What is the Most Expensive or Memorable Item You Have Ever Lost on a Cruise?

Lastdance

My DH list his Breitling watch that I gave him 27 years ago on San Miguel Island, Azores...it wan’t just the cost, but the sentimental value, the kind that leaves a little mark when you try to look at the time and then remember it again and again.  Of course, it was just a watch, but also a piece of time and memories...

What have you lost that you still remember...where did you lose it?

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

So sorry that you didn't find the watch .... 😞

Thanks, VT...I think this cruise has given my DH and me the ability to see how resilient we are...Our vet bill was over $2,000, but she is doing better, so that money went to a great cause, although we do not plan to cruise for a while; unfortunately, I will be canceling my Nov. TA, after that who knows, but our dog and watch made us realize that we had to make a change, at least for now!  Thanks so much for all your encouragement and thoughts of kindness!

9 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Thanks, VT...I think this cruise has given my DH and me the ability to see how resilient we are...Our vet bill was over $2,000, but she is doing better, so that money went to a great cause, although we do not plan to cruise for a while; unfortunately, I will be canceling my Nov. TA, after that who knows, but our dog and watch made us realize that we had to make a change, at least for now!  Thanks so much for all your encouragement and thoughts of kindness!

Sorry to hear about you canceling the Nov cruise but understand. Sometimes life sends you curve balls and you need to change course for a while. I am so glad your little buddy  is better and will give you a good greeting when you return.

Hopefully we will meet some day, whether on land or sea!!🙂

Edited by vtcruising

We bought some very neat outside hanging light covers in Turkey. Neat and Unique. I put them under the bed for safe keeping......and left them there. Ouch. 

Check All Over!

Den

Several years ago, we were on a cruise that stopped in Labadee, Haiti...

My wife had a diamond ring with her (luckily not her engagement ring, but a pretty costly piece of jewelry nonetheless)...

For some foolish reason, she thought it was safer to wear it than leave it in the cabin...

...and while swimming, it slipped off her finger and was gone...

I always say that, some day in the distant future, archaeologists will find it while digging along the Haitian Coast...and come to the conclusion that the inhabitants there lived an impoverished, subsistence level existence...but had exquisite jewelry!

Since then, of course, she has learned to never even pack expensive jewelry for a cruise...

My first 14 day cruise was a honeymoon/one year anniversary celebration. On return home I noticed I did not have my custom-made tanzanite necklace my grandmother had given me or tanzanite earrings my parents had given me. For years and years I regretted that I must have left them in the safe on that cruise. I wore those pieces at my wedding and could not believe I could be so careless. When visiting family I was always thankful no one asked about the necklace. And when traveling would double then triple check our rooms before leaving them.

Then, within the past month, we are cleaning my husband's bureau and there is a small jewelry gift box. The pieces were inside! My past self had taken the advice to not travel with expensive pieces and to not leave them behind in the blatantly obvious jewelry box in case someone broke into the house while we were on travel. 

It took years, but I thought I would share a happy ending to things lost on cruises.

I have, however, lost to the wind and over the side of a catamaran, a Celebrity hat I won from a Celebrity Life Activity--my ponytail was not long enough.

• Like 4

The most expensive thing I lost was my 450 dollar prescription eyeglasses . We were in puerto Vallarta on the local bus I put on my sunglasses and put my regular glasses in the case and in my pocket 

We got off walk around I went to reach  to get me glasses oops not there 

I had to wear my prescription sunglasses the rest of the cruise we still had five more days 

I always say hope they went to good use 

But now I always take a back up pair of glasses on a cruise 👓🕶

Husband lost his wedding ring snorkelling in the Red Sea, on a Thomson/Marella now cruise. 

He was taking a big part in his brother's wedding soon after returning, so we stopped on the way there and he bought a cheap gold ring from Argos- and he's still wearing that!

He's the sort of man who'd be quite happy with a brass ring from a £1 shop!  😄🤷‍♂️

"What is the most expensive or memorable item you have lost on a cruise?"  My sanity!   It is true.  On a ship, especially with lots of wonderful sea days, I become comatose and addicted to doing absolutely nothing :).  No need to clean up the cabin, help prepare meals, clean the dishes, etc.  At times DW and I do not even bother reading the daily schedule since we do absolutely NOTHING!  Yes, that is insanity.

Hank

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crazy4tweety said:

The most expensive thing I lost was my 450 dollar prescription eyeglasses . We were in puerto Vallarta on the local bus I put on my sunglasses and put my regular glasses in the case and in my pocket 

We got off walk around I went to reach  to get me glasses oops not there 

I had to wear my prescription sunglasses the rest of the cruise we still had five more days 

I always say hope they went to good use 

But now I always take a back up pair of glasses on a cruise 👓🕶

Hi

For some time now, I have been leaving an older pair of prescription glasses in my car. If I break or lose a pair while on vacation, it might be a nuisance, but I need them to drive home. It doesn't matter if I am at the airport or the grocery store. 

I had bought my wife a Broach on a cruise which cost around $400 (probably $200 too much). I had given it to her for our Anniversary, we had some photos taken on the way to dinner and she had it for approximately 3 hours before we discovered it had been lost. We went back to the dining room but no one had found it. It was never handed in. My wife was very distraught. It was the last piece of jewellery I have ever purchased on a ship.

Wow Mic, that stinks. Reminds me off a very nice pinky ring my Dad gave me that I converted to a Mothers ring for my wife. One Christmas our son (around 10) gave her a fun ring he purchased. She took off the Mothers ring, put his on and then the Mothers ring got thrown away with all of the wrapping paper. 

I have not lost anything yet. RINGS, ladies and men, take them off, leave them in the safe if you are going swimming, or snorkeling in the ocean. Your hands shrink. Your ring slips off. Goes for any water swam in. My Dad had lost three that way, two waterskiing and one in Hawaii.

I had a ring that was given to me by my father and that was given to him when he entered army in WW two. Pretty sure it was stolen from cabin on a ncl cruise many years ago. This is one of many reasons I no longer cruise ncl. 

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Wow Mic, that stinks. Reminds me off a very nice pinky ring my Dad gave me that I converted to a Mothers ring for my wife. One Christmas our son (around 10) gave her a fun ring he purchased. She took off the Mothers ring, put his on and then the Mothers ring got thrown away with all of the wrapping paper. 

Oh no, 

I suppose when you think about it, it is the sentimental attachment rather than the cost. Even though in my wife's case it was only a few hours of attachment, she was very upset.

• Like 1

The most expensive was a new digital camera that my wife left in a cafe in Little Havana.  She also had a gold earring blow off of the ship on our last cruise.  I don't count the magnetic flashlight that I left stuck to the wall in our cabin.  All-in-all that isn't too bad after 18 cruises.

27 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Hubby lost his phone on boarding day...found it in Lost and Found on departure day.  Other than that, we've lost nothing!  

Oh man, I hope it was in airplane mode!