The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I don't know, I can see a mix maybe? I wonder what the overall preference will end up being.  I want to try it, but given everything that's been shown, given same price, pretty sure we would like the IV better than standard balcony.  Don't like direct sunlight, don't get room service. having a bed near and being able to have the iv open sounds wonderful.  

In any event, if they want to attract Chinese and Asian passengers to the non-asian cruises, IV's will help.  Asians hate direct sun.

Yes, I could see a mix: a little more expensive than an OV but less than a proper balcony.

5 minutes ago, villauk said:

But it’s not the same as going out on a balcony and feeling the breeze all around you. Surely it’s just like sitting next to your window at home when it’s wide open?

Again, perception vs. reality. We were on the starboard side, 9266. With the window open and the ship moving, you get a very nice flow of fresh air. If you want your hair messed up, sit on the right side -  if not, sit on the left side. The ship is very aerodynamic in this respect, so there is no fear of pillows or towels blowing out...just a very nice breeze. And very private.

I hope they don’t modify the IV cabins to allow the air conditioning on when the window is open!    How often do you do that at home?    We grew up in a household where we were reminded that our father didn’t work for the electric company and we were not to air condition or heat the outside!   No open doors or windows while the heat or air conditioning was turned on.   Surprised anyone would want it otherwise.     

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I hope they don’t modify the IV cabins to allow the air conditioning on when the window is open!    How often do you do that at home?    We grew up in a household where we were reminded that our father didn’t work for the electric company and we were not to air condition or heat the outside!   No open doors or windows while the heat or air conditioning was turned on.   Surprised anyone would want it otherwise.     

Not sure you’re understanding the problem people have with IV and air conditioning. In a traditional balcony stateroom, one person can be out on the balcony enjoying the sun/heat and the other person may be in the stateroom with the a/c on. As long as the balcony door is closed the a/c will function. This isn’t possible in an IV stateroom. Opening the window turns off the a/c, and closing the bi-fold doors does not seal off the veranda from the rest of the stateroom or allow the a/c to be on. Therefore, in an IV room you cannot have one person outside and the other inside. You’re either both closed up with the a/c or both sweating with the outside air filling the room without a/c. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

Not sure you’re understanding the problem people have with IV and air conditioning. In a traditional balcony stateroom, one person can be out on the balcony enjoying the sun/heat and the other person may be in the stateroom with the a/c on. As long as the balcony door is closed the a/c will function. This isn’t possible in an IV stateroom. Opening the window turns off the a/c, and closing the bi-fold doors does not seal off the veranda from the rest of the stateroom or allow the a/c to be on. Therefore, in an IV room you cannot have one person outside and the other inside. You’re either both closed up with the a/c or both sweating with the outside air filling the room without a/c. 

In addition, if you want to spray on sunscreen or bug repellant while in an IV, you'll be inhaling the fumes in your room, or annoying fellow passengers at the pool deck.

The bi fold  doors are cumbersome to close and you have to move the  chairs to do it ..  We tried it and decided to keep them open permanently.

The space is  just too small to sit in with the doors closed.  We enjoyed our IV as is,  but did not have issues of one of us wanting to be inside and the other one out..we just accepted it for what it was..

It was cleaner, less windy and  and  drier than a reg balc.. 

Edited by hcat

44 minutes ago, villauk said:

But it’s not the same as going out on a balcony and feeling the breeze all around you. Surely it’s just like sitting next to your window at home when it’s wide open? Look at hotels, you always pay more if you choose a room with a proper balcony compared to a room with a window - it’s a selling point.

Yes, me too.

First, to be truthful we have not sailed on the Edge.

We started back in 2001 in a suite on the Zenith (stateroom 1008) There were no verandas on the zenith.

Our next 2 dozen cruises have all been in staterooms with verandas aside from one in an inside (last minute booking to sail with friends).

We earned our Elite status on X in a few years booking staterooms from Royal suites down to afts with extended verandas.

We switched to Royal Caribbean on and off and then mostly on due to itineraries offered and time of year schedules.

We again chose only suites or extended verandas on Royal and quickly earned Diamond status independent of our X status.

Obviously we love the verandas and do use them more possibly, than many others.

Our last cruise in February this year was on The Anthem of The Seas and we stayed in a cabin with the largest of the angled verandas that looked towards the front of the ship.

The veranda was huge with 2 reclining chairs, 2 footstools and an adequate table for drinks or what not.

