OCD, paranoid or strange when it comes to protecting themselves and their family from those that just don't give a flip about anyone but themselves. 

Bring your wipes, and spray for the cabin. 

Use your sanitizer around ship and in the buffet and MDR.

Most importantly, wash your hands every chance you get. 

Do your best to prevent illness and have a good time. 

Parents can teach their little kiddos to wash hands and keep them away from their face. 

• Thanks 2

Even gloves don't protect you, if you touch your face with those gloves on!  So silly, the "glove" thing.

Germs are everywhere....simply don't give them entry into your body via your mouth, nose and eyes!  Yes...eyes are also an entry point.  Do not touch your face, and you hands can be covered with crap...and you still won't catch it!

Most wipes and hand sanitizers do NOT kill norovirus.  They are good for a lot of other germs like the common cold, but you need a much more hardcore disinfectant to kill noro.  Handwashing with warm, soapy water for a minute (not a quick couple of seconds) is your best bet.  Bleach wipes help, but should not be used on your skin and even those don't necessarily kill noro.  Feel better now?  😛  And if someone coughs or sneezes in your direction, not much you can do there.  

Edited by rockmom

Several cruises back we had a cabin that looked directly down on the gangway. Sat on the balcony and watched cruisers returning to the ship with arms full of junk they'd bought.  Was shocked to see how many would temporarily put their sea pass in their mouth to free up their hands to dig around in their bags/purse for something.  I quit counting after about 30 occurances.  I'm not sure that is the most sanitary thing to do considering where that thing has been...           

11 hours ago, lizzie_m said:

Just stay home. Seriously, if this is what you worry about. Traveling might not be for you.

You can touch norovirus with your bare hands and not get sick.  All you have to do is WASH YOUR HANDS before you touch food or your mouth or anything going into your mouth.  

You don't get sick from getting the virus on your skin -- you get sick from getting the virus inside your gastrointestinal tract.  Touch whatever you want.... just wash your hands before you touch your food, a stick of gum, a mint, an ice cream cone, dental floss, etc.

19 hours ago, lizzie_m said:

This is a good theory, I think you may be on to something. What we do - avoid the hand rails on the stairs. We never take the elevators at all. Of course, hand sanitizer use, big time, always washing our hands.
....AND after reading the comments, SNARK ALERTS. I think adding a SNARK ALERT button to the "like" feature is a great idea.

Edited by johnjen