To use or not to use public toilets on board.

chabad

You have to do what you think makes you comfortable. I venture to say that the public toilets

are usually very clean  as they clean them continuously. That said I would use a towel to open the door and

make sure I wash my hands thoroughly.

• Like 1

I have no qualms about using public toilets.  If I returned to my cabin every time I needed to use the facilities, it would seriously cut into my drinking time.  🙂

Serious though, I am religious about washing my hands, and if the door is not automated, using a paper towel to open the door upon leaving.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

we avoid public restrooms - wash our hands constantly, never use the chemicals in the buffet... we have learned to set the cabin temperature at the lowest setting for heat before going to bed, so we don't have the cold air from the air conditioning blowing on us all night while sleeping... we avoid shaking hands with others as well.  Helps to keep us healthy when traveling

I have no qualms about using the public restrooms on cruise ships. As others have said, they are typically very clean and are cleaned constantly.  

That said, no matter where I go, I always make sure to wash my hands thoroughly and repeatedly, especially before eating; and I try to avoid touching my mouth (though I am not obsessive about it).

One thing I can say about using a public restroom is that it is highly (and disturbingly) educational with respect to other passengers' hand-washing habits. In my experience, the vast majority of passengers I see "washing their hands" in public restrooms do no more than stick their hands under the water for a second, dry them and leave. This does absolutely nothing to actually clean their hands; and if that's how they "wash their hands" when they think others might be watching, just imagine what they do (or don't do) in the privacy of their own cabins.

Regardless of where you choose to "relieve yourself", I highly recommend being conscious of your own "sanitation". That's the best way to help assure you will not become ill on a cruise.

We have more than 30 cruises under our belts, have always used the public restrooms regularly, and have never once gotten Norovirus (knock wood), even on ships that were on alert because it was present.

I don't know if that's helpful, but it's my 2¢.

Happy cruising.

I always take the stairs if I possibly can, need the exercise, and avoid using the handrail if possible. If I do use the lift I use a knuckle to press the buttons and again don't hold the handrails. Followed by a handwash as soon as possible afterwards. 

Using public toilets should be OK as long as one practices good hygiene.   Do not touch your face, scrub your hands with warm soapy water, and do not touch any surfaces including the door or door handle.  Similar to another post, we have managed to avoid Noro despite having spent far more then 1000 days on cruise ships.  Our secret is to simply wash our hands, often, and minimize touching our face, eyes, nose, and mouth.

Hank

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

we avoid public restrooms - wash our hands constantly, never use the chemicals in the buffet... we have learned to set the cabin temperature at the lowest setting for heat before going to bed, so we don't have the cold air from the air conditioning blowing on us all night while sleeping... we avoid shaking hands with others as well.  Helps to keep us healthy when traveling

"Chemicals in the buffet"?