Cruise Pricing Gone Mad?

Luvcrusn

I was just browsing a few cruises for March 2020 Aqua Class A2. None are past final payment.

Reflection 11 night 3/2/20           $2799

Reflection 10 night 3/13/20        $2599

Reflection 11 night 3/23/20        $1949

Silhouette 12 night 3/15/20       $5869!!!!!!! (Concierge is $3919 AND Veranda is $2729)That's almost $2000 more for Aqua than Concierge and $3100 more than Veranda per person. 

What am I missing or is this a case of Celebrity IT Strikes Again?

• Like 2

Supply and demand - Cruise lines are opening sailings for booking earlier than ever (24-30 months out in some cases vs previous booking window being 18-24 months max), allowing them extra time (6-12 months or more additional selling time) to sell cabins.  The more cabins that are booked early the lower the supply closer in, hence higher fares.  Every ship/category/sailing date will have different pricing based on booking patterns.  Less bookings are cancelling before final payment as many lines have instituted non-refundable deposit fares in order to get the best price.  Also many cruise lines are focusing more on "value add" extra "perks" to lure new bookings at higher base fares instead of deeper discounts.

If you are flexible and can wait for "deals" (if there are any) then start searching within 90 days of sailing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Supply and demand - Cruise lines are opening sailings for booking earlier than ever (24-30 months out in some cases vs previous booking window being 18-24 months max), allowing them extra time (6-12 months or more additaddional selling time) to sell cabins.  The more cabins that are booked early the lower the supply closer in, hence higher fares.  Every ship/category/sailing date will have different pricing based on booking patterns.  Less bookings are cancelling before final payment as many lines have instituted non-refundable deposit fares in order to get the best price.  Also many cruise lines are focusing more on "value add" extra "perks" to lure new bookings at higher base fares instead of deeper discounts.

If you are flexible and can wait for "deals" (if there are any) then start searching within 90 days of sailing.

I get that, but the Silhouette cruise has at least 4 cabins available while the Reflection 3/13 has been sold out for weeks in Aqua and has only 1 cabin that popped back in yesterday.! I am comparing cruises that are within a 3 week time span on today's pricing, not to pricing when new deployments came out. Who is their right mind would pay those prices for Aqua on the Silhouette cruise? Insane!!!! Blu and Persian Gardens are nice, but not worth $3000 more per person!

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 2

It’s a crazy system. Currently I can select a Sky Suite on my sailing for 11 nights for $16,000 AUD with the four perks package and non refundable deposit of $800 AUD. Or I can select the refundable deposit and four perks package for $23,000 AUD. That’s almost a 50% price increase just in case I want to think about cancelling. 

When you can find better service, better itineraries, better food, much better small ship experience for a lower price on some Azamara cruises in the Med next April and May than comparable Celebrity itineraries, you know something is up.

Add to this non refundable deposits on Celebrity and the fact that drinks and gratuities are included on Azamara it’s a no brainer as to which line to pick. Even though they are both part of the same company. Le Club Voyage points earned on AZ are higher and automatically apply to Captains Club loyalty program, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RealBatman said:

Well... for a couple of hours this morning, this was the case!

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.58.42.jpeg

Did you try to book it?  I’m already booked on the 03/07/19 sailing but always check the pricing just in case.... when you try to book it none of the prices shown come up....   Still lots of cabins available but seems X’s IT Dept is hard at work again.

• Haha 1

We have a few more cruises booked into 2021 and considered canceling some because of the cost.    We now see how much those cruises have increased in cost and how much the other cruises are now.

We still have time to consider canceling but may take them as they might be our last time on a cruise with the way the prices are.  It is very hard to justify $600/day or more when we can get more value for our dollar doing other types of travel.

I know there are some still some good prices available but to cruise just to cruise isn’t our passion.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RickT said:

Did you try to book it?  I’m already booked on the 03/07/19 sailing but always check the pricing just in case.... when you try to book it none of the prices shown come up....   Still lots of cabins available but seems X’s IT Dept is hard at work again.

