Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've never had a decent meal in Tuscan and quit going.  Qsine was fun with a group.  LPC does not appeal to me at all.  And I lament the passing of the lovely fine dining venues on the M class ships.  Oh well.  Apparently I'm not their target demographic.

On another note, did you notice all the Kelly Hoppen pillows in the chairs on the new Millie sunset bar area?  The one with no roof?  What the H are they going to do with them when it rains???

Maybe they should put a big canopy up to protect them!  😉 This is at the top of my Wish List for the Summit not that it matters.

6 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

Maybe they should put a big canopy up to protect them!  😉 This is at the top of my Wish List for the Summit not that it matters.

Hi Sue!  I'm booked on the Summit Bermuda, Newport, and Charleston cruise next May 9.  That will probably be my first experience of a refurbished M class ship.  The Edge does not appeal.  I absolutely want a real balcony and they appear to be pretty much nonexistent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi Sue!  I'm booked on the Summit Bermuda, Newport, and Charleston cruise next May 9.  That will probably be my first experience of a refurbished M class ship.  The Edge does not appeal.  I absolutely want a real balcony and they appear to be pretty much nonexistent.

Hi Linda,  I agree about the Edge.  We have am aft Aqua b2b on the Summit in November and I'm really not happy about having less privacy on our veranda without the canopy.  Even if we had a different cabin we're going to miss having tables in the shade at the Sunset Bar.  This will be my retirement cruise.  Woohoo!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've never had a decent meal in Tuscan and quit going.  Qsine was fun with a group.  LPC does not appeal to me at all.  And I lament the passing of the lovely fine dining venues on the M class ships.  Oh well.  Apparently I'm not their target demographic.

On another note, did you notice all the Kelly Hoppen pillows in the chairs on the new Millie sunset bar area?  The one with no roof?  What the H are they going to do with them when it rains???

I can agree with you about the restaurants, though over the years I think I've had only a couple good meals in Tuscan. Much prefer Murano.

There are Kelly Hoppen cushions and pillows all over the outside decks on EDGE, including  the Sunset Bar, and when they get wet and you sit on them even though they seem dry, you still get up with a wet bottom. Learned the hard way. But remember, she has never sailed on a ship and it is not supposed to rain! 

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have to agree 100% on Tuscan and Qsine.   Even with unlimited free Specialty Dining in a RS we skip both and dine in Luminea instead.

3 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

We have am aft Aqua b2b on the Summit in November and I'm really not happy about having less privacy on our veranda without the canopy.  

We will not have any privacy on our balcony either or shade.  We are in the sky suite attached to the Penthouse on Summit and the pictures coming from Millennium show that they took the canopy out that was directly above our balcony.  Maybe these issues will be resolved later on in the future but sure doesn't help cruisers booked on sailings right after the drydock.  Congrats on the retirement.

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to agree 100% on Tuscan and Qsine.   Even with unlimited free Specialty Dining in a RS we skip both and dine in Luminea instead.

I sail on Summit quite frequently and have always gotten excellent food and service in Tuscan.  We usually go to Tuscan once each week while cruising on Summit.  Qsine --- not particularly fond of the food or the atmosphere!  But once night a week we usually skip Luminae and go to Tuscan.  Plus, to be perfectly honest with you, I've grown a little tired of the Luminae menu.  I know we can order from other menus while eating in Luminae, but I do think it's time that Celebrity revamps the Luminae menu.  Sorry, got off topic.  I'm looking forward to my June sailing on Summit to see the refurbished ship (may even pop on in May for a 7 night cruise just to check the ship out!)

• Like 1

They will probably store them in near by cabins.:classic_biggrin:  We too miss Muranos on the M class ships.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

Is that May 2019 or  May 2020. We're booked on the one in May 2020.  I believe we sailed on the same ABC itin on Infinity....

Edited by hcat

25 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I sail on Summit quite frequently and have always gotten excellent food and service in Tuscan.  We usually go to Tuscan once each week while cruising on Summit.  Qsine --- not particularly fond of the food or the atmosphere!  But once night a week we usually skip Luminae and go to Tuscan.  Plus, to be perfectly honest with you, I've grown a little tired of the Luminae menu.  I know we can order from other menus while eating in Luminae, but I do think it's time that Celebrity revamps the Luminae menu.  Sorry, got off topic.  I'm looking forward to my June sailing on Summit to see the refurbished ship (may even pop on in May for a 7 night cruise just to check the ship out!)

Not off topic at all.   I agree that the Luminae menu get's a little old especially when doing B2B's and B2B2B's.  With the combination of menus I can generally e very satisfied.   I have never been to Tuscan on Summit but been on Millennium, Silhouette, Reflection and Infinity.    I found the food good but service was terrible of 4 out of 5 visits so just gave up on it.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was also a fan of the French Murano style restaurants on the M-Class.   Some staff said it was eliminated to "attract a younger demographics" who found Murano stuffy.    I would have to go with that as an explanation rather than the cost as Murano has remained on all of the S-Class ships. 

Even when traveling on an M-Class in a Royal with unlimited free specialty we rarely go Tuscan and almost never go to Qsine.

As a member of the “younger demographic” (30’s), I really wish the M-class ships had Murano on them :classic_mellow:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonderful to hear from a connoisseur of fine dining.   

I love French cuisine, especially good French pastries. The Kouign Amman from Pâtisserie Au Kouign Amann in Montreal might be the best thing I’ve ever had. 

Thank you so much for posting this!  It's quite exciting to follow all of the Summit's revolution activities.  We first sailed on the Summit this past Christmas and booked again for next Christmas and I can't wait to see all of the changes!  

Thanks for the photo.  I remember how wonderful it was to have the violinist and/or other strings playing in the MDR.  I miss it, too.  We're on the May 26th cruise after refurb.  If we don't like the new rooms (and continued reductions in luxury), we may go back to sailing on Queen Mary 2 and other Cunard ships.  When we first switched from QM2 to the Summit, there were many similar "luxury" items and the ambiance was very similar.  Unfortunately, Celebrity's "luxury" ambiance is fast disappearing.  We have continued sailing on the Summit because we live in North Jersey and the Bayonne port is very convenient.