Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

17 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not everyone goes to bars to socialize. Sometimes it is just to get a drink and wind down. WITHOUT having to socialize.

I agree, sounded to me like the OP was unhappy that people were on their phones instead of socializing with him.  I have no desire to socialize just because I'm at a bar.

• Like 4

The Princess Medllion:

We overheard a woman ask the desk to advise her where her friend were at that moment so she could join them.  The desk did something and said they were in their cabin.  The woman replied that they couldn't be because she had knock on their door multiple times and there is no answer.  The desk person silently stood there with a her customary smile.  After a long silence the woman said "Oh", and left

But to the point of today's sailing.  Perhaps it is time for a cruise line to offer us tranquil passage with no golf, no race cars, no tennis, no water slides, no wall climbing, no zip lines and no electronics?  As two who do not have cell phones nor ever will, we would be aboard.  Anyone else?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ONT-CA said:

Perhaps it is time for a cruise line to offer us tranquil passage with no golf, no race cars, no tennis, no water slides, no wall climbing, no zip lines and no electronics?  As two who do not have cell phones nor ever will, we would be aboard.  Anyone else?

Perhaps you could try to organize a Luddites' charter cruise. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Alas, no. I am posting from my iPad, wishing I could be on a ship😉

I’m reading it, and I guess posting, from my iPad on the Equinox😜. Getting ready for dinner soon !

mac_tlc

• Like 1

I am retired now but used to work in hospital administration at a major medical center. One of my main reason for cruising back in the old days was I could completely disappear. I am elite+ now and use the internet perk maybe 30 minutes to periodically check my email and get airline boarding pass,  

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ONT-CA said:

no electronics?  As two who do not have cell phones nor ever will, we would be aboard.  Anyone else?

Love the Medallion story!  But to your question, for me the answer is no.  We just don't live in that reality anymore.  The truth is, technology advancements have changed the way in which we live and respond to the world and unless there's some sort of zombie apocalypse,  I just don't see it changing.  I think it's great that you can completely unplug when you cruise...and presumably other times as well.  But clearly we have a generational situation that prohibits many...most of us from unplugging.  Not only that, I don't want to completely unplug.  I  like  being connected...even when I cruise.  But even more than that, the information age and instantaneous aspect associated with technology won't let people unplug.  Texting and e-mail place demands on the workforce that has created more work...not less.  My DH is a commercial land developer and owns his own company.  Nobody cares if he's out of the country on a cruise.  The e-mails pile up and the texts keep coming because people want what they want when they want it!  Our livelihood relies on staying connected because the moment we disconnect and become unavailable, that's the moment that his clients will find someone else who is connected.  Is it sad?  Perhaps for some.  But it is the reality we live in.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

As two who do not have cell phones nor ever will, we would be aboard.  Anyone else?

We each have a cell phone (not smartphones). We only take one cell phone when we cruise and as soon as we get to the stateroom it's turned off and stays in the safe until the cruise is over. No laptops either. Unplugged on all of our vacations (land or sea). Even before retiring. 

• Like 2

The Princess Medllion:

We overheard a woman ask the desk to advise her where her friend were at that moment so she could join them.  The desk did something and said they were in their cabin.  The woman replied that they couldn't be because she had knock on their door multiple times and there is no answer.  The desk person silently stood there with a her customary smile.  After a long silence the woman said "Oh", and left

But to the point of today's sailing.  Perhaps it is time for a cruise line to offer us tranquil passage with no golf, no race cars, no tennis, no water slides, no wall climbing, no zip lines and no electronics?  As two who do not have cell phones nor ever will, we would be aboard.  Anyone else?

"We overheard a woman ask the desk to advise her where her friend were at that moment so she could join them.  The desk did something and said they were in their cabin. " 

To me, that's an invasion of privacy...the desk person was way out of line reporting on the whereabouts of a cruiser...friend or not.  I would not want anyone to have that ability to track me (except DH...and that's only sometimes...LOL).

• Like 1

Give the patrons at the Martini bar a break.  They may have been looking on Celebrity’s App looking at the nights menu or the nights activities.   Or in my case looking at Drinks Free that is a app  with drink recipes to see what o may want to try next.