That 03/07/19 cruise  should now  be a real bargain as it was almost  8 months ago.   🤗.   Hope you didn’t miss it 😱😚

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🇺🇸

• Haha 1

I find the pricing is getting way out of line. I’m currently sitting in a Bali style Villa in Port Douglas, Queensland. It is hands down the best accommodation we have ever had, private pool, top of the line appliances, 3 bedrooms, it’s huge with complete inside/outside living. It is absolutely stunning. Why would I want to pay double the cost to cruise in a 222 sq ft room?  For those comfortable with land trips, the alternatives are endless. Link below if anyone wants a peek 

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/15359758?source_impression_id=p3_1574495627_eEtUYKDeJikNtGAl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I find the pricing is getting way out of line. I’m currently sitting in a Bali style Villa in Port Douglas, Queensland. It is hands down the best accommodation we have ever had, private pool, top of the line appliances, 3 bedrooms, it’s huge with complete inside/outside living. It is absolutely stunning. Why would I want to pay double the cost to cruise in a 222 sq ft room?  For those comfortable with land trips, the alternatives are endless. Link below if anyone wants a peek 

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/15359758?source_impression_id=p3_1574495627_eEtUYKDeJikNtGAl

Well yes but you can’t compare land experiences with a cruise. Chalk and cheese. 

Supply and demand... yes, of course!

However, Celebrity are getting extremely expensive compared to other cruise lines.

We are huge fans and Celebrity is our favorite line by far. We used to cruise Aqua only. Because of the prices we are now looking left and right. 

Last year we did a Japan cruise with HAL: 2,300 Euro per person for a balcony stateroom. Comparable cruise on Millennium: 4,800 Euro.

Spring 2021: Asia cruise on RCL Ovation: 1,600 Euro per person. Comparable on Millennium 3,300 Euro.

Celebrity is a great cruise line. But not so much better to justify double the price.

But as long as they fill the ships, they‘ll keep raising prices.... it’s business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Well yes but you can’t compare land experiences with a cruise. Chalk and cheese. 

Chalk and cheese maybe...but they are both vacations and we all make the decision every year how we will spend our vacation $$$

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:10 AM, ptrpanpens said:

When you can find better service, better itineraries, better food, much better small ship experience for a lower price on some Azamara cruises in the Med next April and May than comparable Celebrity itineraries, you know something is up.

Add to this non refundable deposits on Celebrity and the fact that drinks and gratuities are included on Azamara it’s a no brainer as to which line to pick. Even though they are both part of the same company. Le Club Voyage points earned on AZ are higher and automatically apply to Captains Club loyalty program, too.

It's a no brainer unless you are someone like me who unfortunately gets too seasick on the smaller ships like Azamara.  I'd love to do that if I could.

I agree prices these days can be crazy.  We cruise a lot now that we are retired, much prefer Celebrity, and have to put a lot more effort into finding decent prices these days.  That said, there are deals here and there.  Just sailed in a Sky Suite on Equinox for what we normally pay for our Aqua Class cabins, when 4 added perks are considered (which we almost always purchase).  This is only our 3rd suite in more than 50 cruises as we usually cannot afford the insane suite prices.  Found the same deal on the Connie in 2021 when they first released the sailings out of Tampa - same price for SS as for AQ (that was then; won't find that same price now).  We booked 10/11 night B2B's.  At the same time, we have passed up a number of other sailings we would have liked to go on as the prices were ridiculous. 

They are also very confusing, with different specials all the time and prices for this amount of perks versus that amount of perks versus what the TA will give you versus refundable deposit versus non-refundable deposit, etc..  It takes a math wizard and someone with a lot of time on their hands to determine the true costs.  Frustrating!  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

Been watching the March 15, 2020 NCL Joy cruise from LA.  Pricing for MA with all 4 perks was $2,942.74 last Saturday (the day final payment was due).  It dropped to $2,842.74 in the middle of this week and now this morning it is $3,762.74!  As far as I can tell, the same MA rooms (and there seem to be plenty) are still available.  It's not like they sold out over night.  Can't believe such a large increase within the final payment period.  Probably drop down on Black Friday and then they can claim a sale!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 11:07 PM, Luvcrusn said:

I was just browsing a few cruises for March 2020 Aqua Class A2. None are past final payment.