For the entire 12 days there wasn't one that I can think of where there wasn't a period of full sun balanced with times of partial to full shade. There was one day of passing showers where we sat out and enjoyed the warm Caribbean air and still kept dry enjoying drinks on the veranda.

My wife is a vacation sun worshiper and enjoys her time in the sun whereas I manage to get enough for just enough tan to prove to our neighbors that I didn't stay at home for my vacation.

Our verandas offer chair hog free time in the sun, time where we can both be together with her in the full sun and I in partial shade if I want or both pretending we are stretched out in the Caribbean broiler..

We are always just seconds away from anything we need like room service, our ice bucket, fridge or bathroom. 

Sorry but there is NO way an IV can offer what our TRUE verandas have offered us on our many cruises, almost all of which had at least two full length loungers, drink or dining table, fresh air, breezes both day and night and all that separated from our spacious staterooms (TINY BATH HOWEVER on the Anthem) by a door and a light proof curtain and some with sheers.   

As far as the rest of the Edge goes I am sure we could avoid what we wanted to and still find what we enjoy on her just like on Royal's Anthem.

Then comes the price issue. Our cruise was a pittance compared to what 12 nights on the Edge would cost in a room with a motorized picture window and two CHAIRS that would be impossible to recline in let alone take a nap or get a full body sun tan.

PS. Dining in The Grande dining room was a wonderful experience with decor reminiscent to the original Olympic dining room on X when specialty dining was truly an event. Food was very good but the menu wasn't as varied as in the past either on Royal or X.  Buffet was the same as on X and was fine. Boarding from Cape Liberty and returning back was a matter of simply walking on and off with NO waiting, possibly aided by facial recognition on our return, which took 3 seconds.

If the next in the build offered a deck or two of the more traditional verandas it would be tempting but until then it's a no go for us.

Just like Dynamic Dining there were those who loved it and others who didn't and it was phased out.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 8:52 AM, Silkroad said:

Neither I, nor several others on this forum, think it’s a “stretch” to say the finished balcony appears smaller than the early CAD videos (including some who have already sailed in IV cabins). Ditto for thinking the AC would work the way normal balconies do (if one goes onto the balcony, and shuts the balcony doors, the room AC remains on & the room remains cool). My memory of the videos is that the human figures didn’t need to move furniture to open or close the bi-fold doors. They also had plenty of room to walk around the furniture. BTW, I agree that the term “bi-fold doors” is cumbersome, but that’s been the term used on the forum, perhaps to empathize that these are not typical balconies or balcony doors. 

My point is that many of us watched the build obsessively, and hunted down everything we could find about Edge (and shared it on CC) before booking. We certainly did our “homework”, but those of us who booked early took a risk on a product that wasn’t yet complete (though we also got the best fares). Experienced people know marketing fantasies don’t often reflect reality, and experienced travelers know how to adapt to reality and have a great time. That said, I certainly appreciate the comments and balanced reviews written by people who have sailed Edge. Celebrity has already made some changes in response to constructive passenger feedback, and hopefully, they’re not done. When I board Edge, in 24 days, I’ll benefit from that feedback.

Edge is a beautiful new ship, filled with with fabulous art, and some compelling design features in her public spaces. I’m sure I’ll have a wonderful time. The IV cabin and bathroom look lovely, but I’m not certain I’ll want to book another one. That will depend on how often I find the IV window locked (when no window washing is in progress), and how annoying I find the AC/veranda issue. Regardless, I shall add my review to the mix, though it may not be live😎

On this topic, I've been on a few cruises or two where I WISHED they would be more obsessive about cleaning the cabin balcony glass or ports.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2019 at 8:52 AM, Silkroad said:

Neither I, nor several others on this forum, think it’s a “stretch” to say the finished balcony appears smaller than the early CAD videos (including some who have already sailed in IV cabins). Ditto for thinking the AC would work the way normal balconies do (if one goes onto the balcony, and shuts the balcony doors, the room AC remains on & the room remains cool). My memory of the videos is that the human figures didn’t need to move furniture to open or close the bi-fold doors. They also had plenty of room to walk around the furniture. BTW, I agree that the term “bi-fold doors” is cumbersome, but that’s been the term used on the forum, perhaps to empathize that these are not typical balconies or balcony doors. 

My point is that many of us watched the build obsessively, and hunted down everything we could find about Edge (and shared it on CC) before booking. We certainly did our “homework”, but those of us who booked early took a risk on a product that wasn’t yet complete (though we also got the best fares). Experienced people know marketing fantasies don’t often reflect reality, and experienced travelers know how to adapt to reality and have a great time. That said, I certainly appreciate the comments and balanced reviews written by people who have sailed Edge. Celebrity has already made some changes in response to constructive passenger feedback, and hopefully, they’re not done. When I board Edge, in 24 days, I’ll benefit from that feedback.