No matter want they were doing I don’t care.   To me it is better than a loud drunk party of 4 or 6 that wants every one the ship to know that they are having a great time with  very loud talking, cackling, and then yelling out to the BT at the other end of the bar that they need another, or yelling to talk to others at the bar that don’t really want to be involved with the obnoxious party.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

Thats one of the reasons we enjoy sailing with Azamara.  Its like coming home: they welcome you "back" and the environment is more "old world" family than new tech.  Best conversations with quests, mostly non-US - and the worst!  Worst being profiled as an "old white guy" and Obama hater.  Not the case.  Thirty years in uniform and another 12 serving as a senior DoD civilian and teaching national security strategy provides more than an "old white guy" perspective.  

Not that we don't use the internet connection while traveling for connectivity from family and a quick look at world events...

3 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

The Princess Medllion:

Note to self. Reconsider impulse to give Princess a try😂

Seriously though, I thank you, and everyone else, for mentioning the Princess surveillance issues. This makes me more uncomfortable than fellow passengers using their personal electronic devices while on board.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

"We overheard a woman ask the desk to advise her where her friend were at that moment so she could join them.  The desk did something and said they were in their cabin. " 

To me, that's an invasion of privacy...the desk person was way out of line reporting on the whereabouts of a cruiser...friend or not.  I would not want anyone to have that ability to track me (except DH...and that's only sometimes...LOL).

It’s such an invasion of privacy it’s hard to believe it happened and so publicly it could be heard by other passengers. Perhaps you can authorize certain people for this kind of access; for instance children, parents or spouse.

Edited by Oville

44 minutes ago, Oville said:

It’s such an invasion of privacy it’s hard to believe it happened and so publicly it could be heard by other passengers. Perhaps you can authorize certain people for this kind of access; for instance children, parents or spouse.

Not that I plan on cruising with Princess, but if I did that medallion would be kept in an RFID purse for the whole cruise!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

The Princess Medllion:

Probably not. We unfortunately still work so husband needs to work from ship so that we can go on these great vacations. I can go without the bells and whistles of the slides and zip lines. I wonder how many of you asking for us tech people to give up our devices would cruise in an inside cabin or give up your drink package?

• Like 4

I'll just point out that Apple did not make the first mobile phone, nor did they make the first smartphone.  

The only issue I have with mobile phone use on the ships is when people use the sound without ear buds or headphones.  I would like to see the cruise lines start to police that as they do on public transportation and planes.  Those rules should be coming in the near future.  

7 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

Sorry. Rowboats don't appeal to me.

Edited by bizeemom4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

We each have a cell phone (not smartphones). We only take one cell phone when we cruise and as soon as we get to the stateroom it's turned off and stays in the safe until the cruise is over. No laptops either. Unplugged on all of our vacations (land or sea). Even before retiring. 

This is us too. We started cruising in our early thirties 12 or so years ago and this is what we have done every cruise. The only screen we have done is maybe play a game for 10 minutes to unwind before bed, but it isn’t connected to internet. The only TV we have watched is if there is a Packer game on. 

I realize this doesn’t work for all, but for us it is nice to have a screen break, since I can’t seem to put them down at home;) 

• Like 2

Let people do as they will and only worry about yourself.  My last cruise I took my granddaughter because my husband was not feeling well so we video instant messaged him every morning to check in and to rest his mind that his wife and granddaughter were fine.  Please do not judge people when you are not in their shoes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

This is us too. We started cruising in our early thirties 12 or so years ago and this is what we have done every cruise. The only screen we have done is maybe play a game for 10 minutes to unwind before bed, but it isn’t connected to internet. The only TV we have watched is if there is a Packer game on. 

I realize this doesn’t work for all, but for us it is nice to have a screen break, since I can’t seem to put them down at home;) 

And to get away from Cruise Critic. 🤣

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Probably not. We unfortunately still work so husband needs to work from ship so that we can go on these great vacations. I can go without the bells and whistles of the slides and zip lines. I wonder how many of you asking for us tech people to give up our devices would cruise in an inside cabin or give up your drink package?

When we first started cruising we did inside staterooms and it was long before the BPs were introduced. Not a big deal for us. 

This entire thread is crazy.

OP... respectfully, get a life and stop commenting on what others may do.  Their use of electronic devices should be of NO concern to you.

No one here should "justify" or "sanctify" the use (or non use) of their electronics while on holiday.  Thank GOD we have the ability to connect or disconnect...  

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1