Silhouette 12 night 3/15/20       $5869!!!!!!! (Concierge is $3919 AND Veranda is $2729)That's almost $2000 more for Aqua than Concierge and $3100 more than Veranda per person. 

I’m looking at prices for February 2020 cruises and the prices seemed to have a tremendous upward spike across the board on Celebrity and Ncl as they were the ones I was considering. It might be a spike up to allow for Black Friday and cyber Monday deals to seem better.
Remember all it takes is an onboard sickness news flash to drive prices down.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:07 AM, Luvcrusn said:

Some of the new 2021 itineraries had aqua class rooms priced at £120 pppn more than a regular verandah. For that you could buy all four perks, dine in a specialty restaurant nightly and still have money left over. How Celebrity can justify such a premium is beyond me. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Some of the new 2021 itineraries had aqua class rooms priced at £120 pppn more than a regular verandah. For that you could buy all four perks, dine in a specialty restaurant nightly and still have money left over. How Celebrity can justify such a premium is beyond me. 

Just sad that prices have risen so dramatically.  We always book right when the new ones are released and were waiting for Iceland/Greenland TA.  Decided to just book a Pacific Coastal as that TA was so high.  We'll certainly be happy not having to fly (even one direction to Europe), but will have to keep Iceland on the bucket list for now.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:07 PM, Luvcrusn said:

Mine seem to be priced like that all the time...one of the reasons I can't see paying $800 more for Concierge PP!!!  Getting on the ship an hour earlier is definitely not worth it to me....I think the cruises where the prices are even close (within $500 or so) are older ships with Caribbean sailings.

We just booked Constellation's 2021 transatlantic from Rome to Tampa, 15 days, a balcony for $1806 pp.  Of course, without the unwanted promos.  This was a better price than 2020's Rome to Florida TA.

I did a price comparison with Princess and Royal (NCL didn't  have a good TA).

Royal didn't  have a TA from Rome in October 2021, but had one from Barcelona (had to add a 3 night cruise from Rome to Barcelona), that price for both for balcony was a hundred dollars more, as was the Princess cruise.  Glad that X is staying competitive on the cruises that we like.  We like Transatlantics.

• Like 1

It is what the market will bear.

People keep booking, over and over,  - 2 things have happened..... prices increase and the product is degraded - both these items are noted and discussed repeatedly on CC across all brands.

It was not always this way. Prior to 2015, Celebrity's product and pricing was fairly stable and when you booked - you knew you would get the same quality as your last voyage. Not today.

Any business that making the booking and pricing process as complex as many of you describe, that business is deliberately involved in scamming the consumer.

That is why like Cruise Junky noted, we have moved our vacation travel to land vacations (with the exception of the QM2 TA back from Europe) - with very satisfying results. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

It is what the market will bear.

People keep booking, over and over,  - 2 things have happened..... prices increase and the product is degraded - both these items are noted and discussed repeatedly on CC across all brands.

It was not always this way. Prior to 2015, Celebrity's product and pricing was fairly stable and when you booked - you knew you would get the same quality as your last voyage. Not today.

Any business that making the booking and pricing process as complex as many of you describe, that business is deliberately involved in scamming the consumer.

That is why like Cruise Junky noted, we have moved our vacation travel to land vacations (with the exception of the QM2 TA back from Europe) - with very satisfying results. 

I have to agree with you about the pricing. I have also been doing more land vacations. Even thought I just booked another cruise, It was over 2.5 times the price of my last few. Last one was in 2016 in concierge class and this one is sunset veranda. The only difference in extras is internet on this one. However I see you are also from Canada and our dollar has not been any help, but some other lines pricing are starting to look a little more appealing. 

• Like 1