items on buffet you avoid every time

9 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

tilapia Mushy. No good. dense mashed potatoes, add butter or some milk from the coffee area. Bread only if it is not hard like a rock. The fish now you pay for. Sometimes they have mahi or grouper or snapper. reasonable price.

Lets clear the air.  Nearly all the Tilapia you will get on a cruise ship is farmed fish.   Like most farmed fish, this kind of Tilapia has little flavor and is OK for folks that like fish with no taste or decent texture.  Most cruise lines now use the less expensive farmed fish and try to salute its use by calling it "sustainable seafood."  While  we do salute their use of sustainable products we avoid that kind of fish like the plague because we truly like fresh seafood.  On cruises this means eating ashore in restaurants that have access to decent fresh seafood.  Another common farmed fish we are now seeing on ships is called Barrimundi.

We have oft posted that when cruising our of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) our best seafood dinner is the night before we board the ship when we generally dine in Kelly's Landing where we can get real Maine Lobster and excellent chowder.  If we happen to be on a cruise that docks in ports with decent fresh caught seafood then we will often plan on a nice long lunch ashore.  Many European, Caribbean and Asian ports have excellent seafood found in land-based restaurants.  I should also mention that we live in Puerto Vallarta (part of the year) we freshly caught Mahi Mahi and Red Snapper are quite common and delicious.

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lets clear the air.  Nearly all the Tilapia you will get on a cruise ship is farmed fish.   Like most farmed fish, this kind of Tilapia has little flavor and is OK for folks that like fish with no taste or decent texture.  Most cruise lines now use the less expensive farmed fish and try to salute its use by calling it "sustainable seafood."  While  we do salute their use of sustainable products we avoid that kind of fish like the plague because we truly like fresh seafood.  On cruises this means eating ashore in restaurants that have access to decent fresh seafood.  Another common farmed fish we are now seeing on ships is called Barrimundi.

We have oft posted that when cruising our of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) our best seafood dinner is the night before we board the ship when we generally dine in Kelly's Landing where we can get real Maine Lobster and excellent chowder.  If we happen to be on a cruise that docks in ports with decent fresh caught seafood then we will often plan on a nice long lunch ashore.

Hank

I remember some years ago visiting friends in the Keys.  She asked what we'd like to eat and I said "SHRIMP."  So we went to boat and got them.  It was a glorious dinner.  Wonder why you'd want Maine Lobster when you have such great shrimp?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, clo said:

Here's the lunch menu for the "buffet" on Oceania.  We think we're going to be spoiled 🙂

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/1714/Terrace-Cafe-Lunch.pdf

We loved the buffets on the smaller ships on Oceania, both breakfast and lunch. However, we haven't tried their larger ships yet, but I've heard the food is equally good! Nicole

7 minutes ago, Noodles84 said:

We loved the buffets on the smaller ships on Oceania, both breakfast and lunch. However, we haven't tried their larger ships yet, but I've heard the food is equally good! Nicole

We're going to be on the Marina with FOUR specialty restaurants!  Mmm 🙂

41 minutes ago, clo said:

I remember some years ago visiting friends in the Keys.  She asked what we'd like to eat and I said "SHRIMP."  So we went to boat and got them.  It was a glorious dinner.  Wonder why you'd want Maine Lobster when you have such great shrimp?

The thing about shrimp is that we can get excellent shrimp just about anywhere (on land).  We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter months where terrific shrimp large/jumbo sells for about half the price as in the USA.  But whole Maine lobster can only be found at restaurants and specialty markets willing to fly-in the live lobsters from New England or Canada.  On cruise ships you generally get inferior (tasting) warm water lobster tails which are a very distant cousin to Maine Lobster.  Besides, on our next cruise out of Florida we will be driving down to the Keys for a few days prior to the cruise so we can certainly get their shrimp...although we tend to favor fresh caught fish in the keys.  And by the way, many commercial shrimp boats freeze their catch right on the boats so the freshest shrimp is often just frozen shrimp.  And it is the same with lobster tails.  But fresh Maine lobster is kept alive until cooked.  In fact, many restaurants that serve this delicacy will let you pick out your own lobster from the tank (where they keep the lobsters alive).  Unlike shrimp (which freeze quite well) a whole Maine Lobster should be kept alive until cooked to avoid potential food poisoning.

Getting back to your question, Kelly's Landing (just off 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale) has fresh Maine Lobster and knows how to cook em!  The irony is that even though we live in the Northeast USA, it is very difficult to find live Maine Lobster in our local markets (even fish markets).  But fly south to Ft Lauderdale and one of our favorite restaurants has the lobster at prices that are very reasonable.

Hank

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The thing about shrimp is that we can get excellent shrimp just about anywhere (on land).  We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter months where terrific shrimp large/jumbo sells for about half the price as in the USA.  But whole Maine lobster can only be found at restaurants and specialty markets willing to fly-in the live lobsters from New England or Canada.  On cruise ships you generally get inferior (tasting) warm water lobster tails which are a very distant cousin to Maine Lobster.  Besides, on our next cruise out of Florida we will be driving down to the Keys for a few days prior to the cruise so we can certainly get their shrimp...although we tend to favor fresh caught fish in the keys.  And by the way, many commercial shrimp boats freeze their catch right on the boats so the freshest shrimp is often just frozen shrimp.  And it is the same with lobster tails.  But fresh Maine lobster is kept alive until cooked.  In fact, many restaurants that serve this delicacy will let you pick out your own lobster from the tank (where they keep the lobsters alive).  Unlike shrimp (which freeze quite well) a whole Maine Lobster should be kept alive until cooked to avoid potential food poisoning.