Edge is a beautiful new ship, filled with with fabulous art, and some compelling design features in her public spaces. I’m sure I’ll have a wonderful time. The IV cabin and bathroom look lovely, but I’m not certain I’ll want to book another one. That will depend on how often I find the IV window locked (when no window washing is in progress), and how annoying I find the AC/veranda issue. Regardless, I shall add my review to the mix, though it may not be live😎

On this topic, I've been on a few cruises or two where I WISHED they would be more obsessive about cleaning the cabin balcony glass or ports.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, villauk said:

having a bed near and being able to have the iv open sounds wonderful.  

Don’t forget that the Captain can close the IV window in inclement conditions, SO NO BALCONY FACILITIES.

11 hours ago, villauk said:

But it’s not the same as going out on a balcony and feeling the breeze all around you. Surely it’s just like sitting next to your window at home when it’s wide open? Look at hotels, you always pay more if you choose a room with a proper balcony compared to a room with a window - it’s a selling point.

Yes, me too.

6 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Don’t forget that the Captain can close the IV window in inclement conditions, SO NO BALCONY FACILITIES.

Jackie,

My post is above and I didn’t post the lines that you quoted in your reply? Unsure who did, but it definitely wasn’t from my post. We do not like the IV system and wouldn’t consider booking them over a proper balcony.

Edited by villauk

On 4/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, UnorigionalName said:

I think it's that while a wide variety of people like it and give positive reviews about the Edge, the negative reviews come from a fairly narrow demographic.  So it's not most the elite+ members don't like it, but that most people who don't like it are elite+ members.

I remember looking at many of the negative reviews and the common denominator were the folks who were on the 3 day preview cruises??? Not sure why this was the case.......

1 minute ago, Tarwood3 said:

I remember looking at many of the negative reviews and the common denominator were the folks who were on the 3 day preview cruises??? Not sure why this was the case.......

They were on the first few cruises on a new ship, and the first in her class, so the crew was still finding their rhythm, I’m sure. There were also punch list issues to fix (similar to issues that pop up during the six months after a new home build). Personally, except for a few quite balanced & comprehensive reviews of the early cruises, I gave later reviews more weight when I made my decision between final payment & cancellation.

7 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

They were on the first few cruises on a new ship, and the first in her class, so the crew was still finding their rhythm, I’m sure. There were also punch list issues to fix (similar to issues that pop up during the six months after a new home build). Personally, except for a few quite balanced & comprehensive reviews of the early cruises, I gave later reviews more weight when I made my decision between final payment & cancellation.

I forgot to include in my post that we were on the December 9th maiden voyage and thought things seemed great.  Luminae was a bit slow for food to come out the first 2 days but after that , we didnt really notice anything particularly off on the ship....so I guess thats why I was surprised by the negative comments just the cruise before.  Oh well...as long as folks are enjoying it now and more realistic reviews are being published now!

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 1:28 PM, phoenix_dream said:

When the prices come down comparable to other Celebrity ships, I will certainly give Edge class a try.  That said, after 50 Celebrity cruises there are certain things I have come to really enjoy on my sailings, and some are compromised based on reviews I've read.  Go ahead and flame me if you want to - no, I have not sailed Edge yet and I am sure there are some things I will like about it and it will be fun to try something new.   But there are some known facts I do not need to have sailed her to be aware of and have an opinion on.  If you think that makes me a negative Nelly so be it.  But facts are facts, unless pictures are lying.

DH and I tend to be cabin rats - love to spend lots of time sitting out on our balcony enjoying the ocean and reading/relaxing.  From what I have read and seen about the furniture (modern design, seat not adjustable, no footstools, smaller table), I am not sure that will be as enjoyable going forward.  Common sense.  I also think the infinite balconies, while innovative, were not really developed with a real passenger's comfort in mind.  Form over function from what I have read.  Windows sometimes being controlled by management, no curtain to keep the sun out if someone still sleeping, room getting warmer when the window is open, room space smaller to allow a bigger bathroom (a plus) and a bigger bed (not needed).  Facts.  We occasionally sail three to a cabin with our adult son.  I don't need (or want) a bigger bed and smaller floor space. And the last thing I need in those cases is a smaller closet - we barely fit our clothes in before when there were three of us.   Call me a dinosaur, but the library was one of my favorite places on the ship.  Gone.   I love the look and atmosphere of the classic ocean liners - warm, welcoming.  The current ships embody that, with a modern edge.  I have never, nor will I ever, prefer what I consider 'cold' modern design.  That would of course not spoil my cruise, but it is not my preference.

