items on buffet you avoid every time

what items on the buffet do you pass by every time? not necessarily dishes you dislike but ones you just don't eat on a cruise.  

here's mine: 

*tilapia - too many other options to select, inexpensive bottom feeder doesn't taste bad but im not scooping it on my plate. 

*mashed potatoes - I love em but so dense. 

*bread - another of my faves, but I avoid it at Sea. i consume too many other empty calories from Cheers package. 

pasta - see previous two comments. 

5 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

what items on the buffet do you pass by every time? not necessarily dishes you dislike but ones you just don't eat on a cruise.  

here's mine: 

*tilapia - too many other options to select, inexpensive bottom feeder doesn't taste bad but im not scooping it on my plate. 

*mashed potatoes - I love em but so dense. 

*bread - another of my faves, but I avoid it at Sea. i consume too many other empty calories from Cheers package. 

pasta - see previous two comments. 

tilapia Mushy. No good. dense mashed potatoes, add butter or some milk from the coffee area. Bread only if it is not hard like a rock. The fish now you pay for. Sometimes they have mahi or grouper or snapper. reasonable price.

Agree with buffet desserts - too often mushy gelatin based that looks pretty, tastes awful.    The exception is cookies - most are pretty good.    We also avoid the pre-cooked scrambled eggs at breakfast - terrible texture and taste; there are usually 'made-to-order' egg options that are much better.   

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

pre-made scrambled eggs

When we were on Hurtigruten, whose food is generally QUITE good, I found that either going to the bottom of the pan of scrambled eggs or along the top could sometimes give me what I wanted.  Soft, almost runny.

Come to think of it, most of the stuff at the buffet is better left at the buffet.  But,  I have never been unable to find something pretty decent: perhaps just some freshly sliced ham on a soft roll with a bit of lettuce and cut up fruit.  Sometimes the soups are good.

I have never been a competitive eater — I would never go up against some of the real contenders I have seen loading and reloading their plates - I wonder if they are readying for hibernation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have never been a competitive eater — I would never go up against some of the real contenders I have seen loading and reloading their plates - I wonder if they are readying for hibernation.

That's hilarious!  And I am the Queen of Not Wasting Food so  I hate to see it if they don't eat everything.