Getting back to your question, Kelly's Landing (just off 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale) has fresh Maine Lobster and knows how to cook em!  The irony is that even though we live in the Northeast USA, it is very difficult to find live Maine Lobster in our local markets (even fish markets).  But fly south to Ft Lauderdale and one of our favorite restaurants has the lobster at prices that are very reasonable.

Hank

Even here on the Left Coast we can get live Maine lobster.  At a price of course.  I'm disinclined to get lobster on a ship.  Can't believe they cook them live.  Kinda like Dungeness crab.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Even here on the Left Coast we can get live Maine lobster.  At a price of course.  I'm disinclined to get lobster on a ship.  Can't believe they cook them live.  Kinda like Dungeness crab.

We have never been on a cruise ship that served Maine Lobster.....even in the expensive alternative restaurants.   I do like crabs (including Dungeness) and in our part of the country we can get live Blue Crab which is wonderful...but a bit tricky to eat (how well do you swing a mallet) .  Last month we were on a short 10 day Celebrity cruise that called at both Bar Harbor and Boston.  In Bar Harbor I always get whole Maine Lobster for lunch while DW prefer lobster roll (made from fresh Maine lobster).  In Boston one of our favorite lobster places (James Hook & Company) is within a 20 min walk from the cruise ship pier.  Heading to Alaska later this month and I guess King Crab will have to work itself into our lunch plans :).  

Hank

1 hour ago, clo said:

LOL!  Why?  Too dried out?

I am by no means a picky eater, but even the sight of them (or egg salad) makes me gag!  Close to fifty years ago the woman who is now me darling wife and I went on a picnic when we were in college.  Of course we were broke back then and eggs are a relatively cheap dish.  I can remember the feeling of horror after we spread open the blanket and she opened the picnic basket!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

We have never been on a cruise ship that served Maine Lobster.....even in the expensive alternative restaurants.   I do like crabs (including Dungeness) and in our part of the country we can get live Blue Crab which is wonderful...but a bit tricky to eat (how well do you swing a mallet) .  Last month we were on a short 10 day Celebrity cruise that called at both Bar Harbor and Boston.  In Bar Harbor I always get whole Maine Lobster for lunch while DW prefer lobster roll (made from fresh Maine lobster).  In Boston one of our favorite lobster places (James Hook & Company) is within a 20 min walk from the cruise ship pier.  Heading to Alaska later this month and I guess King Crab will have to work itself into our lunch plans :).  

Hank

Your meals sound wonderful.  

Here's a photo from Uwajimaya, an Asian market in Seattle.

20190106_095203 - Edited.jpg

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Lets clear the air.  Nearly all the Tilapia you will get on a cruise ship is farmed fish.  

I avoid salmon on cruise ships for the same reason.  I've actually never asked because if they said it was wild caught I wouldn't believe it.  

Anyway, about food avoided on the buffet line, I guess it would be the same ones I avoid anywhere else.  Right off the top of my head that would be a NO to okra, eggplant,  mung beans, and ube (or anything using yams or sweet potatoes).

Edited by ldubs

44 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Right off the top of my head that would be a NO to okra, eggplant,  mung beans, and ube (or anything using yams or sweet potatoes).

I actually have no idea what those 4 things are. 🤣

44 minutes ago, ldubs said:

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I avoid salmon on cruise ships for the same reason.  I've actually never asked because if they said it was wild caught I wouldn't believe it.  

Anyway, about food avoided on the buffet line, I guess it would be the same ones I avoid anywhere else.  Right off the top of my head that would be a NO to okra, eggplant,  mung beans, and ube (or anything using yams or sweet potatoes).

ube is awesome.  and makes a very tasty soft serve.   seriously.  

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I actually have no idea what those 4 things are. 🤣

Okra: a leafy green, popular in the South

eggplant= aubergine

mung bean:  umm not sure how to describe.  not a lentil, not a split /dried pea but kinda similar.   

ube: a purple yam( or sweet potato)  of Japanese/Okinawan origin.  might even be used to make Poi..the taro plant is  similar.  

Cake...why is cruise cake so bad unless its special?

I also avoid sausages as US lines don't seem to do them right...same with cold cheeses unless I am really hankering for cheese.As I am also a chocolate fusspot I avoid almost all chocolate things too.

I have also had bad experiences with certain fish dishes so I approach those with caution.

Everything else is fair game...I am generally 'will eat most things' so I am always ok at the buffet.

Edited by Velvetwater

I won't eat the scrambled eggs at the buffet or MDR. They are almost always liquid egg stored in cartons. I didn't eat my soupy scrambled eggs in the MDR and the waiter asked if everything was okay. When I told him my issue, he had the chef make me a new order using fresh eggs.  Lesson learned!

I think the breakfasts are the worst.  Fresh made omelettes are usually good and all of the ships seem to have the same recipe for a tasty little cinnamon bun. Holland America had freshly made Eggs Benedict, but usually they are sitting under hot lights until they dry out.

Never try the biscuits- they simply don't understand a good biscuit!

If there is a specialty station, like Italian or Asian I think those generally have the best and freshest options. The carving stations are usually good.

Desserts are poor- all gelatin, mostly tasteless. Cookies are pretty good

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

HUHHHH????

Okra is not leafy as served.

Related image

Maybe you are thinking of collard greens???

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Royal Caribbean has Maine lobster in the MDR and Chops grill.  They are an extra charge item

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Crystal. Usually on the first black tie optional night. Not every cruise everywhere in the world, but often.

3 hours ago, spookwife said:

As has been mentioned, it's not leafy.  But have you ever seen it on a cruise ship?