I have sailed 6 Celebrity cruises in the past four months.  I have spoken to numerous fellow cruisers who have sailed on Edge to ask how they enjoyed it, hoping to hear good things versus reviews I have read.  To a person they were not very happy with the ship.  Many stated they would never sail her again.  I did not meet one, not one, who really liked the ship (although some were more neutral about it than others who really disliked it).

Did Celebrity miss the boat on these ships?  Of course it is too soon to know for sure.  But I really don't think just putting a new and more modern design out there is going to bring in the rich Millennials they are aiming for.  How many Millennials do you know that have never cruised, have heard about this ship, and are jumping at the chance to sail her?  I'm sure there are some - I personally do not know of any (and with a son of 32 temporarily living at home I have a chance to interact with many of them).  What I think Celebrity has done is turn off many of its loyal customers.  Our opinions get disregarded regularly, and yet we are the ones filling the other ships.  Those of us 40ish to 70 likely have at least 20 more years of cruising to come (God willing) and some more than that.  Many of us are, like myself, very, very loyal to Celebrity.  Did Celebrity make changes that appeal to us?  For the most part, it seems not.  If that proves to be the case, it seems to me that is one big, big mistake.  Time will tell.

I am 28 and it appears that they are trying to make the Edge like a W hotel whilst still appealing to the Ritz Calton guest, this is very hard to achieve. The argument is would a Millennial sail on Celebrity rather than RCCL?  

I am a Millennial and I would happily sail on both but I feel Celebrity gives a more polished experience however on the flip side RCCL is generally more of a fun experience and has a much younger average age. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Static events said:

I am 28 and it appears that they are trying to make the Edge like a W hotel whilst still appealing to the Ritz Calton guest, this is very hard to achieve. The argument is would a Millennial sail on Celebrity rather than RCCL?  

I am a Millennial and I would happily sail on both but I feel Celebrity gives a more polished experience however on the flip side RCCL is generally more of a fun experience and has a much younger average age. 

Celebrity Solstice class ships (Not been on Edge) is nothing like any Ritz Carlton I've stayed at .  Ritz Carlton is a luxury hotel brand.  Celebrity terms there experience "Modern Luxury" which I think in reality is closer to Marriott - good 4-5 star standards but not really luxury.

1 hour ago, DYKWIA said:

Celebrity Solstice class ships (Not been on Edge) is nothing like any Ritz Carlton I've stayed at .  Ritz Carlton is a luxury hotel brand.  Celebrity terms there experience "Modern Luxury" which I think in reality is closer to Marriott - good 4-5 star standards but not really luxury.

Okay point taken and I agree but it was just to make an exaggerated point.  The Edge is nothing like a W hotel 🙂 

7 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Classic Celebrity reminds me of a Springhill Marriott, more 3 - 3.5 stars.  Ritz Carlton has their own cruising yachts in the works. 

We said on the Edge and thought it was a wonderful ship in general. No doubt they will makes so e changes.  I am sure they are Loki g at many options on the nit so popular Balcony cabins.  

If if I was them on the Apex I would take about half of the balcony cabins and replace the folding doors with standard glass balcony doors and curtains and give guests the option to just leave th window down like a normal balcony.  Call it a different class and see what cruisers think.  

On 4/1/2019 at 10:53 PM, Fairsky84 said:

I’m wondering what others think about the future of the Edge-class. Clearly, Celebrity took a lot of risks with this new class of ships, and not all of thier innovations have been well received. The goal was to appeal to new (younger) cruisers and that means possibly alienating existing (older) customers. I’m worried they may have only succeeded at driving away their loyal customers without really attracting the younger ones.

Some Edge innovations will be easy to fix. Like the focus on cell phones and some furnishing choices. Others will not. Like the infinite verandas. Will Celebrity make changes on the upcoming Edge class ships still under construction (Apex, Opus, and Luxe)? Is a fundamental rethink of the cabin design with a return to traditional balconies even possible? And does anyone else think the Flying Carpet is unlikely to be a feature on all future Edge class ships? 

Edge may represent the first time a new class from RCI/Celebrity has missed the mark. Going all the way back to Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas, company has been known for real design innovations that change the industry. I’ll always appreciate their vision and risk-taking. But Edge feels like a swing and miss to me.

