When to tip your steward.

wowzz

First of all, this is not a thread about should you tip, how much do you tip, why should I tip etc.

After an exchange on another forum,  I would be interested to hear the opinions of experienced cruisers as to when is the appropriate time to tip your steward, assuming you may wish to leave a tip.

Do you tip at the start, during, or at the  end of the cruise ?

I obviously have my own thoughts,  but would welcome the opinions of others. 

We have always tipped at the end of the cruise, on the last evening. The same as we tip for any other service that we receive anywhere: after the service has been provided. The only exception has been when the steward has provided an extra (special) service that we have requested; then we tip extra at that time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

We tip first day, acknowledging our appreciation for their hard work to give us a great cruise, and reassure them that we also leave autotip in place.  Have never been disappointed.

Have you ever tried not tipping on the first day top see if the service is any different?

DON

• Like 3

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

Have you ever tried not tipping on the first day top see if the service is any different?

DON

Yeah, that just whispers "bribe" to me.  And what if you tip first and get average service?  Definitely at the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

1 hour ago, clo said:

Yeah, that just whispers "bribe" to me.  And what if you tip first and get average service?  Definitely at the end.

Agree with the both of you. I have always felt that tipping at the beginning is akin to telling the person "I don't trust you to give me good service so I am giving you money now so YOU will owe ME." It is a bribe, nothing else. 

bribe
/brīb/  verb

1. 1.
    persuade (someone) to act in one's favor by a gift of money or other inducement.
    "an undercover agent bribed the judge into giving a lenient sentence"
    synonyms: buy off, pay off, suborn, give an inducement to

We have never tipped on the first day and have never gotten bad service. In fact, many times we have gotten service that was better than expected and tipped more than the suggested amount.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

On cruises, tips are extended on the last evening.  It's not a tip as you go thing on a cruise....  Most cruise lines now charge the tips to your account...and the staff gets it when the cruise is over.  If you would like to tip additionally to someone, do it on the last evening.

38 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Some folks would call "tipping" before a service is performed "bribing." 

In any case, we offer an end-of-cruise additional gratuity to exceptional cabin stewards who have exceeded expectations (e.g., keeping the fridge stocked with Pellegrino). 

As aforementioned, the only other time I might tip other than the last day would be if s/he is leaving the ship mid-cruise.

1 hour ago, clo said:

32 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Agree with the both of you. I have always felt that tipping at the beginning is akin to telling the person "I don't trust you to give me good service so I am giving you money now so YOU will owe ME." It is a bribe, nothing else.

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Some folks would call "tipping" before a service is performed "bribing." 

Also to consider, for some of the cultures represented by the crew, the offer of a bribe (tipping at the beginning) is an insult and very offensive. It is considered by these cultures to be an accusation of an expectation of inferior work unless they are motivated by up-front payments. That, and the obvious caste system of master/servant it implies, as well as revealing a control mentality by the giver where he needs to feel "in-charge" and superior, makes the whole concept of tipping on the first day quite objectionable. 

Edited by sloopsailor

9 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Also to consider, for some of the cultures represented by the crew, the offer of a bribe (tipping at the beginning) is an insult and very offensive. It is considered by these cultures to be an accusation of an expectation of inferior work unless they are motivated by up-front payments. That, and the obvious caste system of master/servant it implies, as well as revealing a control mentality by the giver where he needs to feel "in-charge" and superior, makes the whole concept of tipping on the first day quite objectionable. 

What a superb description!  Thank you SO much.

15 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We prepay gratuities, not a problem.  Surprised no one has mentioned the easiest way to tip.  I do wish that at some close point in the future, tips will just get folded into the cabin fare.

They are on all the luxury lines. Of course, it's a case of pay me now or pay me later. There is no free lunch! 🤓

45 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We prepay gratuities, not a problem.  Surprised no one has mentioned the easiest way to tip.  I do wish that at some close point in the future, tips will just get folded into the cabin fare.

I believe most of us are speaking of tips over and above the autograts  ( whether they are prepaid or paid via shipboard account). If I'm not mistaken, the crew only receive autograts at the end of a cruise.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

the crew only receive autograts at the end of a cruise.

Which, while we've never experienced this, would that be the time to reduce if subpar service.  But I'm guessing you can't differentiate between cabin and dining.  

15 minutes ago, mom says said:

I believe most of us are speaking of tips over and above the autograts  ( whether they are prepaid or paid via shipboard account). If I'm not mistaken, the crew only receive autograts at the end of a cruise.

All gratuities, whether auto or cash, are held by the accounting department until after the end of the cruise when passenger accounts are reconciled and accounting knows who has or has not reduced or removed their gratuities. Since passengers can remove gratuities on the last day, it is impossible to know until after the cruise is over what are the final gratuity amounts to be distributed to each person in the pool.  

Edited by SantaFeFan

2 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

All gratuities, whether auto or cash, are held by the accounting department until after the end of the cruise when passenger accounts are reconciled and accounting knows who has or has not reduced or removed their gratuities. Since passengers can remove gratuities on the last day, it is impossible to know until after the cruise is over what are the final gratuity amounts to be distributed to each person in the pool.  

I'm pretty sure that what's being talked about is putting cash in the hand of the person.

2 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I feel the service is great and don't see a need to slip someone some money up front.  Unfortunately, I am sure that it works.  As well stated as your comments are, I do not think they are very accurate as far as offending the recipient.  Anyway, what are "these cultures" that would take such offense?   

In response to the OP’s question, we tip at the beginning.  If someone is spectacular on an extended cruise we may add something at the end.   Our Steward is aware through cabin and hallway conversations that we are thrilled to be sailing with them, value the service provided and recognize it entails long days and effort to anticipate needs.  I’m in my warm happy place on a cruise, and this works for us.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses so far. On another forum, when I suggested to a poster that his policy of giving his steward a "substantial " amount of cash at the start of a cruise was akin to bribery, I was roundly insulted by the individual concerned.

It is good to hear that my thoughts on the matter seem to be shared by the vast majority of posters so far. The master/servant relationship, and making the steward feel beholden to the money giver are especially apt, and make me feel uncomfortable in the extreme.

• Like 1