Day 2 on Reflection - Stateroom attendant a ghost?

Elusive_Cruiser

Currently on our 14th cruise - 12th with Celebrity.  This is the 1st time that we have not been greeted onboard by our stateroom attendant.  And, now, after our 2nd day (sea day) we've yet to see or meet him/her.  Yes, our cabin was ready, and clean, when announced.  Yes, we had turn down last night.  Yes, he/she came in today, at some point and tidied.  Yes, he/she delivered our afternoon canapes.  And, yes, we got turn down tonight.  I'm just used to our attendant being engaged with us!  

We'll see what happens over the next few days, but if I don't see you, I'm not likely to want to tip you.  We generally tip our cabin attendants very well for looking after us (once at the beginning, and again at the end).  Today, I actually left a post-it-note for a couple of requests.  I've not ever had to do that in the past!

Good thing I now bring my own extra hangers so that I do not need to request these on embarkation day! Otherwise, I may have been stomping down the hall!!

I am really missing hearing "Good morning Mrs. H", "Good Afternoon Mrs. H".  And, if I had 2 coffees in my hands, they'd run up to open your cabin door for you.  This is one of those little touches that make you feel special. 

Are these days gone, or is this a 'one off'?

On the other hand... food and service at buffet and main dining room have been awesome. 🙂

You need face time and have an exchange of banal pleasantries before you consider the service tip worthy, or your cruise special?

If your room is being cared for as needed, is there really room for complaint? You don't need face time or post it notes in order to obtain additional things. Just pick up the phone and call. I realize that isn't at all "special", but it will get the job done. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 28

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I don’t need to see or hear from the attendant as long as my cabin is neat and tidy and things are being done. They are incredibly busy and hard working people and quite obviously he or she is doing their job. 

Agree, we find it quite magical that we leave our room and come back a while later and it is sorted!

OP, if you couldn’t contact your room attendant by phone with requests then I would worry if I hadn’t seen him but you can! I am sure he is probably thinking he never sees you either...simply your paths haven’t crossed, phone and ask him to visit if you want him to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

surprising tho didn’t introduce themselves first day.

I don’t think they have an assistant now, so they will be very busy.

The perk with our next booking is pre paid tips ( from Southampton) so they are even less likely to come to introduce themselves, as they assured of their tips.

I always see the cabins attendants in the hall as I come & go both in the morning & evening.  Even if I don’t see them I see their carts in a cabin doorway.  If I had not met my attendant and needed something I would seek out the attendant working closest to my cabin, introduce myself and ask if they were the attendant for my cabin.  If not they should know who is and will pass the word you have a request. 

• Like 1

We were on Silhouette recently for 9 nights and never saw our cabin attendant except for the one time he wanted to clean before we had left for the day.  He did a wonderful job with turn-down and cleanliness.  I personally liked the anonymity.  It felt very private and exclusive in that my room was magically cared for while I was off cruising the day away.  We left him a nice tip on the counter for his attention to detail.  As for the greetings and the opening of the door when my hands are full...well I have seen this done by many stateroom attendants and it is nice, it's not a deal breaker for us...it's why I bring my DH along 😉.

OP, if your service starts to lack, then I would definitely say something to someone, but otherwise, I say enjoy the silent behind the scenes treatment provided by your room attendant because in a few days, it will all be over!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Seems like anything desired is being done. If I offer a "Welcome, Sir/Madam!" to you on behalf of the busy attendant, will you please tip him or her?

We didn't see our attendant on Reflection until the 2nd day. He was wonderful. I do wish, however, that they would leave a card with their names so we would know who to ask for or who to talk nicely about at GS or to other pax--not to mention the spelling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like the perfect stateroom attendant to me.

same here.

don’t need to become their BFF. 

For us there isn’t really any need to see them unless there is a problem and that can usually be solved with a phone call.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 6

I wouldn't be overly concerned as it appears everything required by the attendant is being completed at the usual high standard with the exception of actually meeting them.  There could be several reasons why you have not been able to connect; the most obvious one being your schedules have not coincided.

A few years ago we did a B2B and during the first segment the attendant was always visible and around.  On the second leg we did not meet the new attendant until the third day. We knew it was a changeover situation and we were aware the first attendant was going home. The situation was very much as you described your situation, all the required functions were completed in an exemplary manner, we just had not seen or met the new attendant. On the third day the attendant reached out and introduced herself, apologized for not connecting earlier, and chatted with us.  She indicated there were some "issues" with other guests which needed attending too.  It became apparent within a few days the reason we saw very little of her was the l;evel of care she actually put forth in her job.  She was doing a deep clean on every cabin she took over, to ensure they were up to her standards.  In fact, she found a pair of eye glasses in the room which she assumed were ours...who knows how long they had been there.

If there is something I require urgently I will pick up the phone and call the attendant. Their telephone number is attached to a speed dial button.  Otherwise we just leave  a note on the desk with our request, and it is fulfilled when they next visit the room.  I think this is just a "one off" situation, and not the new normal.

I, as well as others, are a little disheartened at the implication you would not reward the attendant for looking after you solely because you had never met them.  I understand the personal connection is missing, and would suggest you call them and ask them to drop by and meet.

Enjoy the Reflection, we sailed on her this past June and enjoyed every minute.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I wish the same thing could happen with some of the smarmy cruise directors!  😀😀😀

Seriously, I have noticed that today's cabin stewards seem to be busier.  In the old days I think it was common for them to introduce themselves shortly after you occupied the room.  These days, it still happens, at least for us, but might be much later.  Part of it might be all of the special requests from fellow passengers that must be attended to in order to avoid a complaint.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why would anyone withhold a tip or have reason to complain . Comment starts with  “ Our room was ready, clean, we had turn down service last night.” OMG really , never knew they were there to be part of the entertainment. They have so much work to complete. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've had some that are like that.  We call them stateroom ninja's.  They sneak in and clean and tidy up, always missing us.  I don't worry as long as my room is looking great.  
In one case, it turned out that our attendant had been quarantined by the Dr on board (he wasn't contagious, but his face was all swollen due to a tooth issue, and they didn't want him out in public, which was silly).  As a result, a couple of the public area cleaners had been tasked with learning the stateroom attendant job and were being supervised by an experienced colleague while she taught them, and even though the assistants were no longer a thing, these three people had double the number of rooms normally assigned.  So, they were hussling!  We were on a B2B and finally met our SA and found out the situation at the very end of the cruise.  The biggest complaint we had were due to the different levels of rooms - we were in a C2, but some of the rooms down the hall were not CC rooms, and the SAs were struggling to keep it all straight.  We knew what to expect, though, so left notes asking and then we received what we expected.  

• Like 1

Some very interesting responses to my original post, and I thank you all for your perspective.  To those that were thoughtful, I thank you.  To those of you who were less than thoughtful... I've nothing to say.

The largest lesson learned by me, by you more thoughtful respondents, was not to affect the tip for someone who was providing quality service.  And, no, I do not need my cabin attendant to be my therapist, I just like the personal touch and, after 10+ Celebrity cruises, have always had that - this is the 1st time that I have not.

pH

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3