Having sailed on the Edge, I agree that the furniture needs adjustment.  Heard the useless rocking chairs were removed from Sky suites and tables for in suite dining now available.

We boarded and were first in an Infinite Veranda- it wasn't good- too many flaws- as said by many it is a outside cabin with a window that opens (sometimes) with flawed air-conditioning system.  It needs to have the price greatly reduced.  We were fortunate enough to upgrade to a sky suite after we boarded and the S1 was so much better and made our experience so much better.  The Martini bar is a shell of itself and that area of the ship a disappointment.  However, many nice additions to the ship.  We really enjoyed a few of the speciality restaurants and the suite deck.  The shops, while high end are really nice.  Regarding the restaurants, the outdoor lawn grill club type restaurant a miss as no shade and very windy-but that can be covered and improved.   IMO Eden restaurant a miss- silly and the food not good- The others good. We dined twice in the regular dining rooms and like the idea that you could, if you have select dining, dine in a different one nightly.  Luminae missed the mark- as it is located far from any MDR and the dining choices limited.  Heard that was improved now.

The magic carpet also has issues, doesn't always work- and not the place to be in the wind.    Entertainment- same fair entertainment as other celebrity ships.  Staff was great- Blu is located in an interior hallway- no windows-  The AQ people we spoke to were very disappointed.  The Alcoves were also a waste- located in a public area, no privacy and super expensive for a lounge chair- the small alcoves were really just a more comfortable seat- tiny .  I would rather get up early and reserve a lounge chair in the shade, near the pool then waste money on a reserved space which is really all it is.

While the ship didn't rate 100% , we are booked again on her.  We actually had two future cruises on the ship and cancelled one for a Royal Caribbean Oasis class ship which will work better for us.  The biggest problem with the ship is the pricing.  Infinite verandas should be priced slightly above windowed cabins.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

I think AQ Class is a bit overpriced as well.  We were Ok with the IV and  liked the thermal suite and relaxation room amenities but thought BLU was a let down.

The  BLU location is  through a dark "art forest"  hallway which gets tiresome after the first few trips through.   BLU has no view and the outdoor seats are a joke , yet counted as available seating capacity.  Busy times there is a line,  very crowded and slow kitchen.  Poor acoustics  in many seating areas.  Too bad...food and menu are very good, servers excellent...but just not a great BLU restaurant experience.  Should have a lower fare due to that negative,,,,,

Edited by hcat

On 4/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Luvcrusn said:

I haven't read about a scent in Eden before. What type of scent? Is it floral? Is it a heavy or only slight scent? I sometimes suffer from allergic symptoms to the perfumes people wear even if they're lightly applied and am concerned that the scent may make that space one we'd not be able to enjoy. 

We also were put off by the smell in Eden. Whatever it is (maybe an after-scent from the smoke that's part of the "show"), my husband is allergic to it. If we weren't in a suite and didn't have use of the Retreat lounge, we would have have few options for somewhere to hang out. The new martini bar area is big/bright/loud.

I was on one of the 2 night Edge preview sailings in a concierge IV cabin. I was not a fan on the IV cabin at all...the sailing I was on was actually cool so we were able to leave the window open without problem but first thing I said was ....this isn't going to work well on warm Caribbean sailings. The IV balcony IMHO is just a glorified oceanview cabin with a window that opens....NOT a true balcony cabin at all.  Sailing in a cooler climate or sailing Edge in Alaska...maybe. I had free run of the entire ship and what I came away with was that if I were sailing the Caribbean in suite class I would maybe consider the Edge again price depending. As far as the IV....I wasn't a fan at all and wouldn't want to sail again in this category for the Caribbean. I also wasn't a fan at all of what the did with the martini bar, Sunset Bar, Blue or Eden and wasn't impressed with the Magic Carpet...think it's a bit of an eye sore actually. I am a big fan of S class and just came back from a 7 night Equinox sailing in Aqua class and it again confirmed my opinions of the Edge.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2

We  sailed 2 weeks ago. Beautiful ship, food was good.

Our main complaint was the ship rocking when seas were flat. Everyone we spoke to that week were very annoyed. Our other complain was IL Baccio coffee shop. We always love it but we were disappointed. Coffee was not good most days- we drink specialty coffees twice per day. Workers were not friendly which in past Celebrity ships they are very attentive.  Concerned to go on Apex.  We love celebrity but not rushing to  book Edge again.